Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hmmm: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=868792473131545&id=126630270681106

Should I keep or ditch the ale segment?

Thinking here in terms of the future of the show. Is it possible that this "unprofessional" segment (as one viewer put it) is holding back the show?
This ale segment is very characteristic. I have no idea what ales are like but it's kinda cool.

Multi-headed Cow

Hmmm: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=868792473131545&id=126630270681106

Should I keep or ditch the ale segment?

Thinking here in terms of the future of the show. Is it possible that this "unprofessional" segment (as one viewer put it) is holding back the show?

The only thing that's holding him back is he's a boring personality doing interviews of obscure 80's - 90's video game people. I love what he does, but he needs to understand that what he's doing is niche, and niche only, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't care one way or the other about the beer segment, although I do lean towards having it, since it adds an adult theme to his show and I do like knowing about weird booze from wheveristan.
Yep. Matt Chat is never going to be a big mainstream Youtube hit, and I don't see anyone being upset about the ale of the week. Sometimes I watch it, sometimes I don't. Never felt bothered by it being there, always assumed it was just something Matt liked doing. Which I thought that was the entire reason for the interviews, too. If he's trying to get fat Youtube bux out of it (Which he may be I guess since he's knocked out a few books) then I guess drop ale of the week since it is slightly unprofessional/unrelated. If he's just doing it 'cause he likes it then who gives a shit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Matt's problem is how he can't sell himself. People annoyed him to make a goddamn trailer for his channel for years, and when he finally does it's a 4 minute video of him talking about how he fell in love with Pool of Radiance, in a very creepy way, AND NOT SHOWING ONE FUCKING INTERVIEW!!!11

Also, those dorky & extremist things he does... Woodhead calling modern gamers "pussies" is cool by itself, you don't have to add a fanfare before it and then obsess over it so much that even Woodhead looks like he regretted saying that...

And he should try to get his message across the internet. He made that "History of RPGs" series on Gamasutra that had a lot of repercussion, but haven't posted anything there since 2010.

Gord

Arcane
Even though it's extremely unlikely I'll ever drink one of those ales, it would be sad if he'd ditch the segment.
Especially since it's certainly not the reason he doesn't have more success. I doubt that strict teetotallers make up a significant fraction of people interested in what he's doing.

Anyway, as others have said, he's doing something quite niche and not the type to attract a large mainstream audience. Which is fine, really, since the thing he is doing, he's doing good, imo, and I likely wouldn't be watching him otherwise.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Matt has many points in Intelligence but not enough in Charisma imo. While guys like Spoony have it the other way around.
Also, many people he interviews are not very fun people too. Many of them are old derpers and businessmen who stopped making games long time ago and have little insight in what gaming is today, and no passion. For developers like Avellone, Cain and Urquhart games continue to be their life. For many others it's days long time passed.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only thing that's holding him back is he's a boring personality
No u.

Matt is not boring. His reviews are insightful, entertaining and often funny. For this reason I would very much want to see his Goldbox video. He just usually does not interject his personality into the interviews too much - and that is a good thing, because the interviewees are supposed to be the focus.

His main problem is that he is not very good at selling himself. I guess he lacks a certain type of charisma and feel for audience expectations (things @feliepepepe mentioned come to mind). The rather niche theme of the channel does not help very much, and his chocie of guests is sometimes not ideal. The chiptune Polish guy was just awful - I mean, he could barely speak English and had nothing interesting to say anyway - this interview should not have appeared on the channel.

I do not mind the beer segment, even if I rarely watch it these days (and i watched it for a long time, even though I do not drink) - still, I do not see a reason to get rid of it.

EDIT: partially ninja'ed by Shadenuat.

Destroid

Arcane
I wonder does Matt do all the editing on his own? A second pair of eyes might improved the product, although I can't really complain, I just watch interviews with the people that interest me and for those he has been excellent thus far. I feel like mostly the personality of the devs he is interviewing dominates the show, Chris Taylor for example was very personable, while the Wizardy guy was full of pauses and slightly awkward moments. Still an interesting interview.

Destroid

Arcane
I still really want to see an interview with Ken Burd (Master of Orion 1+2, Master of Magic), but have found no way to contact him. According to linkdin he's a designer at Cryptic Studios these days.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sandy is still around! :love:

So it's almost 3am and I don't have time to watch the videos just now, but does he talk about his days at id? He was extremely influential on the design of their best games after all (Doom, Doom 2 and Quake).

Gonna watch these as soon as I can.

Finally got around to watch Matt Chat 168 myself. I laughed out loud when Petersen told about him showing off what he was working on (Doom) to his old colleagues at Micro-Prose and Arnold Hendricks kept saying "We would never be allowed to do something like this here. Never. Never!" :lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Matt should have had a sidekick with him, someone who's an expert on whichever game is the current topic, to come up with follow-up questions on the fly. It's frustrating to watch all those wasted opportunities to get some interesting details.

The show/channel is already more about quality than quantity, so instead of so many interviews, some of which are too obscure and uninteresting to even all but the very most hard core geek, go for fewer interviews, but with more attention to detail, and don't let those chances of good follow-up questions escape.

Destroid

Arcane
Having a sidekick would drastically increase the production costs of the show though (or at least drastically reduce Matt's personal revenues).

Multi-headed Cow

Matt thinking MMX used the LoG engine, then saying they copied the grid based movement thing, then shitting all over MMX. LoG's more enjoyable than MMX, but still. :rpgcodex:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Matt has many points in Intelligence but not enough in Charisma imo. While guys like Spoony have it the other way around.
I think it's the other way around. I think Spoony is more intelligent than Matt but Matt is more charismatic than Spoony.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The past and the future

groucho2-sm.jpg

cropped-293173_895410758061_1770235062_n-624x343.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think it's the other way around. I think Spoony is more intelligent than Matt but Matt is more charismatic than Spoony.
Nope.
I think the Lord British videos show something else. Spoony not only doesn't have charisma but more, he sounds like an embarrassing guy to be around.
On the other hand Matt sounds and looks cool, at last until he starts talking retarded shit like in case of violence in games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Montgomery sounds like a really cool guy, may he rest in peace. The Legend of Grimrock videos were boring on the other hand, which was caused by the guy being a not too interesting person, with monotone english.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom