Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 397: Interview with Leonard Boyarsky, Part Three

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III; Leonard Boyarsky; Matt Barton; Obsidian Entertainment; Temple of Elemental Evil; Tim Cain; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

The third and final episode of Matt Barton's interview with Leonard Boyarsky is all about his post-Interplay, post-Fallout years. It's the most interesting part of the interview in my opinion, because it reveals just how full of regret Leonard is about this part of his career. He spares no words in describing how Troika mismanaged the development of Arcanum due to the naive idea that they could replicate the favorable conditions of Fallout's development at their own company with a skeleton crew. And how their choice to work with the unfinished Source engine crippled the development of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, something which ended up severely damaging his health and has left him traumatized to this day.

Leonard also has regrets about his work on Diablo 3 at Blizzard, which is something he's talked about before - though interestingly in this interview he also seems to put some of the blame for the game's problems on a lack of decisive leadership at higher levels of management. However, in retrospect, Leonard's biggest regret is not putting more of Troika's top writing talent on The Temple of Elemental Evil, which he believes has harmed the game's legacy in comparison with the studio's other two titles.

In summary, it's Leonard's belief that he was extremely lucky with Fallout, and he's never been able to replicate that experience since. The interview does end on a positive note though, when a jovial Tim Cain shows up and starts up an impromptu dual interview. They talk a bit about the circumstances that led to Leonard leaving Blizzard to work on Obsidian's unrevealed new project, but there are no new details. Let's hope, however, that they finally manage to unlock some of that Fallout magic.

Doma

Augur
Man, when he talks about how he still has ptsd from working on Vampire and have not played it since... :(

Diggfinger

Arcane
Man, when he talks about how he still has ptsd from working on Vampire and have not played it since... :(

Thought that was really strong, too. Had no idea the game's development affected him that much. Puts his whole burnout period in perspective.

Btw. I advise you all to check out Leonard's new website. Has tons of cool art, both from his games and other stuff.
I kept this one as background screen on my work PC for awhile, which led to no small amounts of bemused looks and funny questions:

cr=w:800,h:500,a:cc

Paul_cz

Arcane
Fuck me, that hit hard. Bloodlines is one of the best games ever made, hearing that Leon wasn't even able to play it since shipping due to all the painful memories is fucking heartbreaking.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Really great interview, Matt. You can really tell both Leonard and Tim are bursting at the seams to revea their next game andl what it is.. and yea, quite obviously it's gonna be a sci-fi thing.

Leonard hates true-fantasy, and they alrdy did fantasy + steampunk with arcanum, so thats out of the way. they did post-apoc with fallout so yea.. sci.fi is what they havent really done.

Incredible talk by leonard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It might be a dream team, but how can they make an old-school game when the rest of the team will be millennials who grew up playing the Elder Scrolls?

Because Lenny and Cain will tell them what to do and how to do it. Sort of like: Stfu and listen and do this sort of situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom