Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Matt Chat 396: Interview with Leonard Boyarsky, Part Two

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Fallout; Interplay; Leonard Boyarsky; Matt Barton

The second episode of Matt Barton's interview with Leonard Boyarsky is dedicated almost entirely to the development of Fallout. Much of this will be familiar to our readers - the story of how Leonard got on the Fallout team, how he came up with its 50s-flavored setting and aesthetic, the creation of the Vault Boy, and the dispute with Steve Jackson that led the replacement of GURPS with SPECIAL. More interesting is Leonard's discussion of how he became involved in writing and design despite his official role as art director. According to Leonard, it's precisely his lack of a background in writing that may have allowed him to design scenarios with convincing and naturalistic choice & consequence.

Another interesting bit is Leonard's claim that the original Wasteland had very little influence on Fallout. Apparently he only played Wasteland for the first time quite late in the game's development, and the only Wasteland references in it are minor easter eggs like Tycho's background as a Desert Ranger. The interview ends with the story of how he, Tim Cain and Jason Anderson left Interplay to form Troika, but more about that in the next episode.

• Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hey TimCain, how true is this really? Fallout's entire main storyline seems parallel to Wasteland's, with a mutant invasion instead of a robot invasion (though I guess that could be a coincidence). And on a mechanical level you've got both games' championing of a skill-based RPG system.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cross Scholar

Cross
    Parrots:
    He's not the only one. In his GDC retrospective, Tim Cain says he also didn't play Wasteland until development on Fallout began, although many others on the development team had. The idea that Fallout started out as a deliberate successor to Wasteland always struck me as Fargo exaggerating his creative involvement with Interplay/Black Isle games to make his Kickstarter campaigns more succesful, and doesn't line up with how others describe Fallout's development.

And most of those 'similarities' are just grasping at straws:

:roll: Really now?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Even if Tim and Leonard didn't play Wasteland, it's worth asking if they weren't at some point early on asked to replicate Wasteland's basic design goals as read from a box cover or feature bullet point list.

"Post-apocalypse, check. Evil horde invading from military base, check. Techno-cult, check. Power armor, check. Skill-based roleplaying system, check."

That would make Fallout, not a spiritual successor to Wasteland, but a kind of blind reinterpretation of it. The concept of Wasteland as developed by somebody else.

• Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Davaris Arcane

Davaris
    Parrots:

"Strange world, check. Evil horde invading from some place, check. Magic-cult, check. Magic armor, check. Skill-based roleplaying, check."

Hey its a plot for an RPG.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    As I said in my earlier post, the overall plot similarity between Fallout and Wasteland might indeed be a coincidence. But I think fantasy/D&D tropes are more universal and thus more likely to be replicated coincidentally.

In the interview, Leonard says they started out making a Mad Max-like post-apocalyptic RPG without the 50s stuff - which is what Wasteland was like. But in fact we know that there were different concepts for what became Fallout even before that, really weird ones like the dinosaur time travel stuff. Does it not make sense then that Wasteland was the direct inspiration when they did switch to the post-apocalypse?

^ Top  
  7. conan_edw Educated

conan_edw
    Parrots:
    but what about my indiana:argh:

^ Top  
  8. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    I think both Tim and Leonard stated abundantly clear that Wasteland was not a major influence.
    As mentioned, Tim said in GDC talk that he only played it later, and now Leonard said (again) that we hadnt played it and that it didnt change anything design-wise.

Maybe Anderson had played it - since he drafted the story for Wasteland 2 before the Kickstarter, that would be interesting to know...

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Cavalier Oblique. After all these years, we now know the answer....

:salute:

• Old x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. i.Razor Learned Patron

i.Razor
    Parrots:
    Very Interesting

^ Top  
  11. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    part 3 of the interview out not now!!

Talks about
    Arcanum, Diablo 3, and VTM: Bloodlines

Show Spoiler
    SPECIAL-GUEST APPEARANCE BY TIM CAIN!!!
    :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Infinitron can you please rate this post 'old' and move to relevant spot?
    Seems I cant post in this forum. Thx.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Old Old x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    Hate it when people confuse it with isometric, losers:roll:

It's like assholes incapable of distinguishing randomness with uniform permutation without repetition:hahano:

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    So the video is not out?
    Show Spoiler
    :positive:

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)