Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 300: Half of a Chris Avellone Interview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Matt Barton

For the 300th episode of his show, Matt Barton decided to interview Chris Avellone - mainly about his involvement with the recently announced Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, it seems. Unfortunately, something got fucked up and the audio track for the main part of the interview was lost, leaving only 13 or so minutes of Q&A about miscellaneous stuff. In that time, Chris talks a bit about his failure to make it into Bard's Tale IV, and about the types of genres and games he'd like to work on after he's done with his current projects. He seems to be interested in working on a game that doesn't utilize a traditional RPG "talking head" set-up for dialogue. He'd also like to work on a "mundane" hard science fiction game. Chris hasn't forgotten his Arcanum LP, but he's postponing that in order to help create more content for Torment and Siege of Dragonspear.

To fill in the rest of the episode, Matt added an additional part of his ongoing interview with MUD pioneer Richard Bartle, but I haven't been following that. Perhaps he can submit the audioless part of the Avellone interview to a lip reader for transcription?

m_s0

Arcane
Just send it to Avellone for some ADR. Clearly, he's got time to waste on pointless crap :smug:

Athelas

Arcane
This 'accident', that coincidentally left the answers to the non-specific questions perfectly intact, obviously happened because he accidentally talked about stuff that was covered by an NDA. :M

Ninjerk

Arcane
This 'accident', that coincidentally left the answers to the non-specific questions perfectly intact, obviously happened because he accidentally talked about stuff that was covered by an NDA. :M
I bet he dished the dirty details of his split with Sawyer and Obsidian.

Deleted member 7219

Jesus Christ. Should have done the interview all over again.

4too

Arcane
Happy Accident

Less MCA more Richard Bartle seems a happy accident.

Quoting an ex on spending the rent, “‘there will always be more money’”.

At the Codex, There will always be more MCA.

Not an MMO person.

BUT

Watch this for Richard Bartle.

Fascinated by his views on how franchises design their way to failure by reaching for a mythic brass ring oft times referred to as the casual market.

I’ll try to paraphrase and focus to a point.

Only so many potential customers at any given time,

jettisoning a significant number of old guard may lose more paying players than gain.

e.g. POE’s alleged bait and switch, is passed water, will sink or swim on being the best for what it is, then what it isn’t.

Will gain less from BG mirages, spiritual mysticism, hinges on the Victory of the “fuhrer’ principle” that seized the means of production.

Mine Bartle’s commentary for the big picture. Sample comments that may support Codex niche arguments.

4too

4too

Arcane
!Had Me At Hello!

Started sampling the rest of the Richard Bartle interviews and am amazed that my enthusiasm for Matt Chat has been ‘regrooved’.

Matt allows Bartle to run free and this is an excellent exchange of personalities.

If you will allow me the indulgence in an absolute, as a must experience: I’m brigading these RB episodes with the Tim Cain and MCA lectures on the history of the FO’s. :salute:

We all subscribe to a broad spectrum of cults of personality, can’t judge the prevailing consensus, but the chemistry of this WWW interchange, (+5 on Charisma roll?)

Matt seems to shine, as simply being Matt,

and Richard Bartle becomes a man I would regret not traveling to witness, at a hypothetical convention where he was speaking.

Pardon my born again giddiness. Delighted to catch these Matt Chatts.

4too

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Richard Bartle is a really cool guy. Has a very accurate understanding of MMOs which is rare nowadays.

Darkzone

Arcane
Avellone doesnt know the term hard sci fi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXeUkrlxQ98
Which is the best sci fi, fuck Mass Effect space opera bullshit.

While i agree that Mass Effect is stupid shit, i have to point out that project Orion was also nonsense, even on paper. In space the atom bombs will not generate much kinetic energy, but electro magnetic pulse. Plasma drives / thrusters are the way to go, like ion thrusters that are very efficient and their exhaust velocity is around 20 -50 km/s. The Dawn spacecraft with an ion drive holds the record with over 10km/s. Perhaps if they increase the mass of the exhaust particles they can generate more force for the acceleration. A mass drive/ thruster with iron particles would perhaps be the clue.

Amasius

Augur
!Had Me At Hello!

Started sampling the rest of the Richard Bartle interviews and am amazed that my enthusiasm for Matt Chat has been ‘regrooved’.

Matt allows Bartle to run free and this is an excellent exchange of personalities.

If you will allow me the indulgence in an absolute, as a must experience: I’m brigading these RB episodes with the Tim Cain and MCA lectures on the history of the FO’s. :salute:

We all subscribe to a broad spectrum of cults of personality, can’t judge the prevailing consensus, but the chemistry of this WWW interchange, (+5 on Charisma roll?)

Matt seems to shine, as simply being Matt,

and Richard Bartle becomes a man I would regret not traveling to witness, at a hypothetical convention where he was speaking.

Pardon my born again giddiness. Delighted to catch these Matt Chatts.
4too
Yeah, the Bartle interviews were great, interesting guy with a lot of insight and not shy to show some of his bitterness and desillusions. Matt got a lot better at doing interviews, though the rest of his show besides the interviews is still pretty much unwachable boring.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Caconym

Savant
Matt Barton said:
I do apologize to everyone for the mishap, but, really, the overreactions on my YouTube page were not at all called for.
It's MCfuckinA, barátom. Called for or not, the overreactions were absolutely predictable and inevitable.

Very good news btw!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He may have agreed as in "yeah sure, we should do it some day". Don't get your hopes up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom