Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 259: David Shelley and Laura Bowen on Seven Dragon Saga

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Shelley; Laura Bowen; Matt Barton; Seven Dragon Saga; Strategic Simulations, Inc.; Tactical Simulations Interactive

The latest guests to be interviewed on Matt Barton's show are none other than SSI veteran designer David Shelley and veteran artist Laura Bowen, who have come to talk about the upcoming Seven Dragon Saga. It's a nice little interview, that goes over stuff that we more-or-less already know, with an emphasis on the game's character creation (which is not as simple as might be assumed from looking at the images on the game's website), combat (random encounters will definitely be a thing) and faction-based choice & consequence. Throughout the interview, David and Laura also share various little anecdotes about their SSI days.

At one point, Matt asks a question submitted by some dude named Gabor Domjan about Seven Dragon Saga's supposed martial arts/anime influence, which caused a bit of stir on the Codex when it was first announced. David clarifies that while the game will have a bit of an "international flair" and also some wuxia-esque fantastic abilities, the setting is still essentially standard Western fantasy, and nothing like, say, Jade Empire. Matt also asks whether SSI CEO Joel Billings is involved with the TSI enterprise. David replies that Joel, being a wargaming guy at heart, is not interested, but that he wishes them well.

However, the big news of this interview is that Seven Dragon Saga actually will have a Kickstarter campaign, and early next month at that. So what the heck was that Kotaku UK thing? Make up your minds, guys.

On a related note - you might be aware that Matt Barton is first and foremost a Gold Box guy. He clearly had a blast doing this interview, and now he's decided to he wants to put together a full-blown short film about the Gold Box games. But, as he explains on his blog, he'll only begin the project if he gets 25,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel. So you'd better subscribe now! Between this, and allowing Patreon backers to vote on his next interview, it looks like Matt is finally starting to get serious about promoting himself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, I wanted to add that it's kind of gratifying to see that Shelley actually knows what Jade Empire is. And Fallout and Baldur's Gate. That's not something you can take for granted with a lot of these veteran types. And he was three hours into Wasteland 2 when he did the interview (which was a day after WL2's release). So, he's not out of touch with the genre.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I am going to keep my hopes low as I did for D:OS. Hopefully I will be surprised and get another good contender. I like what they are saying, the devil will be in the details.

Next year looks very promising as well: Torment, PoE, D:OS expansion, Runemaster, SDS..... The incline is now, the incline is here. Bow before your master....

OK so her/his/its hair is blocking the view but it looks like a Manowar T-Shirt so that's a plus (could be...maybe) but I'm way to lazy to make a a YouTube account or resurrect an ancient one, so yeah..no.

13 hits on Vimeo and I'll join :smug:

I'm a huge Goldbox fan. I really hope this Kickstarter (assuming they don't change their minds yet again) succeeds, but I'm feeling pretty pessimistic. I was pleasantly surprised when the Kotaku interview made it appear as though they'd secured private funding specifically because their ability to market themselves seems to be... erm... non-existant? This compounds the problem of the Goldbox games having (in my experience) less name recognition than, say, Fallout or the IE games. Time will tell if their inability to promote themselves belies a more worrisome lack of overall vision for the project.

I hope my fears will be proven ill-founded, and I'll be pledging to their Kickstarter next month (albeit probably at the lowest physical tier), but thus far I've been extremely unimpressed with this project, and as far as I can tell I'm a prime example of their target audience.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to Matt for giving this project exposure. I wish the interview had been a little more focused on the more technical aspects of designing the GB games, but it was still a great watch.

Wizfall

Cipher
Damn, it's going to have a rotating camera.
They could have notice that lot of people dislike it in W2 (and other games) and don't want to bother with camera controls.
What a pain, i would have liked so much better a fix camera like in PE or Torment.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good interview. The game sounds promising so I'll keep my hopes up for now. BTW, is Matt anti-steam? The curator thing could help a bit with the show popularity.

Mostly western fantasy with wuxia just as a flavour? It sounded so good when the have announced it, and now they downplay the coolest aspect.

:keepmymoney::keepmyjewgold:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the big news of this interview is that Seven Dragon Saga actually will have a Kickstarter campaign, and early next month at that. So what the heck was that Kotaku UK thing? Make up your minds, guys.
It is possible that Kotaku just misreported, since their line in that article about 7DS not being crowd-funded is not a direct quote.

Dorateen

Arcane
Not that I'm rooting for a kickstarter campaign by any stretch, but it did strike me odd that the article never quoted David Klein on the subject. If this turns out to be crowdfunding, then it sounds like that was the plan from the beginning. So no changing of minds. I'm sure that TSI would be exploring other possible funding options, but it's more than likely kickstarter was always in the cards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom