Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 254: Feargus Urquhart on South Park, Pillars of Eternity, and More

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Matt Barton; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth

The latest guest on Matt Barton's show is none other than the CEO of our hearts, Feargus Urquhart. In the first episode of what will be a multi-part interview, Feargus talks a bit about working with publishers, and about the developments of South Park: The Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity. In the episode's second half, Matt tries to ask some questions about Obsidian's next Kickstarter, which Feargus deflects rather confusingly by changing the subject back to Pillars of Eternity. At the end of the interview he also talks about some RPG concepts that he'd considered in the past, including a Deadlands-inspired horror/western RPG, and a kung fu RPG he'd considered doing with BioWare back in 2000. The latter sounds a bit like what eventually became Jade Empire, although it's unclear whether Feargus realizes the connection. Whether these concepts are in any way related to Obsidian's next Kickstarter is unknown.

Notable takeaways from the interview: Feargus says that Pillars of Eternity's release date will be announced in "a few weeks", and also that artists will be moving over to work on its expansion pack "next week". Keep in mind that this interview was probably recorded a while ago, so it may be that he was actually referring to the beta's release date. Also, I guess now we know why Kaz is the only 2D artist left to work on the main game? Another takeaway from the interview is that Feargus now considers a Pillars of Eternity 2 Kickstarter to be a possibility - but only after the game is released, so it won't be their next one.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Feargus says he thinks something have "overused or abused kickstarter".

The only possible video game examples I can think for "overusing" would be Double Fine and InXile. Shots fired by Feargus?

Update 1:

Feargus wants to make a Deadlands RPG. Please yes please.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Update 1:

... in some cases it hasn't been used nearly enough. If inXile and Obsidian and some of the others continue asking for money to make great RPGs I'll keep giving it to them.

Shevek

Arcane
Deadlands rpg would be amazing using graphics like PoE. Though, I think it would work best in tb.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

The only possible video game examples I can think for "overusing" would be Double Fine and InXile. Shots fired by Feargus?
Might just be in general though. Too many people flocking to it at once, some games that are not finished, hyped games that let everyone down, scams etc.

Also, that Kung Fu thing sounds like Kung Pow: The RPG :lol:

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Update 1:

Feargus wants to make a Deadlands RPG. Please yes please.

THAT would be an incredibly tough game to sell (in general). Even here on the codex, if that was going to be a Turn-Based+Deadlands game, the codex would go HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

:takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney:

To make it more appealing to the general PC gaming public.... they are going to have to do something....

But that's OK. They can spend time thinking about that for a while, while they get ready to do a Kickstarter for the SCI-FI game. :M

imweasel

Oh boy, Infinitron, you need to get off the internet for once. Not everybody who criticizes the game on the Codex, Obs forums, Neogaf, SA or elsewhere is me. Look, that Crosmando guy on youtube might be me too. Better keep an eye on him. :lol: But believe what you want, knock yourself out, bro.

He is right though. Pillars is a shitty "stealth simulator" and Josh is BG hating faggot who hates fun. Pretty cool guy. I like "stealth simulator" cuz it really fits, i'll start using it too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wonder why Feagus calls Sci-Fi a overused setting in RPGs... what's Sci-FI RPG there's to play nowadays, besides Mass Effect?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Please not another zombie game. No, not even Deadlands-based. I can hardly muster any enthusiasm to play the Dead State beta, despite Trash and SuicideBunny saying it's pretty good.

Just let Josh do an Ars Magica RPG at last. It's fantasy so it's bound to sell alright, right Feargus? Or just do anything except zombies. Kthx.

I wonder why Feagus calls Sci-Fi a overused setting in RPGs... what's Sci-FI RPG there's to play nowadays, besides Mass Effect?

I'm replaying Planet's Edge to write up that article for your book atm, and I couldn't agree more. I think Feargus implies that sci-fi is overused in general (i.e. in books, movies, etc.) and (undeservedly) has that carry over onto CRPGs, where sci-fi games have actually been pretty rare.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Timothy Cain should be granted supreme powers to make Arcanum 2 together with Anderson and Boyarsky.

No faggit balancing from hipster-queen Josh, no meddling from false messiah MCA who just wants to butcher dialogue and down those poor wolves!

Only pure Arcanum goodness with much-needed combat improvements. Game of the year, game of the century, game of the fricking eschaton! Would pledge buckets of neo-shekels!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm replaying Planet's Edge to write up that article for your book atm, and I couldn't agree more. I think Feargus implies that sci-fi is overused in general (i.e. in books, movies, etc.) and (undeservedly) has that carry over onto CRPGs, where sci-fi games have actually been pretty rare.

Sci-fi games in general are pretty rare too, except for specific subgenres of it. For example, the Crysis-style gritty near future "aliens invade New York" type of sci-fi. Or Fallout-style post-apocalyptic "sci-fi". And of course the omnipresent "bald space marines" military sci-fi.

The classical "high adventure in outer space!" type of experience is pretty rare.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My dream game is "Fallout in Space". Works perfectly, just imagine exploring a galaxy map in the same way as Fallout's wasteland map... various races and planets, different environments and bonus/debuff due atmosphere, perhaps a Arcanum-like duality between magic & technology... but more extreme, like allowing you to become a cyborg or a being of light. Classless system, but with pre-made templates like Dark Souls. Then use Arcanum's amazing inventory, itemization similar to Baldur's Gate, turn-based combat with action points, up to 2 party members depending on your stats, short but built around multiple playtrhoughs, with various unbalanced and exotic builds, plus AoD-style C&C and endings... oh, the possibilities.

*sigh*

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Please not another zombie game. No, not even Deadlands-based. I can hardly muster any enthusiasm to play the Dead State beta, despite Trash and SuicideBunny saying it's pretty good.
I honestly sort of ignored the zombie part and thought about the rest of Deadlands.

Duraframe300

Arcane
My dream game is "Fallout in Space". Works perfectly, just imagine exploring a galaxy map in the same way as Fallout's wasteland map... various races and planets, different environments and bonus/debuff due atmosphere, perhaps a Arcanum-like duality between magic & technology... but more extreme, like allowing you to become a cyborg or a being of light. Classless system, but with pre-made templates like Dark Souls. Then use Arcanum's amazing inventory, itemization similar to Baldur's Gate, turn-based combat with action points, up to 2 party members depending on your stats, short but built around multiple playtrhoughs, with various unbalanced and exotic builds, plus AoD-style C&C and endings... oh, the possibilities.

*sigh*

Bro, the problems with these expectations is that is most likely never going to work out. Individual designers have individual views on what an rpg should be. They are projects with people working together and they may make one thing this way or another thing that way.

Now it's certainly possible that theres going to be an EXACT combination of a team, development structure, decision making during development, time and so on that magically produces your dream game, but you do have to realize that this only has a slim chance of happening.

Keep your excpectations in check. Will make a lot of things better.

I just worry for you, bro. Don't bring yourself down by hanging onto this stuff.

:bro:

norolim

Arcane
Hmmm... how about a hard sci-fi isometric RPG with quasi-utopian themes, about the first contact with an alien civilisation, with delightfully unbalanced TB combat, 3-4 party members and free exploration of the entire Solar System of the not so distant future?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hmmm... how about a hard sci-fi isometric RPG with quasi-utopian themes, about the first contact with an alien civilisation, with delightfully unbalanced TB combat, 3-4 party members and free exploration of the entire Solar System of the not so distant future?
Don't tease me bro.

I would use a Hyperion-like setting, but that looks cool as well. :3

Rake

Arcane

*sigh*

Bro, the problems with these expectations is that is most likely never going to work out. Individual designers have individual views on what an rpg should be. They are projects with people working together and they may make one thing this way or another thing that way.

Now it's certainly possible that theres going to be an EXACT combination of a team, development structure, decision making during development, time and so on that magically produces your dream game, but you do have to realize that this only has a slim chance of happening.

Keep your excpectations in check. Will make a lot of things better.

I just worry for you, bro. Don't bring yourself down by hanging onto this stuff.

:bro:
Or he can always give 5 millions to Obsidian, and go to California as a Project overseer, beating Sawyer to the head every time he does something felipepepe doesn't agree with. That works as well.
:cool:

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another takeaway from the interview is that Feargus now considers a Pillars of Eternity 2 Kickstarter to be a possibility - but only after the game is released, so it won't be their next one.

My impression from the vid was PoE2 could be their next one. E.g. their other ideas aren't ready to go and they're cautious about overusing kickstarter.

Doesn't excite me at all. Someone tell Ferghus the fans are frothing for a SciFi kickstarter. Would crack $5m easy.

norolim

Arcane
Don't tease me bro
:smug: Just saying...

I would use a Hyperion-like setting, but that looks cool as well. :3
You mean the Dan Simmons' novel? Could be difficult to keep it hard sci-fi with such a setting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Another takeaway from the interview is that Feargus now considers a Pillars of Eternity 2 Kickstarter to be a possibility - but only after the game is released, so it won't be their next one.

My impression from the vid was PoE2 could be their next one. E.g. their other ideas aren't ready to go and they're cautious about overusing kickstarter.

Doesn't excite me at all. Someone tell Ferghus the fans are frothing for a SciFi kickstarter. Would crack $5m easy.

And how is Kickstarting a sequel not overusing Kickstarter?

Obsidian's original plan was to use Kickstarter to literally "kickstart" new intellectual property, which is inherently riskier than doing sequels and benefits more from having a no-strings-attached cash infusion from the crowd.

The second Obsidian Kickstarter was supposed to be this fall, which means soon. I don't know if that's still on schedule, but again, keep in mind that this interview was recorded a while ago.

So it was said that in about 2 weeks time Obsidian will announce a release date. Also artist are about to start working on an expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom