Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 235: Brenda Romero after Sir-Tech

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Did she say she's working on a Trail of Tears game? Will the sequel be a Holocaust FPS?

Actually it is the sequel to her holocaust game, Train.

When truly desperate for attention, try doing a HoloCo$t™ game. It assures that no matter how mediocre you may be you will still be lauded as a politically-safe Bolshevist-sanitized certified-kosher "jeenius©" by some concernfag organisation and given some funding to continue your truly interesting investigation into the subject ...

...WHICH NEVER GETS OLD

(I predict her 10+ million dead Ukrainian-famine game based on the Holodomor in the Soviet Union may be in the planning stages for a couple of thousand years because the people genocided are not a socially sanctioned approved victim group. Follow the money.)

I love Western society where people with IQs slightly above average can earn the "genius" tag for just being conformist lickspittles but here in Australia we have a guy named Jim Penman with an IQ over 200+ who mows lawns for a living. No soup for you real genius.
You are late:
Holocaust_4fd6ce_135595.jpg

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Why did Matt say this interview was going to make shit hit the fan?

Seemed like a pretty normal interview.

Did Brenda jump on the Sarkessian bandwagon or was she like this as soon as production on the Hugh Hefner game wrapped?
She complains about booth babes but what about those women who go to shows and dress in revealing outfits because they want to?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
You can choose characters' gender in Might & Magic 1 (1986), even have it changed and be punished for being a male (Portsmith). Just sayin'

m_s0

Arcane
I didn't wanted to be that guy, but you guys gave me no other choice, no one mentioned it yet:

She's kinda hot. Like sexy witch hot or something, I can imagine her stirring a cauldron while naked. John fucked up with Daikatana but he got his shit right now.

j4Xyuxl.jpg

m_s0

Arcane
Is that photo supposed to prove Spellcaster right? I'd totally bang.
I'd say that photo is nightmare fuel. She looks fine in the video, but that photograph is as unflattering as it gets. The point was: it's a perfect illustration for that witch comment (though I disagree with the sexy part).

gaussgunner

Arcane
:necro:

hahaha, very interesting. Not sure how I stumbled across this thread but Playboy: The Mansion caught my eye. I could've gotten my foot in the industry door with that game. They were advertising for something like "entry level rpg developer". Luckily I was close enough to apply for the job in person, and as I was walking into the building I saw posters and swag about the game they were working on, through their windows or in the lobby. Stood there a minute thinking A) not an rpg!!!, B) sex in games is fucking cheesy, C) smacks of desperation. Then I got back in my car. I too would have regretted working on that game. Would've been laid off within a year, or worse, badgered into staying on to make fucking edugames.

Brenda seems pretty cool to me. I don't know much about her besides her Wizardy and JA credits, but I would be surprised if she's gone full SJW. I didn't hear any radical feminist bullshit in these interviews. She was just talking about the Playboy game, bikini armor, and booth babes... not like "it all must stop now and anyone who disagrees is an evil misogynist" at all, more like "ehh, it's kinda ridiculous". She did say that if people want to change the industry they should praise games/devs they do like, that the standard SJW tactic of stirring up waves of criticism on twitter would not be effective.

P.S. the antidote to that other pic:
Brenda_Romero_in_2014.JPG

b

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Let's not brushshame.

Brenda held a presentation at GDC Europe this year; I had to skip it because the Sawyer interview ran long, but it's available here.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Can you imagine having to wake up next to that horror every day?

*shudder*

Zep--

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
1216px-Brenda_Brathwaite_-_Game_Developers_Conference_2010_-_Day_5_(2).jpg

Everything is grand theatre, suggestion, illusion, inference with this woman. She is "sort of a game developerish" type who sort of "created Wizardry" and sort of "did other game stuff." All of it whispered, vague sort of suggestion. Her boss at Sir-Tech stopped just short of saying himself that she is defrauding the public by making all kinds of claims about the role she played in the Wizardry series. She made coffee and wrote out some game text in places.

If she were a man, she would be a non-event. SJWs love her because they can hold her up as proof that women can work in the games industry. In fact, she is strong evidence they cannot. She is interested in all sorts of society around the computer game industry but has never had much interest in making games.

She never talks about the games she has made because she herself hasn't made any. Instead she talks about a lot of other issues that ultimately have almost nothing at all to do with computer games. Her own focus betrays who she really is under that industrial flesh coloured spackling compound she trowels onto her face each morning.

This woman is a charlatan and has never done anything of note with computer games. I thought this instantly when I was introduced to her 25 years ago and my opinion of her has not changed since.

By the way, I met a female computer games programmer in the late 80's or at least I corresponded with her on Q-Link. She was nothing like this woman whatsoever. The difference was immediately obvious talking to both people - the authentic one and the poseur.

As for her appeal, I can assure you if she ever got near you with those tranny catcher mitts she calls hands which look like she has been working driving railroad spikes the past fifty years you would feel violently ill. It is a reasonable question to ask if she was born biologically male or mercifully neutered by confused hospital staff at a young age. In some photos she looks like PopEye with a blonde wig on. You may have thought John Romero had been through enough hell already but now he is married to this knotted wrinkly gender-bender and perhaps it is poetic justice for all those Ukrainian pre-teens he has exploited previously.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom