Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
One thing the 3D one has over Genesis is that apparently it's not as long. I still took about 15 hours to complete my first shard on MotBW on Hard difficulty, so if the first one was longer I can only imagine how long it must have been.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I play original. Original feels like abstracted units fighting on abstracted battlefield. 3D version pretends they are only few soldiers. Also backstabs make things too easy.

Emily

Arcane
Wait, I thought you never played the original? Or did my memory go retard again?
i played original couple days ago actually, and it is much harder.
AI is faster about 2-3 times
Also once it gets monster guard literally spams them everywhere

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
i played original couple days ago actually, and it is much harder.
AI is faster about 2-3 times
Also once it gets monster guard literally spams them everywhere

Then my guts were right about MotBW. They said they kept all the original mechanics untouched, ha! Untouched my arse. Them casuls.

Have you considered doing a LP or AAR?
:M

Emily

Arcane
Then my guts were right about MotBW. They said they kept all the original mechanics untouched, ha! Untouched my arse. Them casuls.

:M
original campaign is about 100-200 hours long at least :lol:
Even if you go for the quickest ending (keys of truth in my opinion) it cannot be done in under 100 hours.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

They left them mostly untouched. They only added backstabs and goblins with spell Acid.

However the original difficulty is bit silly because the composition and number of enemies in provinces should change, not theirs hitpoints and bonuses AI receives.
As a result original difficulty is insanely hard before you learn stuff, then trivial after you learn stuff.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
then trivial after you learn stuff.

Hahaha_No_Owl.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Go few swordsmen + healer. GG.

Trivial. (Especially when you are pure which would boost swordsmen morale.)

If you want to have an artificial difficulty, don't build school of sorcery in your capital, or go wizard first.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

If you want to have an artificial difficulty, don't build school of sorcery in your capital, or go wizard first.

You never played it on anything past "Expert", did you? And I reckon you didn't finish the campaing either.

Wanted to describe just how wrong you are, but screw it. I'm to lazy.

Besides, don't wanna to spoil some campaing difficulty daggers that are waiting for Bratislav :lol:

Emily

Arcane

:lol:
Confirmed for expert player at most.
The no brainier approach is actually barbarians + healer with a commander, Since you cannot sustain economy with sword+healer unless you get a very specific start.
but at least you tried.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So where are you in the campaign currently?

Also who would want front line solely from large number of swordsmen when they are not planning Macros missile massacre? 5 catapults, balistas, and few troops that prevent fast units to get at them until they would be penetrated by multiple bolts. Of course when you have money for that army, cost of few swordsmen (when you have source of iron) is negligible.

Barbs are paper. (Actually I have currently astral alignment dark, thus I can't do swordsmen start, they would have nearly no morale. On the other hand thieves are suspiciously courageous.) I did from ruthless to merciful and used paladins on one shard just for fun. (But of course that requires non aggressive AIs who are fighting with each other, or can't go from ring 1.)

I also do when you hire hero, think about what he would most likely become, and then use his starting ability and first third level as a guidance to what class he would become at 10. Concentration - highly likely enchanter. Spellpower archmage or necro. A lot of health promo in first few levels - obvious battlemage.

I must admit that fighting enemy armies with a Ranger is probably unwinable, thus if first hero becomes Ranger, I must choose second hero to level to have decent chance to smash AI.

Kayerts

Arcane
:lol:
Confirmed for expert player at most.
The no brainier approach is actually barbarians + healer with a commander, Since you cannot sustain economy with sword+healer unless you get a very specific start.
but at least you tried.

I think solo warrior with early trash barbarian support is still the maximally no-brainer approach to winning on overlord, but executing it no-brainedly requires a fair amount of frontloaded brainpower in learning how and when you can beat which configurations of t1 and t2 province guards.

Duram

Literate
Finished the campaign doing the keys of truth ending on overlord a couple of weeks ago. Still thinking about the game a bit since it was/is still very notable.
I save scummed quite a bit and didn't loose a shard nor hero. Gotta use your characters powahs to the max ;)

Almost always went commander first -> barbs -> healing or web -> shamans -> definitely web (or healing) -> if small map kill the enemies fortress(doable on small/smallish mediums) -> if elves found, get alliance asap and trade barbs+shamans for elves(except one shaman which is useful) otherwise probably save gold for sorcerers otherwise or buy a scout(also scum up some unicorns if ancient forest is around since they supa cheap) -> kill enemy on medium/any map if got elves since you are god then otherwise still maybe doable depending on map, elves melt almost everything with a bit of help and enough medals. probably get ballistas too if you got elves if you need to take down a dragon if you need it like in the keys quest.

Always upgraded commander to general, warrior to warrior(went with warrior first only one time...) and got the first ring within ~5-10 turns depending on map and where I was in the campaign.

Barbs own all other early units as your bread and butter, cost-wise, combat-wise and otherwise even if you are pure good(moral is a non-issue with them) and especially on overlord where the neutral units have almost double hp.
Berserk, 20 HP and 2 movement and high attack which totally trumps all other units when flanking and using terrain to the limit.

The bugged "wind movement"-ritual annoyed the crap out of me. In a long game on a medium/big/(heck even sometimes a small map) its a sure-fire way to crash the game so i very rarely used it.
Oh and some spells are op on some maps like fear and the exhaust spell in the beginning.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
About the original game:

How do you handle provinces that need to be explored in order to grow more?

Do you have a secondary hero running around exploring them? It seems to slow down his growth.

Do you try to preemptively explore potentially high income provinces ?

Or do you just let unexplored provinces build up and maybe explore with a third hero or maybe never?

Emily

Arcane
About the original game:

How do you handle provinces that need to be explored in order to grow more?

Do you have a secondary hero running around exploring them? It seems to slow down his growth.

Do you try to preemptively explore potentially high income provinces ?

Or do you just let unexplored provinces build up and maybe explore with a third hero or maybe never?
depends on map (how big it is, what is your status, are you behind etc)
But mostly 2nd hero should be a scout that explores provinces and makes locations for primary hero.

Duram

Literate
If you have 2nd hero(scout, should always be the scout) and have nothing more important on the todo-list like say unicorn,bandit attack event scouting.

Dont scout provinces that are swamp or orc/goblin for growth ever unless your out of other options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom