Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

Misconnected

Savant
MOTBW for €10 on Steam. I already own Genesis, but haven't played past the tutorial yet. Should I buy it?

It's €10 for 23 years worth of graphical improvements, a few bug fixed, and a few brand new bugs ... And a tiny bit of additional content, slightly less grind, and a slightly degraded GUI.

IMO it's worth it. But it really comes down to how much of a gfx whore you are.

EDIT: Vaguely apropos if you're a GOG customer, be sure to set your nationality to American for better prices. Don't worry, GOG themselves recommend you do this.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
MOTBW for €10 on Steam. I already own Genesis, but haven't played past the tutorial yet. Should I buy it?

It's €10 for 23 years worth of graphical improvements, a few bug fixed, and a few brand new bugs ... And a tiny bit of additional content, slightly less grind, and a slightly degraded GUI.

IMO it's worth it. But it really comes down to how much of a gfx whore you are.

I used to play Dominions 3, graphics are not a problem, interfaces and grind are. If that's fixed I'll think about it... The thing is the new bugs and pace were worse than in the original and that's what was holding me back.

Misconnected

Savant
You misunderstood me somewhat.

MoTBW has different bugs, and I think less severe ones at this point. It has a less intuitive GUI, but not an outright problematic one. It has slightly more variation, but we're talking $2.50 DLC stuff. And it has slightly less campaign grind.
Genesis looks 23 years older than MoTBW, and has a few severe bugs you won't find in MoTBW. It has a fantastic GUI. And it has an excessively grindy campaign.

As for graphics, MoTBW is a very pretty game. Genesis looks like shit. This is by far the greatest difference between the two, so this is what your decision should be based on. If you appreciate (and can run) nice graphics and €10 isn't significant monies to you, you should probably buy MoTBW. If not, stick with Genesis. I realise I'm repeating myself here, but it's just about as exact a remake as you'll ever see.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
How can they make a *worse* UI? It goes beyond me. I'll stick to Genesis apparently.

Misconnected

Savant
How can they make a *worse* UI? It goes beyond me. I'll stick to Genesis apparently.

Remember how from the late '90s to the late '00s real time 3D graphics looked like complete and utter shit compared to even much older 2D, but despite that every single damn developer had to make every single damn game in 3D - up to an including completely silly shit like top-down RPGs where not a single game mechanic even acknowledged the existence of a Z axis?

GUIs have been suffering a similar sucky fate for a great many years now. Every dev wants every GUI for every game to be as close to non-existent as possible, take up as little screen space as they can manage, present itself in scattered little colourful contextual pieces, be gimmicky to actually interface with, and... A page long list of other things, all of which have just two things in common: they're most definitely not good design principles in general terms, yet every last one is used as if they were.

In comparison to the last 5 years worth of games, MoTBW has a very good GUI. But one very clearly informed by the last 5 years worth of games. Compared to Genesis, MoTBW's GUI sacrifices intuitiveness, speed and precision. But not greatly. A few things require a few more clicks. More than a few things are not entirely obvious. And almost everything is smaller and easier to mis-click.

Please, though, do understand that the New & Degraded GUI is nowhere near as worthless a pile of shit as, for example, going from GalCiv to Fallen Enchantress, or from Windows Not 8 to Windows 8.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My usual question remains: did they fixed the music bug, which mixed up the battle music and the overland music?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's been playable(ish) for a while now, hasn't it? They have fixed diplomacy though.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It seems really playable. I haven't noticed any bugs in quite a while of playing now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Not noticing any long AI turns. I can't tell for sure because I wasn't really paying attention, but I don't think it's longer than 15 seconds, at most. And that's with two AI opponents on a shard.

Multi-headed Cow

New update 1.1.3 is now available for download. Here's what's new:

Improvements:

- New interface element: if during the current turn player constructs a building, hires a guard or performs a ritual, an additional icon for his action will be displayed on respective interface buttons.

- Added new skills:
1. Petrification Immunity — available for Gargoyle, Ghost and Golem from the start; can be acquired by Gnome.
2. Entanglement Immunity — available for Ghost, Dragon and Phoenix from the start; can be acquired by Halfling.
3. Aura of Healing — used to replenish a few HP for friendly units in nearby hexes. Available for Paladin from the start. Can be acquired by Unicorn, Dryad and Treant.

- Improved process of receiving quests from Crystals, they are more randomized now.
- Improved process of hiring guards to enemy’s base province in the campaign. Their power is now scaled to your progress.
- Almost all ‘Close’ buttons now have the same look.
- Added tooltip for ‘Close’ button in all windows that can be opened on the strategic map through hero's circular menu.
- Unit information’s window has been reworked.
- Added option to create private games and choose which player to fight with in multiplayer.
- Reduced game difficulty for the first three difficulty levels.
- Increased initial income for the first three difficulty levels.
- During a siege of an outpost or a fort there is now a wooden wall and palisade on the tactical map.

Fixed:

- Province information in dead and desert lands now doesn’t show an icon of a race that possesses the province.
- A bug that caused hero’s army to lose a unit without reason after the death of an enemy unit under effect of ‘Enslaved’ spell.
- A bug that caused hero to become a Slug, Ogre or any other unit after using ‘Enslaved’ spell.
- AI’s ability to hire guards in a besieged province.
- Missing tooltip for the first building in a queue in the planned constructions’ window.
- Buildings tooltip’s displaying already constructed buildings on the astral map.
- ‘Resurrection’ spell not working if a unit that can use it is killed last in a battle.
- A bug that caused the fight to end with a draw if a hero died last and in the Dragon Form, leaving the hero itself alive.
- A bug that let a hero use the ‘Double Shot’ skill, come close to enemy and shoot dealing double damage. Now heroes can shoot only if they didn’t make a move during their turn. If a move is made the skill is deactivated.
- A bug that caused the game to start a tactical battle with ‘auto-battle - always’ setting turned on.
- Incorrect priorities for Healer AI’s behavior.
- Buildings that give access to pact with guard could show incorrect number of the pacts.
- Units with an all-round attack could counter-attack using this ability. Now all activated unit abilities will be nullified when a turn ends.
- AI getting fewer buildings in the Astral thus falling behind in development on the later stages of the campaign.
- Heroes could get an increase in two basic characteristics instead of one during province exploration.
- A hero under effect of 'Dragon Form' and 'Polymorph' spells didn’t have access to his spellbook.
- Players could make a bet on the arena even with no gold left.
- Game freeze caused by an enemy attacking player’s hero that’s besieging a province.
- A bug that caused inability to refuse from a quest given to a hero.
- A bug that caused allied Masters to send peace offers after every turn.
- A bug that let player end diplomatic relations and then send diplomatic offer to Masters in the same turn.
- AI sometimes missing units taken to the army from the garrison.
- Unavailable ‘Library’ button in a situation when two heroes are exchanging items in a province with Library.
- Inability to look at the detailed item’s information in a neutral shop and its incorrect price in the tooltip.
- Bugs that caused generation of ‘square’ lakes on the tactical map.
- Incorrect display of income change in the dialog window for ‘Dionium burning’ event.
- A bug that caused the army to consist of trolls instead of skeletons in the event ‘The dead have risen from their graves…’
- A bug that let player equip Healer’s Staff together with normal ranged weapon thus increasing all weapon’s characteristics.
- A bug that caused generation of multiple resources in some provinces.
- A bug that let player equip a two-handled weapon and a shield during a fight.
- Icon for the merchant district’s building in the city screen.
- AI attacking player’s capital without siege.
- Incorrect difficulty modifier’s calculation for gold and gems received after a fight.
- A bug that let AI summon skeletons and zombies in dead land provinces during auto-battle.
- Color palette for resources area on the bottom panel of the strategic map.
- Visual errors of the standard tooltip’s display.
- AI sometimes buying the same primitive items.
- AI constructing buildings in a province that improve the ones it already has.
- Bonuses for mixed skill sets of Commander not working properly (fixed once and for all).
- Tooltip for the building queue in the tutorial.
- AI’s ability so send a player a message when it had already received one from him (exception for war declarations).
- ‘Rain of Brimstone’ ritual not being effective against garrisons.
- ‘Deadly Terror’ ritual not working properly.
- ‘Polymorph’ spell bug that happened when the spell was used on the last enemy unit. The unit didn’t die in the end and his army remained on the strategic map.
- Display of buildings received upon victory on your own shard after other Master’s attack.
- Damage amount dealt by ‘Mass Suicide’ spell.
- Finding empty caches.
- A few bugs with medals received by units in battles.
- Display bug of ‘You have no access to this resource’ tooltip.
- Sometimes missing dialog for attack on a neutral province.
- Hills sometimes looking like plain terrain on the tactical map.
- ‘Start battle’ button not working during troop deployment on the arena.
- A bug in the tooltip for a unit’s medal on the tactical map.
- Game freeze caused by attack on the brigands’ province.
- Inability to siege an enemy capital if it's under effect of ‘Deadly Terror’ ritual.
- A few animation bugs of damage numbers on the tactical map.
- Text scaling in the item information’s window.
- Ability to buy the same item multiple times having only enough gold for one such item.
- Mouse scroll for chat and player list in multiplayer.
- Incorrect processing of Escape button when closing a confirmation window.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
While the launch was shit, I'm happy they at least kept updating the game. Is the question remaining if it's now finally worth playing?

- During a siege of an outpost or a fort there is now a wooden wall and palisade on the tactical map.

Hohoho. Not as fun as 'adding diplomacy' but still a goody.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
New update 1.1.3 is now available for download. Here's what's new:

Improvements:

- New interface element: if during the current turn player constructs a building, hires a guard or performs a ritual, an additional icon for his action will be displayed on respective interface buttons.

- Added new skills:
1. Petrification Immunity — available for Gargoyle, Ghost and Golem from the start; can be acquired by Gnome.
2. Entanglement Immunity — available for Ghost, Dragon and Phoenix from the start; can be acquired by Halfling.
3. Aura of Healing — used to replenish a few HP for friendly units in nearby hexes. Available for Paladin from the start. Can be acquired by Unicorn, Dryad and Treant.

- Improved process of receiving quests from Crystals, they are more randomized now.
- Improved process of hiring guards to enemy’s base province in the campaign. Their power is now scaled to your progress.
- Almost all ‘Close’ buttons now have the same look.
- Added tooltip for ‘Close’ button in all windows that can be opened on the strategic map through hero's circular menu.
- Unit information’s window has been reworked.
- Added option to create private games and choose which player to fight with in multiplayer.
- Reduced game difficulty for the first three difficulty levels.
- Increased initial income for the first three difficulty levels.

Fixed:

- Province information in dead and desert lands now doesn’t show an icon of a race that possesses the province.
- A bug that caused hero’s army to lose a unit without reason after the death of an enemy unit under effect of ‘Enslaved’ spell.
- A bug that caused hero to become a Slug, Ogre or any other unit after using ‘Enslaved’ spell.
- AI’s ability to hire guards in a besieged province.
- Missing tooltip for the first building in a queue in the planned constructions’ window.
- Buildings tooltip’s displaying already constructed buildings on the astral map.
- ‘Resurrection’ spell not working if a unit that can use it is killed last in a battle.
- A bug that caused the fight to end with a draw if a hero died last and in the Dragon Form, leaving the hero itself alive.
- A bug that let a hero use the ‘Double Shot’ skill, come close to enemy and shoot dealing double damage. Now heroes can shoot only if they didn’t make a move during their turn. If a move is made the skill is deactivated.
- A bug that caused the game to start a tactical battle with ‘auto-battle - always’ setting turned on.
- Incorrect priorities for Healer AI’s behavior.
- Buildings that give access to pact with guard could show incorrect number of the pacts.
- Units with an all-round attack could counter-attack using this ability. Now all activated unit abilities will be nullified when a turn ends.
- AI getting fewer buildings in the Astral thus falling behind in development on the later stages of the campaign.
- Heroes could get an increase in two basic characteristics instead of one during province exploration.
- A hero under effect of 'Dragon Form' and 'Polymorph' spells didn’t have access to his spellbook.
- Players could make a bet on the arena even with no gold left.
- Game freeze caused by an enemy attacking player’s hero that’s besieging a province.
- A bug that caused inability to refuse from a quest given to a hero.
- A bug that caused allied Masters to send peace offers after every turn.
- A bug that let player end diplomatic relations and then send diplomatic offer to Masters in the same turn.
- AI sometimes missing units taken to the army from the garrison.
- Unavailable ‘Library’ button in a situation when two heroes are exchanging items in a province with Library.
- Inability to look at the detailed item’s information in a neutral shop and its incorrect price in the tooltip.
- Bugs that caused generation of ‘square’ lakes on the tactical map.
- Incorrect display of income change in the dialog window for ‘Dionium burning’ event.
- A bug that caused the army to consist of trolls instead of skeletons in the event ‘The dead have risen from their graves…’
- A bug that let player equip Healer’s Staff together with normal ranged weapon thus increasing all weapon’s characteristics.
- A bug that caused generation of multiple resources in some provinces.
- A bug that let player equip a two-handled weapon and a shield during a fight.
- Icon for the merchant district’s building in the city screen.
- AI attacking player’s capital without siege.
- Incorrect difficulty modifier’s calculation for gold and gems received after a fight.
- A bug that let AI summon skeletons and zombies in dead land provinces during auto-battle.
- Color palette for resources area on the bottom panel of the strategic map.
- Visual errors of the standard tooltip’s display.
- AI sometimes buying the same primitive items.
- AI constructing buildings in a province that improve the ones it already has.
- Bonuses for mixed skill sets of Commander not working properly (fixed once and for all).
- Tooltip for the building queue in the tutorial.
- AI’s ability so send a player a message when it had already received one from him (exception for war declarations).
- ‘Rain of Brimstone’ ritual not being effective against garrisons.
- ‘Deadly Terror’ ritual not working properly.
- ‘Polymorph’ spell bug that happened when the spell was used on the last enemy unit. The unit didn’t die in the end and his army remained on the strategic map.
- Display of buildings received upon victory on your own shard after other Master’s attack.
- Damage amount dealt by ‘Mass Suicide’ spell.
- Finding empty caches.
- A few bugs with medals received by units in battles.
- Display bug of ‘You have no access to this resource’ tooltip.
- Sometimes missing dialog for attack on a neutral province.
- Hills sometimes looking like plain terrain on the tactical map.
- ‘Start battle’ button not working during troop deployment on the arena.
- A bug in the tooltip for a unit’s medal on the tactical map.
- Game freeze caused by attack on the brigands’ province.
- Inability to siege an enemy capital if it's under effect of ‘Deadly Terror’ ritual.
- A few animation bugs of damage numbers on the tactical map.
- Text scaling in the item information’s window.
- Ability to buy the same item multiple times having only enough gold for one such item.
- Mouse scroll for chat and player list in multiplayer.
- Incorrect processing of Escape button when closing a confirmation window.

Is it playable?

Steelworker

Literate
Apparently it's still 'unplayable'. Can't attack other masters as it will switch to a 'local lord' once you try to go to battle with them. So it's impossible to actually defeat masters.

Learnt that from going through the support forum for it for my own problem: can't change the screen resolution to anything other than what your monitor's screen resolution is set to. Even if you change your mintor resolution to X and enter the game to have it's resolution set at X, if you change your monitor resolution to your normal setting, say Y, the game's resolution will change to Y. Once you change the settings to what you want it set as it will show up in your config as that but once you enter the game.. So, I can't really enjoy it as I never play games fullscreen, need to be able to watch some shows in another window.

mondblut

Arcane
Apparently it's still 'unplayable'. Can't attack other masters as it will switch to a 'local lord' once you try to go to battle with them. So it's impossible to actually defeat masters.

Ouch. That's something new.

Learnt that from going through the support forum for it for my own problem: can't change the screen resolution to anything other than what your monitor's screen resolution is set to. Even if you change your mintor resolution to X and enter the game to have it's resolution set at X, if you change your monitor resolution to your normal setting, say Y, the game's resolution will change to Y. Once you change the settings to what you want it set as it will show up in your config as that but once you enter the game.. So, I can't really enjoy it as I never play games fullscreen, need to be able to watch some shows in another window.

If you play windowed, you still can resize the window manually to whatever suits you. It begins in maximized window, use the icon on windows bar to switch to normal window, and drag its borders as you see fit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It is.

Also love how they nerfed enemy guards. Remember not so fondly having to battle full demon army guard with my max level 2 troops. Now it seems like this wont happen until later in the campaign.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eador will be in the $5 tier for the Groupees bundle launching tomorrow: http://groupees.com/BM9 That and some other crappy games for $5 is hard to beat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom