Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

damicore

Augur
Is this the HoMM-like game with most unit variety there is? It is quite catchy indeed.

Heh. I have great/bad news.

Great news first. There is very good mod for original Eador called New Horizons. It's balanced, has decent graphics that blends with original game very well (I was very surprised actually), has tons of new content of great quality: units, items, abilities, spells, events, races, pictures, tweaks etc. It's like massive content expander for the original game without loss of quality. "Must have" thing for anyone who likes original game, total conversion actually. And it has some patch to alter campaign but I didn't try this patch yet, or campaign.

Bad news. I don't know if there is an English version or plan of translation - I'm playing like there's no tomorrow right now. Again :)

This sounds like something that would make me consider getting MoTBW (i've been sticking to Genesis so far).
I just wish they would make some kind of tiered system for the random events.
Having a province attacked by a Troll, a bunch of Harpies, or finding an epic item very early, impact your game too much and promotes savescumming.
We've all done it, don't lie!

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I kind of like that things can happen early in the game that fucks you up for the rest of the game. It makes things a bit more interesting. It's not like losing a world is the end of the game either, so I usually just go with the flow.

I don't know exactly how the campaign works, so maybe it's not that big a deal. But i'm playing single maps only, and there it matters quite a bit.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ah, yes, then it can probably mess up your enjoyment of the game. The campaign gives you a set of worlds you need to conquer, and you need to conquer a certain amount of them before it sends you off to conquer the next set of worlds.

DakaSha

Arcane

Great news first. There is very good mod for original Eador called New Horizons. It's balanced, has decent graphics that blends with original game very well (I was very surprised actually), has tons of new content of great quality: units, items, abilities, spells, events, races, pictures, tweaks etc. It's like massive content expander for the original game without loss of quality. "Must have" thing for anyone who likes original game, total conversion actually. And it has some patch to alter campaign but I didn't try this patch yet, or campaign.

Bad news. I don't know if there is an English version or plan of translation - I'm playing like there's no tomorrow right now. Again :)

This sounds like something that would make me consider getting MoTBW (i've been sticking to Genesis so far).
Having a province attacked by a Troll, a bunch of Harpies, or finding an epic item very early, impact your game too much and promotes savescumming.

I actually havent done it

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I had no clue it could even BE done.

Ermm, it seems i thought i knew what save scumming is, but didn't. :oops:
What i meant is loading your last turn save to get a different event.

Coriolanus

Learned
Is this the HoMM-like game with most unit variety there is? It is quite catchy indeed.

Well, it's two games, depending on the difficulty.

On lower difficulties, it's a poor man's HoMM/AoW/etc. - you'll get bored of it very quickly. Not much variety to look forward to once you've completed your first big map.

On higher difficulties (expert and above), it's ... very hard for a newcomer, in a good way - not really "breaking" AI or anything - just fair tactical play. You'll learn how to win vs. overwhelming odds by exploiting every little spell, every little advantage possible - very satisfying feeling. Sort of a "cult status" game for a small Russian-speaking community... well, it'll grow, hopefully, as more fans of the turn-based genre discover its potential.

Too bad that the failure of Eador 2 may have ruined its reputation for years to come.

Karmapowered

Augur
Would love to support good games like this one seems to be with some of my :takemyjewgold:, but not going to happen without translation (official or fan-made) unfortunately.

Adding it to my watchlist however.

damicore

Augur

Well, it's two games, depending on the difficulty.

On lower difficulties, it's a poor man's HoMM/AoW/etc. - you'll get bored of it very quickly. Not much variety to look forward to once you've completed your first big map.

On higher difficulties (expert and above), it's ... very hard for a newcomer, in a good way - not really "breaking" AI or anything - just fair tactical play. You'll learn how to win vs. overwhelming odds by exploiting every little spell, every little advantage possible - very satisfying feeling. Sort of a "cult status" game for a small Russian-speaking community... well, it'll grow, hopefully, as more fans of the turn-based genre discover its potential.

Too bad that the failure of Eador 2 may have ruined its reputation for years to come.

What difficulty would be the codex certified difficulty? A.K.A. Nobody's cheating difficulty.

I was talking about the variety of the units by the way, there are quite a lot of units for a HoMM clone. HOMM VI has like 30 creatures and they're all the same and while HoMM III has more units they're less varied or that's the impression this game gave me. I might be wrong though.

sher

Educated
Normal difficulty is Expert. Eador has almost nothing in common with HoMM. I can think only of heroes since there are heroes too. You know, every game with heroes is HoMM clone it seems.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I play at expert exactly because I like "nobody's cheating." I suck though, so I get my ass kicked.

Also, I'm pretty sure you just insulted both MotBW fans and HoMM fans by calling it a HoMM clone. Except for a few very small similarities they play very differently.

damicore

Augur
Well yeah, of course they do play differently but it wouldn't be unfair to classify them under the same genre. It's but a mere simplification.

Then I will start playing my first non tutorial shard as expert it seems. The tutorial boss was hard as balls on one of the easiest difficulties though, that kind of makes me worried.

DakaSha

Arcane
Stop playing it like homm just because it has a hex battlefield and it wont be hard anymore

sher

Educated
Then I will start playing my first non tutorial shard as expert it seems. The tutorial boss was hard as balls on one of the easiest difficulties though, that kind of makes me worried.

Well, you should be worried then. But "No pain no gain" :D

Stop playing it like homm just because it has a hex battlefield and it wont be hard anymore

Yep.

Coriolanus

Learned
Well yeah, of course they do play differently but it wouldn't be unfair to classify them under the same genre. It's but a mere simplification.

A few tips for transitioning to to Expert and above:

1) Don't let your units die. Unless you WANT them to die (e.g. leveling a warrior, you might use bandits to soak damage then let them die to let warrior take solo XP), or to work specifically as cannon fodder (e.g. peasants v. Dragons). Moreover, try your best to not let your units take more damage that can fully heal in 1-2 turns - don't waste turns resting.

2) Abuse your early spellbook, change it to fit the enemies you face. Fatigue v. living, spark v. undead. E.g. fatigue can help you beat those solo T3 guardians (executioner, cavalier) when you only have T1.

3) Aim for lvl10 on your primary hero by turn 30 - it's a good benchmark. If you can't make it, try to rework your early game strategy.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
The original is so great. Only thing I have been playing. Just makes hours disappear. On Expert it is really hard. Shit goes wrong so easily. Just great.

I can manage expert level fine as long as I always start with Scout and barbarians. But if I start with Commander and don't get barbarians from get go it can get super hard super fast.

On expert and above everything is about speed. How quickly you advance before you encounter the enemy units determines the outcome. Sometimes I fail utterly, and just have to start over from turn 1.

Great game. Too bad the graphics version sucks. I would gladly buy it if it worked, but it sounds stupid as hell currently.

sher

Educated
Just makes hours disappear.

To save some time tweak settings in Eador.cfg in main game folder:
Refresh delay (default 40): 25
Poll mouse delay (default 25): 20
for example.

When I installed the mod it restored default settings and it was painfully SLOW.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
MOTBW for €10 on Steam. I already own Genesis, but haven't played past the tutorial yet. Should I buy it?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Have they made the game easier? I haven't played since April and I definitely have a much easier time of it than I did back then. I'm not sure what difficulty I'm playing on, but I basically steamrolled an entire shard, which definitely wasn't possible on the same difficulty back in April. Not possible for me, anyway.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, fuck. It's definitely easier. There's no challenge at all now. I'm going to have to restart on a higher difficulty. I miss having my ass kicked too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom