Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

mondblut

Arcane
(after six years, I think I earned the right for a little spambottery)

There seems to be zero interest in the prestigious magazine for this 3d remake of the mighty potatolander Eador. While I am waiting for TC to reopen and then to hopefully hook up Jason for an intie, how about we discuss!! it?

http://www.facebook.com/MastersOfTheBrokenWorld - screenshots, dev diaries, links to interviews

Internet

Scholar
I'm not familiar with the original. Looks like it could be similar to Fantasy Wars?
The screenshot with irregular hexagons on the strategic map looks good.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Never heard of the original game, care to shed some light on it?

also, the new facebook wall is fucking inoperable, do they have a normal website or something?

mondblut

Arcane
There is a russian site for the first game on www.eador.com, with a laconic section about the new installment, but on russian only. A new proper site is in the works.

The original game was sort of a mixture between HoMM (combat, except with one unit per hex rather than 9000; and castle development, except with over 200 buildings; also armies have to be led by heroes; also magic I guess) and Dominions (WEGO turn resolution, searching provinces for fun stuff, the overall theme). And a sprinkle of CYOA a KoDP(lite) or GalCiv way, in form of random events popping up nearly every turn, like "the peasants of province X are hungry and come in demanding food, do you 1) give them all your potato, 2) hang them from the wall, 3) not care". It never made it out from the rottenpotatoland, until this remake.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
since when is russia potatoland :rage:

the game itself though looks promising, though i'm not a fan of wego

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I think I've heard about this game before, maybe in RPS? I certainly remind something about the floating worlds/islands in space. Are you working on it mondblut? (I'm clueless about where are you working at)

Anyway, looks nice, will keep an eye on it.

mondblut

Arcane
since when is russia potatoland :rage:

Technically, it's Ukrainian, and Ukraine is naturally a legitimate part of the glorious Potatoland.

Also, russia is a land of rotten potato, which still qualifies, too :smug:

the game itself though looks promising, though i'm not a fan of wego

The new installment might still ditch wego for pure consequential turns, actually.

Are you working on it mondblut? (I'm clueless about where are you working at)

Only marginally involved. I am the citizen of the Fair Kkkodexia in my spare time, remember ;)

visions

Arcane
s1.jpg

418389_339436896098891_229556913753557_971603_2088734779_n.jpg

My inner graphicwhore can't help but prefer the look of the first game.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Why have i never heard of these games before?????
It's beets land btw. Where do you think the purple color comes from? Potatoes can only have shades of brown.

Strategy informer have been having some articles about this. Looks pretty sweet, with this, Fallen Enchantress, and Warlock:Master of the arcance, something gotta be fun to play right?

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
What visions said. The fog and effects just make things harder to see. Y no MoM and Dom3 screenshots or of actual interface rather than the eye candy screen?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Meh, it doesnt look bad, but some actual interface would be better. Dont think anyone really plays those types of games for pretty sights. Well, not me anyway.

zeitgeist

Magister
Could you (mondblut and Imperium) please elaborate a bit on the reasons why stuff like the original game so rarely sees English translations/international releases? Is it that the cost of translation/localization would be equal to or higher than the possible profit? Lack of relations with international distributors/publishers? Crazy rights contracts? Something else?

mondblut

Arcane
The former. A lot of text (I mean in over a megabyte range) and a niche game do not bode well together for localizations.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The former. A lot of text (I mean in over a megabyte range) and a niche game do not bode well together for localizations.

But aren't you a hardcore Soviet that worked on gaems? What's stopping you from doing a translation ala Wesp and going all crazy?

Dont think anyone really plays those types of games for pretty sights. Well, not me anyway.

Legend of Grimrock disagrees. You think many people would buy it if it looked like the first version of Swords and Sorcery Underworld? This game obviously got the pretty treatment in the hope that it sells in the west. I'd say the actual interface wouldn't be all that different from the first game.

mondblut

Arcane

But aren't you a hardcore Soviet that worked on gaems? What's stopping you from doing a translation ala Wesp and going all crazy?

Soviet or not, I am still a dirty capitalist :smug:

This did give me an idea for a certain suggestion though...

Morkar Left

Looks interesting. I would like to know how much citybuilding there is and if units get experience to make cheap troops more useful?

This game obviously got the pretty treatment in the hope that it sells in the west. I'd say the actual interface wouldn't be all that different from the first game.

But for Amerikwa the first should look more appealing with its colorfulness. The pale colors of the sequel are more suitable for Europeans.

mondblut

Arcane
Looks interesting. I would like to know how much citybuilding there is and if units get experience to make cheap troops more useful?

Yes, and yes. Over the course of campaign, you acquire schematics to construct buildings in your home castle, for a total of over 200, some excluding one another (notably magic schools, unit barracks, and item shops). You can also construct up to 3 buildings per secondary province, out of several dozens including upgrades, being unlocked once specific buildings are constructed in the capital.

You have no choice but to make cheap troops useful (if only to sacrifice them to summon demons, haha), since an army can hold a limited number of units of each tier, and the cheap 1st tier troops will always make a bulk of any party. Units do gain experience and are given a choice between 2 randomly offered upgrades each levelup, which might be an increase of a stat, a special ability such as "shoots twice per round" or "costs less upkeep", or even changing into a different unit; each unit has a set of possible upgrades of its own. They may also earn medals which give significant boost to some stat or another at the expense of increased upkeep cost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom