Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion 1+2

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So 22 Sakkra (my arch enemies) Transports, a Silicoid (non-aggression pact) Colony ship, and my own Colony Ship are all one turn away from a planet.
Guess what happens if I colonize the planet, and what happens if I don't?

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
Is the planet non-colonized?
If so, it depends on player succession. Have a look at galaxy map, where you see the succession of players in a turn. You (the human player) are always the player No. 1.

a) you colonize the planet, Sakkras overtake it, Silicoids send transports
b) you don't, Silicoids Colony Ship battles with yours one, Sakkras transports crash...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
a) I colonize the planet, the Sakkras transports which were sent to boost the colony invade instead, and the Silicoid Colony Ship is too late to affect thing.
b) I don't colonize planet, the Sakkras transports crash, and the Silicoids colonize instead. Due to non-aggression pact there is no combat with the Silicoid CS.

Either case I lose.
But I chose to let the Sakkras have it as its always easier to take a planet from an enemy than from a friend. And I really need that planet as a stepping stone to invade the Sakkras.
Looks like I will be able to finally win with the Mrrshans. In this game everyone but me is at war, and the Klackons and Sakkras are quite a bit ahead of the rest.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Further thoughts about the Silicoid...
I've noticed that buying new pop is much cheaper when playing the Mrrshans (no Cloning yet), so it seems like the Silicoids need to Clean before they can buy pop? Unless I've misunderstood how things work, it seems like the Silicoids not having to worry about waste is not such a bonus after all, if they still have to do it before buying more population. Last time I played the Silicoids I noticed that there wasn't that much waste piling up anyway; never more than 4-5 units IIRC.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I thought the advantage of sillicoids was inhabiting planets others couldn't. I think the waste thing's importance depends on your robotics and ecology tech. If you have few factories per pop anyways, there won't be as much pollution to begin with, ditto if you don't produce much per factory.

Besides, a lot of the race balance is more subtlly hidden in what techs they get. Darkloks tend to get cloaking tech for example, which is pretty fucking awesome. Some races get shafted on weapons and get nothing but piles of missles or torpedoes, or bio weapons. Others get all the nice shield piercing all purpose weapons. Some get intermittant targetting computers because their computer tech is full of fucking ECM technology. Etc.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It just seems weird that it should be more expensive for the Silicoids to buy pop, since they are the one race that really needs to do it in order to prosper.
Also, I think they don't get any of the techs that help reduce pollution or reduce cost of cleaning, which (if I'm correct) means the cost of buying pop gets even more expensive. Seems like a design or programming error for the Silicioids to have to get past Clean on the Eco scale before getting to + Pop.

kyrub

Augur
For me, it's a massive oversight in game conception. They realized it later and they even put it in there own Official standard guide as a feature warning. But it clearly goes against the spirit of the race, I mean, if they don't care about waste, why clean it to allow more POP on a planet?

I'll make a fix for it, as it clearly takes a lot from the game.

Frohike

Barely Literate
Hello, I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I figured it would be the best to make my first post in MoO 1 thread, as it is one of the most addicting games I've ever encountered :) And I wouldn't know it if not for the Codex :)

So anyway, I just wanted to thank anybody who recommended this game wherever on this forum, it's absolutely fantastic! Thank you! I also tried the second installment but have to say that I like MoO 1 better, it's more addicting, feels "lighter" and I especially enjoy being able to manage my whole space empire from the "main" screen with just a few clicks, rather than having to go through several screens in order to change anything in my colony, like in MoO 2. It just doesn't feel that good in comparison.

Still, MoO 2 is a good game with many great improvements which I'd love in the first one (namely more races, custom race, Antarans, capturing enemy ships for technology, ability to stop the bombing before destroying whole colony (this one was MUCH needed actually), many small improvements to UI) BUT it's just the basic concept of the game has been changed, and to worse imo. That whole food management is ultimately MEH and only takes from the game. The scope of the first one was military conflict so we had to build ships for attack, missile bases for defence, breed population for ground attack and for money (directly and indirectly via factories) so we could research various new weapons and industry upgrades for further development. And of course diplomacy system and spies so we could eXploit our enemies in yet another ways. So ultimately everything was aimed at eXpanding, eXploring and eXterminating - as fast as possible. And then in MoO 2 they added food management (I'd play The Sims if I cared about that) and that command points thingy (or whatever it's called) - two things which effectively only slows down developing of your empire. For me it's just overcomplicating stuff which seems contrary to the whole 4X idea.

But I acknowledge that MoO 2 is a good game. I enjoy it. It's just that it is a different game from it's predecessor, which is a bit of a shame, really, because I would want something closer to the masterpiece MoO 1 was - only updated, with subtle touches here and there.

On a sidenote, a screen from my game from yesterday. Is this a bug or is it possible within game rules (stamping the rebbelion or something)? :D

ckhmx.png

Destroid

Arcane
I can't say the command point system or food micro ever particularly bothered me, mainly in the later game how lengthy the battles get and the colony micro when you have a lot of buildings can get to be a pain.

There are some games that modelled themselves on MoO1 - Sword of the Stars has a very basic economic system that is similar.

Destroid

Arcane
I don't think espionage can kill pop, only factories and bases. I also don't know how you can stand that blobby filtering. I imagine rebellion, but surely that can't happen to you if you only have one planet.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just kidding about the framed thing.
But maybe their last planet went nova or something (like the mentioned rebellion)?

kyrub

Augur
Frohike
This is the philospohical feature of the original game, showing that we are own biggest enemies.

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
Hello, I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I figured it would be the best to make my first post in MoO 1 thread, as it is one of the most addicting games I've ever encountered :) And I wouldn't know it if not for the Codex :)

So anyway, I just wanted to thank anybody who recommended this game wherever on this forum, it's absolutely fantastic! Thank you! I also tried the second installment but have to say that I like MoO 1 better, it's more addicting, feels "lighter" and I especially enjoy being able to manage my whole space empire from the "main" screen with just a few clicks, rather than having to go through several screens in order to change anything in my colony, like in MoO 2. It just doesn't feel that good in comparison.

Still, MoO 2 is a good game with many great improvements which I'd love in the first one (namely more races, custom race, Antarans, capturing enemy ships for technology, ability to stop the bombing before destroying whole colony (this one was MUCH needed actually), many small improvements to UI) BUT it's just the basic concept of the game has been changed, and to worse imo. That whole food management is ultimately MEH and only takes from the game. The scope of the first one was military conflict so we had to build ships for attack, missile bases for defence, breed population for ground attack and for money (directly and indirectly via factories) so we could research various new weapons and industry upgrades for further development. And of course diplomacy system and spies so we could eXploit our enemies in yet another ways. So ultimately everything was aimed at eXpanding, eXploring and eXterminating - as fast as possible. And then in MoO 2 they added food management (I'd play The Sims if I cared about that) and that command points thingy (or whatever it's called) - two things which effectively only slows down developing of your empire. For me it's just overcomplicating stuff which seems contrary to the whole 4X idea.

But I acknowledge that MoO 2 is a good game. I enjoy it. It's just that it is a different game from it's predecessor, which is a bit of a shame, really, because I would want something closer to the masterpiece MoO 1 was - only updated, with subtle touches here and there.

On a sidenote, a screen from my game from yesterday. Is this a bug or is it possible within game rules (stamping the rebbelion or something)? :D

Food management? Command points? Who cares about them....
2v13gj5.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I'm in the mopping up phase of my Huge, Hard, Mrrrshan game, happily genociding both the Sakkras and Klackons who are also at war with each other. But every turn I get positive feedback from both saying how I'm honouring the peace by nuking the race they are at war with. Either their racial hatred overrided everything else, or else this seems like a bug or design oversight.
Using the previous unoffical patch.

kyrub

Augur
Yeah, that's the EOME effect. EOME stands for enemy of my enemy, if you bombard somebody's planets, they get friendly with you.
The problem in MoO is that this is vastly overrated in AI's eyes. It can be abused totally, more so, because the EOME effect has no cap (more bombs on 1 world, a lot more plus points). Go imagine.

This is one of the prime targets of my AI efforts.

whatevername

Arcane
So I played some Master Of ONION 2... I mean Master of cORnION 2

23hljxj.jpg

It's a very pathetic race with no research and production. The population is a bunch of carebear redneck farmers who just grow GMO corn and .......
......rape face.
29m3xno.jpg

I been playing Master of Orion 2 again. STarted two days ago. Gawd, this game is immortal. I"m playing it on Kubuntu. Stil losing as much as I ever have, experimenting with different custom races and wondering how/why I lost. Just loe it.

Hey I remeber MOO1. For a while, that was MY game. Stoped playing it when I lost the CD, like ages ago. I could of course get it on GoG. Anyway, I remeber when I first played MOO2 I was mad about the ship design being dumbed down (or something). Can anyone specifically say what's changed in the ship design between MOO and MOO2? I can't remember exactly.

Thing is MOO2 grew on me. I tried playing STar Lords, the prototype for MOO1. Was fun, but limited.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
I been playing Master of Orion 2 again. STarted two days ago. Gawd, this game is immortal. I"m playing it on Kubuntu. Stil losing as much as I ever have, experimenting with different custom races and wondering how/why I lost. Just loe it.

Hey I remeber MOO1. For a while, that was MY game. Stoped playing it when I lost the CD, like ages ago. I could of course get it on GoG. Anyway, I remeber when I first played MOO2 I was mad about the ship design being dumbed down (or something). Can anyone specifically say what's changed in the ship design between MOO and MOO2? I can't remember exactly.

Thing is MOO2 grew on me. I tried playing STar Lords, the prototype for MOO1. Was fun, but limited.

The main difference in MoO2 is you always use the best shields/engines/computer, where in MoO1 there were significant tradeoffs to doing that. Also in MoO1 hordes of little ships can be effective, in MoO2 this is not the case/

Destroid

Arcane
The main difference in MoO2 is you always use the best shields/engines/computer, where in MoO1 there were significant tradeoffs to doing that. Also in MoO1 hordes of little ships can be effective, in MoO2 this is not the case/
A bunch of nuclear mirv destroyers disagrees with you.

Dont nuke mirvs just bounce off class V or better shields?

Destroid

Arcane
Dont nuke mirvs just bounce off class V or better shields?
You get mirv nukes at about turn 40 and they can't be stolen, unless you're up against darloks. At that point you have everything needed to build those destroyers that will blow up battleships and starbases in 2 salvos max. The only thing stopping you is vast distances of space, so it'll take some time to build a chain of outposts and find someone to invade (not using omniscient).

You can get a class 3 shield at the same time, but then all you got is a research lab and a shield, which can be stolen from you. Tell me, how do you get a class 5 shield?

Ah, in the original version of my post I mentioned the late game, but edited it out before I posted. By my recollection smaller ships allow you to produce more rapidly but you can fit less firepower into the command limit than with larger ships. In my experience the command limit was most often the limiting factor.

Hehe, using nuclear mirv or merculite mirv is something I sometimes did to kill monsters early.

Do you know how fighter/bomber bays fit into his discussion over small ships versus larger ships?

I guess another possible issue is weapons on ships will typically only use the amount needed to destroy a ship. So if hte goal is to make the enemy waste enormous weapons on a small ship, that tactic won't work. HOwever, this might work with stellar convertors.

On the subject of MOO, how much like star lords is it? And there're many times over the years I wanted to replay MOO, but since I lost the CD, I just chose MOO2 instead. I can of course get it on GoG now. I HAVE played STar Lords.

Playing MOO2 presently lol. That's why I visited this thread.

whatevername

Arcane
I suppose you could use a frigate to either lure the fighters away from your fleet and kite or if they don't target the frigate, fly towards them and self-destruct.

Emily

Arcane
Hey i have been playing Master of Orion 1 for the first time and HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER
Why is it so good guys? so old yet so perfect. I guess games were indeed better then....
Anyways i was wondering anyone knows is there a point in building small ships? so far i cannot find that much point in building them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom