Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Mass Effect Series Retrospective by Shamus Young

Mass Effect Retrospective 38: Cerberus Unlimited
splash800_takebackearth.jpg

There’s a distress call from Grissom Academy, an Alliance military school for gifted young Biotics. Shepard goes to help and finds out Cerberus is attacking the school.

Grissom Academy
me3_grissom3.jpg

On my first playthrough of this game, I’d lost my Mass Effect 2 saves in a computer migration and so I had to use the default world state, in which Jack is dead. If we make the assumption that anyone using the default character is new to the series[1], then this actually makes sense. Jack is a tricky character and it would be awkward to try to explain who she was in the second game just so the player could appreciate her transformation here in Mass Effect 3.

But this series is based on a full play-through of all three games, and so I got to see the different ways BioWare handled the fact that most of your Mass Effect 2 might be dead. They put a lot of work into it, and it really does make for a better world if you take the time to import the saves.

Here at Grissom Academy, Jack has somehow joined the teaching staff. She’s trying to clean up her potty mouth and has ditched the nihilism and random violence in favor of being a mentor to young adults.

I feel like I should complain about this transformation, since I gave the Mass Effect 2 writer a hard time for doing the same thing to Liara. But here the transformation feels a little less extreme, and a little better supported by the events of the previous game. She actually did soften a bit in her character arc[2]. I suppose it helps that New Jack is just as interesting as Old Jack, while the same can’t be said of Liara[3]. Moreover, you can still see Jack’s old personality poking through. Her evolution is a continuation of changes begun in the previous game, and not an out-of-nowhere off-screen re-write. Also – and maybe this is the most important difference – the transformation is properly acknowledged in dialog.

me3_grissom2.jpg

Jack also gives us yet another, “Wow, you were really stupid to trust Cerberus!” conversation. That wasn’t a lot of fun when we had it with Kashley a couple of hours ago, and it has not been improved through repetition.

Once again we come back to the problem of trusting the writer. In the last game, the plot revolved around working for Cerberus, which a lot of players thought was thematically wrong, an obviously bad idea, and poorly justified. They spent the whole game shaking their head saying, “This is dumb and I shouldn’t be forced to do it.”.

And then when we come to these arguments. What do we assume the author trying to say?

1) Yes, the Cerberus plot of Mass Effect 2 was poorly justified. As an apology, here is an acknowledgement of those problems in dialog.

OR:

2) Ha ha! Fooled you! You thought working for Cerberus was a good idea and you got pwned by TIM!

I want to believe #1 is the case, but the writer doesn’t make it easy. Shepard never acknowledges how trapped he was, or how he thought it was a bad idea, or anything else to show that he saw this coming. He can either express regret that he messed things up, or he can arrogantly shut the other person down. But he never uses the one defense that would match how the player feels, which is that he did it because it was the only course of action available to him. And in this argument Jack, not Shepard, gets the last word in. The writer has already passed on a lot of opportunities to patch over problems with the Cerberus plot[4]. Maybe the author was trying to fix the mess of Mass Effect 2, but it feels like they’re just taunting the player for “falling” for their all-too-obvious Cerberus betrayal. If that’s the case, then this is a giant middle finger to those fans. (Which for the most part are fans of Mass Effect 1.)

me3_grissom1.jpg

I’m not sure how justified it is for the Alliance to hire an infamous, dangerous criminal (remember you bust Jack out of prison in Mass Effect 2) who has “worked for Cerberus” as the most recent item on her resume. But then, the Alliance is all over the place in this game and don’t seem to have an identity. Admiral Hackett’s practical military Alliance is very different from the bureaucratic “we can’t be bothered to look after our abducted colonies because we have to polish our ships” Alliance, which is distinct from “We can’t talk to you because you have Cerberus cooties” Alliance which doesn’t mesh well with the, “Hey! You’re a barely sane biotic! Wanna teach our kids? No swearing, though!” Alliance.

One part of the Alliance put Shepard under some sort of arrest for maybe working for Cerberus, and another part of the Alliance put fellow Cerberus alumni Jack and Joker into prestigious positions. If nothing else, the Alliance has a massive, untreatable case of multiple personality disorder that needed lampshading.

In any case, Grissom Academy feels a little Mass Effect 1-ish. The dialog wheel is still pretty lean. If it were up to me, I’d love to have some more details filled in on this place. But the students certainly qualify as peasants – which I mean as praise in this context – and it’s really nice that we get to meet them instead of just step over their corpses on our way to the next gunfight, like on Mars. These students have names and relationships with each other and histories and opinions, which are all revealed organically over the course of the mission.

I also really appreciate that the vehicle section isn’t mandatory.

Sur’Kesh
me3_surkesh1.jpg

So we’re off to the secret Salarian research outpost on Sur’kesh. The Salarians have a single fertile[5] Krogan female, thanks to the genophage cure cooked up in Mass Effect 2.

The dependency chain works like this: Shepard needs the Turians to retake Earth[6]. The Turians want the Krogan to help retake Palaven. The Krogans want a cure for the Geophage from the Salarians. Thankfully, I don’t think the Salarians want anything[7].

The best part of this mission is the tense standoff and the quiet downtime before the shooting starts. When Wrex arrives, the Salarians get really touchy. This installation is their CIA headquarters / Area 51. This is where they collect their intelligence and conduct their research, so having a Krogan drop in is bound to alarm some people. It gets smoothed out, you get some fun dialog, and you even get to see Kirrahe[8].

You get to talk to Mordin[9] and that’s always a treat. The left side of the dialog wheel opens up, the dialog crackles, and it’s generally a great time.

And then Cerberus attacks.

Mandatory Cerberus
me3_surkesh2.jpg

Doesn’t Cerberus have some other goals? What are they trying to do here? Back on Mars, TIM tried to steal the plans for the Crucible. I get it, TIM likes technology. Fine. But he was also trying to erase the data so nobody else could get it. How would that have benefited his cause? What would have happened if that erasure had worked? Who would have built the Crucible then? Nobody? Was that his plan? Or would he have built it himself with the massive GDP he pulls out of his ass? Why didn’t he build one anyway, since it’s so central to his plans? Why is he invading this planet completely unrelated to his core goals?

TIM didn’t exist in the first game. In the second game, he’s abruptly introduced as a super-famous spymaster running a clandestine terrorist / research faction. Now here in Mass Effect 3 he’s a bonkers supervillain leading a galactic superpower.

Why is this character so central to the story when his goals and motivations are all either undefined or contradictory?

The structure and themes of this game are a mess, if they can be said to exist at all. The game opens with the Reaper invasion, priming the audience for a fight against the Biggest Threat Ever. Some Kid Dies, Anderson stays behind, and Shepard is given his mission to Save Us All from the Reapers. And then the Reapers are hurried off-stage and stop being relevant for several hours so we can shoot space marines.

The plot of Mass Effect 3 is a disjointed mess of stories (some of them quite good, mind you) working at cross purposes. We’ve got a Reaper invasion, a full-scale war with Cerberus on multiple fronts, the resolution to the Genophage plot, the resolution to the Geth vs. Quarian plot, the “Kashley becomes a Spectre” plot, the Crucible plot, the Take Back Earth plot, and the resolution to a half dozen character and squadmate stories. Some of these elements were things demanded or expected by the audience. Some of these things were simply needed to bring the overall story to a close. Some of these things were… not.

Specifically, we really didn’t need Cerberus here. You could replace every fight against Cerberus with a fight against the Reapers and it would enhance focus on the main villain, clean up a cavalcade of plot holes, and remove the need for tons of exposition. If Cerberus needed to be in this game, they could have been relegated to a single side-mission to tie up whatever plot threads the writer felt they left hanging in Mass Effect 2.

me3_surkesh3.jpg

Cerberus is attacking Mars. Cerberus is attacking Sur’Kesh. Cerberus is attacking Grissom Academy. Cerberus is abducting civilians on Benning. Cerberus has an evil base where they’re studying Reaper tech. Cerberus has three different fronts on Tuchanka, trying to set off bombs and murder Turian soldiers. Cerberus invades the Citadel. Cerberus attacks on Thessia.

Everyone talks about the Reapers, but we spend so much time fighting Cerberus. The setting has already established an omnipresent foe with limitless resources and an excuse to attack anywhere the plot required, but the writer felt the need to create another, less relevant one. Except, Cerberus doesn’t have any reason to be attacking these sites except to be evil in the most cartoonish way possible.

me3_surkesh4.jpg

Sure, you can balance a story between two villains. But that requires time and attention that this game doesn’t care to spend. There’s too much else going on here, and this story would have been much better served by more focus. They’ve mistaken complexity for depth, and the result is that neither of our villains gets the proper focus. It’s an overcomplicated mess of unfinished ideas that crash into each other rather than conclude sensibly.

But if there was one thing that would have raised the quality of the game as a whole, it would be to cut the Cerberus plot down to a single side-mission and let the Reapers have the spotlight. Sadly, I suspect that Cerberus was the only thing the writer really cared about, which is why it gets so much time and attention. The writer had a story they were obliged to write, and the story they wanted to write, and they sacrificed the former to feed the latter.

What Does Cerberus Want?
me3_surkesh5.jpg

Cerberus has no real stake here. The Krogan warchief is here to get the last fertile female so that a cure can be engineered. This female is a closely guarded secret of the most secretive race in the galaxy. This base is one of their most secure facilities, and it’s on the Salarian homeworld. This plan to turn her over to Shepard is only a few hours old and came directly from the supreme leader of their people. And the Salarians are no doubt already on high alert due to the Reaper invasion. But here’s Cerberus, storming the planet like they’re a galactic superpower and TIM has been reading the script again.

Is TIM trying to kill this treaty? Or is he trying to prevent the genophage cure on practical grounds? Or is he just being a dick? You could argue that he’s worried about another Krogan uprising, but this all-out military assault doesn’t mesh with the clandestine Cerberus the writer was trying to sell us in the last game. While I’m not advocating having more Kai Leng[10] in this videogame, a small covert team would make a lot more sense than this.

Moreover, TIM’s ultimate goal is to take control of the Reapers. That one goal trumps all others. Once you control the Reapers, presumably that will solve all your other problems. And if you don’t, then none of this will matter. “Take control of the Reapers” is the closest thing TIM has to a goal, but everything TIM does undermines that goal. Why not let all the various factions (Alliance, Reapers, Krogan, Salarians) fight each other while you enact whatever ridiculous plan you think will secure that goal? Why not save your supplies and manpower for when they count?

Nobody discusses it and the writer never explores it because the writer isn’t designing conflicts that arise from character or philosophical differences. They’re designing gunfights, and the question of “why?” apparently never entered their mind. Nothing with regards to Cerberus is supported, explained, justified, or reasonable. The nature and motivations of Cerberus change from one scene to the next and the characters can’t even be bothered to lampshade any of it.

And the sad thing is, we’re not even to the bad parts yet.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Once again we come back to the problem of trusting the writer. In the last game, the plot revolved around working for Cerberus, which a lot of players thought was thematically wrong, an obviously bad idea, and poorly justified. They spent the whole game shaking their head saying, “This is dumb and I shouldn’t be forced to do it.”.

My ME2 experience in a nutshell. I still completed it twice. :retarded:

pippin

I feel the worst thing about working for Cerberus is that they didn't gave a proper insight into the organization. I mean, you didn't made it to show it was a bunch of people working there for different reasons, which could go from a sincere belief in Cerberus' ideals to having to work there to make ends meet. Cerberus is always faceless, and the only "bad" guys are the Illusive Man and Miranda's dad, and as a whole they are seen as bad guys because of their "racism", but the entire series revolves around the idea that humans are special because they are the only ones capable of solving this shit.
Bioware makes the most shitlordy games out there if you think about it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That and as Shamus has noted, they have to resort to forcing the player to concede to Cerberus members rather than actually write them as being smart or clever. They're right because the writers say they are, they're clever because the writers say they are, and they're better than you because the writers say they are.

Shamus brought up plenty of examples with TIM, where all you can say in response to several of his colossally idiotic decisions (such as not letting you know about a pre-arranged ambush for no logical reason) with a miffed "Well don't do it again!" at best, but Kai Leng is definitely the worst of it. You can tell that they wanted so badly to make this ultra-cool anti-Shepard who would act as your rival and equal throughout the game, but the first time you fight him he's an absolute fucking pushover, and the game makes the unforgivable move to not just have him defeat you in a cutscene, not just have him email you afterwards telling you how much you suck and how awesome he is, but they also have all your fucking crew members basically tell you afterwards "Don't worry Shepard, Kai Leng is just better and cooler and stronger than you. It's not your fault that he's got a bigger dick than you, there's nothing you can do about it".

That's not writing a good villain, that's just writing a self-insert character.

Mass Effect Retrospective 39: Cerberus Set Up Us The Bomb

EDI, the Normandy’s self-aware unshackled AI core, is scanning the inert robo-body of Dr. Coré when the robot comes to life and fights back. EDI wins, and downloads herself into the body. She emerges from the smoke of the conflict, swinging her new hips and effortlessly sauntering around in her high-heel… feet?

Robomantic Comedy
me3_edi1.jpg

Remember that Dr. Eva Coré was a robot that posed as a human. Now we’re seeing her metallic innards with with her clothes and fleshy exterior burned away. You might expect she would be shaped like a terminator, since the writer seems to like that design so much, and also because that’s what human beings look like with the fleshy parts removed. But no. As luck would have it, EDI’s insides just happen to look like a fashion mannequin.

Which means the body of Dr. Eva Coré was deliberately designed so that her skeleton had built-in high heels. Which implies that she wouldn’t be able to take off her shoes without blowing her human cover, and she’d need to wear custom-made shoes that could accommodate her unusual feet. They went to all the trouble to make her look 100% human and then they gave her sexy built-in robo-heels?

Whatever. It’s just dumb schlock. This entire character was obviously designed fanservice-first. Don’t think about it too hard. The writer obviously didn’t. We’re a far cry from the seriousness of Mass Effect 1 with regards to the taboos, regulations, and limitations of AI. It’s pretty schlocky and filled with obvious fanservice. Over the course of the rest of the game, robo-EDI will form a romance with Joker.

While I resent the more lowbrow, trope-ish approach to AI, I like the romance story anyway. Their banter is fun, and it gives Joker a chance to get fleshed out as a character. I think romance between crew members are inherently more interesting and less creepy than romances between the crew and the player / commander. There’s more room for misunderstanding and character-revealing interpersonal conflict, and so overall I really enjoyed this story. I’d personally love to see BioWare do more of this “matchmaking” type of romance and a little less of the dating sim thing they’ve been doing[1].

On the downside, this pairing of EDI and Joker massively undercuts the revelations at the end of the game. But we’ll talk about that when the time comes.

Benning
me3_benning1.gif

On Benning, Cerberus is kidnapping civilians. Well, they’re actually running around shooting people, but the game claims they’re on an abduction mission. I guess it’s hard to make your orders clear when your entire army is made up of mindless husks.

At the end of the mission Admiral Hackett acts like this move is out-of-character for Cerberus. The game keeps telling us that Cerberus is a competent yet morally compromised black-ops fringe group, but showing us that they’re an empire of stormtrooper space-Nazis crossed with a couple of C-list Batman villains. The writer keeps sidelining the Reapers in favor of Cerberus, but they can’t figure out what Cerberus is or what kind of story they’re trying to tell.

It’s not like Cerberus villainy is relegated to side-missions. Hackett claims that murdering civilians isn’t their M.O., but the first mission of the game the took place on Mars where they explicitly did That Very Thing. And Hackett is the one who sent us there.

Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb
me3_bomb1.jpg

Shepard heads to Tuchanka, the Krogan homeworld. Right about the time the Krogan rebellions ended, the Turians buried a massive bomb on the surface. The idea is that if the Krogan got out of hand again, the Turians could set off the bomb to knock the Krogan back down.

Paragon Shepard gets the vapors over this. Oh, what meanies! But of course the Krogan were killing the galaxy. You know, kind of like the Reapers are now. Everyone was in a desperate struggle to survive. The Krogan rebellions had killed billions. I don’t have The Arrival DLC, but I’m willing to bet nobody points out that Shepard has no right to be self-righteous about this, since he’s the only one in the room to kill a whole star system.

Picture it this way: The Turians could have simply set off the bomb hundreds of years ago, right? That would have been fair. That’s how war works. But they didn’t. They were trying to beat the Krogan without exterminating them. Getting mad at the Turians from centuries ago because they took these precautions is arrogant. Shepard takes this attitude of “I would have found another way.” That would work for another character, but coming from the mouth of the guy who worked for Cerberus in the previous game (and maybe blew up a star system in Arrival) this comes off as outrageously hypocritical. Shepard seems to operate under the moral code of, “Nobody is allowed to commit mass-murdering atrocities but ME!” The events of the previous game have turned the standard Paragon / Renegade system into nonsense.

Oh, and speaking of Cerberus… Guess who is sending troops here, trying to set off the bomb?

me3_bomb2.jpg

How did TIM learn about this bomb, which would have been one of the most closely guarded secrets in the Turian military? Why did Cerberus fly all these forces halfway across the galaxy to set it off? Are they trying to scuttle the treaty you brokered on the Normandy, or are they just trying to murder billions of Krogan for the lulz? How did Cerberus get all these forces to this planet and excavate a skyscraper-sized bomb without anyone noticing and without being killed by the local Krogans, local wildlife, or the Reapers? Why bother excavating the bomb at all, since I’m pretty sure it was designed so it could be detonated by the Turians without them needing to dig it up first? Where does Cerberus get all these soldiers and drop ships from?

It’s Sur’Kesh all over again: Cerberus is staging a mission that doesn’t advance their core goals, by attacking a secret asset they shouldn’t know about, using forces they shouldn’t have.

Note that you could fix nearly all of this if you simply replaced Cerberus with the Reapers in this mission. The Reapers are already here on Tuchanka. The only reason this is a vortex of stupidity and plot holes is because the writer insisted on using their pet bad guys instead of the actual, established villains of the series.

Shut up and shoot the space marines. Worldbuilding is for dorks.

The one nice thing I can say about this part is that you team up with Victus, a Turian who:

1. Has some relevance to the main plot by virtue of being the son of a Turian leader.
  2. Gets a great – albeit brief – character arc.
It’s not much, but I’ll take it.

Curing the Genophage
me3_genophage1.jpg

With the help of Mordin and the fertile Krogan female, Shepard sets out to cure the genophage. They have to use the Shroud facility – a gargantuan atmosphere-altering tower that the writer just suddenly decided existed – to spread the cure.

I don’t mind the abrupt reveal that, “Oh, by the way, this hugely important thing that you’ve never heard of? It exists somehow!” That’s fine, although how much cooler would this have been if the shroud had been established in Mass Effect 2? If the writer had thrown in a couple of lines of flavor dialog about it, and if it had been on the horizon during Grunt’s loyalty mission, then this sequence would have been a satisfying payoff.

I agree with Mr. Btongue, this entire mission is overall pretty great. As the man says: This is a challenging mission for the writer. The two central characters are Mordin and Wrex. But Mordin could have died on the Collector Base in Mass Effect 2 and Wrex possibly died on Virmire in Mass Effect 1. In the previous game you tracked down Maelon, the rogue Salarian scientist who was trying to cure the genophage using unethical[2] methods. In the previous game you could have preserved his data, or you might have erased it. You might have killed him, or you might have let him live. Or you might have passed on both of those choices by skipping that mission entirely. This mission on Tuchanka accounts for all of these possibilities.

me3_genophage2.jpg

The game then offers additional layers of choices. You can betray the Krogan in return for the help of the Salarian military. If you do this, it’s possible to gain the support of both the Krogan and the Salarians. You get the best of all outcomes for yourself, at the cost of knowing you betrayed Wrex.

There are actually even more complex triggers down the line. If Thane is alive, then he saves the life of an important Salarian for you and you can get some Salarian support that way. If you let the council die at the end of Mass Effect 1, then the new Salarian leader is more open to sending you help.

It’s wonderfully complex and doesn’t seem to favor paragon or renegade, but instead feels like a few dozen decisions and events being allowed to play out naturally.

me3_genophage3.jpg

On top of this, the writer brings this mission to a wonderful dramatic conclusion. You get to see a Reaper fight a thresher maw[3]. The Salarian scientist (either Mordin or his hasty replacement) has to ascend the tower at the end to make sure the cure works. You’ve got epic fights, great musical cues, smart dialog, and at the end the spectacle of the “cure” falling down like snow.

Is it bombastic and a little over-the-top? Sure. Maybe it’s not quite the details-first sci-fi of Mass Effect 1, but at least it works on its own terms as broad action adventure. Things flow naturally, and not from contrivances. Your choices matter, the dialog rings true, and it nicely wraps up a story that’s been building in importance since Mass Effect 1 and that’s woven into the fabric of the setting. As a bonus, we don’t have Cerberus cluttering things up and poking plot holes in everything. The fight is focused on the Reapers.

The Citadel
me3_citadel6.jpg

Well, it couldn’t be fun and awesome forever. Our next stop is to visit the Citadel and speak with the Salarian councilor. When we get there, Cerberus has taken control of the entire station. This is something that it took an army of Geth to accomplish in Mass Effect 1. And security was increased after that event. And I imagine security was increased again once the Reapers invaded.

Right. Inside man. Cerberus had an “inside man”. Who they immediately executed, because of course they did. They’re Cerberus, and double agents in positions of power aren’t some precious resource to be guarded, they’re just more people to shoot.

The game apparently doesn’t feel the need to explain how they keep getting these inside agents when they’re crazy assholes who murder everyone, including the people who work for them. No, especially the people who work for them.

me3_citadel5.jpg

But Shamus! The sleeper agents might have been blackmailed! Or indoctrinated! Or mind controlled! Or maybe he’s an alien-hating Human supremacist!

Yes indeed. All of those things are possible things that could go in the story. But none of them did. Coming up with explanations for why things happen is literally the storyteller’s entire job. You have characters that make decisions, and their actions result in drama that we call a “story”. But this writer doesn’t want to write a story. They want to play with their Cerberus action figures, and they want you to watch.

In any case, the fact that Cerberus had an “inside man” doesn’t even begin to explain how they got hundreds of mooks in full Cerberus gear onto the station, along with a few towering combat mechs. Did he prop open the back door of the Citadel with a brick and Cerberus slipped in after dark?

me3_citadel8.jpg

The idea that a “terrorist organization” could take control of the Galactic seat of power in the middle of a war is so absurd it’s like the writer did it just to spite the audience. “Oh, you like a universe built on rules, do you? WHERE ARE YOUR LORE GODS NOW, NERD?” The layers of nonsense exist on so many levels that I’m pretty sure I’ve spent more time documenting them than the writer spent creating them. This sequence is a fever dream of barely-connected events.

1. Invading the Citadel doesn’t advance the overall Cerberus goal of taking control of the Reapers.
  2. We might hand-wave and say they’re trying to help humanity by assassinating the council, except there’s no way that killing the council would do that.
  3. But even if we ignore that, Cerberus shouldn’t have the firepower to stage a full-blown assault on the seat of galactic power in the middle of a war.
  4. Even if they had the firepower, they shouldn’t have any way to infiltrate the Citadel with a force this large.
  5. Setting that aside, these guys aren’t even working towards their stated goal! They’re just running around blowing shit up and shooting people all over the station. They even attacked the mall. The MALL. Just… what?
me3_citadel7.jpg

Shamus, don’t you pay attention? The game says that Cerberus has Reaper Tech™.

Yes, the writer keeps waving the “Reaper Tech” excuse around as if it frees them from having to write a coherent story. The most generous reading of the game is that TIM is indoctrinated, all the Cerberus forces are mind-controlled, Cerberus knows what all the other forces are doing because they’re somehow even better at spying than the Salarians, and they have magical technology that lets them make anything at any time for no cost.

Which means you have a bad guy with infinite power, who knows everything, and who runs entirely on contrivances and crazy.

This is the writer giving up and admitting they have no idea how to do this job, so they’re going to just stuff the story full of their shitty Marty Stu character (TIM) and give up on this whole “worldbuilding” thing.

Next time we’re going to take a break from Mass Effect and talk about worldbuilding. I want to illustrate that even if you swallow the lazy excuse 4-pack of “crazy”, “best spy ever”, “indoctrinated”, and “Reaper Tech™”, Cerberus is still a pile of sophomoric trash.

Xbalanque

Educated
Funny how an inclusive company makes a sexy killer robot with high heels (didn't remember that).

Kind of a good point, that Bioware could focus on relationships between your squadmates rather than all the crew members feeling horny for Shepard.

I agree with all the Cerberus stuff, although they were fun to fight with and I guess this took priority over common sense.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Funny how an inclusive company makes a sexy killer robot with high heels (didn't remember that).

Kind of a good point, that Bioware could focus on relationships between your squadmates rather than all the crew members feeling horny for Shepard.
That's always been an issue with Bioware. Their romance writing going way back to Baldur's Gate 2 has been fucking cringeworthy at best, as well as attracting the absolute worst kinds of fans (Saerilith, anyone?). It's just become more obvious as they keep pushing it further and further into the limelight.

I'd say Baldur's Gate II was probably the absolute lowest point for them in terms of romance writing. Pretty much your entire party save for Varric and Ginger woman were glorified blow-up dolls who's entire existence revolves around Hawke and how badly they wanna fuck him.

Actually think Inquisition made a step in the right direction (if you can call it that) by giving your party members, gasp, sexual preferences! Bet that really pissed off the degenerates in the BSN.

Xbalanque

Educated
Yeah I know, romancing always was kind of funny, it never got as interesting in it was in Torment. I did like however some romance lines in BG2 (Vicionia), I hated Aerie - the baby being in the backpack and occupying space for more valuable stuff.

The thing with ME3 is that you have a team with whom you could have romanced or you did and the relationships thoughout the 3 games do not really evolve in any way that would make sense.

pippin

Bet that really pissed off the degenerates in the BSN.

From what I remember, it did, and a lot. At first I thought they weremostly sjws, and probably they were 5 years ago, but now it seems the Bioware audience is overlapping with the audience for cheap literotica and romance novels.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'd say Baldur's Gate II was probably the absolute lowest point for them in terms of romance writing. Pretty much your entire party save for Varric and Ginger woman were glorified blow-up dolls who's entire existence revolves around Hawke and how badly they wanna fuck him.

:rpgcodex:

Anyway DA2 is the last bio game I bought. Having every npc (male or female) in that game come on to me was annoying. Its the gayest game I've ever played.

As for ME3 one of the only non-shitty things I remember is Mordin singing Gilbert & Sullivan then blowing up.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron

:rpgcodex:

Anyway DA2 is the last bio game I bought. Having every npc (male or female) in that game come on to me was annoying. Its the gayest game I've ever played.

As for ME3 one of the only non-shitty things I remember is Mordin singing Gilbert & Sullivan then blowing up.
I mean to say Dragon Age II but I'm a fucking idiot who doesn't proof read shit.

:dealwithit:

Mass Effect Retrospective 40: TIM Island

Over the past few entries I’ve brought up the fact that Cerberus has, somehow, become a galactic superpower with armies armies and fleets.

Shamus, according to the Codex Cerberus has trillions of credits. And TIM has stolen the plans to all of the Alliance warships. So it’s totally explained and you can’t complain about it.

Okay. The hand-wave for money and intelligence are massively improbable and stretch my credulity to the limit. The codex mentioned Cerberus has corporations and “shell companies”, which makes them sound big and impressive, but it doesn’t actually justify their wealth or power. “Shell companies” is just financial technobabble[1] in this case and doesn’t begin to explain things.

me2_tim6.jpg

Humans are still a small power on a galactic scale. (Or were, according to the earlier games.) Yes, Humans were doing well… for a newcomer. Humans were promising. They had potential. They weren’t gods.

The other races have multiple worlds with dense populations, while humans are mostly on Earth, with a few scattered colonies. On a galactic scale, the other races are the United States, China, and Germany, while Humans are (say) Iceland. Awesome, skilled, and empowered by good home resources, sure. But there’s no scenario where, over a single generation, Iceland becomes so powerful that a single fringe group within Iceland can become a standalone superpower capable of conquering the capital city of one of the major nations.

In any case, trillions of dollars of income are hard enough to conceal on their own. If you’re a ten-year-old you might imagine that companies just have all their money in a big vault like Scrooge McDuck. But the truth is that a great deal of time and effort goes into making sure the money is accounted for. Imagine if Apple and Google tried to team up and funnel billions of income into some extremely illicit and clandestine activity. Yes, they have billions of income, but they also have billions in expenses. Without that money to run your company, your business will suffer. Without that money to pay your shareholders, people will dump your stock. Also, governments like to collect taxes, which means they’re pretty damn good at figuring out where the money goes, because the people who PAY you money file taxes. And even if you can somehow hide all that income, it doesn’t do you any good unless you spend it. And I have no idea how you can secretly spend trillions of dollars.

But fine. Cerberus has limitless money and intel. I’ll humor the writer. Throughout this series, I’ve been talking about why the first game was so good at world building, why that was important, and how these latter games failed at it. As a way of illustrating the point, let’s take a break from talking about Mass Effect and do a little worldbuilding ourselves with this thought experiment:

Welcome to TIM Island
You get to be The Illusive Earth-Man[2]. I’m going to give you “billions of dollars” of untraceable US funds. I’ll also allow you access to the plans for the best war machines on the planet. Any tool or vehicle you need to build, you can have the blueprints for how to build it. I’m also going to give you this:

me3_tim1.jpg

Here is your very own uncharted island. I’ll promise that – somehow – none of the major governments on Earth know about this specific island. Maybe I’ve secretly programmed their spy satellites to blink when they pass overhead. Whatever. The point is that you’ve got massive wealth, access to all the technology blueprints you’ll need, and several square miles of space to work with.

All I want you to do is build one of these:

That’s the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer. As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, it’s a pretty standard destroyer and a mainstay of the US Navy. I’m not asking you to build something insane like an aircraft carrier, which is basically a floating nuclear-powered city / military base / airstrip. No, you just need to build a small-to-medium sized warship. But here’s the catch: You have to build it in secret. The United States is pissed at you. They have you listed as a terrorist organization, and if they find out about this project they’ll show up and bomb it off the map.

Let’s start with raw materials. You can’t roll into the hardware store and buy the parts for Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, so you’re going to have to make them yourselves.

You’re going to need over 9,000 tons of steel. No, you can’t just buy junkers and melt them down. You’re building a warship, not Cadillacs. You need specialty steel[3]. Specialty steel is actually a semi-rare resource and not many steel mills produce it. I have no idea how you’re going to get 9,000 tons of it without raising any eyebrows, but I’m sure you can bribe some people.

You’ll need to get that stuff to the island. I guess you’ll need your own ocean shipping company, since you can’t tell outsiders where your island is. No problem, you can afford it. (Protip: Buy the biggest one you can. You’ll see why soon.)

You’ll need a mill to shape the steel and a shipyard to assemble the pieces. You’ll need a factory where the machine parts can be constructed. You’ll need tons (literally) of specialized cranes and heavy-lifting equipment to move that stuff around. You’ll need glass, plastics, rubber, and several different kinds of metal. This means you’re going to need machines that can heat and shape steel. Those systems are going to require a shipload of electricity, so you’re going to need a lot of generators and a huge volume of fuel. All of that needs to come on your supply ships.

me3_tim3.jpg

You can’t just have your ships dump all those raw materials on the beach and sail away. You’ll need dockworkers. You’ll need engineers trained in this kind of large-scale work. You’ll need a factory full of machinists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and marine engineers. You’ll need welders, mechanics, plumbers, electricians, heavy equipment operators, stevedores, people to manage the power grid, and managers to keep the whole enterprise organized. You’re also going to need just under 200 people to crew the vessel.

Now Hiring
Now, if you were just hiring guys to carry rifles or dig ditches[4], you could get away with hiring disaffected 20-something dropouts that won’t be missed. But you need trained, skilled, experienced workers, which means you’re hiring older people, which means people with families and business connections. It’s going to be hard enough finding the skilled labor you need to come work at your secret island, but asking all of them to leave behind their families for an unknown period of time is beyond absurd. They simply wouldn’t take the job. These people already live comfortable lives and make a lot of money, and they’re going to be relatively smart and educated. You can’t lure them away from their families with money and trickery. At least, not nearly enough of them for a job this size. (Or maybe you’ll kidnap them? I’ll come back to that idea later.)

So now you have a few thousand workers, skilled and unskilled. Plus their families. They aren’t going to sleep on the beach and catch fish with their hands. So you need housing. And people to build the housing. And electricity for the housing. And buildings to protect all of the raw materials and equipment. Even if you use a lot of pre-fab buildings, you’re still going to need trucks, workers, earthmoving equipment, and lots of concrete to build this place. You can’t do heavy industrial work on dirt floors, and you can’t keep your sensitive equipment in a plywood shed, after all.

With this many people on the island, it’s time to start thinking about sanitation. You need running water and some sort of way to deal with sewage. I mean, you’re an evil terrorist organization so you can just dump all the waste in the ocean[5], but you still need to lay the pipes and build the water towers.

me3_tim4.jpg

You’re going to have a lot of trucks rolling around between construction sites, the docks, the fuel depot, and the warehouses. You don’t want to have work come to a halt because it rained and turned your roads into mud. That means you need all the equipment, raw materials, and workers for putting down blacktop.

I didn’t say exactly how big the island is, but as the population grows you’ll have to decide if you want to build “up” or “out”. You can build multi-story buildings close together or you can build lots of low buildings that eat up a lot of real estate. The former requires more advanced building materials, steel, and construction techniques, while the latter requires a more ambitious road network. It’s your call.

In either case, generators are pretty much impractical at this point. You need an actual power plant[6]. However, you don’t have to build it to regulations, so you can build some cheap-ass, un-filtered, coal-fired monstrosity if you want to. So you have that going for you. You just need to keep the smog from getting so bad that it reveals your island[7].

You can’t evac people via helicopter every time someone breaks a leg or gets pregnant. So you’re going to need a medical center, along with the requisite doctors, nurses, paper-pushers, and orderlies to make the place work.

What you have at this point is a small city, which I will name TIM Town.

Of course, with thousands of people living in such close proximity, there will no doubt be disputes. You’ll need some sort of force to police the populace, keep the peace, and settle conflicts in a way that doesn’t get your hard-to-obtain workers killed or injured.

me3_tim6.jpg

Drivers, doctors, nurses, police, managers, housing managers, custodians. You’ll notice that we’ve added a lot of people to the island that aren’t contributing directly to the overall goal of building this ship. In fact, even though our only goal is to build and sail this ship, the number of people directly contributing to that goal are vastly outnumbered by the people in support roles. Infrastructure is a pain in the ass like that.

Sure, you can buy personal armor and infantry weapons on the black market, but if you’re trying to field a fully mechanized military then you need to build all your larger war machinery from scratch. This is why terrorist organizations generally don’t own warships and fighter jets, even though they might really, really wish they did. Every mook in your army is supported by hundreds – perhaps even thousands – of civilian workers.

We’re not close to done yet. Somehow you need to swear all of these tens of thousands of people to absolute secrecy. They all need to keep their mouths shut, without so much as a quick email to the folks back home. And good luck monitoring their internet usage, unless you’re going to hire a surveillance army. (And then worry about who is watching them.) Some totalitarian governments are trying to let their populace benefit from the web without their people being exposed to “bad information”. They have been… not 100% successful. And anything less than 100% exposes your island to the enemy.

TIM: Well then, I just won’t have public internet on my island!

You’ve got an island with thousands of wealthy inhabitants and no entertainment. You’ve got children with no schools and a ton of single young men with no access to porn. You’ve got people doing technical work with no access to a library. You are going to give the people internet, or you are going sit on the beach and make sandcastles all by yourself.

TIM: Sigh. Fine.

You’ll need to feed these people. Highly trained personnel aren’t going to want to bring their families here to Science Fantasy Island so they can eat MREs. Where they lived they could go out for Mexican, Thai, Pizza, Burgers, Sushi, hipster kale-flavored lattes, or a thousand other choices every night of the week. If nothing else, the parents are going to be really worried about their children’s nutrition. So you can’t just build a giant industrial-grade cafeteria. You’re going to need something approaching a middle-class grocery store.

By this point it almost doesn’t matter if your shipping company is staffed with perfectly trustworthy sailors who never breathe a word to anyone when they come into port to load up on supplies. All that food, equipment, fuel, personnel, and raw materials are going to require a steady stream of vessels between civilization and your island. That’s going to be really hard to overlook. I’ve hidden your anthill, but how do you plan to hide that line of busy ants?

Given the huge number of resources and (more importantly) people you’re pulling out of civilization, it’s preposterous to imagine that your island could go unnoticed.

What About Slavery?
me3_tim5.jpg

Now at this point maybe you’re tempted to say you’ll just enslave all your workers, and to hell with this idea of “bring your family to the secret base”. That ought to cut way down on your infrastructure costs and security concerns, right?

Well…

To make this work, you would need to slip undetected into a developed country, kidnap a highly trained worker without harming them, and escape the country with this large, very uncooperative body without being detected and without your prey getting killed or seriously injured. You’ll need to do this hundreds or even thousands of times. And each one will be harder than the last, because mass abductions don’t go unnoticed and people tend to adapt quickly to serious threats. A hack writer might imagine the world is full of inert dunces that just sit around and wait for the plot to happen to them, but in the real world[8] people think about the future, appraise risk, and pursue goals.

In doing these abductions, you’ll attract the rather spirited attention of your foes. (Governments HATE when you swipe their skilled workers, and they hate it even more if you steal their best taxpayers.) Your prey are going to become paranoid, observant, angry, and aggressive. They have high-paying jobs and will hire bodyguards if your abduction spree gets crazy enough.

Even if you somehow perform the abductions without getting caught, you now have several thousand very clever, very pissed off engineers with tools. They will simply build devices to call for help and broadcast the location of your secret base to the world. You could hire guards to keep them in line, but the population of guards is going to need to be massive. In terms of resources, they will probably be more burdensome than the families you got rid of.

Also, slave labor is notoriously inefficient, and skilled slave labor is doubly so. They can look extremely busy without getting any work done, and will spend all their time plotting revenge or escape. A guard can look at a slave and see that he’s not digging a ditch, but can a guard look at an engineer and tell that he’s building a ham radio and not a navigation computer?

me3_tim8.jpg

And remember, it only takes one clever engineer to make a device that will light up the ionosphere with a plea for help, announcing the location of your incredibly vulnerable secret base to your much-stronger-than-you foes, and the whole operation is a bust. And since some of your engineers will be in charge of building radio equipment, I have no idea how you’d keep this from happening.

But fine. Let’s say you miraculously pull it off. By slavery or bribery, you built your one destroyer. Against all the odds, you got it seaworthy without your foes coming to bomb you. High five!

But…

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but the ship isn’t much use without weapons. And you’ll need the specialized explosives to make the weapons work. You can’t buy that stuff, so you’ll need to make it yourself. You’re going to need a chemical plant for that, which means hiring or kidnapping chemists and a staff to support their work and acquiring all the various chemical components without creating a paper trail anywhere. You’ll need a way to dispose of the waste from the chemical plant because that stuff can be pretty dangerous and might make a mess that would give you away.

This is Ridiculous
me3_tim7.jpg

The point of all of this is that massive projects take massive infrastructure, and infrastructure does not mix well with secrecy. Even if you have wealth to rival that of a small nation and unlimited intelligence, this is still an impossible task. Even if your island is magically invisible, the billions of dollars you’re pumping into the economy aren’t. Nor are the legions of skilled workers you’ve absorbed, the tons of raw materials you’re consuming, or the tons of waste and pollution you’re producing. And all of this gets worse if you treat your skilled labor like disposable mooks and have them killed by the dozens in lab accidents. In the real world, people have relatives that will come looking for them if they vanish.

And as ludicrous and impossible as this enterprise seems, I’ve actually skipped quite a few steps. I offer it as an exercise to the reader: What other bits of infrastructure, labor, technology, logistics, or raw materials have I overlooked? What dangers have I left out?

And then realize that once you overcome these impossible odds, you’ve only accomplished one-thousandth of what Cerberus did when they built, equipped, and fielded not one ship, but fleets of them. They don’t just have one island, they have an army large enough to wage war on multiple fronts on multiple worlds against multiple foes. They’ve got weapons, combat mechs, troop transports, fighters, and the ability to maintain supply lines to keep the entire enterprise going.

Okay, this is science fiction where “anything can happen”, but this is still ostensibly a universe based on rules. Unless stated otherwise, the audience will assume that the normal rules of entropy, thermodynamics, and economies of scale apply. Your job as a storyteller is to bridge the gap between what the audience intuits should happen with what does happen in your story. This “secret army” idea is so preposterous that you can’t expect the audience to swallow it without explanation.

But Shamus! Cerberus has Reaper Tech™.

We’ll talk about that next time when we return to Mass Effect 3.
Awesome post, had some great laughs :lol:

Last edited:

Kontra

Educated
He says in the article "the first game was so good at world building". It was a long time since i played it, but i recall being pretty pissed about how stupid the whole thing was. Cant remember what exactly was it but i remember it was enough to make me bitch about it on some forum, so it had to be pretty stupid.

Unless im wrong... Was the first game an exemplary case of worldbuilding or was it shit just like the rest?

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ME1 established rules i somehow didn't want to question. Like, for example the beginning. I start as Shepard, the first human Spectre and could quickly turn into Dudebro McAwesome. But one of the first things Anderson does is to gate my confidence and to remind me about my responsibilities now. The 2 Turians who work together with me are more famous and don't like me. A part of Council doesn't like me and the humans. We are upstarts. This setup prevented some annoying story traps and didn't make me question why most of the other people i meet behave like dicks and can freely push me around. It just worked.

Also the biggest logical hole (why doesn't use Saren his authority to get into the Council to undo the changes to the keepers) gets somehow covered by the discussions between the Council members - you learn quickly that they don't really like each other and use you and the humans to pursue their own agendas. Saren as a Turian might be a legend but he is just a turian Chuck Norris. I don't think he would have gotten access, not with this Council. And i like the fact that you get to see the big villain's network of power and economy. Several of your actions of clearly hurt him and he loses precious allies who are portrayed well.

Then ME2 begins and...Jesus Christ. :argh:

Yeah, in comparison ME1 wins but even as a single game it does a good job. You might not like parts of the world, you might find the whole galaxy silly but it is a well-built silly galaxy. That i could use biotics in low-gravity areas to render charging Krogans harmless...:hug:

Kontra

Educated
Also the biggest logical hole (why doesn't use Saren his authority to get into the Council to undo the changes to the keepers

Yeah the keepers, thats what bugged me. The whole Reapers plan just didnt make any goddamn sense because of them... They have this big scheme where after a certain time (50 000 years?) everyone in the galaxy gets together on the Citadel. And then the Reapers send a signal to the keepers to open a portal that lets them in from another dimension so they can kill everybody. Or something...

But the whole idea, that they need someone to physically press a button on the station to open the portal... How stupid is that? Why dont they do it remotely, since they can build the whole thing and send a signal to the keepers, why not make the process automatic and send the signal to the station itself. Instead they just cross their fingers and hope those bugs are still around to do it for them... Why would they be so stupid and make themselves dependent like that.

And just the whole idea of the keepers and how nobody still knows anything about them for the 1000s of years that the station has been occupied. Its really ridiculous. They dont even know were theyre coming from like they come from somewhere on the station, like the station hasnt yet been explored even though people are living there. Im supposed to buy that?

The only reason for the keepers to be there is really for the twist... So you can say, it was the keepers all along. But they literally ruined the whole story just so they can have that twist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect Retrospective 41: Cerberus Sucks

Last time I talked about how building a massive warship in secret is an implausible idea that, at the very least, needs a thick layer of expositional excuses and lampshading.

Cerberus Building an Army

me3_cerberus2.jpg

Think back to last week’s hypothetical project to build a single destroyer. Now imagine you don’t need to build one destroyer. Imagine you need to build an entire fleet of them. Also you need warships of several different classes. You also need shuttles, fighters, mechs, and ammunition. You need thousands of trained soldiers, pilots, mechanics, medics, officers. You need special custom-made body armor for all of them.

You need to feed, house, clothe, and train thousands of sailors, soldiers, officers, and military support personnel. You need cooks, plumbers, electricians, doctors, machinists, police, heavy equipment operators, and all those other people we talked about.

You’ll need literally hundreds of TIM Towns for this. Even if you steal the ships or poof them into existence using vast automated robo-factories[1] you still need supply lines of food, ammunition, fuel, and replacement parts to keep your forces going. And instead of moving all of those supplies over the vast empty ocean, you have to transport them from civilization to your (hopefully remote) base through many well-traveled mass effect relays.

You need to somehow hire or recruit these hundreds of thousands of people[2], but also somehow HIDE this burgeoning society from a galaxy of people who hate you and want to shut you down. Because you’re not a no-name secret organization. You’re Cerberus, one of the most notoriously brutal forces in the galaxy. “Rogue cells” or not, your name is forever associated with terrorism and atrocities and no sane person would willingly work for you.

But Shamus! Cerberus has Reaper Tech™.

Yeah. See, more advanced technology generally means more infrastructure, not less. The larger and more complex your technology, the more experts you need back at home, taking care of it. We tend for forget this because most of the infrastructure of our daily lives is hidden far away. If I need a new PC, I just go to the store and buy one without needing to think about where they build the power supply, the case, where the chips are fabricated, where the hard drives are assembled, or who fed the people who assembled the dang thing. The PC you’ve got humming away under your desk represents the work of literally tens of thousands of people. Those thousands of people can build me a PC, but if I need (say) anAN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare Suite, then suddenly I need to worry about building the whole thing from scratch, because they don’t sell those at Wal-Mart.

That means I’m going to need to employ all those disparate experts directly to essentially turn raw materials into some of the most complex machinery around. There’s no getting around it: This will take a massive workforce. The more complex the device, the larger the chain of experts between raw materials and final product. Saying Cerberus has better technology than everyone else only makes their advantage more absurd. Not only will they need more infrastructure, but they need more time to figure out how to make the final product. If they’re building experimental prototypes based on Reaper Tech™ then they can’t even copy established techniques from everyone else. Which means you need even morepeople working on the problem.

me3_cerberus3.jpg

Well, Cerberus can enslave people by turning them into partial-husks, which makes them loyal! So a large workforce isn’t a problem for them.

I’ll just allow the hand-wave that Cerberus can acquire an unlimited number of workers, but only because I don’t want to spend the rest of my life belaboring this point. Fine. I can accept having husk-ified footsoldiers and husk-brained stevedores. But a husk-ified biochemist? Husk aerospace engineers?

Remember back in Mass Effect 1, Sovereign faced the problem where he couldn’t indoctrinate someone too fast, or it would make them a drooling zombie. It took time – perhaps decades – for him to make Saren his thrall. And even that was a troublesome project where Saren wasn’t quite as badass[3] and he wasn’t perfectly loyal.

And yet we’re supposed to simply accept that TIM has – in the space of a couple of years – developed indoctrination technology that works better and more reliably than indoctrination personally administered by a Reaper? And TIM’s indoctrination works more than ten times faster? And can be applied to thousands of people at once? This idea is less plausible than any of the previous impossible to accept ideas.

Maybe they use automated factories?

If vast automated factories[4] are part of this universe, then why don’t the other races use them? Everyone else acts like building and maintaining warships is a big deal, so what makes it so easy for Cerberus?

The point is, the power of Cerberus relative to the other powers in the galaxy is unforgivably preposterous on every level.

This World Makes No Sense

me3_cerberus6.jpg

Maybe you found the post on building TIM Island to be incredibly tedious. “Who cares how you build the ship? Just launch it and cut to the action!” But it’s all part of making a fictional universe that’s based on rules. We don’t know how your fictional universe works yet. Unless stated otherwise, we’re likely to assume it works like the real world, or like other fictional worlds in the same genre. If you want, you can absolutely make a universe where ten people can build an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer. Just make up some science-magic and make it part of your world. Make sure the audience knows what the rules are.

The goal isn’t to make a perfectly simulated reality. The goal is just to establish the rules so the audience knows what can and can’t happen. Without rules, the world is just a child slamming their action figures into each other while making explosion noises. The problem isn’t that Cerberus is “too powerful”. The problem is that their power isn’t clearly defined or justified, it comes from nowhere, it changes abruptly between games without explanation, and it’s often portrayed and talked about in contradictory ways. They are as strong or as weak as the current scene requires. Cerberus isn’t properly integrated with this universe.

At one point one of the members of the Normandy’s crew[5] says something to the effect of, “We can’t hit Cerberus back because Cerberus doesn’t have bases to attack”.

Cerberus can pump out ships, soldiers, and guns, yet they don’t have any vulnerable colonies or supply lines to attack. The Reapers never bother them. The entire galaxy is caught in this desperate war for survival. Nobody can get resources, supply lines are cut, and it’s hard to move around because of the Reaper Invasion. Except Cerberus, because the rules don’t apply to them.

This is not something the Mass Effect 1 writer would ever dream up. That thought experiment I did last week? That’s what worldbuilding looks like. You don’t have to design TIM Island if it’s not shown in the game, but you do have to allow for the fact that it exists somewhere in your universe. I know it’s sort of a joke how I always ask “What do they eat?”, but that’s really just a shorthand for this larger concept of building worlds with verisimilitude. The writer didn’t need to show us the massive infrastructure of Cerberus if they didn’t want to. They just needed to realize that it existed and allow that truth to shape their world.

A worldbuilder likes to think about how the universe works, where resources come from, how technology develops, what motivates people, and how they relate to each other. The Mass Effect 3 writer has no interest in that sort of storytelling or worldbuilding. This writer wanted us to shoot some space marines, so they sprinkled Cerberus mooks around and that was the end of them thinking about it.

Maybe you don’t care about worldbuilding. Maybe this is an irritating waste of time to you. But as someone who admires it, as someone who loves to explore ideas like this, jumping from a worldbuilding style of writing to a “drama first” style was infuriating. The vast majority of videogames and movies are built drama-first. This was one of the few exceptions. Seeing the whole wonderfully constructed universe dissolve into G.I. Joe vs. Cobra Commander was heartbreaking. When the writer claimed that Cerberus has fleets and armies but no bases, it was like watching public vandalism as performance art.

me3_cerberus9.jpg

Heck, just a bit of remedial lampshading would go a long way to smoothing this out:

Shepard:
Cerberus is everywhere! How could The Illusive Man possibly have amassed forces this huge?

Liara:
We don't know for sure. Alliance Command thinks that <EXCUSE A> but some of my intelligence contacts have suggested <EXCUSE B>.

Sure, it’s still a mess, but at least the writer would…

1. …signal that this is still a universe based on rules, even if they seem to be breaking them right now.

2. …avoid nailing things down with one excuse, and instead hedge their bets between multiple justifications.
  3. …show that “hero and bloody icon” Shepard can actually operate on a strategic and logistical level, and he’s more than just a really tough space marine.
  4. …protect immersion and raise our interest level by hinting that maybe this is a mystery that will be resolved later. (Even if it never is.)
But instead, people ignore how improbable the Cerberus power level is, while also making this power a major driving force in the story. Once again, the writer seems to never pass on an opportunity to do the wrongest thing possible.

All of this makes Cerberus a giant plot-hole factory. But that’s not really their worst sin. No, the big problem with these guys is that…

Cerberus is Boring

me3_cerberus4.jpg

I get that The Illusive Man is just a big dumb crazy-man who wants power[6] Fine. I could wish for a more interesting enemy, but when the writers thought we wanted a more “interesting” enemy they gave us Kai Leng[7], so I guess we should be grateful The Illusive Man is just dumb and shallow.

But the problem is that his organization doesn’t interact with the gameworld except to produce mooks for you to shoot. Sure, there’s some history in the codex, but it’s the kind of disconnected history that adds plot cruft without contributing anything to the rest of the world. Compare Cerberus to (say) the Krogan and the complicated chain of cause and effect that brought them onto the galactic stage and established all the relationships between the races.

In Mass Effect 1 we get a sense of how all the other races feel about each other and their place in the galaxy. How the Krogan feel about the Turians and the Salarians. How the Volus feel about the council races. How the Asari feel about Humanity. It all forms this complex web of politics and culture. But you can’t find Cerberus anywhere in there. Nobody talks about Cerberus. Here’s the biggest threat outside of the Reapers, and they don’t seem to have any impact on galactic politics, history, or culture. The writer has never put any meat on the bones of this organization.

Here’s the codex from the Mass Effect 2 wiki:

Immediately following the First Contact War, an anonymous extranet manifesto warned that an alien attempt at human genocide was inevitable. The manifesto called for an army – a Cerberus to guard against invasion through the Charon relay.

Derided as “survivalist rhetoric written by an illusive man”, the manifesto and its anonymous author soon fell off the media radar. But in 2165, terrorists stole antimatter from the SSV Geneva, the sole figure arrested named his sponsor “Cerberus”. Throughout the 2160s and 2170s, alleged Cerberus agents assassinated politicians, sabotaged starships bearing eezo, and conducted nightmarish experiments on aliens and humans. Denounced as human-supremacist, Cerberus calls itself human-survivalist.

Counterterror experts speculate Cerberus may have changed leadership with its recent shift to stockpiling ships, agents, and weapons. Whether “he”, “she”, or “they”, the Illusive Man hides his finances behind shell companies. Few doubt he will kill anyone attempting to expose him.

For one thing, Cerberus is a central part of this story, so stuffing all of their backstory and motivations into the codex is completely unreasonable. The codex is meant to augment your story, not replace it. But more importantly, none of that backstory means anything. You could re-write it to be some totally different origin without conflicting with what we see in the game at all[8]. You could move their origin to twenty years ago. Claim they were started by an Alliance general. Maybe they were the remnants of an old political party on Earth. None of the events above tie into history and none of them tell us anything about their goals.

me3_cerberus7.jpg

So what does the Cerberus rank-and-file believe in? The Cerberus peons you met on the Normandy in Mass Effect 2 were cheerful and positive and seemed like nice folks. Were they aware of the breadth and depth of cruelty Cerberus has inflicted on people? Do they see those actions as justified, or do they think it’s all Alliance propaganda? Jacob likes Cerberus for “getting things done”. Aside from fighting the Collectors, what things did he think needed to be done? Presumably not a single thing we see them do in the game. Did he know about that stuff?

When Miranda claimed Jack’s childhood torture was the work of a “rogue cell” is the writer trying to say this is actually the case, or is the writer trying to show that Miranda is delusional? Before the Collectors arrived, what was the big cause at Cerberus that got her excited? Is she even aware of the sheer number of atrocities her organization has perpetrated?

What does the average Cerberus mook want to see in the future? Humans isolated from aliens? Humans ruling over aliens in a meritocracy sense? Ruling over them in a “British Empire in Space” sense? Ruling over them in a “Sith Empire” sense, with the aliens reduced to slaves? Or maybe just exterminating them? Are there disagreements and factions within Cerberus? Any religion? It’s clear that most Cerberus personnel are volunteers before the events of Mass Effect 3. So what makes people join Cerberus in the first place? How does the average human C-Sec officer feel about Cerberus? Secretly cheer them on? An embarrassment? An outrage?

me3_cerberus8.jpg

None of the Cerberus people we meet espouse any worldview that would justify joining up with this army of murder-clowns. The writer keeps pushing Cerberus further into the spotlight, but they have no interest in characterizing the organization or showing how they tie into the existing galaxy. Once again, it’s a lack of worldbuilding.

Like I said above: Sure, you could justify Cerberus power and technology with space-magic. But there’s no reason for the audience to give the writer the benefit of the doubt and even less reason for them to try and repair this mess with their own headcanon.

Cerberus is Thematically Wrong

me3_cerberus5.jpg

Sometimes the author pretends that Cerberus is a secret, and sometimes Cerberus is an infamous terrorist organization guilty of war crimes. Sometimes Cerberus is a clandestine organization and then later they’re a galactic superpower. Sometimes they’re the only people working for humanity’s interests, and sometimes they’re space Nazis. Sometimes they cure death and sometimes they’re killed by science so bad it wouldn’t be out of place as aDoofenshmirtz plot. They’re a terrorist organization with no clear ideology. They’re a standing army with no means of support.

Putting Cerberus into this universe is like putting a Bond villain in a Tom Clancy techno-thriller[9]. That’s great if you happen to like bombastic, over-the-top action, but ruinous if you were reading because you liked the depth and attention to detail. Except, Cerberus isn’t even a good Bond villain. They’re flat and boring and draw precious screen time from the main event, which is the conflict against the Reapers.

The first game set us up for a story about exploring strange far-flung worlds, meeting aliens, and fighting aliens. Now here at the end we’re fighting to save humans on Earth from humans in space[10]. This is thematically a different sort of story with a different appeal. Imagine if the last couple of Harry Potter books had a major story arc going on where Harry took a break from opposing Voldemort so he could fight a drug-dealing biker gang in muggle world. Sure, you can make a good story about fighting biker gangs, but that’s not what the Harry Potter audience is here for.

So even if you fixed the myriad of plot holes orbiting Cerberus, you’re still left with a vague villain with no worldbuilding. And if you fixed that, you still have a shallow villain that runs on crazy and doesn’t have anything interesting to say about life in the galaxy. And even if you ignore that, Cerberus is the wrong kind of villain for this style of story.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect Retrospective 42: A Thoughtless Coup

I know the last two entries distracted from the main plot of the game to talk about Cerberus. This is fitting, since Cerberus is itself a distraction from the main plot of the game.

But now it’s time to pick up where we left off:

A Bloodless Coup

me3_citadel9.jpg

Cerberus has invaded the Citadel, shot all the civilians[1] and are trying to kill the Galactic Council. Kai Leng shows up and does some ninja flips, Shepard acts like a dumbass in several consecutive cutscenes, and at the end you end up in a standoff with Kashley, having yet another argument about trust.

I know everyone wants to pounce on Kai Leng and talk about him, but let’s put him off for now, because there are a lot of other things going on in these cutscenes.

If the Kashley debates had been any good, this might be a great character moment. But they’ve been angst-ridden cliches, so this isn’t a payoff or a conclusion to an ongoing exchange. It’s just more of the same “Trust me / I don’t trust people who work for Cerberus / But no seriously trust me / But Cerberus tho” dialog.

The big reveal here is that Udina betrayed the council. So a Human betrayed the council to other humans but then a Human saved them. And then C-sec showed up – they’re all human now too, by the way – to wrap up the scene and assure Kashley that Shepard is fighting Cerberus, not working for them. The Asari and the Turian council members are also in this scene, but they’re basically scenery. They get a couple of lines, but the Humans drive the story.

The writer is so pro-human I’m starting to think they’re working for Cerberus.

me3_citadel10.jpg

Again, this might be an interesting twist if Cerberus was about something, or if this was a payoff of some kind. Or if this had been foreshadowed at all. (Remember how vigorously the writer foreshadowed the twists and betrayals in KOTOR and Jade Empire?) But no. This is more stuff that just sort of happens with no build-up.

What was Udina’s plan here? Cerberus would kill the rest of the council, and then what? Did he think he would become king of the galaxy? The Wiki says he wanted to stage a “bloodless coup” to “arrest the Council and force them to grant him the emergency power necessary to order all Citadel forces to Earth”. Except, that’s not how any marginally developed governing body works. If one supreme court justice assassinated the other six, he wouldn’t become Judge Supreme. Lines of succession exist to prevent this very thing. I have to imagine that advanced species like the Salarians, Asari, and Turians are familiar with the pitfalls of primitive power struggles. This idiot coup reveals a child-level view of politics.

Even if Udina did somehow wind up the only person on the council, did he think the entire Asari military would abandon their homeworld and start obeying him just because he took over? And even if all of those unlikely things are true, did he really think Cerberus was the one to solve this problem for him?

Like Jacob, Miranda, and Joker, Udina seems to have a completely unrealistic view of Cerberus that’s divorced from anything we’re shown in the game.

This twist wasn’t properly set up, it wasn’t foreshadowed, and then once it happened the writer didn’t put in any of the work needed to support it. Udina did something idiotic and destructive not because it fit with his personality or advanced his goals, but because the writer had an idea for an “awesome” section where we fight Cerberus on the Citadel, and they decided to use the Udina character to excuse it.

Udina was a pragmatist and had no love for the other races. This made him an interesting ideological foil for a alien-loving paragon Shepard. But the Mass Effect 3 writer doesn’t understand subtlety, so in their cartoon version of Mass Effect you’re either a saint or a super villain.

Udina’s actions aren’t explained well enough to make this twist interesting. Even if we’re willing to entertain the preposterous notion that an independent terrorist organization can invade the galactic seat of power[2], Cerberus has nothing to gain by doing so. If Kai Leng is an assassin then why didn’t he, you know, assassinate these people in an ambush instead of charging in with the Space Marines?

me3_citadel11.jpg

Everything is so beautifully wrong. Every character is out of character. This is wrong in terms of character motivations. It’s wrong in terms of what should be possible given the rules of the universe. Every conversation is packed with jarring oddities. Every battle is preposterous and every cutscene has Shepard negating the player’s victory through brazen cutscene incompetence. None of this fits with what came before and it doesn’t establish a payoff for later.

This is one of the reasons Mass Effect 2 and 3 are so bewildering, and why I began this series. The game has these stark shifts in quality from one moment to the next. Hitman: Absolution is objectively a dumber game than Mass Effect 3. But Absolution doesn’t have these wonderful flashes of vibrant creativity and depth. It’s mostly uniform lowbrow crap. But Mass Effect 3 does these abrupt slam-cuts between brilliance and bullshit. One minute we’re discussing the moral implications of using a synthetic plague to prevent a war that would kill billions, and in the next we’re having a swordfight(!?!) with Kai Leng as he leads the forces ofBlue Laser on a mission to gun down all the human civilians on the Citadel in the name ofHuman Supremacy Or Whatever. It’s like having bits of I, Robot interleaved with bits of Eye of Argon.

me3_kaileng1.jpg

In a strange way I think the moments of quality actually make the game feel worse. The fun side-missions – filled with smart dialog[3] and attention to detail – hang around just long enough for us to get used to them before they’re rudely yanked away again. It’s like someone alternating between giving me ice cream and punches to the face. I don’t know what to make of this experience. This isn’t something you usually see in fiction. It happened sometimes in Star Trek, but the shifts were usually between episodes, seasons, or even shows. You didn’t usually see the quality oscillate from scene to scene the way we do in Mass Effect 3.

Once cornered, Udina breaks character yet again and pulls out a… gun? And not to defend himself, but to try and brazenly murder the Asari councilor in front of everyone? Maybe? I have no idea what he thinks he’s doing. Is he planning to shoot his way through Shepard’s squad and all of C-sec to cover up his crime?

He’s killed in the resulting standoff, which nicely ends the scene without putting the writer into a position where they might be obligated to justify this mess.

Kai Leng retreats, and I guess all the Cerberus guys teleport away.

Gellix

me3_jacob1.jpg

Shepard finds a remote outpost of ex-Cerberus scientists who have left the organization and are on the run. Jacob is helping them escape, and of course Cerberus is sending waves and waves of space marines to murder them all. TIM has decided that in the name of Human superiority, he needs to kill all these valuable, highly trained human scientists[4] rather than allow them to go elsewhere and perform research that didn’t kill humans.

During the conversation about Cerberus Jacob muses, “You ever wonder where it all went wrong? I mean… was I blind?”

I dunno Jacob. You never gave an adequate reason for joining up with them in the first place. Then again, the dialog wheel never let me ask you – or tell you – about their crimes. I honestly can’t tell if you were blind because the writer never allowed us to have a conversation where I could understand your point of view. Did you even have one?

A few paragraphs I mentioned how good the non-Cerberus sidequests are. Here’s a good example:

Lesuss

me3_lesuss1.jpg

Before I talk about Lessus I have to say: Thanks to whoever wrote the descriptions of all these planets. They’re wonderful[5]. Every planet in the game has one. They’re full of history, cultural notes, and little scientific details. I’m glad someone at BioWare still enjoys worldbuilding.

The entry on Lesuss explains why you’d have this seemingly uninhabited yet habitable planet in a universe with so many crowding problems. It’s the planetary equivalent of a swamp: Nobody wants to live there because it’s uncomfortable. I love details like this that manage to head off questions before I even think to ask them. It makes the universe feel more real.

I love this section of the game. We’re visiting a monastery for Ardat-Yakshi. They’re Asari with a defect that causes them to destroy their partner’s brain during mating instead of melding with them harmoniously. Imagine Mr. Spock doing a mind meld. Now imagine Mr. Spock is also a Siren. And also a mind flayer. That should give you an idea of what we’re talking about here. It’s a medical condition with no cure. These Asari are simultaneously prisoners and patients. The concern is that if they were allowed to roam free, then sooner or later they’d get horny and melt some poor sod’s brain.

me3_lesuss2.jpg

If Samara is alive then you bump into her here and meet a couple of her daughters, and get some additional (if heart-wrenching) closure to her story.

Mechanically, the mission is used to introduce the banshee monster type. Every major race has a corresponding “husk” style monster in the Reaper forces, and this is what you get when you husk an Asari. They’re probably the most dangerous[6] ground forces in the game, if only for their insta-kill attack that happens if you get too close.

I do enjoy the idea that all of the other races turn into these awesome badass monsters when enslaved by the Reapers, but humans just turn into cannon fodder zombies. It’s nice to find some small corner of the game where humans aren’t the Most Important People.

donkeymong

Scholar
I like this quote: "Mass Effect 2 felt like it was made by someone who disliked Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 3 feels like it was made for people who disliked Mass Effect 1" because it's something I thought but couldn't quite articulate.
I disagree with the last part. 3 brought a little bit weapon customization back and power evolutions(biotic tech) actually mattered a bit.

donkeymong

Scholar
ME1 established rules i somehow didn't want to question. Like, for example the beginning. I start as Shepard, the first human Spectre and could quickly turn into Dudebro McAwesome. But one of the first things Anderson does is to gate my confidence and to remind me about my responsibilities now. The 2 Turians who work together with me are more famous and don't like me. A part of Council doesn't like me and the humans. We are upstarts. This setup prevented some annoying story traps and didn't make me question why most of the other people i meet behave like dicks and can freely push me around. It just worked.

Also the biggest logical hole (why doesn't use Saren his authority to get into the Council to undo the changes to the keepers) gets somehow covered by the discussions between the Council members - you learn quickly that they don't really like each other and use you and the humans to pursue their own agendas. Saren as a Turian might be a legend but he is just a turian Chuck Norris. I don't think he would have gotten access, not with this Council. And i like the fact that you get to see the big villain's network of power and economy. Several of your actions of clearly hurt him and he loses precious allies who are portrayed well.

Then ME2 begins and...Jesus Christ. :argh:

Yeah, in comparison ME1 wins but even as a single game it does a good job. You might not like parts of the world, you might find the whole galaxy silly but it is a well-built silly galaxy. That i could use biotics in low-gravity areas to render charging Krogans harmless...:hug:

Saren also needed the Sovereign to dock to open the relay to dark space. Allowing an completly unknown ship,bigger and likely more powerfull
then the Ascension ,now thats something not even Saren could have done.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ME3 was fucking terrible. As soon as EA forced them to make the game Multi-player you knew all the area design would turn to complete shit (and it did).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom