Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Lol, the erratic movements of the Krogan.

mC3vCO.gif

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
You know things must be bad when even the youtube comments seem to be channelling the codex spirit, instead of the usual stream of insipid cancerous tosh.

It'll probably still sell like hotcakes regardless :argh:

pippin

You know things must be bad when even the youtube comments seem to be channelling the codex spirit, instead of the usual stream of insipid cancerous tosh.

It'll probably still sell like hotcakes regardless :argh:

Nah, I think it will go out as another Inquisition. Some people will enjoy it but nobody will ever talk about it again. Also they aren't really complaining about codexian things, just that the game seems an awful lot like an anime. At least there seems to be universal hate against the ugly asari, unlike the ugly elf from the previous game.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The weird thing is the environments look gorgeous and combat animations are not bad. So they DO have the talent to at least make the game competent visually. We must ask then, who is making these animations for dialogue, someone's nephew with a woman's studies degree and no future?

sullynathan

Arcane
this must be that pre-release build that IGN and Gamespot were playing that was bugged out. I don't really expect the final game to be better.

Tytus

Arcane
Somebody should tell him that Asari basically clone themselves. One bloody Asari can recreate an entire species.

No, I'm sorry, this is bullshit. I believe Liara explained this in the first Mass Effect. The Asari have only one gender, but this doesn't mean they can replicate without a partner.

Yes, Liara explained it, you just didn't understand. Asari don't use DNA of the partner to produce an offspring. They use a partner to randomize their own DNA. So an asari child is in essence an Asari clone that had it's DNA randomized before conception. This is why one Asari can rebuild the species. They can mind-meld with ANYONE or ANYTHING to make a child and because DNA compatibility is not an issue one Asari can have let's 3 daughters. Daughters that will later randomize their DNA with anything they want and so on. Asari if they wanted (during child bearing stage) can reproduce exponentially.

So do they have vagina, labia, clitoris, or just some generic alien meat hole meant to satiate their own desires and to be sufficient for any number of other species? And does this mean they just need to have an aliengasm to become pregnant with themselves? If someone else flicks their bluebean can it make them pregnant? I'm sure the BethBoards covered this as some point. Asking for a friend.

lj7yXO8.png

Fully functional and anatomically correct.

Tytus

Arcane
You guys are all wrong. I've seen the Bioware light. The game is going to be amazing. I will play it seven times. And I will do it in my Turian Fanboy Hat!

4e13ef56f479886bd7c0e98e3e3ab314.jpg

RoSoDude

Arcane

20 seconds in, I'm disgusted already. I can't do it.

This is some of the worst combat AI I've seen in years. Granted, I don't play most modern shooter tripe, but this is godawful. They just sit there and take it, most of the time shooting at fucking nothing in particular. Cover use is abysmal, and no dynamic movement behaviors. The player is allowed to run roughshod over the entire battlefield, apparently without even drawing significant aggro. What the hell am I even looking at.

Yes, the animations are notably terrible, the models are ugly as sin, and your crew apparently gives you ceaseless instructions which boil down to "scan the thing hurr durr", but at the end of the day, the gameplay being shit is the problem. And boy does it stink like it.

I've already seen mindless ME drones disliking any video critical of it, and I know people who pre-ordered just because "they have to spend their money on something", so this will probably rake in the cash regardless.

sullynathan

Arcane
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Asari supply both genes, but receives vaguely defined "information" via melding that alters one set of genes to reflect the character and attributes of the mate. In short this "information" forces mutations in the Asari genome that prevent their children from being clones. The more different the species was from the Asari the more robust the mutations.

Strongly implied that the Asari originally had the ability to mate this way only with each other, but the Protheans used heavy genetic rewrite during the Reaper War to make it work with other aliens, the idea being the Asari would be able to create a galactic society that's diversity would frustrate the Reapers' strategic math.

Ergo, the Protheans were strong, but culturally homogeneous, so the stronger Reaper society mathematically would have to win eventually. The theory was that even if the next galactic society in the cycle wasn't technologically superior to the Reapers, the diverging combat doctrines of races like the Turians and Krogan working together would make it harder for the Reapers to assert dominance.

J1M

Arcane
Cover use is abysmal, and no dynamic movement behaviors
The cover is the exact same as the first game

ME1's combat was atrocious, your point?

I don't think it's unreasonable to require engaging AI from a game that will be 90% comprised by third person shooting. Frankly it's the aspect that should receive some of the most design focus.
The AI is the same as the previous games
That's not how computers work. It may be terrible, but it won't be the same. The other Mass Effect titles were made in Unreal engine.

sullynathan

Arcane
That's not how computers work. It may be terrible, but it won't be the same. The other Mass Effect titles were made in Unreal engine.
Would unreal engine make the AI behavior different even if the devs developed it in a certain manner?

J1M

Arcane
Would unreal engine make the AI behavior different even if the devs developed it in a certain manner?
Yes, if they were competent and intentionally trying to do a poor job.

Or if they were incompetent and lucky.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Bioware never fails to deliver so many laughw to the Codex without us having to by or play their games

You'd think that, but only because Codexers go offline in Steam to hide their shame when playing this kind of shit.

I can still see 74/80 achievements earned in Fallout 4 on their profiles, of course, provided they aren't also hiding their profiles out of shame.

There is a 200+ page thread in F4 so I don't think that's a big secret

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, ha ha, you don't get it... you see (hee hee), we're only MAKING FUN OF IT, right? Heh. We're not actually PLAYING it. We just like to shit on bad games here at the Codex, ha ha ha.

Juggie

Augur
It's not the YouTube comments channelling the Codex spirit but the other way around. Seems like shitting on Andromeda is the hip thing to do because basement dwellers (read target audience) are offended by its waifus' looks.

Discussing how The Witcher 3's NPC womynz are more attractive than this one's for god knows how many pages? Good job Codex, now I know why The Witcher 3 won the 2012-2016 popularity poll.:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom