Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mask of the Betrayer Ten Year Anniversary Retrospective by George Ziets

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I see. Exploring dialogue trees is more "core gameplay" than exploring the game world and solving quests. Sure thing, bro.

Mind dungeons that require special scripting and programming aren't core gameplay. Dialogue trees that anyone can make with the tools they specifically created for that purpose are part of the core experience, yes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TBH we don't really know whether this is an issue of "core vs non-core" gameplay or if Obsidian simply didn't have the budget to create new areas or scripted interactions - which would also have been "core gameplay" but too expensive to be worth producing for a companion sidequest.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Obsidian does not have skills. There are modders out there who did a better job of designing encounters, a la SOZ and MoW.

Sentinel

Arcane
I see. Exploring dialogue trees is more "core gameplay" than exploring the game world and solving quests. Sure thing, bro.

Mind dungeons that require special scripting and programming aren't core gameplay. Dialogue trees that anyone can make with the tools they specifically created for that purpose are part of the core experience, yes.
ie: sawyer doesn't like taking risks
this is why his games are shit, and his only success will forever remain New Vegas, and that's only because people went 13 years without a good Fallout game, so even that game's merits are often overblown, with its best content being found in the DLC, directed by people who actually wanted to do some new stuff.

Sawyer would fit very well at BioWare or EA.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
As much as I dislike Sawyer's work, calling New Vegas bad just because he presided over it, is edgy. It is an exceptionally good open world game trapped in a terrible engine and coiled in bad mechanics.

Sentinel

Arcane
As much as I dislike Sawyer's work, calling New Vegas bad just because he presided over it, is edgy. It is an exceptionally good open world game trapped in a terrible engine and coiled in bad mechanics.
Don't recall saying it was bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom