Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer, let's play it!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
01---Title.jpg

Welcome, codexers, to yet another LP of our favourite expansion to one of our most hated games: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer. Now I said I'd do this in a way comparable to this great LP of KotoR 2, so I'll be going into detail explaining some of the more subtle themes the game touches on and also a bit of insight into who the characters are and how their motivation relates to their actions in the game. Of course, a few hidden goatses and nigger jokes are necessary as well - this is the motherfuckin' Codex after all!

Now, as most of you know, NWN2 is one of the most poorly optimised and badly designed RPGs out there. Graphics-wise, it doesn't look half bad, except for the horrible shadows, but everything else about it made it into an instant Codex bashing favourite. The storyline was as cliché as it gets, the characters were annoying cardboard cut-outs, the setting was so overused that even Volourn disowns the game, the RTwP gameplay gets annoying quickly and, as racofer wouldn't hesitate to add, THE CAMERA FUCKING SUCKS BALLSES!!! One fine day near the end of 2007, however, something incredible got released: the only good product Obsidian ever made. The characters were varied and fleshed out, the storyline was interesting, the dialogues actually had choices and consequences and the setting was almost never used. The actual gameplay was the same, unfortunately, but a new mechanic was introduced that helped make it suck less.

RPG fans called it "Planescape: Torment Lite", which is a pretty big honour, but the fact that you have to be able to run NWN2 to enjoy it (and that the average old-school dungeon crawler enthusiast has a computer that barely runs Windows XP) made a lot of people miss out. Anyway, I played it to the end about twice so IN YOUR FACE!
02---Chapter-I.jpg

Our main character is an elven tranny named Butch. Kingcomrade is her last name, so that we may be blessed by the gods! She doesn't believe in gods, by the way, which'll give her a special interest in a certain part of the storyline. Chaotic Evil is how she rolls, and her bling is her Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker costume. Yes, an elf barbarian. The game we'll play won't be vanilla, in that Butch has had her conversational skills h4xed to 44 and her attributes boosted to 20. This is because combat is the worst part of the game and dialogue and skill/stat checks in dialogues are the most important - the easier the combat and the more dialogue choices, the better.

Now let's start this shit. Background song for the barrow.

03.jpg

You struggle to raise your head. A hole has been carved into your flesh, just above your heart... and raggedly stitched by an unskilled hand.
04.jpg

Runes dance upon the walls - primitive drawings of men and wild beasts. Their eyes are fixed upon you, draining the strength from your aching limbs. Something stirs inside you... a presence, a hunger. It is bound, angry... and it cannot escape...
05.jpg

06.jpg

Back... don't touch me.
th_safiya.jpg
Hold still. Without a bandage, you'll bleed to death. Whoever stitched these wounds was hopeless... I've seen better work on golems.
07.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
I know you have questions but we must leave. Now. Before the spirits wake.
Spirits? What kind of place is this?

A local pub?

08.jpg

A local underground titty bar with bad bouncers?

09.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
But that's after we get out. For the moment, haste is all that matters.
[Lore] Those tattoos and your red robes... they mark you for a Red Wizard of Thay.
th_safiya.jpg
I'm that and more. But I'm no threat. Not to you, at least.
Tell me who did this to me. I intend to settle my debts.
th_safiya.jpg
I don't understand. If someone trapped you here, cut you open, then surely you would know... But you don't know - do you? I can understand your confusion... I - it must be very disorienting.
Have you seen these runes before? What do they mean?
th_safiya.jpg
Yes... they caught my eye as well. There's almost nothing about Rashemi runes in the Academy archive, but... that rune, there. It's called the Dancing Man. It depicts a cricle of dancers, surrounding an... evil spirit. The runes were part of a binding spell that held you - but I have dissolved its power. Come, we've beeen here too long as it is.
10.jpg

Now one of the things that makes this resemble PST is that you start out with AMNESIA somewhere in an alien world. Rashemen is inhabited by spirits called telthors, and the local populace love them a huggy wuggy bunch.

Right now, Safiya has a pretty bad spell selection, so let's change that. Also, if you notice I also have my strength decreased, but we'll get to fixing that a little later.
11.jpg

Much better. Now if we examine that skeleton next to us, Blackadder says that there's no apparent cause of death - it's like he chose this specific location to lay down and die. Examining the runed pillars in here brings us into a sort of dialogue:
12.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
Wait! No!
As your fingers brush the stone, a thrill of wild energy surges through your body. The runes grow larger, brighter... they fill your world... Figures sweep past you in a torrent of sound and light. The presence within you twists, seethes... as if you are peering into its depths...
No sound or light were removed from an inventory in the making of this LP.
More pictures emerge from the runes cavorting through your fevered mind. A laughing boy, trailing in your wake. A woman with golden skin, eyes alight with love, a wall of screaming souls. And then, the vision passes. The runes seem dimmed, and your eyes are clear once more.
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg

Choosing "You seem to care for him a great deal." will net you influence points with her, but you can easily get more than enough throughout the game. Safiya's personality is defined by one thing: she's a Red Wizard who's not quite as cruel as the others. You get influence points with her in two ways: showing some knowledge of spellcasting and magic, or getting past the usual stigma of Red Wizards and treating her like a normal person. I would say she's the least memorable out of MotB's cast, but nonetheless she's a notch above most characters in other RPGs. Kaji can pick locks and disarm traps, mainly because there's no rogue character that joins you. Actually, I think One of Many can become a rogue, but I'm not too sure.

So we have found our first opponent. Now the fool's dead.
19.jpg

We'll be finding a shitload of spirit essences throughout the game. In fact, essences are around 95% of what monsters drop. They're used for enchanting weapons, but we probaby won't use any.
20.jpg

The City of Judgement is our first hint at what one of our final goals is the game will be. Well, the second actually - remember our vision of "a wall of screaming souls"? Anyway, a quest appears:
21.jpg

As we exit the lower barrow, we're greeted by WhiskeyWolf's gay cousin wolf.
22.jpg

23.jpg

She's not well-versed in wolf diplomacy.
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

OH SHI-
27.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
That wasn't a spell, or a divine invocation... how did you do that?
It was a hunger... something that welled up inside me...
th_safiya.jpg
And your wounds - they've healed. Whatever you did, you destroyed the spirit... Never mind, we need to keep moving and leave this place.

What that means is taht we no longer have that decreased strength. Now we can continue exploring the barrow.
28.jpg

We'll go to the snowy are first.
29.jpg

This autistic elemental starts moving towards us and engages us in conversation.
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg

33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg

36.jpg
37.jpg

Now this has got to be some kind of Fallout reference. The word Master being thrown around so much and the Orglash being talked into killing itself is proof.
38.jpg

We find a pouch, which normally would be the key to getting out of here. But we're smarter than that - almost as smart as the jews, concerning this game. Let's explore that south-west cave now and enter some Imaskari ruins. A cool part of the game is that even the loading screens provide some kind of interesting exposition.
39.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
These ruins are no doubt Imaskari in origin. This hill was a city in eons past.
40.jpg

So we find a sort of disused golem workshop in the ruins. The three golems on the right are useless, but the one on the left still looks salvageable.
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg

When Safiya hears of magic she goes into an orgasmic frenzy. But, I mean, who would expect a barbarian to know about golemcraft?
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg

In the only other room in these ruins I found some hellfire powder that I forgot to mention. We also found a rod on one of the statues that looks useful, but that will only come into play later, in an amusing way.
47.jpg

Now that golem is super-powered and can help us clean these ruins out. There's another set of ruins here, but there's nothing of worth inside except for a few scrolls.
53.jpg

Now, it seems that there's been some kind of inconvenient landslide on the cave that leads out. The spirits have placed some kind of magical runes on it too, so I can't use my retard strength to move it. Let's dialogue our way out of it:
48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg

51.jpg
52.jpg

That pouch we found is, normally, the way out of here. You would place it in the offering chest in this room and the doorway would open up for you. However, using that Imaskari rod we found earlier to force the boulders will be better, and you'll soon find out why.
54.jpg

If you're wondering why I still have a strength decrease, it's because I got diseased by one of the enemies in the ruins I explored. I rested about 12 times and it still didn't go away. I'll use a healer's kit when I get one. This barrier stands in my way, though. Not for long.
55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg

58.jpg

Well it turns out that there was some kind of lich contained in that rod which I just broke.
59.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg

Hey, hey, hey! I'm a barbarian, not a thief! This lich is a funny guy, though.
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg

You just KNOW that it won't be standing. So he vanishes, and we're left with some more of the barrow to explore. There's really nothing else of value left to find here, at this point, but I'll whack the monsters for the exp anyway.

65.jpg

Safiya icing some goons.
66.jpg

Safiya sniping some spirits.
67.jpg

Safiya HEARING THE VOICES THAT DRIVE HER TO ARSON AGAIN!
68.jpg
69.jpg

Safiya level up.
70.jpg

Now we finally reach something slightly more exciting, our first encounter with Okku, the bear god.
71.jpg

72.jpg

The diplomacy check here is one of a few in the game that aren't really checks - its just [Diplomacy] written in the text file, so it's impossible to succeed. It's meant to show just how strong Okku's resolve is in the situation. He's encountered our "kind" before and he knows how to deal with me.
73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

She's got a way with making insults relevant to her setting and profession. BURN!
77.jpg

Let the fight begin!

78.jpg

Eat sun!

79.jpg

There's a reason I loaded Safiya up with so many disintegrate spells. They're pretty mush the most damaging thing she can do to an individual foe, and Okku seems pretty integral.

80.jpg

And so he is defeated. We'll be seeing him again soon, though. Now let's clean up these spirit-beavers and collect out phat essence lewt. There's also a really good axe hidden in a chest behind his skeleton there.

81.jpg

Here's a scenic look to help kill your bandwidth.

And so ends this pilot episode of the MotB show! Next stop, Mulsantir!
82.jpg

Fezzik

Cipher
I like this LP a lot so far. Including the music in the beginning really set the mood. Keep it up.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Our main character is an elven tranny named Butch. Kingcomrade is her last name, so that we may be blessed by the gods! She doesn't believe in gods, by the way, which'll give her a special interest in a certain part of the storyline. Chaotic Evil is how she rolls, and her bling is her Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker costume. Yes, an elf barbarian. The game we'll play won't be vanilla, in that Butch has had her conversational skills h4xed to 44 and her attributes boosted to 20. This is because combat is the worst part of the game and dialogue and skill/stat checks in dialogues are the most important - the easier the combat and the more dialogue choices, the better.
I also use a trainer to raise all my dialogue stats in PS:T and Fallout... arsehole.

Phelot

Arcane
Thanks for this. I've been wondering what's so wonderful about this expansion pack considering how boring the original game is. Let's see if you prove the good hype right...

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Excellent. Looking forward to this, especially if you're going the evil path.

But wtf are you talking about here?
combat is the worst part of the game and dialogue and skill/stat checks in dialogues are the most important - the easier the combat and the more dialogue choices, the better.

Some of the fights in this game are among the most challenging I've seen in years in a RPG.
But of course, if you go with some insanely minmaxed character, it can be easy.
My first time was with a plain wizard, some early fights were very difficult with 2 casters and no tank.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
and her bling is her Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker costume. Yes, an elf barbarian.
Only fools play fighters in DnD games.

The game we'll play won't be vanilla, in that Butch has had her conversational skills h4xed to 44 and her attributes boosted to 20.
pussy

Reject_666_6

Arcane
It was either that or a Warlock to get the Lore, Spellcraft, Bluff, UMD and Charisma checks, and I'm tired of playing Warlocks.

EDIT: :smug:

Erebus

Arcane
One of Many is a rogue when he joins you... which makes him bloody awful, because single-classed rogues are even less useful in MotB than they were in NWN 2 OC. But he can become a barbarian or a warlock later.

Since your character is Chaotic Evil (and what else could s/he be, considering his/her last name ?), I suppose you'll be taking the Evil path with the glorious goal of becoming an all-destroying abomination ?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Erebus said:
Since your character is Chaotic Evil (and what else could s/he be, considering his/her last name ?), I suppose you'll be taking the Evil path with the glorious goal of becoming an all-destroying abomination ?

I'll let you guys vote before each important decision.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
There is nothing to vote about. You already went the cheater pussy road, now man the fuck up and go all-devouring and max. craving. Otherwise I have to assume that you're scared by the moronometer.

edit : or did you disable that too?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
VentilatorOfDoom said:
There is nothing to vote about. You already went the cheater pussy road, now man the fuck up and go all-devouring and max. craving. Otherwise I have to assume that you're scared by the moronometer.

I remember a time when people ironmaned their RPG. But they were frigging elitists. Real men cheat. That's cooler.

I'm just surprised he didn't make a good drow ranger with a blade in each hand.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Ogg said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

I remember a time when people ironmaned their RPG. But they were frigging elitists. Real men cheat. That's cooler.

I'm just surprised he didn't make a good drow ranger with a blade in each hand.

I luv u Drizzt :oops:

ps: I liked it in BG2 you could kill Drizzt, I always kill him

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Wow, you two are morons. In what way does it affect you, two guys reading screenshots of dialogue, what the character build of who's speaking is? Is "[Lore] Those tattoos and your red robes... they mark you for a Red Wizard of Thay." somehow different when spoken by a Warlock with 9999 strength than when spoken by an average Monk?

The most ridiculous part is that you're assuming that I'm incapable of playing the game normally. I've completed the game twice already with a Wizard and a Rogue/Assassin. It was challenging, because of the limited resting for the Wizard and the constant immunities to sneak-attacks for the Rogue, but I went through. I've also almost gone through with three other playthroughs, which were stopped by a game-breaking bug (my character always gets attacked by some invisible object for 0 damage wherever I go, so they're always "exerted" and can't rest or talk to anybody - that's why I started saving regularly and in different slots for this LP).

I've gone through combat enough times already, it's no longer exciting or challenging for me. I'm not saying that anybody should seriously play the game for the first time with a hacked character, but what the hell is wrong with doing it on your n-th playthrough?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Update 1.5 - Backstory and the Gates

Before we enter Mulsantir, there's a small area just outside the gates which we can explore. With this occasion I'll also bring those who haven't played the original game (lucky people) up to speed on the story so far.

The King of Shadows™ was coming back to destroy the world and we were the only ones who could stop him. As the Chosen One™, you, the unsuspecting player, had to gather a bunch of rowdy companions and defeat this evil foe! After you managed to defeat this evil foe, all hell breaks loose and all your companions all get crushed by the collapsing fortress. Well, almost... But you, for some reason, wake up here, in Rashemen. That's basically it - your motivation is WTF am I doing here?

Now, onwards to the game at hand. Here's a short piece from the Sloop in town to listen to during this short trip.

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
I've brought you here to speak with Lienna - she'll hopefully know what happened to you in the barrow - and why.
You've mentioned Lienna before. Who is she?
th_safiya.jpg
Lienna is an associate of my mother... or so I've gathered. I've never met her, or even heard of her, until I was tasked to bring you to her.
Perhaps she'll be able to satisfy your curiosity, as well as mine.
th_safiya.jpg
Whoever Lienna is, we'll soon find out what she knows. Though I did send a pair of servants ahead to find her... and they have yet to return...

86.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
Homunculi - sentient creatures crafted by my magics.
Sort of like me - only they're not as smart. Or good looking.

Kaji is like that Froederick bat from A Vampyre Story.

th_safiya.jpg
Much like Kaji, only these were more primitive creations. It would not surprise me if they got lost on the way.
87.jpg

88.jpg

I laugh at this joke.

th_safiya.jpg
But this is my first encounter with these lands - what little I know is based on rumours of crazed barbarians and the masked witches that rule them.

Hey bitch, I resent that!

[Lore] I recall hearing that Rashemen has been invaded several times by Thayan wizards...
th_safiya.jpg
[Influence Gain: Safiya] I'm surprised... I didn't think you'd be versed in the local history. While we're here, it's best I don't show off my robes.
89.jpg

KAJI ASS ATTACK! OH GOD ITS HEAVAN!

th_safiya.jpg
I can take care of myself, thank you very- I mean, thank you. Very few people ever concern themselves with my well being. Should the locals grow hostile on account of my markings, their fear of Red Wizards will prove entirely justified. Was there something else?
I need to know what really happened back in the barrow...
th_safiya.jpg
Hopefully Lienna can answer that. I was instructed by my mother to retrieve you - she told me little else.
90.jpg

She created me through the miracle of childbirth! Or... did she?

91.jpg

Why hasn't your mother contacted you with more information yet?
th_safiya.jpg
She has her hands full at the moment. There was a matter of unrest at the Academy. Red Wizards don't always get along. She'll contact me when... she can. Now, if there's nothing else, I think we should go and find Lienna.
92.jpg

th_safiya.jpg
I think I... I think I need to avoid spirit-infested barrows. The chatter of the dead... isn't meant for mortal ears. Let's just keep moving.
Are you sure there's nothing more to it than that?
93.jpg

We get it already! You want to dress up! Ok!

Now let's loot the corpse of our dead friend here and start exploring the landscape. His role was just that of a melee fighter in case your player character was a magic-user, since Safiya is one as well. There are only five companions in the game and two of them are mutually exclusive, so the game uses some intelligent design (OMG it's true!) to fill up the likely empty roles. One of Many is a fine example of this design: he can switch classes so you can have a more balanced party, if you want.
94.jpg

Throughout the game there are small hidden item containers, like these dirt mounds here.
95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

Now let's speak with the leader of this unfortunate band of simpletons.
98.jpg

99.jpg
100.jpg
101.jpg

102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg

He must have some kind of hidden agenda.

105.jpg
106.jpg
107.jpg

Unlike the heavily stripped-down and buggy KOTOR 2, Mask of the Betrayer doesn't have any major removed content, except for one quest that involves the two rival theatres of Mulsantir: The Veil and The Sloop. Shelvedar here is hinting at this quest, however it wasn't included in the finished game for some reason and this rivalry between the theatres isn't really mentioned in the game after this. I'll share some more info regarding this quest when we get to a more relevant part of the game, soon.

108.jpg
109.jpg

You can bluff him into letting you buy and sell stuff to him. You won't find anything too useful in his selection, but you can sell some stuff now if you're too impatient to enter the city.

Speaking of entering the city, that will be left until the next update, which will be of a proper size and shape and colour.
110.jpg

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I remember playing NWN 2 for like 30 minutes, a long time ago, and concluded it was extremely pathetic. The interface, models, animation, quests, overworld, everything was so cheesy and pathetic that I stopped playing it immediately, uninstalled, and concluded that nothing could ever make me want to play this game again. No patches. Nothing.

There is the slight possibility of mods, assuming they change everything about the original game, including camera control and interface.

Has anything changed. Does such a mod exist?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Reject_666_6 said:
Wow, you two are morons. In what way does it affect you, two guys reading screenshots of dialogue, what the character build of who's speaking is? Is "[Lore] Those tattoos and your red robes... they mark you for a Red Wizard of Thay." somehow different when spoken by a Warlock with 9999 strength than when spoken by an average Monk?

The most ridiculous part is that you're assuming that I'm incapable of playing the game normally. I've completed the game twice already with a Wizard and a Rogue/Assassin. It was challenging, because of the limited resting for the Wizard and the constant immunities to sneak-attacks for the Rogue, but I went through. I've also almost gone through with three other playthroughs, which were stopped by a game-breaking bug (my character always gets attacked by some invisible object for 0 damage wherever I go, so they're always "exerted" and can't rest or talk to anybody - that's why I started saving regularly and in different slots for this LP).

I've gone through combat enough times already, it's no longer exciting or challenging for me. I'm not saying that anybody should seriously play the game for the first time with a hacked character, but what the hell is wrong with doing it on your n-th playthrough?
What difference it makes? Well indeed you gave too perfectly good instances (rogue and wizard). Depending on how you play the game, combat can be at least enjoyable (challenging would be, I agree, exaggerated). you're supposed to show us what the game looks like. And surely, combat is a big part of it. I know the writing is the most interesting part of MOTB but having to deal with epic levels, fighting spirits and vampires, or even god-like creatures was somehow a good thing after the OC. It's a RPG, goddammit, not a fucking interactive story!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Reject_666_6 said:
... other playthroughs, which were stopped by a game-breaking bug (my character always gets attacked by some invisible object for 0 damage wherever I go, so they're always "exerted" and can't rest or talk to anybody - that's why I started saving regularly and in different slots for this LP).

The NWN2 Forums were filled with retards that could not comprehend the spirit meter. They ignored it, minimized it and at some point started "taking damage out of nowhere", exactly like you. Coincidence? the 0 damage is weird though. God mode? That must be it.

Wow, you two are morons.

There are strong hints itt that's not we who are morons.

But hey no hard feelings eh? Just go ahead, seeing all speech options certainly won't harm.
Peace.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Ogg said:
I also use a trainer to raise all my dialogue stats in PS:T and Fallout... arsehole.

I can see why you'd do that for an LP but isn't the point of all the dialoguer checks allowing you to really feel like you're roleplaying your char and that the choices you made in char creation mean something? Cheating kind of defeats that it's not like the dialogue options with skill checks are inherently better than the other ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom