Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the betrayer: character creation

Athelas

Arcane
Aren't those just common buffs your companions have? Stoneskin, Haste, Spiderskin and the various cleric prayers? By the way, Gann has a sunlight spell that insta-kills those vampires if they fail their saving throw.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aren't those just common buffs your companions have? Stoneskin, Haste, Spiderskin and the various cleric prayers? By the way, Gann has a sunlight spell that insta-kills those vampires if they fail their saving throw.
Probably they are, I just suck at these kind of RPGs and never played NWN 2.

I just play for the story, but the thing is I can't figure out how the hell the companion AI works - the mages sometimes run into the battle and so on. Sometimes the cleric uses buffs, sometimes not. And the other thing - I got the high level party without knowing the basics of the game, so I suck even more.

I've made some small research and found some mods, which include the upgraded AI and some auto-buff thing. Anyone tried these?

Athelas

Arcane
You should disable the A.I. altogether by selecting puppet mode. Then just select all party members (hotkey it if it isn't already) and attack (give weaker characters ranged weapons), which quickly and easily gets cuts through most mobs. I think Safiya also has a death spell that can easily insta-kill entire mobs.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
You should disable the A.I. altogether by selecting puppet mode. Then just select all party members (hotkey it if it isn't already) and attack (give weaker characters ranged weapons), which quickly and easily gets cuts through most mobs. I think Safiya also has a death spell that can easily insta-kill entire mobs.
Yup, this kind of thing worked in previous battles, but the one with ancient vampires/leeches etc seems more tough.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just manually buffed my characters before combat and then went in to mop the floor with them. (Not counting the times I got obliterated because I wasn't careful enough.) Fire and divine damage works wonders in those fights, from what I remember. I still have nightmares about vampire monks and the like.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you have tony k's AI you can order your companions to cast long/medium/short duration buffs. There's also a mod that lets you cast a bunch of buffs at the same time, but I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head and IIRC it was fairly buggy anyway.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
If you have tony k's AI you can order your companions to cast long/medium/short duration buffs. There's also a mod that lets you cast a bunch of buffs at the same time, but I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head and IIRC it was fairly buggy anyway.
Can I install mods in the middle of the game or I had to do it since the beginning(never bothered with them for any games)?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can install Tony K's AI at anytime (If I am recalling correctly). It is basically THE must have mod when playing NWN2/MotB/SoZ.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Installed the AI mod. In the game some of the category names in AI companion controls became blank. And the game crashed when I tried to rest.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I had the problem with the companion controls with my dvd-version and some resolution mod; it works fine with the GoG-Version, at least for me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Make sure you're using the right version of tony k's AI. There are a few that are for specific patches, you want the most recent one that's for the single player campaigns.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Make sure you're using the right version of tony k's AI. There are a few that are for specific patches, you want the most recent one that's for the single player campaigns.
I think I should forget about using any mods since I play Russian DVD version..it's.."special":negative:

Anyway, what do I do with that shitload of essences?

And how do I open a quickspell menu?

Xor

Arcane
Convert them into bigger essences, craft shit. I never bothered figuring our recipes in game, I always just found a guide. There's one on gamefaqs.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Quickspell menu is opened by pressing the letter "F".

Damn, seems like NWN2 Thieves Guild is dead, a pity, their crafting guide was great.

IIRC converting essences is only possible in Mask of the Betrayer; if you play the OC you have to use a guide like this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/922154-neverwinter-nights-2/faqs/45560

Edit:

Oh, you are playing MotB; just convert them into the "pristine essences" and read the descriptions.

How sensible is evil PC written in MotB? Is there an overarching agenda you can subtly push, or is it the usual fare of being a dick at random and eating souls because "haha, I'm so EVUL"?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
How sensible is evil PC written in MotB? Is there an overarching agenda you can subtly push, or is it the usual fare of being a dick at random and eating souls because "haha, I'm so EVUL"?

It's more about eating souls to become more powerful. I'd say MotB is one of the better games at supporting a properly evil PC - it's definitely worth playing as an evil character at least once.

Xor

Arcane

It's more about eating souls to become more powerful. I'd say MotB is one of the better games at supporting a properly evil PC - it's definitely worth playing as an evil character at least once.
You can also play a character who controls their hunger while still being evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom