Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the betrayer: character creation

Xeon

Augur
I used this site to find a good build to play a summoner, Only played as Fighter/Berserker in all of IE and NWN:OC so it was kinda pretty good.

Edit:
Sorry, mixed the words, not a summoner, a sorcerer.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I used this site to find a good build to play a summoner, Only played as Fighter/Berserker in all of IE and NWN:OC so it was kinda pretty good.
well, probably this is a good site, man, but the problem is - I do not know much about D&D rules, the only game I played a lot was PS: T, and the system there was not too much complicated for me and there were not much variety in classes/races(lol). I expected this to be similar, but when I opened up the character creation menu I felt like I'm totally lost.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
3.5 does that to people. It sucks. If nothing else, you could use this build Jaesun made. Or you could just start with a fighter and wing it from there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can just click on the RECOMMENDED button at level up in the game. I would do that if this is your first D&D game. You then will learn the system as you level up.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
One big advantage to playing a non-spellcaster is you won't get overwhelmed with spells and abilities. I mean, you will get overwhelmed because it's epic level D&D plus Obsidian, as usual, added a ton of (mostly) useless extras. So even a boring old fighter has tons of once-a-day or three-times-a-day abilities from all the loot you get and the special curse abilities and of course your party has a shit-ton of abilities and spells. You'll spend 20 minutes just setting up everyone's spells and abilities, quickslotting all those extra powers you got from that new magic helmet you just donned, and so on. Now add spells to all that if you're playing a spellcaster and you're just about ready to throw your hands in the air in frustration. I actually used that mod that adds extra classes to the game so I could play a Divine Thaumaturge (wizard/cleric hybrid) so, yeah, I had so many spells to keep track of I think I developed a mild case of Asperger's.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
One big advantage to playing a non-spellcaster is you won't get overwhelmed with spells and abilities. I mean, you will get overwhelmed because it's epic level D&D plus Obsidian, as usual, added a ton of (mostly) useless extras. So even a boring old fighter has tons of once-a-day or three-times-a-day abilities from all the loot you get and the special curse abilities and of course your party has a shit-ton of abilities and spells. You'll spend 20 minutes just setting up everyone's spells and abilities, quickslotting all those extra powers you got from that new magic helmet you just donned, and so on. Now add spells to all that if you're playing a spellcaster and you're just about ready to throw your hands in the air in frustration. I actually used that mod that adds extra classes to the game so I could play a Divine Thaumaturge (wizard/cleric hybrid) so, yeah, I had so many spells to keep track of I think I developed a mild case of Asperger's.
This is totally the thing not everyone will enjoy.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Another thing I wanted to ask - is a fighter with a CHA splash (for dialogues) viable?

A fighter is viable, sure, but if you want to do well in dialogues then it's not ideal. To quote myself from 2 pages ago:
Stats aren't that important from a storyfag standpoint - the dialogue options are mostly based on skills. Make sure your character has Diplomacy (that's the most important "talky" skill) as a class skill and keep it maxed - or take the Able Learner feat to turn all skills into "class skills". Lore and Spellcraft are also nice skills to have, i.e. they come up in dialogues fairly often. The classes get a varying amount of skill points, but humans get +1 every level regardless and they also get a bonus feat, so if you're undecided then human is a solid choice for race.

eremita

Savant
Another thing I wanted to ask - is a fighter with a CHA splash (for dialogues) viable?
There are almost no stats based checks (besides wisdom), because majority depends on skills. In this case, diplomacy, intimidation and bluff; with diplomacy being the most useful. As a fighter, diplomacy is not your class skill, therefore you can buy it only at a rate of 1/2 a rank per skill point (for example if Paladin has 20 points in Diploacy, you have 10...). also, it costs you more points (it costs you two points per rank taken) unless you take Able Learner feat.

I recommend you this; take one level of different class (anything with diplomacy as a class skill obviously). It will make every skill of that class your class skill forever (one level is enough, you won't have to take any more levels of that class, therefore you're gonna end up with Fighter lvl 17 and Cleric lvl 1 at the start of the game for example). But those "new" skills still cost you more points however, so the Able Learner feat is a necessity. I made a Ranger/Rogue (Ranger 22, Rogue 8 at the end of the game) build and he was fucking ultimate survivalist. I could do everything in the game by myself. There were no skill or stats checks/traps/locks/enemy types I couldn't handle. I would even solo the game with him, if companions weren't such a great aspect of it.

There is another option though. You could pick Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (grants +3), boost your charisma/diplomacy with gear (there's a Mask of Persuasion early in the game and some better stuff later) and with Gann's influence. It's possible to beat any Diplomacy check with this way, I calculated it. (The highest check in the game is 33, usually it's around 28-30 in the end-game)...

But frankly, if you're playing the game for its story (so you want all the dialogue options etc), there are more suitable classes than Fighter... I know you don't wanna micromanage much, so Rogue/Paladin/Swashbuckler might suit you. Hey, swashbuckler actually seems to be the best choice...

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

A fighter is viable, sure, but if you want to do well in dialogues then it's not ideal. To quote myself from 2 pages ago:
Stats aren't that important from a storyfag standpoint - the dialogue options are mostly based on skills. Make sure your character has Diplomacy (that's the most important "talky" skill) as a class skill and keep it maxed - or take the Able Learner feat to turn all skills into "class skills". Lore and Spellcraft are also nice skills to have, i.e. they come up in dialogues fairly often. The classes get a varying amount of skill points, but humans get +1 every level regardless and they also get a bonus feat, so if you're undecided then human is a solid choice for race.
There are almost no stats based checks (besides wisdom), because majority depends on skills. In this case, diplomacy, intimidation and bluff; with diplomacy being the most useful. As a fighter, diplomacy is not your class skill, therefore you can buy it only at a rate of 1/2 a rank per skill point (for example if Paladin has 20 points in Diploacy, you have 10...). also, it costs you more points (it costs you two points per rank taken) unless you take Able Learner feat.

I recommend you this; take one level of different class (anything with diplomacy as a class skill obviously). It will make every skill of that class your class skill forever (one level is enough, you won't have to take any more levels of that class, therefore you're gonna end up with Fighter lvl 17 and Cleric lvl 1 at the start of the game for example). But those "new" skills still cost you more points however, so the Able Learner feat is a necessity. I made a Ranger/Rogue (Ranger 22, Rogue 8 at the end of the game) build and he was fucking ultimate survivalist. I could do everything in the game by myself. There were no skill or stats checks/traps/locks/enemy types I couldn't handle. I would even solo the game with him, if companions weren't such a great aspect of it.

There is another option though. You could pick Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (grants +3), boost your charisma/diplomacy with gear (there's a Mask of Persuasion early in the game and some better stuff later) and with Gann's influence. It's possible to beat any Diplomacy check with this way, I calculated it. (The highest check in the game is 33, usually it's around 28-30 in the end-game)...
So

I pick fighter as a main class, make a 1 level up for other class which has diplomacy skill and take able learner, so diplomacy also becomes my "class skill".

eremita

Savant

So

I pick fighter as a main class, make a 1 level up for other class which has diplomacy skill and take able learner, so diplomacy also becomes my "class skill".
Yep.

Also, this site might help a lot: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Kinda late to the thread, but I think that a warlock with fey heritage feat line (at least the combo of fey heritage+power+legacy, legacy and presence are more questionable ones, though they still give you +2 dr) and an int of 14 makes for a fine main character. He may not be as killy as any kind of proper caster, but he's a decent skillmonkey (thanks to some of his least invocations and class feats), he's pretty tanky with this build (7-9/cold iron DR at level 18) and he doesn't need rest (which is kinda important in motb). And, eventually, he'll gain epic spells so that gap in killyness won't remain forever.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
So, it begins.
H8h7.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I understand that those epic vampire monks can kick ass, but how can you have serious problems with those if you have a cleric with such superhuman stats in your party? Undeath to Death or - lol - Mass heal will kill them right away. of course, if you don't want to just kill them, but farm them for essences you need a character with very high AC.
I went back to check this tonight and found I don't have my saves. However, I saw some pretty nice builds here, so another roll through this is in order.
Uh, just as a refresher, who was that mega-Cleric? I had red-robe-baldy gal, CN prisoner fellow (druid?), and spirit bear when I fought the vampires last. Maybe I went to them too soon?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
You wanna play a serious game for its serious story... So you make a black guy with blonde mohawk... Really, man?

Nah, his worst sin is that, despite having at least some knowledge of english, he plays it with shitty translation.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
So, it begins.
You wanna play a serious game for its serious story... So you make a black guy with blonde mohawk... Really, man?
I just found the rest of the haircuts even more shitty:obviously: Besides I expect to get some decent helmet soon.

And after all does it even affect anything? Why not being a black dude with a mohawk in a story-based game?

Nah, his worst sin is that, despite having at least some knowledge of english, he plays it with shitty translation.
Man, I have no potatoes to buy a gog version right now and the only option I had - to take NWN2 & NWN2 MOTB CDs from my wife's collection. They're on Russian.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You do not remember the half-celestial chick?
I'll be honest: I can't remember more than five or six npc's from NWN, NWN2, MotB and all the expansions. I can remember 90%+ of them from BG1 and 2, but that's probably due to having beat those games to death with replaying. Now that I think about it, I can't remember ANY NPC names in MotB. Not always a bad thing, as most of the NPC's I do remember from NWN games are because I don't care for them (except Deekin and Bishop.)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I believe there is a way to buff all the party with all the spells at once, am I right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom