Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

Andnjord

Arcane
The trial? That damn trial who just ignores all your hard work and just forces into a freaking duel!? My warlock ass is still tender from that god damn duel. That said everything else about that trial was good indeed, just...not the end of it...

My bard cast invisibility and just hit the guy while he couldn't see me. :smug:

And your conversation choices and historical choices affect the verdict. The duel doesn't matter too much, that's really just something that happens afterwards, though it would be nice to have been able to skip it somehow. I got the dwarf to fight in the duel for me, so there's that.

I had just leveled up and wanted to try new abilities. Oh the hubris...:negative:

And I was playing a biowerean evil (only way for me to enjoy that campaign was to make suffer all those smug bastards), so there was that. As I said the trial was enjoyable, just not the I DEMAND TRIAL BY COMBAT!! part. And I always hate mandatory duels in party based games.

Sothpaw

Learned
And I was playing a biowerean evil (only way for me to enjoy that campaign was to make suffer all those smug bastards), so there was that. As I said the trial was enjoyable, just not the I DEMAND TRIAL BY COMBAT!! part. And I always hate mandatory duels in party based games.

Khelgar the dwarf fighter absolutely shits on the guy you duel, but you probably weren't given that option as an evil character.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And how exactly can you hit him and not break invisibility?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Infinitely more? Skyrim?
Skyrim at least had some sort of political intrigue going and some of the side quests were good enough. NWN2 OC started with "there's a great evil you must destroy" and ended with "all hail the hero that destroyed the great evil!" In other words it was like NWN OC only worse because NWN tried to explain what the hell was going on and why you were supposed to care and NWN2 didn't even bother. It's a great evil because everyone says so, now shut up and start destroying it already.

Mechanically, if we're talking combat, NWN2 and TES5 were both nothing special but story-wise NWN2 was utter shit (the sole exception was the Haven that felt like it belonged to a different, better game) and Skyrim was at least OK.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The Spirit Eater mechanic was mountains of fun, especially if you embraced it. I could only bring myself to do that on one playthrough though; the evil shit you can do in this game is truly despicable.

Indeed, however the best part is that for once you get something out of it, you have an angle. It's much more interesting in terms of roleplaying than "I eat babies for the lulz" moron that evil paths in games usually boil down to.

Sothpaw

Learned
And how exactly can you hit him and not break invisibility?

Good point. He must not have been able to hit me due to curse song and mirror image and whatever other dirty tricks a bard can do.

Black

Arcane
I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.
Are you one of those pro games journos who got buttblasted by a simple mechanic?
No, I just didn't want to play all my characters as Lawful Good paladins so I can ignore this mechanic. When I removed it, MotB became playable. In the end the game was more playable than OC, but not to levels everyone praises it. I enjoyed PST much more for a game less focused on combat.
Played Lawful Evil vindictive bastard many times in MoTB with no problems.
Apply for gaming journalism.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.
Are you one of those pro games journos who got buttblasted by a simple mechanic?
No, I just didn't want to play all my characters as Lawful Good paladins so I can ignore this mechanic. When I removed it, MotB became playable. In the end the game was more playable than OC, but not to levels everyone praises it. I enjoyed PST much more for a game less focused on combat.
Some people enjoy ass rape, it does not mean we all should.

Ivan

Arcane
Visited the Death God's temple. Is itemization important in this game? My guys are always encumbered. Feel like just picking up the potions.

So far so good. Kaeylin is sweet. Fall from Grace vibes.

All casters absolutely want an item that gives +INT/WIS/CHA depending on what their casting stat is. +Saves and +AC (multiple types) is also good for everyone. Stuff that gives immunity to certain spells or effects (e.g. immunity to mind spells) can turn certain encounters from very hard to a cakewalk. Physical classes need a lot more, but casters are pretty simple. Remember that you can also craft a bunch of this through essences.

Also remember that Bags of Holding exist, and with how expensive epic level equipment gets you'll be rolling in cash if you bring most of that stuff back to sell.

Andnjord

Arcane
Kaeylin is cool indeed, one of the better MCA companions :mca:

Wait until you meet your next companion (whichever one you will choose...)

It's a D&D game, so items are always important. You are playing a high level adventure though, so mages and their spells are kings (and you got two of them!). Personally I rolled a scythe wielding bard and pretty much face rolled through most of the combat in melee.

Ivan

Arcane
First tough choice has arisen.

If I consume Okku can I still be a "good" influence on my compas?

Also, for storyfag reasons, is there any way for me to have more than 3 compas at time, or would having more fuck up the dialogues?

Also, spoil me, does eating the bear unlock a different compa?

Edit. fuck it. im gonna go "good" this playthrough and I'm sure that if I end up liking this enuff I'll give an evil one a shot at a future time.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Some people enjoy ass rape, it does not mean we all should.
well, you seem to enjoy lobotomy

Andnjord

Arcane
First tough choice has arisen.

If I consume Okku can I still be a "good" influence on my compas?

Also, for storyfag reasons, is there any way for me to have more than 3 compas at time, or would having more fuck up the dialogues?

Also, spoil me, does eating the bear unlock a different compa?

Edit. fuck it. im gonna go "good" this playthrough and I'm sure that if I end up liking this enuff I'll give an evil one a shot at a future time.

Eating the bear would have given you one of the best companions in recent cRPG memory, but them choices and consequences :negative: Going "good" might be easier on the conscience, but you will miss the most awesome moments this game could have offered you.

Funnily enough I have never managed to bring myself to do an evil playthrough in PS:T while with MoTB I had to force myself strenuously to do a "good" playthrough. The lure of DEVOUR SOUL is just too strong for me.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think companions care if you consume Okku. If you do, you get a companion that can be a rogue, warlock or a barbarian I believe.

edit: There's a mod to increase party size, try google.

Ivan

Arcane
I was stuck at that decision because the bear didn't seem like it would be that interesting. Still, may save that for a future playthrough.

Ivan

Arcane
You don't find a fucking MAGICAL RAINBOW BEAR GOD companion interesting?
FIXED

Is Okku such a badass that he doesn't run? Gonna haste his ass.

Surprised by how quickly Act 1 ended. Hope the others are longer.

Sothpaw

Learned
Skyrim at least had some sort of political intrigue going and some of the side quests were good enough. NWN2 OC started with "there's a great evil you must destroy" and ended with "all hail the hero that destroyed the great evil!" In other words it was like NWN OC only worse because NWN tried to explain what the hell was going on and why you were supposed to care and NWN2 didn't even bother. It's a great evil because everyone says so, now shut up and start destroying it already.

Mechanically, if we're talking combat, NWN2 and TES5 were both nothing special but story-wise NWN2 was utter shit (the sole exception was the Haven that felt like it belonged to a different, better game) and Skyrim was at least OK.

I suppose the story stuff is just a matter of opinion. I personally found the trial and the city watch stuff more interesting than Skyrim but to each his own. Neither game is it be applauded for story either way.

That said, my original comment was that NWN2 OC is not as bad a game as Skyrim. In terms of combat, character progression and itemization NWN2 OC wins I would say. Mostly by default since Skyrim has the most braindead combat possible and doesn't have any itemization to speak of. Plus NWN2 is party based and "isometric" so that is a major bonus for me as well.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Infinitely more? Skyrim?
You missed the entire backstory of the King of Shadows? It covers a great deal of time, and explains why this happens and how it all came to be.

There's also some sort of political intrigue with Luskan and Neverwinter, but it isn't the spotlight.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
aye. the tragic story of Ammon Jero was splendid,
the relations between the various races was tense and for good reason beyond the usual "we hatez elfags", there's the blood war and all kinds of Gith' fun... and other world shaking events happening that are outside of the scope of your quests in the game, but shit be happening! in this world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom