Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

ArchAngel

Arcane

laclongquan

Arcane
You all are ... curiously lacking in inventiveness.The game set a simple limitation, with simple methods to deal with it. There's no need at all to run around trying to find spirit, or using that ability in combat which is a huge bother. Why so hostile to it?

Because muh rollplaying freedum. The same school of thought that brought us gems like "I should be able to do everything with one character, anytime I want" and "Every character should be viable, even the blind fat idiot with glass bones"

gromit

Arcane
You all are ... curiously lacking in inventiveness.
Not this guy, that's pretty fuckin' cool:
I have fond memories of setting up "snack zones" in the Academy by having Safiya Petrify 1-2 enemies at a time so I could come back to them later if my spirit eater bar started dropping and there were no nearby encounters to feast upon.

opium fiend

Augur
Sorry if this has been answered, but would playing a Doomguide or a faithful of Kelemvor offer me a significantly different game experience?

Black

Arcane
Sorry if this has been answered, but would playing a Doomguide or a faithful of Kelemvor offer me a significantly different game experience?
Doomguide came with SoZ, after MOTB, so no, they'd have to go back and modify MOTB.

Tabs

Novice
Playing through the OC right now with a sword'n'board Favored Soul. I usual play Lawful Good but this time decided to go Chaotic Neutral and am enjoying randomly being a selfish dick.

I was hoping that someone could tell me if bringing this character forward into MotB has any impact on the story, or if it's just a stats/gear thing.

Black

Arcane
Is chaotic neutral even a "randomly being a selfish dick"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd just skip the OC and go directly to MotB. While the stronghold mechanic is the best in the history of video games, it isn't worth the hassle of the entire rest of the OC. Boring, stereotypical companions, shitty level design, inconsistent difficulty, run-of-the-mill plot that goes bonkers at the end, villains that cheat the rules of the game for plot railroading etc. Though if you've never played the OC, I suppose it's worth going through it once, at least for the stronghold.

It's a gear/stats thing, because it's assumed by the game that you are the character that went through the OC.

laclongquan

Arcane
Playing through the OC right now with a sword'n'board Favored Soul. I usual play Lawful Good but this time decided to go Chaotic Neutral and am enjoying randomly being a selfish dick.

I was hoping that someone could tell me if bringing this character forward into MotB has any impact on the story, or if it's just a stats/gear thing.

IF I remember correctly, unless you got Kelemvor as patron god, nope, you dont have a damn difference.

eremita

Savant

Unfortunately, the neutral path is almost nonexistent in MotB, just like in majority of RPGs... The only game with well worked-out neutral storyline/choices is (from recent memory) Fallout: New Vegas. (Not only House, but especially Yes Man. And that's not true just for the main quest, you can act neutral for majority of the game.) I don't care if Obsidian fucked PoE up, I'm gonna love them forever because of New Vegas. Almost no game gets the roleplaying aspect right. I'm not exaggerating when I say there's probably not a single type of personality AND class archetype you couldn't roleplay in this game. Maybe Age of Decadence will change this...)

Athelas

Arcane
You can role-play a neutral person who just wants to end the curse for themselves and doesn't care about its wider implications. pretty consistently. Although it doesn't have its own distinct path, but would probably result in a mix of 'good' and 'evil' choices and consequences. The biggest problem of MoTB is that being good by resisting the curse is the easier choice compared to indulging in it, when it should be the opposite.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
You can role-play a neutral person who just wants to end the curse for themselves and doesn't care about its wider implications. pretty consistently. Although it doesn't have its own distinct path, but would probably result in a mix of 'good' and 'evil' choices and consequences. The biggest problem of MoTB is that being good by resisting the curse is the easier choice compared to indulging in it, when it should be the opposite.
Tried that, not very convincing. In other words, it feels exactly like you wrote - mix of good and evil... I'm gonna try a Lawful Neutral character now, "Judge Dredd" style (Either priest of Helm or Kelemvor for the extra flavor). We'll see if the game offers me good lines for supporting existence of the wall in discussions with Kaelyn. If it's convincing, I'm officially declaring superiority of MotB to KOTOR2, because in KOTOR, you can't argue with Kreia for shit (that mentor student relationship is forced upon you) and therefore, everyone should acknowledge it. EVERYONE!

Athelas

Arcane
Tried that, not very convincing. In other words, it feels exactly like you wrote - mix of good and evil...
I placed 'good' and 'evil' between quote marks because most of the choices aren't really between abjectly good and evil. There are a couple that are absurdly over-the-top evil, like
luring all those innocent people into getting eaten by the Uthraki or keeping One-of-Many around
but for the rest an argument can usually be made for both sides.

I'm gonna try a Lawful Neutral character now, "Judge Dredd" style (Either priest of Helm or Kelemvor for the extra flavor). We'll see if the game offers me good lines for supporting existence of the wall in discussions with Kaelyn.
The endgame is (somewhat) different if you disagree with Kaelyn - that is, disagree with her when you're standing in front of the Wall.

Tabs

Novice
Finished MotB with a lawful neutral* monk/druid. I enjoyed it but regret trying to go neutral as I think it didn't really lend itself to the most interesting parts of the story. Already planning my SoZ party.

Ended up betraying the crusade and saving myself at the very end.

* started neutral. Wasn't careful enough and ended up changing to Good through dialogue options. Luckily this was near the end and so I had more than enough druid levels for spellcasting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found the world they put you in less logical than Fo4. Your lvl 20 characters move around the world suddenly filled by super high level barbarians and spellcasters. The simple innkeeper has the power to kick you out of his shanty inn without you being able to do anything, every mercenary is super high level.
"When everyone is special nobody is" - this has been in my brain for too long during playing of this game. You gained your lvl 20 by doing so many shit, beating ancient evil, being a Lord, killing few adult Dragons and many many other stuff. Suddenly you are thrown in an area full of high level everyone without any explanation. Sorry but I don't buy this. If I cannot buy your world, I cannot buy your story or your NPCs.
This is the reason why I don't think this game is good like many here.
I guess RPGCodex does not scale to your level -- except for select games...

Delterius

Arcane
Sorry but I don't buy this. If I cannot buy your world, I cannot buy your story or your NPCs.
Did you buy the gaem tho?
Why does it matter?
images

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I found the world they put you in less logical than Fo4. Your lvl 20 characters move around the world suddenly filled by super high level barbarians and spellcasters. The simple innkeeper has the power to kick you out of his shanty inn without you being able to do anything, every mercenary is super high level.
"When everyone is special nobody is" - this has been in my brain for too long during playing of this game. You gained your lvl 20 by doing so many shit, beating ancient evil, being a Lord, killing few adult Dragons and many many other stuff. Suddenly you are thrown in an area full of high level everyone without any explanation. Sorry but I don't buy this. If I cannot buy your world, I cannot buy your story or your NPCs.
This is the reason why I don't think this game is good like many here.
I guess RPGCodex does not scale to your level -- except for select games...

Well, yeah. MotB is Planescape reborn, it isn't supposed to have sensible system design except for supporting every alignment in terms of choices and reactivity and maintaining a creepy existential atmosphere.

Also mostly that's just D&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom