Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

hiver

yeah, they threw in the academy part in a wrong place and time so it works as if someone just slammed the breaks suddenly.

too much searching for pixels and figuring out how to open the next door and going back and forth, all of a sudden.

Just when the game is starting to really heat up.

Gord

Arcane
What I particularly disliked about the academy was that it killed my already heavily scarred suspension of disbelieve regarding epic level content.
A fucking academy where all the pupils are high-level mages? With epic-level gnoll guards?

Guess if it wasn't for random adventuring parties culling their population every now and then, Thay would have long since conquered Faerun with a bunch of kids from a school.

Epic levels in DnD cRPGs always seem kinda ridiculous once one thinks about it...

hiver

It should have been one of the early areas, yes. And with very few epic level npcs, of course.

Black

Arcane
True, Skein was also pretty dum but the academy manages to be worse due to it having irrelevant and frankly boring puzzles.

Andnjord

Arcane
I remember liking the academy, as Prima Junta says it's quite a relaxing change of pace with all its puzzles. On the other hand: Elite Super Gnolls. Hated them.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
While I agree, that it does kind of feel like slamming on the breaks, I do still love the academy part.

Ivan

Arcane
too much searching for pixelsJust when the game is starting to really heat up.

THIS. The fuckign camera made me miss the door to start the mirror puzzle. The fucking camera made me miss 2 spirits in the depository room. That aside, the payoff is so worth it.

a3769a91e247daf31b06a8d5f30948b1899d8e848fcaf5d295e9e87448adbb50.jpg

csrqSEf.png

xDLZHmK.png

dlcbet0.png
:bravo: you can see echoes of this in Pillars' prayer room

So the evil jerks like Spirit Eater while the rest don't. Noted.

Conveniently ignoring all of the users who said they managed it just fine by using Supress and eventually Eternal Rest, and that the alignment shifts were quickly changed and easily modded out.

The only other actual problem with it was a single bug that would occasionally calculate the time incorrectly when traveling the world map, such that your character would arrive at the gates of Mulsantir dead. I'm not sure, but I believe this was quickly fixed as well.

It's a great game mechanic and once the alignment impacts and the travel bug were fixed, it was no trouble at all to manage unless you truly had no patience whatsoever to deal with it.

SoZ had a similar time calculation bug when traveling the overland map. But it just made you earn insane amounts of money rather than die, so less people complained about it.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have a feeling people who complain about the spirit meter the most are just very bad at playing anything based on D&D and rest spam even more than the typical powergamers. They almost certainly don't make savvy use of spells, only pick nukes and cry when they run out.

The spirit meter was fine if you made some effort to not unload the motherload from your spellcasters during every encounter. It's the only major d&d based game that has a mechanic that finally prevents too much rest spamming, how could it be a bad thing?

Ivan

Arcane
FINISHED
LOL WUT
8ynSDTv.png

GO RAINBOW CUBS GO!
BgG3Ruv.png

you were this game's fall from grace and you will be missed :(
DttnnAE.png

In summation:
Act 1: starts off excellently. lots of intrigue and moody writing sets the tone
Act 2: suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. For every good bit the game slams on the brakes
Act 3: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YAAAAAAAA. IT WAS ALL WORTH IT

Believe the hype. Suffer through the shitty camera, shitty combat, shitty sections (which are thankfully short) for the extraordinary Act 3.

Prime Junta

Yeah you blew the ending. Sell-out.

(Even the less good endings were fucking-a though.)

ArchAngel

Arcane

Conveniently ignoring all of the users who said they managed it just fine by using Supress and eventually Eternal Rest, and that the alignment shifts were quickly changed and easily modded out.

The only other actual problem with it was a single bug that would occasionally calculate the time incorrectly when traveling the world map, such that your character would arrive at the gates of Mulsantir dead. I'm not sure, but I believe this was quickly fixed as well.

It's a great game mechanic and once the alignment impacts and the travel bug were fixed, it was no trouble at all to manage unless you truly had no patience whatsoever to deal with it.

SoZ had a similar time calculation bug when traveling the overland map. But it just made you earn insane amounts of money rather than die, so less people complained about it.
And you ignored that I said I played it at release before it was fixed. Soon after I got the spirit meter away mod and never looked back.
As for D&D part and rest, I agree NWN2 OC was rest spam and it was ruined because of that as the game was designed around that. MotB rest limitation through spirit meter was a bad way to do it as spirit meter was irritating. SoZ rest limitations were best.

And you ignored that I said I played it at release before it was fixed. Soon after I got the spirit meter away mod and never looked back.
As for D&D part and rest, I agree NWN2 OC was rest spam and it was ruined because of that as the game was designed around that. MotB rest limitation through spirit meter was a bad way to do it as spirit meter was irritating. SoZ rest limitations were best.

Just because you played the game before it was fixed then doesn't make your arguments valid now.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Just because you played the game before it was fixed then doesn't make your arguments valid now.
They do for me. Managing spirit was irritating anyways, even with it no longer giving your lawful good points. I just don't care for game mechanics that are this intrusive.

They do for me. Managing spirit was irritating anyways, even with it no longer giving your lawful good points. I just don't care for game mechanics that are this intrusive.

Then enjoy continuing to convince only yourself.

Andkat

Educated
Replay MotB for the true ending.

The one where you
devour your companions, and then cities, civilizations, and gods

and have a romance with OoM-kun

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Let me get this straight: ArchAngel's epic butthurt about the spirit eater mechanic is all from five minutes of playing it in an early build where, in true Obsidian style, it was broken?

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom