Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mars: War Logs - scifi action-RPG from Spiders

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
GameBanshee seems to agree that the game is not worth it, unless You are really easily pleased.

Name

Cipher
Of Orcs And Men (also by Spiders) insists calling the magical repressed memory therapy sequence "mind rape", and insists the actors to repeat the name "mind rape" trice more than necessary, even including a dialogue where two protagonists teasing their allies about this "mind rape". Either they are trying too hard at being juvenile DARK and GRITTY, or they some of them have rediculously twisted rape fantasy that needed to be fulfilled by making it into their games.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I find it very hard to be interested by a game about Mars. The setting is so dull ; you can only have red desert, red mountains, or high tech mechanical station that HAS to look depressing for some reason.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well that's pretty admirable.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/111...glish-re-localization-introduction-video.html

We have re-written the game text and dialog and, of course, recorded the actors again, replacing the sections that weren’t true to the characters in Mars. All these problems will therefore be fixed in the console version. An update is now available for players with the PC game, and we have also incorporated the new audio in the PC versions on the various download sites.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got that in an email from Focus Home. Characters have more diverse accents, but the acting itself is just as bad imho.

anus_pounder

Arcane
While I admire their dedication and effort, the fact is that this is quite simply a (very) bad game. You can't really fix it without making a new game entirely, something they might as well start doing.

EDIT: A bad game that I completed anyway. :oops:

Gambler738

Novice
Hrm. On sale for a little over 13 bucks...is there anything similar in concept or story that is less:popamole:

ortucis

Prophet
I started playing this yesterday. I was avoiding it cause of shitty reviews it got.

But this game is actually fun. Way better than sitting through Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim combined. Fuck the haters. Combat is fun and story is actually good. Sure the graphics could've been a 'bit' better but as far as I am concerned, they are just fine and do the job quite well.

While we're at it, first Mars based game that hasn't been shit (if you want shit, play Red Faction.. fucking retarded setting and characters).

EDIT: BTW the combat is fun because all enemies require different tactics (and usually they throw in different enemies together at you, you have to think fast and pick right tactics during combat). I just wish the game world had more talkable NPC's and more C&C (also, NPC's usually just stand around.. kinda like in JRPG's). I enjoyed Of Orcs and Men so this is a definite improvement.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
the combat is terrible. enemies have no ai and every single encounter is with the same sort of group. character progression is limited to a few basic abilities, and you amount to doing little more than dodge rolling and stunlocking fuckers with a shitty pistol.

ortucis

Prophet
Hm tweaked the visuals with the SweetFX to look sharp and similar to the concept art. Game looks better now.

Still pretty fun game (wish it had more environment interaction). Anyways, most Codexers will be busy jacking off over Skyrim since it's a no.1 game of Codex after Failout 1..

sser

Arcane
Developer
29DFF96E0E86DD051927CD4BF436600BD413D54C

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It was as if millions of feminists suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

flushfire

Augur
Just finished this as well. Almost everything of import has already been said about this game so I'll just leave random impressions for anyone still interested:
-character development is very similar to TW2, you have access to every skill at the start (except the magic tree, which is unlocked by plot) and point allocation mostly adds passive % bonuses. Some do change how the skills work mechanically but are still strictly upgrades, would've been more interesting if they weren't. One thing I liked is that you won't have the points to get everything good.

-there are perks but I can't say anything positive about them simply because you can get most of them by the end of the game and just like skills most just add % bonuses

-looting (from enemies) system is terrible. Well, for a single-player game anyway. It's somewhat MMO-style, you can only get crafting ingredients and what you get is randomized, including your chance to get anything at all. it's also one of the reasons I didn't like the perks, because a couple is tied to looting (increases your chance of getting something)

-crafting is... I'd say there's both good and bad in it. It's good in that it really fits the setting at the start, you're in prison so you make do with what you have. It's also good in that there's a good variety in what you can make, and resources are somewhat scarce (again at the start). What's bad about it is that what you can make is far superior to what you can buy, so crafting isn't really an option, it becomes a necessity (i played at hard, can't say if this is the case in normal). That and resources become trivial after leaving the prison. I guess this is why they didn't tie crafting to skills, but to perks, so everyone gets the ability to make everything eventually.

-on a related note, the game shares one of the biggest flaws of Risen in that the beginning shows promise but everything goes downhill towards the end. It's a bit worse than Risen because instead of the first half being good, here about only the first 1/3 is good. Item variety, enemy variety, amount of combat, quests... hell even the story started turning into a mess not long after leaving the prison.

-combat is I guess a little worse than TW2. The controls seemed a bit more responsive (not sure though, I did play TW2 on a lower-end system) but TW2 had a bit more variety in what you can do. And the AI like mentioned earlier in this thread, does suck. The scripting sometimes becomes very obvious e.g. almost every humanoid enemy will dodge/block 2x then attack after taking 2 hits every. single. time. Anyway at least melee is not as bad as Risen 2's but not as good as Risen 1's. I did like the difficulty though.

-companions aren't the most interesting bunch, a little better than some of DA2's but besides the first one there's not much in the way of dialogue or quests and are nothing more than diversions in combat. I thought a couple banters were funny but that's about it.

-areas aren't the most linear I've seen but they're nowhere near open either. If I had to compare to another game it would be an improvement over Of Orcs and Men, that game had the worst levels I've seen. The first areas were ok, there were some small sections to explore (about as much out-of-the-way exploration there is are just rooms and hidden corners really) and because resources were scarce even getting a few ingredients from some hidden container was ok but like everything they got worse towards the end, emptier and because resources became trivial not too far into the game most routes outside the shortest just amounts to maybe some more enemies or a few more ingredients. There isn't much in the way of elevation and areas are divided into small sections, with some sections locked before getting quests for them. Add to this that the entire map is already visible and interactable NPCs are marked in it, after the prison there's really no point in going anywhere besides areas involved in quests.

-not sure how much the alignment system affects besides a couple perks, there were some parts in the narration where I think it would've made a difference but idk

-quests are okay. There are quests with multiple solutions and multiple outcomes, and some do seem to have an effect on succeeding chapters. NPC reactions, dialogue, availability of sidequests, that kinda stuff.

-there is C&C... although don't expect anything on the level of MOTB, it's more like... somewhere above DA2 but I guess that's not saying much. Some changes in narration, companions die, unlock a couple perks (tied to alignment), things like that. And oh, I'm betting the devs really liked TW2 because there's a similar fork in the game which gives you different companions and I think a different main quest objective (not sure, didn't try the choice all the way).

-game is short, which would be ok if it maintained it's initial quality, sadly this is not the case

-lastly, in a lot of areas after the prison ENEMIES FUCKING RESPAWN, would've been tolerable if different ones appeared but no, the same fucking enemies do, it is rage inducing

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is currently on Steam sale - 2.99 Euro.

I liked the game. Think it manages to pull off all that it wants without overstaying its welcome. Didn't think it was all that janky either; Didn't encounter any bugs and the combat animations are actually decent enough for the battle system. Overall, a solid and short experience I can recommend. Certainly enjoyed it more than I did GreedFall. Also two-thirds into the story the game drops a "cute but not all there in the head" toygirl into your lap who you could kill, fuck, or straight up insult her appearance. Always fun.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I also gave this a spin during the lockdown and overall it's a thumbs up for me. Obviously this is not 100 million dollar open world Witcher so coming into this with properly tuned expectation is the key to enjoyment. But in the very least it was a breath of fresh air in the climate of modern American RPGs increasingly reeking of estrogen, vegan farts an insufferable urban hipsterism (Andromeda, Pillars 2, Outer Worlds etc). Looking forward to Technomancer and Greedfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom