Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mars: War Logs - scifi action-RPG from Spiders

BobtheTree

Savant
I swear, the gameplay looks exactly like Witcher 2.

I swear, the gameplay looks exactly like Witcher 2.

Seems very similar really.

Plenty of rollin around, but parry is more usefull than in TW2.
You also have several types of powers and gadgets to use.

Overall seems fun enough, and it's not even 3gb.

poetic codex

Augur
I bought it and played for a few minutes and my initial impression is very good.

The game has a distinct foreboding alien atmosphere on Mars which I quite like. The combat is similar to Of Orcs and Men and Game of thrones. This is basically the modern iteration of real time with pause combat (like how X:com enemy unknown has the modern iteration of turn-based combat.) You can slow down the game at any moment and plan your next move so I expect it will become quite tactical at the higher levels.

Voice acting varies, and ranges from acceptable to painfully bad.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with what I experienced so far. Surprised I never even heard of this game until today.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Doesn't seem too bad to me yet. Combat is alright and the story might become interesting.

pocahaunted

Arcane
This caught my eye, but the combat seems ludicrously bad. Also, while the setting is somewhat interesting, I'm afraid the plot appears to be fairly shitty.

More thoughts from those who played this?

Eyeball

Arcane
Just got this, against my better judgement. I will be back to tell you all how shit it is presently.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, it's pretty fucking shit. May turn out to be enjoyable fucking shit like Skyrim, though. Not decided yet.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is a mixed bag. Not really groundbreaking, but it is a small breeze of incline. Meaning that it is a step in the right direction.

The design borrows extensively from Witcher 2 - Gothic - Bioshock - Riddick - Dragon Age - Mass Effect - Alpha Protocol - Bloodlines.

Someone would expect something "great" which such a pedigree, but the game doesn't really capitalize on anything. And because I did not finish it, I cannot say if the end is worth the effort.

The only annoying thing until now is the filler combat: is simply too much. And the combat in itself is nothing spectacular, therefore it can be frustrating sometimes.

But one major good thing about this game is that it was developed for PC as the main platform. The graphics are not outstanding, but the UI made me realize how much I miss a responsive non-consolized UI.

I don't want to spoil it to anyone, therefore I would only say that is a decent game handicapped by the huge amount of filler combat. You might enjoy it, if you can stomach a big pile of shitty combat.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
How's the choice and consequence in the game? I seem to recall that was a big focus point for the devs when they initially announced it.

joindate, etc

Oh, my apologies. I forgot. Even though I've only played half an hour and can't really effectively judge the game based on what I've seen yet, I should just hate the game because it's new.

Yeah, fuck this game. It's shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How's the choice and consequence in the game? I seem to recall that was a big focus point for the devs when they initially announced it.

There are consequences inside the chapters, but unfortunately I think it suffers from The Witcher 2 C&C syndrome: nothing survives from a chapter to another.

Don't read the spoiler if you did not finish the first chapter (escape)!

For example, in the first chapter I did some side-quests in order to save two guys. I was expecting to have them with me on the train escape and maybe further, but just before the escape, both of them died in really stupid ways.

So I guess, there is C&C inside the chapters, but everything is wrapped up tightly just before the end of the chapters.

Personally I'm not a fan of such C&C, but local fauna loves it mostly because it was implemented in The Witcher 2. But I did no finish the game, therefore there is a big chance I'm wrong.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
A friend of mine bought it and I tried it out today for two hours or so. Didn't even finish Chapter 1 but some impressions:
  • Controls feel little unresponsive and/or loose.
  • Voice actors range between forgettable and awful.
  • Combat isn't very fun or engaging.
  • Animations are pretty poor.
  • Writing wasn't anything spectacular but neither was it cringe worthy.
Felt like KotOR, to be honest.
But the setting is definitely interesting and hopefully the plot would pick up in later chapters.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyone know of a way to increase the FoV? Sometimes it's annoying how closely the camera follows the protagonist.

A friend of mine bought it and I tried it out today for two hours or so. Didn't even finish Chapter 1 but some impressions:
  • Controls feel little unresponsive and/or loose.
  • Voice actors range between forgettable and awful.
  • Combat isn't very fun or engaging.
  • Animations are pretty poor.
  • Writing wasn't anything spectacular but neither was it cringe worthy.
Felt like KotOR, to be honest.
But the setting is definitely interesting and hopefully the plot would pick up in later chapters.

For a title that I didn't know anything before not removing from inventory is quite fun.

Combat and RPG part is basicallly Witcher 2. Including + and -.
Basically, quite good for a surprise game. Should get positive potato for not being a hyped piece of shit.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Meh, too witchery for my taste, though I do like their art:
mars-4.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
How's the writing? Since IIRC it was Cyanide who did the writing for Game of Thrones and Of orcs and men, not Spiders.

mars-4.png
news281-megalexT3(couv).jpg

Obvious inspiration for Frenchie devs

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How's the writing? Since IIRC it was Cyanide who did the writing for Game of Thrones and Of orcs and men, not Spiders.

mars-4.png
news281-megalexT3(couv).jpg

Obvious inspiration for Frenchie devs

Yeah, between that and Les Metas barons, there is a lot of good stuff to take from Jodorowsky :love:

caste_metabarons_4_original.jpg

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I just finished the first act. I agree, the combat is pretty tedious and boring. Especially seeing the solution to every encounter seems to be carrying copious amounts of ammo and just shooting everything and everyone. I'm not sure if I want to continue playing, tbh. The setting is alright, but the story shows only small hints of potential.

Anyone know roughly how long it is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom