Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Mark Yohalem joins the Torment: Tides of Numenera writing team

buzz

Arcane
I always consider it a good sign when a writer or designer starts talking how there will always be someone who doesnt like it, or who will be disappointed, and how there is always someone with a tar - before he even started writing anything.
It's called modesty.

Anyway, MRY is right. Though I'll add one other cynical aspect he didn't cover: some (a huge and vociferous) part will be disappointed because they want to be disappointed, for obscure reasons.

Too many people on the Internet do criticisms without frames of reference, without research. Either because they're comparing something new to something old that they don't remember really well (see: all the future Torment critics who haven't played PT in many years or a decade), or to something they haven't experienced (see a huge majority of Wasteland 2 critics who never played Wasteland 1). Their criticism will usually sit in a bubble, comparing Tides of Numenera with a perfect game in their heads, where every choice has a logical consequence, every battle is a handcrafted tactical masterpiece, there's no filler anything and it's endlessly replayable.

I wish I had advice on how to deal with these kind of people, but I don't. Ignoring them, you might miss some actually insightful criticism. Enabling them, and you'll only have them nitpick about other things.

hiver

Im doing my criticism based on what is in the game or work i am criticizing.

W2 isnt any better because someone will compare it to W1. It was never meant to be a carbon copy and it wasnt marketed that way either.
Stupid shit is always stupid shit by itself.

Fuck the excuses logic. Especially if its based on the desire to just enjoy something without connection to sanity, logic or reason.

-
and there is no reason to voice your opinion like that, beating around the bush.
It wont make such non-logic seem any better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom