Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mark of the Ninja - a 2D stealth platformer - Remastered!

Machocruz

Arcane
4167392134_1911133907.jpg

Superior art style

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I just started New Game+ campaign, and I have to say that ghosting is more gratifying than on normal level, with all the penalties the game puts on you. I love the Ninja armour that mutes your footsetps while running - it totally changes dynamics of the game.

Storywise, I also liked the bitter twist at the end. It was not unpredictable though quite well executed. I only wish that the ending was influenced by your playstyle throughout the game (mass-muderer vs. stealth) - it would fit the context perfectly.

Yeah, I totally saw the twist coming, but it was still awesome. Stood there for a few minutes weighing up which choice to make.

Oh, I finally unlocked the last ninja suit. It's pretty amazing. Leaving dead bodies around terrifies anyone who sees them. It becomes pretty useful in some situations.

circ

Arcane
Uninstalled. Was an interesting game though. Was going to go with NG too, although I didn't see the point. At first I just stealthed through maps quickly, but then went back to the first two for 100%, which had me lose my progress and had to do a bunch of other fully completed ones again. Anyway, you get considerably more points for killing, instead of the other way around, provided you bother with the occasional distract/undetect/hide body/terror. Used smoke bombs twice, in places where there really was no other choice. Never used flare, and spike trap just once to get max points for one thing. Maybe I should have bothered with smoke a little more because FUCKING LASERS, but fuck it. Missed one fucking scroll in a trap hell level what is this shit, and fuck if I'm going through that shit again, even though I no longer had to get achievements. So you can't see behind, or soundwaves and some other things, so? NG doesn't jiggle my balls that much. Could have maybe thrown in the odd new objective, considering I stuck to ninja regular suit throughout the game.

circ

Arcane
Ok fanbois. I re-installed. Played through it again. Had to take final level 3 times before the movie levels because the first time I fucked up because I didn't know the soldiers were the hallucinations you were supposed to kill, I just terror killed everything. Second time I got a suboptimal score so only 8 honor again, because I skipped a bunch of score opportunities - just getting the kill 3 hallucinations in 15 seconds, so did a third and maxed everything again. In the end it didn't matter, because all you needed was 8 honor or maybe even 7 would have been enough - to max skills.

Started NG+, did a terror suit guy and it was ridiculous, even though you got insta killed when someone shot you, so you had to watch the fuck out when you sneak kill someones buddy and he goes insane and shoots you dead. So for a challenge, now running through with stealth suit. Well it's the same game pretty much, a little trickier even with parachute upgrade, but whatever. A little more variety would have gone a long way. But seriously, you can't see behind anymore, and some, not all, soundwaves are gone? Um, not a big deal at all.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice graphics/ minimalistic art style.
Smooth gameplay, when you can slay your way silently through the levels, or just do ghosting. I always ended having mixed playthrough, but maybe next time...
Enemies can fear you, if you drag the bodies on lanterns. This is a territory to expand.
Hidden locations with tons of lasers and traps - just beautiful work. Trying to figure them out was a great fun.

Overall - stealth platformer that it's totally opposite to Shank.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Enemies can fear you, if you drag the bodies on lanterns. This is a territory to expand.

My favourite fear source was throwing dead bodies at people. And I discovered that one completely by accident :thumbsup:

Just wish the game had a challenge mode or something similar to it in addition to the story. You can pull off some real smooth chainkills using distractions, traps, items, bait and your awesome mobility - the kind which you love stealth games for - but none of it is really ever needed though, which is a little disappointing.

Vibalist

Arcane
Awesome little game. And I actually didn't even see the twist coming at the end, which made it even better. Everyone should buy this so the developers can deliver more.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice game, got if off Kony Island,

Well I do understand the problems with art style (makes me skip movies instantly) but as for the regular gameplay it's not that bad - Shinobi is a bit of a different game so while one can compare gfx, it kind of ends there. I'm also a fan of Barbarian but it doesn't stop me from having fun with this one, and a game where stealth is properly rewarded - not many of those out there.

Multiple solutions to problems, makes you discover new things adding to replay value, and basically proper fun from challenge.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

Completed this, and as expected, you can add it to the list of Roguey-approved flexible-puzzle games. Not gonna bother with new game plus since lack of feedback would make it unenjoyable for me. :cool: lol @ the scrublords on the first page who struggled with the controls and the jerks who can't handle stylized graphics.

My only problems were the quick-reflex laser junk (Stealth Bastard this is not), and an issue that can apply to pretty much every single stealth game: AI doesn't react to patrols being disrupted. Maybe one day some developer will put in all that work, creating stealth gameplay that encourages quickly and flawlessly executing a plan, but without making it mandatory.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i'm probably OCD but this game has DE:HR stealth syndrome the other way around. When i played this i found myself doing silly stuff like getting the pass undetected bonus, then the distraction bonus, then the takedown bonus, then the hiding body bonus, then i uninstalled in the last mission and never saw the end and i don't care.

fucking pavlov game design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The point thresholds are there to encourage you to mix up your playstyle and do wackier things, but yeah, that path also lies degeneracy.

The only degenerate thing I did was drag bodies to nearby hiding places. Ended up getting the three seals on all the levels without particularly trying.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The critically acclaimed stealth platformer is back and slicker than ever. Mark of the Ninja: Remastered will feature fully redone 4K visuals for both gameplay and cutscenes along with enhanced audio and new particle effects. It will also include the Mark of the Ninja Special Edition expansion content and be released for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Steam.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Steam's hardware survey says hardly anyone even has a 4k monitor so they're not getting much out of this.

Ocelot

Learned
More details coming, but we are working out reward paths for existing players depending on if they own the regular game VS also owning the special edition (the remastered version included both). Stay tuned for details

Translation: pay up, sucker.

Steam's hardware survey says hardly anyone even has a 4k monitor so they're not getting much out of this.

They just want extra revenue out of an old but good game. It's a shame because Mark of the Ninja is a great game and could easily have a sequel both story and gameplay-wise.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Remaster will be released in October 9th.

It's free if you own Special Edition of the original game. If you only own the base game you should pay $5 (which was the list price of Special Edition DLC) to get it:

In Mark of the Ninja, you'll know what it is to truly be a ninja. You must be silent, agile and clever to outwit your opponents in a world of gorgeous scenery and flowing animation. Marked with cursed tattoos giving you heightened senses, every situation presents you with options. Will you be an unknown, invisible ghost, or a brutal, silent assassin?

Upgrade new tools and techniques that suit your playstyle and complete optional objectives to unlock entirely new ways to approach the game. Finish the main story to unlock a New Game Plus mode with even more options and challenges.

Mark-of-the-Ninja-Tall-Marketing-Features_(1).jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Easily my favorite stealth game of the decade. Probably my favorite stealth game since Thief. Also easily my favorite game to ghost.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Easily one my favorite games of the decade. Probably my favorite stealth game since Thief. Also easily my favorite game to ghost.

I'm not a stealth game fan at all and I really enjoyed this game. I don't care about this remaster though. May be good if you've never played the game before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom