Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy March of the Eagles

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not very interested in the period (only big powers are really playable) and the game doesnt look very good either way since Paradox had to step in a bit late. Also not sure if the engine can handle this type of game, screens dont look very promising.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Only Jews and Republicans are stingy over a few bucks who gives a shit. This will hold me off until EU4, and what the fuck is there until then? Oh, right, nothing!

oscar

Arcane
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical that the engine will be able interestingly depict Napoleonic warfare. Having Waterloo or Austerlitz just be two stacks ticking away at each other for a month on some big province doesn't quite cut it. If they're going to make a game focused on warfare (while cutting out economics and the like) then they need something like the Hearts of Iron system to make the combat more interesting and complex.

I'll probably buy it in a sale. Can't really go wrong helping to fill Paradox's coffers.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical that the engine will be able interestingly depict Napoleonic warfare. Having Waterloo or Austerlitz just be two stacks ticking away at each other for a month on some big province doesn't quite cut it. If they're going to make a game focused on warfare (while cutting out economics and the like) then they need something like the Hearts of Iron system to make the combat more interesting and complex.

I'll probably buy it in a sale. Can't really go wrong helping to fill Paradox's coffers.

I agree, Clausewitz is not really suited for pitched-battles wargaming. Not that great for maneuver 20th century warfare, but serviceable. I still remember some six-months long battle in Victoria II around India, with casualties easily approaching the million.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I agree, Clausewitz is not really suited for pitched-battles wargaming. Not that great for maneuver 20th century warfare, but serviceable. I still remember some six-months long battle in Victoria II around India, with casualties easily approaching the million.

So like WWI battles. Thats fine. Clausewitz works fine for periods where armies were small or for periods where armies were huge and moved in frontlines. It breaks when armies were not so huge and grouped since then its stack vs stack. Not Austerlitz at all.

asongforsimeon

Educated

So like WWI battles. Thats fine. Clausewitz works fine for periods where armies were small or for periods where armies were huge and moved in frontlines. It breaks when armies were not so huge and grouped since then its stack vs stack. Not Austerlitz at all.

Well, you could abstract that as a kind of Somme-like battle, with various engagments over the course of months against a fortified line, but the game doesn't represent this: in the battle view there are two commanders and two lines of brigades with artillery in the rear, firing at each other in phases for half a year until one side run out of morale, just like a immensely protracted pitched battle fought on a enormous flat battlefield like a moon sea. HoI3 obviously got better in this regard, but still not ideal.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seeing how big provinces are I think that it represents exactly that - plains changed into trenches and long massive battles waging over them. Even if the graphic representation is two lines of units. Note that they get bonuses from machines guns or gas and shocktroopers so its more than just a pitched battle.

Seems like someone forced EUIV to breed with a wargame and produce this. It ain't bad but it ain't good either. Painfully average and tastes like a tech demo for EUIV.

Will buy when it drops to 10 euros.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wars were never that fun by themselves in any Paradox game, so I'll hold off for impressions. I suspect I'd prefer to wait for EU4.

asongforsimeon

Educated
good lord, so many jew-minded folks. It's a good game and it's only 20€. In my opinion, superior to AGEOD take on the nappy age.

Need more impressions. I'm a Pdox whore, but I'm also a tight-fisted jew. Is it decent fun? Honestly, as much as I was "meh" about Sengoku, I still don't regret the purchase if it'll help hold me over until EU4.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Need more impressions. I'm a Pdox whore, but I'm also a tight-fisted jew. Is it decent fun? Honestly, as much as I was "meh" about Sengoku, I still don't regret the purchase if it'll help hold me over until EU4.

Sengoku was a field test for some CKII features, pure and simple. MOTE is his own game, not as big as paradox heavyweights, but with a distinct personality.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also this one covers the period that wasnt ever specifically covered - all previous EU games even if they included revolutionary era it was badly represented. Still I have my doubts as mentioned before. Someone do a mini review.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I've been using steam lately to buy support these kind of dead genres(relatively of course) and low budget indie games,but i've been wondering about the steam discounted sales for a while.
If i get this %50 off would it be cut from developers revenue or steams revenue?
Does buying games for the full day 1 price helps the developers or it does it only counts toward sales counts which sends them royalty cut?
I really want to support these kind of bro companies and don't want another troika in my hands.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
good lord, so many jew-minded folks. It's a good game and it's only 20€. In my opinion, superior to AGEOD take on the nappy age.

No,it's not.First this was developed with AGEOD team before the split and the focus on real time instead TB was the reason for it according to forum post from AGEOD.Battle mechanics,army management and the whole region owning mechanic (it is like EU game) are inferior to Rise of Prussia ones.Most annoyances from EU games like starting to attack one province and the enemy starting to retreat to another are here as well.The game just have slapped tiny army management to EU model and call it a day,maybe with tons of patches and modding it can be decent upgrade from Napoleon or RoP ,but I don't think Pardx will focus much on it ,just like Sengoku.

I've been using steam lately to buy support these kind of dead genres(relatively of course) and low budget indie games,but i've been wondering about the steam discounted sales for a while.
If i get this %50 off would it be cut from developers revenue or steams revenue?
Does buying games for the full day 1 price helps the developers or it does it only counts toward sales counts which sends them royalty cut?
I really want to support these kind of bro companies and don't want another troika in my hands.

As far as I know its % based,so if steam gets 30% it's 30% from any price point.BUT my advice is don't be a fanboy,if you don't like some games don't buy them only to show support.That encourage bad development and Pardx is fine example of that, recycling same game 'til death

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
BUT my advice is don't be a fanboy,if you don't like some games don't buy them only to show support.That encourage bad development and Pardx is fine example of that, recycling same game 'til death
I'm not buying every paradox game out there but it seems cheap when i get a game i love for 2-3 $,if you ask my opinion this is why most companies have gone to the dlc and expension pack way.
Making a great engine and making new content every 3 year to sell for 30$ seems fairly wasteful from when you design or improve only engine and adding new content every 6 month for price.
This is why we don't get we don't get well designed games lately,it's really a waste of time to work 4 years on a game lately.
This of course is most obvious in sports games but stratagy games have been starting to get into this trend too.

This just in, apparently March of the Eagles ain't that bad. Played multiplayer with a friend, it really shines there.

If any 'dexers buy it, do tell so we can hook up a couple of inhouse games. I call dibs on automen.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BUT my advice is don't be a fanboy,if you don't like some games don't buy them only to show support.That encourage bad development and Pardx is fine example of that, recycling same game 'til death
I'm not buying every paradox game out there but it seems cheap when i get a game i love for 2-3 $,if you ask my opinion this is why most companies have gone to the dlc and expension pack way.

Yeah, no point in buying every game of a company if some of them suck, but if you really love company's games then it might be a good idea to buy them for the full price to show your support, than to wait for cheap sale (this is when 'casuals' [aka people who don't really give a fuck]) acquire random games that might be good or might not.

So you are right in that.

I buy DLCs on sales though, since they are usually small additions they deserve only small amounts of payment.

potatojohn

Arcane
sxuzBNf.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom