Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Man O' War: Corsair, Warhammer Fantasy naval combat game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...I don't even know what to say anymore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-02-now-theres-a-warhammer-man-o-war-video-game

It seems there are more video games based on Warhammer tabletop games than there are Orks grunting their way throughout the universe. Now there's another one - but this one's based on one of Games Workshop's more obscure efforts.

Man O' War: Corsair is based on Games Workshop's Man O' War tabeltop game, which was a naval battle spin-off from the main Warhammer fantasy series.

Developer Evil Twin Artworks (Victory at Sea) describes Man O' War: Corsair as a "seafaring open-world combat action title". It's due out on Steam as an Early Access title in 2016.

You play as a rogue Captain of the Empire or Champion of Chaos, and navigate your vessel in third-person across the Great Western Ocean. You plunder enemy ships, visit ports (there are over 50), and trade. You can customise your characters, your fleet of sailing vessels, cannons, spells and creatures.

On the bright side, in an infinite number of monkeys licensing an infinite number of GW IPs sort of way, someone is bound to make a Necromunda or Final Liberation 2 game sooner or later.

Dalek

Novice
On the bright side, in an infinite number of monkeys licensing an infinite number of GW IPs sort of way, someone is bound to make a Necromunda or Final Liberation 2 game sooner or later.
Necromunda have much potential, I hope it won't be given to shovelware devs.
Are Evil Twin Artworks any good?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
God damn it. I've wanted a Man o' War game since forever. A game where you actually play Man o' War. What the hell is this supposed to be?

I don't get it. They've got so many properties that are ripe to be turned in to desktop or tablet strategy games, but we keep getting these weird, low budget action things instead. Is it part of their licensing agreements that they can't just do straightforward conversions? Do they think that people who will buy a game based on a GW license don't like strategy games somehow? What is the major malfunction here?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That... kinda came out of the left field, but I can work with it. Are devs even remotely competent or is this just GW licensing all willy-nilly again? Could be worse, I guess. At least they're making a naval game again so they can improve on existing experience.

I don't get it. They've got so many properties that are ripe to be turned in to desktop or tablet strategy games, but we keep getting these weird, low budget action things instead. Is it part of their licensing agreements that they can't just do straightforward conversions? Do they think that people who will buy a game based on a GW license don't like strategy games somehow? What is the major malfunction here?

They're biding their time for some big Age of Skubmar game, surely.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
honor.jpg

pippin

I will only buy this game if Joey deMaio plays a bass solo while Eric Adams yells RAPE THEIR WOMEN AS THEY CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released on Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Why Early Access?
“Man O'War:Corsair is a big game, based on a tabletop game with a loyal loyal fanbase. We are proud to include ourselves in that fanbase. This is a game we want the community to be ultimately proud of and to feel it was made for them. We want people to travel the coast of the Old World, feed back on it and suggest ideas that will improve the scope of content, features, and just about anything else they can think of! With a community driven game behind us we have learned a lot already and met much of the core gameplay targets, but this is still a huge game, that will improve with every constructive criticism. We want the player's help to develop Man O'War: Corsair, and through interaction and iteration with the community, we can create a game everyone wants to play. With your much valued input and contributions, we will take it all the way together! Here there be monsters!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Approximately 4 months, this will allow us to refine the various aspects of the game.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“While we have the foundation of our game at Early Access launch, there are many currently-planned features and content additions we will be adding over EA period. Apart from releasing the planned features below, will be looking to add community ideas into the game, the very reason we want to do Early Access!

Man O’ War: Corsair's planned core features include, among many other things:

• Sea based warfare - Engage in thrilling broadside battles and take command of your captain as you board enemy ships from an on deck perspective!
• Huge game world to explore with over 50 ports
• A huge variety of customisable vessel types and characters
• Trade and fight with other Captains, vessels and ports
• Hire wizards and other magical beasts to do your bidding
• Command allies from different races and fight deadly enemies including -
Orcs, High Elves, Dwarfs, Dark Elves, Skaven, Pirates, Chaos and Sea Monsters
• Travel the huge environment day and night, and in all weathers.
• Campaign Mode where you can play either as a Captain of Bretonnia, the Empire, or Chaos!
• Skirmish mode where you can play as and against different Warhammer races

In addition to game fixes, tweaks, and performance improvements, mega iterative polishing, our support for Man O'War:Corsair won't end with these features, we want this to be the start of something great.........”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Everything described on the full Features List has been developed to a basic playable state or more We still have refinements and tweaks still to do. We are releasing in stages as we want the elements of the game we do release to be right, for the community to feel it's right and then know we can release the next part! We will be updating regularly, releasing new updates every 2 weeks with community feedback additions as well as major sections of the game.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“No the game will be priced the same as on launch. Not including sale discounts.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We want to use community to help us gauge opinion and hone the game based on feedback; to build a strong and loyal group who champion our game and want it to succeed. To do this we will be engaging with the community on the Steam and Man O' War forums. We are fans of the original and we want to make the best game we can, that fans and new comers to the Man O'War will enjoy.”

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
4 months estimated and it is this unpolished? Jesus fuck. I think that carribean Mount and Blade spin-off was better at release than this is now. This feels like a low quality mod.

Quigs

Magister
Shame, too. It's a fun genre. I recommend checking out Uncharted Seas, fun miniatures game with the same premise, minus the grimderp.

Morkar Left

Does somebody know how it compares to e.g. the PotC New Horizons Mod?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:
Does somebody know how it compares to e.g. the PotC New Horizons Mod?
Haven't played that, but I have played the new Sea Dogs game, if that's any worth.

I think ship to ship combat is definitely easier in Man o' War as the UI shows you the trajectory of the cannons, leaving you to to lead the cannon fire correctly, as opposed to the akella pirate games where all you get is a crosshair. Certainly better than the Mount and Blade one, where you get nothing.

Boarding combat involves waiting for the other side to climb your boat, and then some clunky swinging later, you win or lose. The weapon variety is certainly better than Sea Dogs, with a few magic weapons and special loot requiring monster parts to be made etc.
And there are monsters to hunt so that's kinda fun too.

Right now however, the game seems to have some bugs where Orcs go waaghing and fuckhuge hordes of ships appear on the map and you're totally fucked.

Roughly speaking, in my opinion:
Ship Combat: Manowar>PotC Games> Mount and Blade Caribbean.

Foot combat: Caribbean>Manowar>PotC.

Just wait see if these guys are gonna fix the Orc hordes though.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's gud, insta feel of 1986 Pirates, the boarding and fighting is what I would expect if 1986 Pirates! were made today.

Dis gonna be a great game.

AZ9jyRJ.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but does it have a dancing minigame

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom