Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Graphics look good. Everything else looks bad.

Gonna give them some more time to flesh things out, but got some potencial there.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
everything else look bad? you expect Elder Scrolls detailing or what?
No, I'm saying some things show don't please me. Controls seems cluncky, combat looks too simple, map design is weird, UI is bad and that loot screen is just too weird. Again, since this early alpha, gonna give them more time to finish stuff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....not sure man. Even Daggerfall combat felt more fluid than this. The whole left click and watch white lines on animated mobs gets old after 5 minutes, I think.

RK47

Patron
A single character turn first person turn based combat? That would totally be my dream...err.. Night mare come true if anyone bought that for me as a birthday present.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Oh, that is a bit harsh. I don't think turn-based combat necessarily needs a third-person perspective, nor a sizeable party.

Luzur

Good Sir
and here i thought Codex where starving for some modern made oldschool RPG's, but it seesm i was wrong.

well i guess you could always reinstall Oblivion or something, personally i will be grinding this while you do that.

RK47

Patron
*Goes off to play Fallout 3 with unlimited VATS.* :troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Get on with the times BRO, we have Skyrim now. :smug:

And why should I fap to an early alpha game that only showed good graphics?

RK47

Patron
Ok, sorry, maybe I'm too harsh. But really, how do you make this kind of combat interesting?

Take out the animations and sounds, the blood on the lens, even the movement and head bobble stuff as you explore and I bet you'd have a better game; the developer could focus more of his time on making more complex combat, more spells, more character options.

Crichton

Prophet
and here i thought Codex where starving for some modern made oldschool RPG's, but it seesm i was wrong.

Who's starving for a Dungeon Hack remake? There's no shortage of much more sophisticated single character dungeon crawling action games. If this dev wants my moolah, tell him to drop this game and instead make a Dark Sun: Shattered Lands clone with a six person party.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems to be a glut of these Dungeon Hack/EoB games coming up through the indie circuits.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
They definitely gave it an inspired name. Basically any name that comes from the random combination of "Malevolence" "Ahkranox" and "Sword", is awesome. For instance :

"Ahkranox : The sword of Malevolence"

or

"Sword : The Malevolence of Ahkranox"

:thumbsup: pure win.

Phelot

Arcane
When he opened the inventory I thought "Oh cool, you get to play as a zombie!"

It would be a whole lot more interesting if the combat was turn-based.
It is turn based, it seems from reading the site.

The devs also claim the whole game to be procedurally generated.

As for me, I'll just wait and see where this goes. I don't seem to find any demo released yet, so I'll just sit back and play something else.

nomask7

Arcane
It's a rogue-like for fuck's sake. I guess this thread is one of those phenomena where the guy expecting soda gets his mouth full of wine instead and goes "yuck!". From what I can tell, this game isn't any worse in terms of combat than any hallowed classic of the rogue-like genre, which this game is part of.

Finally a huge first-person rogue-like with nice graphics. I mean, I think ASCII ADOM has good mood, but it's very much an exception in those terms so it's nice to have something like this for a change.

Also, game was just updated with a new very interesting procedural magic system, procedural bosses, and tons of fixes. The project is nearing version 1.0 now. Looking very, very good.

nomask7

Arcane

You mean I should have started a new thread about this same game in the same forum now that it's nearing completion? Are you fucking retarded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom