Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Malevolence: the Sword of Ahkranox - Turn Based - Early Access now available

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, as mentioned above it has been discussed before -- bottom line for me is it's a wait and see before I purchase. Not sure why you would have a turn based single character blobber but there it is... I hope they polish up the UI and such. I think the game world and monsters look fine but the UI is Mount & Blade bad in terms of appearance. Not a deal breaker but, come on, doesn't take that much effort to make it more presentable. Other than that it looks solid if they can actually deliver on what they promise.

Unfortunately most of their updates are limited to Kickstarter backers only which is pretty moronic considering you already have their money. Shutting off updates from other potential buyers doesn't make much sense.

Zed -- I don't really have any specific questions re: the game itself but if you could relay the notion that they would be well served to actually update their website a bit or post more videos on their youtube channel (latest one is two months old) to keep the non-Kickstarter people updated. I mean, supposedly this thing is being released in December so I'd expect a decent amount of progress to be going on to justify at least monthly videos. Oh, also ask about Steam 'cuz I'm a Steam whore.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I could try and fix up an interview. Or just ask them that question. Whatever.
I'll look for an email address or something.

EDIT: I got in touch with them. If you have any questions to ask them, just write them here.

well, ok:

1. is it built like Daggerfall (like i posted earlier, thats how i understood the "preview" i read somewhere) in its landscapes (pre-set towns/dungeons etc and generated landscape)?
2. moddability?
3. will there be edges to the world or be more like Minecraft?
4. why not party based?
5. how will the spell system work?
6. will you add a Challenge/Hardcore/1 life only difficult mode?
7. will towns be big and varied or look the same (random generated town insides?) and will there be open towns or will everyone be inside walls (the big box you showed in a landscape video)?
8. as mentioned above, i hope portraits will be "upgraded".
9. fly spell?
10. will you have a auto-generated quest system too?

Good questions Luzur,

I am also curious if its built like Daggerfall. I dont like the idea of everything just random generated, seem like it would be generic as heck. Didn't Daggerfall have some stuff that was custom? Like the Castles in Wayrest and such? I like open world sand box's but if EVERYTHING is random generated seems like it would be all generic and get boring fast.

Also curious about the quest system; will there be any handcrafted stuff or will it be all auto-generated fed ex type quests.

Agree on the character portrait, its pretty terrible

Stelcio

Savant
Except its turned based and grid based, they arent showing anything of the combat in the video but i fear the worse, one character only and so little strategic options, zero reasons to go turn based.
It will have up to 4 players co-op mode, so it will be kinda party-based. May be balanced for solo play though.

Also, Fallout was turn based despite having one character and still was fun even if wasn't a prime example of RPG combat. So it may end up being fun, even if not exactly typical dungeon-crawling combatfag game or straight Daggerfall clone.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout was not a blobber. Unless the character system in this game revolves around action points then the comparison to Fallout is poor one.

Mortmal

Arcane
So anyone here tried the beta ? Only found one comment on the internet and its positive "exceptionnal", i expect some codexers to tell me how shitty and how much decline it is , i dont want to be too optimistic about it.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Game is great. I'm awaiting future updates however. Mostly because of combat mechanics which right now, is a place holder. Damage of the equipped weapon is mirrored by monsters. In other words they do the same damage to you as your currently equipped weapon/current level stats. Not trying to scare players away just warning you. It ruined the game for me in the current build.

That's actually working as intended for now. Referencing the players own stats when generating monster attributes is the only way we were able to scale the stats correctly. This, however, will be changing in the next update to make it a bit more cohesive. It's just that we were running out of time to get this update done and drastic measures had to be taken

Regards,
Alex Norton

Luzur

Good Sir
can anyone tell me how to start the damn game?! i installed it (manually, due to some error with the fonts and admin) got all setup and when i click DEMO, it says searching for servers... then i get a "A certain error has occured" and then nothing more, it just sits there looking for servers.

and when i try LAUNCH, it just attempts to Login, and just sits there.

man, they really need to rework that installation program, Skyrim installed smoother then this.

hydd

Got a chance to play it last night. Character creation was a bit dull, but the homage to Might and Magic 6 npc voices was a nice touch (I'm the one you want!). The writing seems to be a disjointed from npc to npc. Some npcs are insanely serious and all doom & gloom and others talk about "an arrow to the knee". Graphics and art direction are pretty good for an indie, but I highly recommend turning the bloom setting to 0 or 1 as the scaling can give a migraine.

I'm very excited to see more and have secured my pre-purchase because of the demo. Try it folks!

Damage of the equipped weapon is mirrored by monsters. In other words they do the same damage to you as your currently equipped weapon/current level stats. .

I was wondering why zombies got uber difficult after I got a new blade. :)

Edit: Load screens are not optimized as of yet. I've got an i7 3960X, 32gb ram, gtx 680 sli and am running it on a 830 samsung pro ssd but still get 8-15 second load screens.

hydd

can anyone tell me how to start the damn game?! i installed it (manually, due to some error with the fonts and admin) got all setup and when i click DEMO, it says searching for servers... then i get a "A certain error has occured" and then nothing more, it just sits there looking for servers.

man, they really need to rework that installation program, Skyrim installed smoother then this.

What executable are you using to launch the game? It should be "Malevolence Launcher.exe". Also, you may need to make a firewall exception if it's stuck trying to search for servers.

Luzur

Good Sir

What executable are you using to launch the game? It should be "Malevolence Launcher.exe". Also, you may need to make a firewall exception if it's stuck trying to search for servers.

yes the launcher, but why would a demo search for servers anyway?

EDIT: well that did the trick with server searching, but after isntalling 7 updates i get a "RUNTIME ERROR cannot load IMAGE 839849949kdjbfkssomething in IMAGE/IMAGE" error everytime the loading bar finishes.

grrr.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The dungeons look great, the landscape not so much. And a little bit too much bloom for my taste.

hydd

yes the launcher, but why would a demo search for servers anyway?

EDIT: well that did the trick with server searching, but after isntalling 7 updates i get a "RUNTIME ERROR cannot load IMAGE 839849949kdjbfkssomething in IMAGE/IMAGE" error everytime the loading bar finishes.

grrr.

Try installing the newest version of .NET & C++ runtime

Luzur

Good Sir
EDIT: got it to work now, very interesting game, but since you cant save and it runs slow for me i'll think i'll wait for it to get more polished before buy.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
He just released a new patch this morning which should address the placeholder battle system. :incline:
[
Saturday, May 18, 2013

Major Update 0.07.527 - 18th May 2013

- Complete snow biome scenery
- Complete desert scenery
- Gazetteers of Smeh-ghet are too common
- Armour racks now more common than weapon racks
- Added local recall medallions
- New console command to add procedural spell books to inventory
- Add monsters to the countryside at night
- Sleeping in the countryside should pose a risk during the night hours
- Fix issues with Local Recall Medallions
- Fix issues with lightning bolt spell costs at high levels
- Sell prices for weapons and armour now 20% higher
- Don't allow spellbooks for certain spells that make it too easy for players to become overpowered and lose the fun. Allow scrolls for them, though.
- Clergyman Al-aeks now gives you some starting gold to help get you set up
- Add farm functionality
- Countryside loot containers have a few anomalies (not saving/loading correctly?)
- Update farm appearance
- Add bow functionality to countryside
- Add new item "Poison Antidote" (removes poison)
- Make freshwater springs functional
- Add new console command LUCKYCHARM to get Tears of Hyfrydle
- Antidotes can be purchased at temples
- Add guard tower theme music and voice pack
- Add temple theme music
- Add trap disarm practice mode to thieves guilds when implemented
- Add Thieves Guilds
- Add new item "Tears of Hv-rydleh" (makes player very lucky)
- Add map image for portals
- Occasional crash when spamming teleport spell?
- Make farms appear on the map
- Add guard tower functionality
- Update map marker appearance
- Add "Tome of the Guard Bretheren" with list of Kickstarter pledgers
- Add food items for small health boosts
- Farm icons not correctly rendering on map
- Fixed fatal crash when accessing Tome of the Brethren
- Make tower icons more visible against low contrast biome areas
- Guard towers sell torches
- Less chance of towers selling recall medallions
- Added spell effect descriptions to spellbook and scroll rollovers in inventory
- Alphabetized Tome of the Brethren
- Removed duplicates from Tome of the Brethren
- Tower doors not aligned well with player movement grid
- Fixed monster object number reference issues (combat/looting/killing errors)
- Monster blood visible in countryside
- Fixed occasional missing object crash when fighting monsters in countryside
- Underwater sound shouldn't play over the top of guard tower UI if in a submerged tower
- Possible crash happening when bow hunting in the countryside hopefully fixed
- Fixed fatal crash when entering a Mine floor with a portal
- Fixed issue with Recall Medallions not having name show up on pickup screen
- Potions no longer stack (just for a test at the moment. possibly not permanent)
- Add various potion sizes
- Wrong name showing in pickup screen for Recall Medallions
- Console command INTOTHEDEPTHS takes you to the bottom floor of a dungeon
- Console command SMEGGIT reveals everything in the local area
- Console command LOCALMAP simulates getting farm directions
- Fixed tower potion purchase exploit
- Towers only let you in between 6pm and 6am
- Fixed incorrect month names in certain books
- Fairly sure I've sorted out the issue with torches stopping working/not working properly
- Small mana potions not working
- Re-write Kevin Bacon module to be more accurate
- Smeggit maps work properly again
- Farm directions work properly again
- Make small potions more common
- Fix missing potion image bug
- Add temple alchemy functionality
- Oops. Tears of Hyfrydle should actually WORK now
- Drinking a bottle of Blatherbeard's Brew whilst already drunk will have consequences
- Drinking Blatherbeard's Brew will make you EXTREMELY strong, but also quite frail
- Countryside should be cleared of monsters when sleeping at a tower or farm
- Shouldn't be able to save in the countryside when monsters are nearby
- Add item "Blatherbeard's Brew" that acts as an hallucinogenic
- Items in general store sell screen sometimes showing information from buy screen
- Ramp down enchantment power when effect is triggered more frequently
- Sometimes getting drunk could GAIN your armour or weapons?
- SCAVENGE command has broken images
- Weapons don't scale in damage as quickle
- Add some sort of signpost system to countryside
- Blatherbeard's Brew has a value now
- Set monster damage difficulty at floor entry
- Some floors with lower levels don't have a staircase leading down
- Some cleanse quests can't be completed
- More monster level fixing
- Add basic permadeath leaderboard functionality
- Enchantments are created with 0 value
- Blacksmith gear more random
- Soft mouse return not working in towns
- Add magic shops
- Give procedural scrolls proper value generation
- Give procedural spell books proper value generation
- The higher the probability of an enchantment going off, the lower the power should be
- Inventories not sorting new item types
- Magic store prices are incorrect
- Magic stores only buy General Store items
- Leaderboard not updating properly
- Portals don't render correctly on your UI minimap
- Add gem sounds to countryside
- Add hotkeys for rest screen (use 1, 2 and 3 keys to pick amount of time to rest)
- Losing invisibility (by revealing yourself) should remove spell marker
- Dimension stones occasionally make items disappear
- Bows shouldn't shoot through closed doors
- Incorrect Magic Store shopkeeper sounds during haggling and sale
- Alter map reveals to show ALL locations
- Removed annoying gem sounds in countryside, but kept secret chime, since not as regular
- Chance of traps not going off on first trigger (a clank sound will play - be sure to listen for it!)
- Being lucky (Tears) will make traps always fail
- Asking directions at farms or using gazetteers can delete previously found map markers? O_o
- Some locations still not being placed on the map
- Trial player starting with one of each health potion type, rather than three large
- Door open sound should now play when entering magic shop
- Ramp monster difficulty more significantly when going deeper into dungeons
- Magical traps shouldn't fail like mechanical traps can
- Casting invulnerability at the same time as using Tears of Hv-Rydleh makes you permanently invulnerable
- Enchantment values are too low with the new per-chance scaling system
- Scrolls not having a value in magic shops
- Fix greater world segment borders
- Link WIS stat to spell casting abilities
- Link DEX stat to bow/arrow damage
- Link STR stat to physical weapon damage
- Link INT stat to trap complexity
- Link DEX stat to chance of trap failure
- Small DEX boost for successfully finding trap without triggering it
- Misc ambient sounds shouldn't play while underwater
- Add breath levels for water travel
- Replace XP numbers with progress bar
- Update rain appearance
- Add biome-specific music (what's done)
- Add player footstep sounds to countryside and towns
- Shouldn't be able to attempt to disarm a trap mechanically while enemies are near
- Player damage and poison effects are affected by CON stat
- Rare invisible walls in dungeons (reference 'W') something to do with secret doors, as they disappear when the secret door is opened...
- Add more ambient sound to countryside to make it feel more alive
- Fixed utterly terrifying bug where monsters will, literally, sprint at you at lightning speeds through the countryside when you try and sleep and they spot you from a distance... Sorry Smeggit.
- Fixed map bugs FINALLY
- Fixed repetitive step sounds near towns
- Removed step towns when turning
- Monsters can't walk through floor decorations in mines
- Conversational anomolies with Clergyman Al-aeks
- Achievement banners not working in countryside
- Player can strafe through collision objects in towns
- Update mine entrance asset
- Scrolls purchased at the thieves' guild don't have a gold value
- Monsters not appearing properly after interrupting your sleep in dungeons
- Can walk through walls in towns if walking backwards
- 3 New female citizen voice packs
- Wrong "I can't use this" sound plays in magic shops
- Fixed post-inventory crash relating to achievements
- Spellbooks purchased at magic shop don't work
- Selecting "The Coin" from Al-aeks should give you more gold
/QUOTE]

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh, they said 'release' would be back in December and nearly half a year on it's still basically a beta.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Meh, they said 'release' would be back in December and nearly half a year on it's still basically a beta.
Regardless of it being beta or not, it has great promise and he has fixed the main issue I had (combat). All the content he adds from here on out is pure gravy. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom