Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Malevolence: the Sword of Ahkranox - Turn Based - Early Access now available

getter77

Augur
The main issue boils down to the game being a slower cooker than they anticipated due to life intervening medically and otherwise---not on the level of, say, Kenshi's ambling adventures towards an eventually great tomorrow....but still.

They've got a long way to go on getting the base game all the way there and, IIRC, their expansion level post-release doings---but hopefully 2015 will be the year to get a great gust of wind on their sails to generate some real, sustained momentum.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
More specifically it'll be in release state sometime around 2020.

Aenra

Arx Fatalis excepted, 22 years for a game that would once again have a rune magic system

i see your 5 and barely register them ^^

getter77

Augur
a long way to go on getting the base game all the way there

Thank you for replying, if you don't mind could you be a touch more specific in regards to this?

Really, the patch outlines you bumped this with already sum up much of it---beyond that for minutiae, I guess you'd have to step back through their Facebook posts while cross referencing the ultimate state of their Kickstarter page to square precisely how things have lined up. My own observations are beget from generally, well, observing them all this while since the start of the campaign as they certainly were aiming for the stars albeit with a long and arduous path needed to get there even from their own early estimations while the funding drive was still a thing---this type of game is enormously difficult to develop.

Aenra

..and here i was wondering if this game is worth it..
..more dots..
http://steamcommunity.com/games/268930/announcements/detail/222139541384993056

banks patch launched yesterday apparently..aaand..

- automatic item transfer to banks! Cause who needs travelling!? Traversing the hostile ole lands ye fossils? Forced into combat? combat!!! in an RPG!!!??? by roaming bandits? Why no more! One click and something happens your items are magically transported away! How better to emphasise loot worth hierarchy and meaningful player decisions? Now you can store it ALL in baby! Hoaaaaard it like it's the apocalypse! Inventory management is so 1980s anyway!

- dungeons now scale and lock to your level! Go in at level 1? They lock at level 1! Wooo-hooo, cause that worked well in other games! Unburden yourselves from the joy of successful efforts and trials! Enter them all at level 1, come back when you are 20! The key to success is overreaching overleveling!

:negative:

Am really starting to think young people should not into developing, lol
next

Alchemist

Arcane
Hmm the magical access to banks is lame indeed, but the dungeon level lock doesn't bother me as much, since there are literally an infinite amount of dungeons in the game. If you outlevel nearby dungeons, just travel a bit and you'll find one for your current level. I'd prefer if there were no scaling at all - but due to the procedural / infinite nature of the game I can kinda see why they did it this way.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Malevolence reminds of me of Demise mixed in with Daggerfall. Though the game play is slightly different since it basically has no ending. The walk speed has greatly improved and there are many options for quick travel back and forth between town and dungeons.
Permadeath will require alternate escape routes.

I'm finding the recent build more addicting after an 8 month hiatus from the game. Dungeon delving, questing and never-ending loot.
:fuuyeah:

Permadeath will soon have major benefits with the ability to loot other permadeath player-corpses and looting with the bank slots for that loot which can be grandfathered in after one character dies. (One save slot)

Malevolence, the gift that keeps on giving. ;)

Are there more enemy types now? Previously there were only 7 or 8 which could get a little annoying after a while.

- dungeons now scale and lock to your level! Go in at level 1? They lock at level 1! Wooo-hooo, cause that worked well in other games! Unburden yourselves from the joy of successful efforts and trials! Enter them all at level 1, come back when you are 20! The key to success is overreaching overleveling!

Enter all the infinite dungeons at level 1? :M

Aenra

Enter all the infinite dungeons at level 1? :M

nope ^^
more like never have to worry about anything, the game scales to your level.
never require extra effort in anything, as it again will scale to your level.
never get to say "isn't that something, i actually made it!", as it will scale to your level.
You WILL however have an abundance of occasions where we will kindly allow you to reminisce the joys of playing..say, Oblivion? :)

and if you are that bad, then yes, run around and enter everything you find at level 1

Luzur

Good Sir
Permadeath? what?

i hope that will be an option since i never liked the "you-die-you-need-to-roll-another-guy" system ala Rogues.

Aenra

i hope that will be an option

it is, totally optional;
iirc, you cannot even 'see' other people on permadeath characters, unless you yourself are on one. They say they are that separate (as infered from reading, have not played it)
apart from the usual things, permadeath also entails a pseudo online 'contest', in the sense of your being put by default into a timescore table, so that others and you may check on your progress, feats, et al. And time of death :p

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Are there more enemy types now? Previously there were only 7 or 8 which could get a little annoying after a while.

I have not seen new monsters myself with the current patch. Alex has said that he is adding boss monsters as well as new monster types in upcoming patches.
Monsters will also have the ability to cast spells as well, though I am not certain if that is coming in with the new Magic System which is coming in the next patch.

Level Scaling: I am not sure how the scaling works. Dungeons should lock onto your level upon entry but Alex said this was not working as he intended before the current patch.
Example: If you enter a dungeon connected to a quest listed as "Difficult" or "Very Difficult" the monsters in those particular dungeons do not seem to be the same level but rather higher in level, by my estimate 5-8 levels higher.

Aenra

Assuming anyone's curious, he finally posted an update! Woohoo!
What do you mean finally, newfag? Well in typical lololretardfashion his 'updates' recently had to do about:

- Raining outside his house. Yes, for real, this was upped as a game update. Even came with piktur3s, you know, for the Tumblr people to relate with.
- Promoting a book some other nerd wrote. It too haz piktur3s !!!!111
- Letting us all know (for how could we have slept peacefully otherwise) that he has a job. Heard it here first folks, people have ..jobs.. wow!

But enough with productive commentaries and insightful glimpses into societal norms. To proceed with the utterly unexpected and banal, here's the last update:

"So my time off is over and I'm back at work, but boy was it a good break. Got HEAPS done. I was doing 16-18 hour days haha
I am finally down to ONE FINAL EFFECT to complete before the magic system is ready for test, and I should get that finished tonight! The matrix of potential effects has been MASSIVE (fills 16 pages of an A4 notebook, and I write quite small) but I'm finally working on the LAST effect, and that is one of fear. You will be able to literally make enemies become terrified of you and flee your presence (handy when escaping an angry ogre!)
Recently completed effects have been confusion, teleport (yep, even enemies :p), freeze and weaken. I got all those implemented and working yesterday. So it's just this last one! Gotta go to my day job in about an hour, so I'm going to try and get as much of it done before then as I can, and then I'll be back into it once I've finished work. Hopefully to finish it off tonight! Pretty confident that I will.
It's all quite ugly at the moment, with lots of temporary visual effects, but I'm going to have a lot of fun making it look and sound great while the test team are ripping it apart. They're good at that. Though while building this I've been testing it pretty extensively myself and it seems to hold together. I think most of what the test team will find will mainly be balancing issues (make this spell stronger, make this one weaker, etc) but there's only so much of that which they'll realistically be able to do themselves. It'll most likely be you guys which tell me when something feels unbalanced in-game.
Given how patient you've all been I'm not going to dilly-dally too much with the visuals. Once I've got something half-decent I'll throw the build out there and let you start playing with it, then do the final prettying up during the polish phase, since we're pretty close to the end of this development now, and beautification is a large part of what's left to do. Functionally, the game is almost ready!
I'm excited
!"

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268930/announcements/detail/99435768442090717

If allowed a personal opinion, i could only state my most buoyant optimism. For a 2018 release.

Aenra

New update! The crowd shivers, the anticipation levels are trully beyond mortal ken.. And it's actually about the game! Well almost, don't get too spoiled now. We have left the banality of the mainstream far behind us.. So let us hear what some ad plants testerz have to say about the game, lol.. yes, this is the update:

Tester Feedback
10 November - CumQuaT
Hi all! So the test team have had their claws firmly sunk into the new magic system for a little while now, and they've been doing their best to break it (quite successfully). I've been working around the clock to fix each thing as it comes up (those watching the Trello would have seen the cards flying between the columns all hours of the day and night) and things are shaping up pretty nicely.

I thought I'd ask the test team for some words of feedback to pass on to you guys to let you know how they feel about the system thus far.

"The new system gives the player control over what goes into each spell - how powerful it is, what it will do, and where it will go. By doing this, it also encourages experimentation which is very cool. I've spent a fair amount of time just putting spells together to see what their effect in game will be.

The spells with multiple effects are really sweet. Want to heal yourself while doing damage to the enemy? Want to set a trap for the unsuspecting monsters that are near by? Cause your enemies to to turn tail and run away? All of these are now completely viable. These are huge in terms of offering play styles which were not feasible before. These are just a few of the things you can do with the new system, which make it a lot more fun to play, along with the ability to customize your character (all fire spells for example) much easier than it was before.

It's much more fun to be a mage now, no question. I feel the system is simple enough to get a grasp on, at the same time retaining enough flexibility that there is a lot of room for creating spells unique to your character. An excellent addition to the game."

- Tnoyce

"The versatility of the new magic system is fun and gives mages a feeling of power and control. When items enchanting is implemented it will do the same for other play styles too. Some serious incentive to go looting!"

- Smeggit

"Trap spells, projectile spells, healing spells, etc., they are all here just waiting for you to create and name them."

- Shohashi

"So i have never been a mage in a game but i like that i can cast spells. This system makes it so you can cast spells you want, sell things you dont want to use as casting materials. I can also honestly say that ive never seen the spells used in this way before and like how its implemented because YOU control what the outcome is(providing YOU can find the pieces you need) instead of relying on some pre determined book that does X Y or Z and you cant change or modify that. Well in malevolence you CAN change the way spells work by finding the correct gem to use in the correct spell disk. yeah, might make mages harder, but def makes them more rewarding in the end."

- Blatherbeard

So it's coming along nicely. Quite playable and usable at the moment, just rounding off the rough edges and getting values balanced a little bit (accidentally made poison traps so powerful that ogres died instantly when walking over them hahaha - that sort of thing)
But we're nearing finish on that, then it's just the simple matter of linking up the pretty visuals (the system is fairly ugly at the moment while we get everything working) and then linking the system to the boss monsters so that they can use the magic too (because I'm evil like that) and it'll be good to go!

Now for the real question.... Who's played Fallout 4 yet? I haven't bought any new games in about 3 years, since I dev rather than play, so I have to live vicariously through you guys hahaha

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268930/announcements/detail/101690269594639528

I wish i was a retard too. hahaha
(always end sentences with hahaha, like this moran does. You want people to take you seriously after all)

Aenra

:necro:

Despair not! Update has arrived!

Sho Talks New Magic

22 January - FK Boots

So a couple of my lovely test team have been working on videos showing off features of the new update to give you guys and gals a sneak peek of what's coming. The first of these is ShoHashi giving you a "magic system 101" breakdown of the basics of how it works! He also gives you a small taste of what the new Boss Monsters are like. More videos like this to come as work on the update finally starts wrapping up!
I think the main thing to take away from this is to imagine how many possibilities and combinations of effects there can potentially be! It's the main reason why it's been so complicated to create in the first place haha

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268930/announcements/detail/719815655698152468

Notice the "haha" right at the end; he does it again ladies and gentlemen! I love this guy, cannot but take him seriously. haha. ha.

Aenra

Was that perverse situation where you knew it was a game you should have written off, but somehow found yourself still following regardless. Partly the lolz with his "updates", partly curiosity really.

But if level scaling, moronic decisions, utter silence and "it rains outside my house!!! Like nao!1!! wow!!" game updates weren't enough to dissuage you, all that SHINEH bloom in this last video should.. everything shines man! I mean everything! In his words, haha.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:necro:

I honestly never thought the day would come, but Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox has been released!.

I'd almost forgotten about it languishing on my wishlist for what seems like the last 5 years, but woke up to an email from Steam saying it was now 1.0. What with Grimoire, Kenshi and now this being released, truly this is a time of miracles!

Of course, I'm waiting to see if it's a bug-filled mess before buying and the talk of the expansion already has me thinking he's cut loads out and is planning on selling it as an extra, but I'm sure some of you guys who seem to play everything that gets released will provide feedback.

Fluent this seems like a use for your... talents.

Martyr

Arcane
doesn't even sound that bad. permadeath is really off-putting, as usual. I might check it out if there's a gigantic discount.

also WTF:
Lcv4UYf.png

:what:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most of the reviews for this game are 4-5 years old.
I really don't know what to think of this :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom