Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Making Wasteland 2 work with a shitty, old computer (and a tech question)

So, guys, a good samaritan sympathetic with the plight of the third world peoples gifted me with a Wasteland 2.

I want to play this game. Baddly.

But I'm pretty sure this computer ins't going to cut it. WL2 has rather step requirements compared to its visuals.
Here's my specs:
ProcessorIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
ManufacturerIntel
Speed3.1 GHz
Number of Cores2
CPU IDBFEBFBFF00000F49
Family0F
Model04
Stepping9
Revision03
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce 210
ManufacturerNVIDIA
ChipsetGeForce 210
Dedicated Memory1.0 GB
Total Memory1.7 GB
Pixel Shader Version4.1
Vertex Shader Version4.1
Hardware T & LYes
Vendor ID10DE
Device ID0A65
Plug and Play IDVEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A2
Driver Version9.18.13.3489
Memory2.1 GB

Can I get my configs all to lowest imaginable and then try to run this game? Will Wasteland 2 melt my computer?

As for the tech question: My cousin has a 2GB 866MHZ ram card she ins't using. Mine's 633. Is it worth it to put the other ram card to work along with mine? Won't this cause malfuction or something, and will it speed up the comp and allow me to play WL2?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
P4. lol.

The ram will probably work. If it doesn't, take it out. And it WILL help, but it alone won't make the game run great.

tarasis

Novice
I can get around 15-20FPS at 1280x800 on Fastest detail level, on a 5 year old MacBook Pro (2.53Ghz C2D, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M 256mb GFX and Win7 64bit)

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
you can try putting "-force-d3d9" at the end of your desktop shortcut (forcing D9 instead of the default D11). Should help?

Jezal_k23

If you put in the other memory stick, it'll likely help. +2GB is a big deal, even though it will only be able to run as fast as the slowest stick.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have ridiculous performance too. I have an Intel I7 960 (4 cores, 8 with HT, 3.2 GHZ), 6 GBs of ram and a 6950 AMD card with 2 GB card.

In Linux, I get around 20/25 FPS in busy scenes.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I tried running it last year, on a core my i3 (old one) with a radeon 5450 512mb card and 4gb of ram and it ran at least playably if not prettilly and smoothly. i spent 200bucks total on a gtx750 ti and 4 more gb of ram in the last few months and now it runs buttery at 1080 max settings.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What's your motherboard? Whether or not you will be able to use your cousin's VGA depends on your mobo slots. I'm fairly confidendent that a P4 mobo lacks PCI-e, which means you will have to find an old AGP VGA OR you will have to scrap the system entirely and go for a cheap new one. Sadly, the whole "system upgrade" thing is a more a marketing scam than a technically viable thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom