Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Majestic OD&D Campaign

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Whether his pagan beliefs in gods, runes and soap are the delusions of a uneducated charlatan or the source of some real power remains to be seen.
:D

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
MAJESTIC ODD: Session Two

Subtitle: Beating the Dead Horse: How We Accidentally Summoned a Chicken Demon and Murdered All These Guys

A second day dawned on our heroes' campaign, following a sleep troubled by nightmares of wrestling with Pythons and genderbending German noblemen. They little knew when they awoke that their nightmares would be more comforting than their reality.

Scribonius was unfortunately called away on errands by his master, Gallan, so was absent from the day's adventures.The remaining two set out to follow up on a few of the preceding day's leads.

Penderton decides to visit the merchant whose caravan was robbed. Livius eventually recieves Penderton, giving him information about the caravan being attacked to the northeast of the city and of a small, locked chest that was stolen along with his merchandise. Livius contracts Penderton and his companions to recover it. Meanwhile, Penderton attempts to uncover what, if anything, Livius knows about the pyramidal artefact. He convinces Livius that Ivar is a powerful mystic, capable of seeing the true worth of supernatual objects, so Livius asks for an interview with Ivar.

Ivar, meanwhile, promotes his reputation with a local underworld contact, Kane. After a small and bloody ritual, he foresees "femininity and feminine traits" and "changes" in Kane's future, whatever that means. Ivar hopes that with an improved reputation as a mystic, he might have better prospects in the city--and better chances of finding the pyramidal object if the owner decides to sell it.

Eventually, Penderton and Ivar rejoin and return to Livius'. Livius declares his intention to use Ivar's divination to locate his lost possessions. They arrange to sacrifice Livius' prize horse at a place of power at midnight for the divination.

Penderton smells a con, knowing full well how much hallucinogenic philtre Ivar has on him. Ivar does intend to con Livius--but not by faking a divination. He intends to sell the soul of Livius to the god Loki in exchange for personal power.

While Ivar prepares the ritual, Penderton finally tracks down a man claiming to be a friend of the owner of the pyramid. His name is Lucas, a common labourer, who has apparently fled to the northern outskirts the city, though is looking to sell his treasure. Penderton offers a bounty for information on Lucas to Lucas' friend.

The time of the ritual arrives. Ivar has created a magic circle of power in front of a lone ash tree outside of Krell. He has secretly painted himself with runes of warding, knowing that Loki is a vengeful god. When Livius arrives, Penderton and the merchant's guards take up watch, while Ivar gets to work.

He paints Livius with runes, then leads the white stallion into the circle. In his native tongue, he begins an incantation to summon Loki and offer the soul of merchant as tribute. He soothes and entrances the animal before slitting its throat and collecting the blood. After tasting it, Ivar decides that the blood will do and he mixes it with a strong dose of his hallucinogen. He and Livius both drink deeply and commune with the tree.

Ivar consults the runes, finally. They offer 'receding power,' 'strength to meet a challenge,' and 'victory through great sacrifice.' He explains his interpretation to the drugged Lavius, intertwining it with a fabrication of the treachery of none other than Gallan, the magistrate.

While Ivar reads his runes, a hard cold wind arises. In disgust, Penderton and the guards watch as the worms and vermin of the earth boil out and flee the circle and the tree. Behind Ivar, the runes he's painted on the ash begin to glow. No sooner does Penderton succeed in snapping the pagan out of his trance does the tree erupt in flames.

Hell breaks loose. The dead and cooling horse rises again to its feet. One of the merchants guards looses his mind, going into a gibbering frenzy. A dark bird flies out of the forest and lights on the back of the zombie horse. It looks like a chicken.

The frenzied guard rushes towards Ivar and Livius. After trading glancing blows, the combined efforts of Ivar, Penderton and Livius' second guard finally bring the madman down. A third guard emerges from the woods and tries to move Livius to safety, while the second guard tries to take care of his dying, rabid comrade. Ivar frantically attempts to dispel whatever magic brought zombie horse and nightmare chicken into the glade, but to no avail.

Nightmare chicken cackles at Ivar's attempts to banish him, so Penderton steps into the circle and brains zombie horse, to show the fowl what's what. He's nearly fried by the poultry when the circle ignites.

The dread cock demands that Ivar and Penderton bring him Livius, whom he was promised. Ivar takes this demon to be his god, Loki. Penderton attempts to barter with the winged terror, but to little effect. He reasons that Livius sold his soul by engaging in the pagan's rituals, so the demon has the right to his prize.

Ivar reveals another unknown power and makes himself imperceptible to the human eye. He quietly accosts and slits the throat of Livius' second guard. Penderton and Ivar both move towards the copse where the stoned Livius and his final guard are hiding. Despite Penderton's best efforts, he cannot convince the last guard to stand down, so he and Ivar slay him. Livius will not go without a fight either, and manages to cut IVar deep, to within an inch of his life. Ivar falls, but Penderton manages to break Livius' body.

Penderton stabilizes Ivar and drags the dying Livius back to the ruthless rooster, stopping only to dispatch the last wounded, but living guard. Nightmare chicken is not pleased with Livius' old and now badly damanged body. He exhorts our heroes to find him a better specimen as a host, teaching Ivar how to summon him again before flying into the night.

Penderton and Ivar loot the bodies of the slain, but leave quickly when disturbed by what sound like human voices--they still don't know how many guards in total Livius brought with him. They spend the night in a ditch. At dawn, they re-enter Krell to lick their wounds and attempt to ascertain the repercussions of their crimes, but not before menacing a suspicious goat.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:thumbsup:

Considering that the three guards and Livius were either equal or higher level than us, I say we handled the four of them rather well. The end was simply chaos. I should note that Ivar never intended to kill Livius, rather simply damn his soul in exchange for power. He would have let let him leave thinking that Gallan was against him. The elder god thing had other ideas.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
ccVm4.jpg
FOOL, THIS WORTHLESS HOST IS AN OWL, NOT A COCK.

But otherwise:

:thumbsup:

I'm still impressed that you've managed to make through this alive.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, we got lucky after all, even with all the absolutely lousy rolls. If we'd had to take two guards at once, we might have been done for.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
No problem. As you probably know, there's no chance that we'll start on time anyway ;)

BTW, I introduce one new rule! Anyone wishing to participate must be able to connect/use Hamachi and Maptool without problems. I'm open to test connections and stuff, but before the game or during the week, not 5 minutes before the session starts. I'm looking at you, Jarl :M

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah so I could test my maptools connection with you again before the game now. Let's hope it works this time. If not, I say we go the IRC way from the start. :P

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Recap from session 3 should arrive shortly.

Guys didn't do much this time, to be honest, apart from a lot of larping :smug:

Penderton accidentally put himself in a grave danger by walking into a bandit camp of sorts, and I've broken my golden sandbox rule for the first time and helped him a bit to survive. I admit that the dice were on his side, because, luckily, he got knocked out instead of being killed. The whole situation was kinda provoked by me, because I didn't stress how dangerous wilderness and poor districts of the city are, so I decided to play it soft this time. But beware bros, it was the last time I did such thing and I hope that a lesson was learned.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I've been playing too much popamole nonsense recently. I thought I could grab this guy and use him as cover while murdering the world with my awesome button à la Splinter Cell: Conviction(s?). Who would have thought he'd get his shit together and actually fight back?

Specifically, this guy with a crossbow accosted me. I tried to talk him down and apparently failed. One of his (unarmed) buddies comes over to search me for valuables, so I grabbed him. I whipped out a knife and stabbed him repeatedly, but the bear wouldn't die. He got away, crossbow guy, who got two shots a round, starts unloading on me, and a third (drunk) assailant kind of watched on. I threw the dagger in an amazing display of badassery and murdered the shit out of the ground somewhere past crossbow guy. Then followed a frankly pathetic exchange of misses on all parts so I took the third gamble of the night and tried to charge crossbow guy, the biggest threat to me at that point, I thought. This provoked an AoO from the unarmed friend, who pulls a critical hit out of his ass and manages to knock me out.

All in all, I went down hard, but I looked like a boss doing it, so...

:P I enjoyed getting my ass kicked.

Guess I'll be reforging myself some gear next session.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I was thinking about tweaking the combat procedure.

Basic round structure would look like this:
1) PCs declare their actions
2) Ranged weapons prepared earlier to fire may now fire one shot.
3) Any movement is resolved.
4) Melee attacks are made.
5) Folks who didn't move may shoot again.
6) Sorcerer cast their spells, if any.

Initiative rolls could be ditched and replaced with something like this. Ranged attacks are resolved simultaneously. Melee attacks are based on length of the weapon and other advantages, perhaps higher level fighters would get speed advantage over lower level characters. If multiple spells are cast, then higher level sorcerer gets to cast his spell first. Any comments?

Btw, I've got a surprise for you, Skittles :smug:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I'm pregnant?

Combat tweaks sound good--I know you're just butthurt that I rolled initiative four/five rounds that encounter, anyway. The only real issue I had with the old system was figuring out what was doable in a turn, e.g. how far can I move in a turn? in 1/2 a turn? does attacking take a full turn or 1/2 a turn? etc. That and the related prepared shot thing. As it stood, Xbow guy got to reload, take aim and fire twice per round each round, albeit with a light not heavy crossbow, but I couldn't draw a weapon and attack. Sacrificing your movement so that you'd get three attacks every two rounds, i.e. 1. load, fire, load, 2. fire, load, fire, sounds like preparing shots to me.

Of course, maybe I'm just whining and it's irrelevant in the new system.

We should also work out when we can do the next session. As I said, I can make after 22:30 GMT+1 on Tuesday and Thursday, after 23:30 on Wednesday*, or some time Friday, probably at 21:00 or so. Let's try to work out the end of the week in advance, if we can.

Though it'd have to be a short session for me if we did Wednesday.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
If I recall correctly you could draw your dagger and attack at the same turn. Arming yourself with a hammer and a shield takes a bit more time. The guy had a crossbow prepared to fire. It's a fair deal imo.

Well, ok, if you folks want we can play using a 5 feet grid. It may make things easier. There were movement rates somewhere in the rulebook, so I'll dig them out next time. But anyway, you can make your full move and make one full melee attack per turn. With ranged weapons you either shoot and move or shoot twice, unless you're using a heavy crossbow.

But yeah, I'm trying to unify rules and clean stuff up because I'm aware that combats were a bit messy on my side.

I can play on friday or saturday, 20-21 is fine for me.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
The party has a lot of possible stuff to do, so if you don't object, we could play the friday session without you. Granted that we have like 2 or more players. I could run two games; on friday and on saturday, but this depends if there is anyone interested.

lightbane

Arcane
Sounds like your party is more GRIMDARK and insane than ours in Pathfinder, but time will tell.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The party has a lot of possible stuff to do, so if you don't object, we could play the friday session without you. Granted that we have like 2 or more players. I could run two games; on friday and on saturday, but this depends if there is anyone interested.
Yeah, no problem. Try not to all die please, I'd hate for Ivar to walk alone, bound to the will of the demonic owl.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Sounds like your party is more PULP and EXTREME than ours in Pathfinder, but time will tell.

Fixed!

Regarding movement in combat:
(Edit: Maptool doesn't like meters so I've changed the values a bit)
Unencumbered character may move up to 120' in his turn.
Encubered characters (or those wearing medium armor) may move up to 90'.
Heavily encumbered characters (or those wearing heavy armor) move up to 60'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I generally have times on Fridays and Saturdays between 20:00 and 24:00 German time (which is GMT+1 I think). I wouldn't mind playing both on Friday and on Saturday. During the week I don't have time due to uni.

Should check if my maptool connection works now somewhen during this week, or Friday/Saturday before next session, with you andrzej.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Session 3
Lady, Anonymous Admirer and a Stubborn Smith

Since nobody did the recap I feel that it's my duty to sum things up.

We meet our heroes in Skull & Bones as usual. After Ivar's recovery the two rejoin with their comrade, Scribonnius. Plotting and planning soon becomes unimportant as group becomes more and more drunk. In the meantime they are approached by an interesting figure. Inanna, a fighting-woman of noble descent, overhears their plans of earning immense riches and fame. Hailing from far south, the lady is interested in building her position in the city and she seems pretty confident in her swordmanship. The woman seems trustworthy enough and thus our heroes decide to invite her to the party.

In the meantime, a young boy approaches Ivar with a message. The rogue and information broker Kane is looking to meet with him. Ivar decides to take Inanna with him and meet the man while Penderton and Scribonnius seek out any clues regarding the mysterious pyramidal artifact and its current owner.

Surprise awaits Ivar as he meets Kane. The man has received a message for the northman, an iron scroll case containing a... poem. Both Ivar and Inanna seem baffled as the poem is pretty mundane and well known to both of them. They try to inquire Kane about the man who gave him the message. Rogue is reluctant to share any details. Ivar offers him a wealthy payment, but the broker insists that he was well paid. He reveals though, that the message has been given to him in pretty unpleasant circumstances - with a knife at Kane's throat, a cowled man has ordered him to give the scroll to the mystic from the north. Being clever enough, rogue refuses to involve himself in this matter any further. Seeing that nothing more is to be learned here, Ivar and Inanna decide to leave.

Scribonnius tries to inquire citizens of the city about Lucas, the man who is said to be in possession of the pyramid. With no success though. A bunch of drunkards harass the scribe, which makes him rethink his strategy. After a while he leaves to Magistrate in order to help his master in various duties.

Meanwhile, Penderton wanders half-wild areas around Krell, hoping to find the pyramid, Lucas or both. At some point he stumbles into a small encampment hidden among the trees. Penderton confidently calls out to its denizens to come out and speak with him. To his surprise, an armed man emerges from the brush. He is clearly unfriendly and seems to point his crossbow at our hero much too often. The smith is not scared by the thug and tries to reason with him, with no success though. He tries to pose as a simple man, but his fine mail and weapons suggest that he is more important than he presents himself.

Alerted by noises, two other thugs show up. Thankfully, one of them is unarmed and other one is completely drunk. The trio tries to rob the Penderton of his possessions, but he decides to fight rather than to give in to their demands. A frentic melee ensues. Penderton repeatedly stabs one of the aggressors with his dagger while dodging crossbow bolts fired by another brigand. Seeing that his chances of survival are getting lower with each second, he desperately decides to charge the crossbowman. Wounded brigand siezes the chance and delivers a powerful haymaker which knocks the Penderton senseless.

(We've also played session 4, so either someone writes the recap or I'll do it...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom