Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Majestic OD&D Campaign

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Next Session
Time: ???
Place/Software: Maptools + Hamachi

Characters

Inanna, Fighting-woman 1 (Jarl Frank)
Ivar Ivarsson, Sorcerer 1 (Smashing Axe)
Penderton, Fighting-man 1 (Skittles)
Scribonius, Sorcerer 1 (Alex)

Session Recaps

I: Meet the Party
II: Dead Horses and Demonic Cocks
III: Lady, Anonymous Admirer and a Stubborn Smith
IV: Mysterious Strangers and Ruined Towers
V: Even More Mysteries and Ruins

Stuff Killed by PCs

Guard x3
Merchant x1
Undead horse x1

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I recommend the gamesurge server. Channel you can create yourself, just type #desiredchannelname on the mibbit screen or /join #desiredchannelname on the chat.

Also you should get some dice rolling bot, somebody in your group must know one for D&D.

damicore

Augur
Time seems ok though I'll be lurking and not playing as I'll leave on vacations in a couple of weeks. Also I don't know shit about D&D appart from what I've learnt through a playthrough of Champios of Krynn.
Is it possible to lurk? I don't know what playing actual tabletop is like and how serious could codexers be about anything.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Updated the list.

Your call, damicore. It's ok to lurk if you want, but you could just play instead. I don't expect the game to be like OMG SERIOUS DRAMA GOING ON and old school D&D is pretty much rules-lite, so players don't need to be bothered with remembering any rules or planning their character for 2 hours before the game.

Alex

Arcane
Sound great to me. The time is ok and I like where the house rules are going.

Oh yes, almost forgot, what do the spells look like? Are we using Carcosa spells?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Tigranes: Yes, i think so.

Alex: Carcosan spells may show up, see 1st post for house rules doc with spells. I think it's a reasonable middle ground between OD&D, Carcosa and Call of Cthulhu. Sanity loss will hopefully force sorcerers to use their spells wisely.

Tigranes

Arcane
Great, thanks. I'd put my name on the waiting list, but I've never played non-CRPG D&D.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Bros, it's not rocket science. Really.

Take a look at me. I didn't run a game in a long time. I didn't play, let alone run, any rpg session through irc. I played a lot of rpgs, but among all games I've had, I played D&D (3.5) like for one session. So, being an rpg virgin is kinda weak excuse :smug:

Fuck, I hope that my honest confession won't make current players run away in fear.

Nope

Liturgist
Bros, it's not rocket science. Really.

Take a look at me. I didn't run a game in a long time. I didn't play, let alone run, any rpg session through irc. I played a lot of rpgs, but among all games I've had, I played D&D (3.5) like for one session. So, being an rpg virgin is kinda weak excuse :smug:

Fuck, I hope that my honest confession won't make current players run away in fear.
Can't say i'm a fan of 3E myself.
IRC is pretty much just connecting to a server and just typing /join #random-ass channel and you're up and running.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Oh boy, I just came after seeing what Ulminati is doing with maptools in the Pathfinder LP. In need to investigate this software.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maptools is really useful to prevent combat from turning into a clusterfuck, and there are many resources to ease running a D&D campaign.

Also find a way to prevent players from drawing on the map or your nice green field will be filled with multi-headed dicks and swastikas in no time. :M

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I can do the 7th at 20:00 GMT +1 but not the 6th, I'm afraid 20:00 would be the earliest I'd be able to do it each time. I'll opt out if that doesn't work for the group.

As far as character concept is concerned, I'd like to play a skald/bard type character in a nordic style tradition. What ages could we start at that would be appropriate for our level?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm GMT +8 :( But I'll lurk. If possible.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I can do the 7th at 20:00 GMT +1 but not the 6th, I'm afraid 20:00 would be the earliest I'd be able to do it each time. I'll opt out if that doesn't work for the group.

As far as character concept is concerned, I'd like to play a skald/bard type character in a nordic style tradition. What ages could we start at that would be appropriate for our level?

Ok, if nobody is against it, we can set everything up for 7th at 20:00 GMT +1.

Skald seems cool. I'll try to post a little backstory of the campaign world so that you can think about details. I think that characters aging between 18-25 are reasonable.

I'm leaning towards Maptools. It has a lot of cool features, like ability to track HP or "impersonate" npcs using tokens/portraits. I don't know whether I'll draw full maps, but it seems easy to draw a battle scene on the fly if need be.

Also, I was thinking about a sandbox game without any overaching story which PCs would be forced to "beat".

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Count me in, if you would. I'm looking forward to a high-mortality, rules-light sandbox game.

Teepo

Scholar
I'd be interested in participating but i have no pnp exp at all.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
No problem Teepo. Also, I've cleaned the first post and added TEH BACKSTORY. Wohoo.

BTW, I need some bro to test Maptool with me. I want to check how connecting toghether and shit works in this software (i.e. wether we'll need Hamachi or not).

Alex

Arcane
Ok, I am thinking of playing with a sorcerer, previously the keeper of a library of some sort who eventually tried to make a copy of a book humans weren't meant to ever read. Not exactly the most original background, but I think it should work for the game, and we can expand on it if he manages to survive for more than a couple of sessions.

I have two questions about sanity points. First, is it possible to regain then in any way besides levelling? Second, do we get a table to see what happens when sanity hits 0 like with the hit points?

Also, I can test maptools with you, tough I am not that well versed in it. Which version are you using?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Ok, I am thinking of playing with a sorcerer, previously the keeper of a library of some sort who eventually tried to make a copy of a book humans weren't meant to ever read. Not exactly the most original background, but I think it should work for the game, and we can expand on it if he manages to survive for more than a couple of sessions.

I have two questions about sanity points. First, is it possible to regain then in any way besides levelling? Second, do we get a table to see what happens when sanity hits 0 like with the hit points?

Also, I can test maptools with you, tough I am not that well versed in it. Which version are you using?

Sounds cool to me and gives some nice possibilities to expand it later on.

Well, I didn't think about it. I'd say that you might regain one point if some extraordinary thing happens. Remember though, that your Sanity is hidden to you. I'm still on the fence with the amount of points, perhaps you'll get 2d6 and be able to reroll it on each level. There is no table when you hit 0 Sanity. All you need to know is that 0 = you loose your character. General idea is that sorcery is pretty fucking dangerous and if you start tinkering with it, then shit is going to hit the fan sooner or later. Btw, most alchemic formulae don't make you loose Sanity, so there's a possibility to play it "safe".

I have the latest version (1.3.b87). PM me when you're available.

NewFag

Educated
Definitely interested, but probably unable to participate due to time constraints. Try and keep the thread updated, seems exciting. Never played a single P&P game ever. Quite interested in the story, is it gonna feature tasteful rape? :smug:

Elzair

Cipher
I have been wanting to play OD&D for quite a while. I will try to come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom