Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Maia - colony management simulator with 70s sci-fi aesthetic

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
http://maiagame.com

Strange, I don't see any threads on this already.

Inspired heavily by the 70's Sci-fi aesthetic, Maia is a colony management simulator where you must keep your colonists safe, fed and happy. Liberally influenced by nineties god games, the game will have a dark sense of humour and more toys to play with than you can shake a Molyneux at.

Currently at 60,000 / 100,000£, and they still need another 40,000, with only 6 days to go.

Maia by Simon Roth - kickstarter

This all sounds kind of timekiller-ish, but they got me with the 70's scifi aesthetic thing. Since I'm a total sucker for practically every scifi movie from 1960-1980, I simply had to pledge the ten quid.

This Simon Roth sounds like a guy who knows what he wants to do. And, even though other Indie companies refuse to start working without cash advances in the range of 150,000 -1 million, he already has prepared some really nice ingame videos. He must have very rich parents or something.

And so, while codexia discusses away in Thorvalla threads, it's interesting to see many much better thought-out projects which are just making it / not making it by a hairs breadth!! Sui Generis comes to mind as well. Looks like they could need some shameless advertising!

So, please, please, please pledge!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It has been noted in the Kickstarter Watch thread since it was launched: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-58#post-2346789

I would love to see this and Sui Generis funded, but, unless something MAJOR happens, they don't stand a chance to make it. I have pledged £150 to Maia and £80 to Sui Generis ever since launch, but that's not going to make any difference, unfortunately. Among other things, I think a lot of retards are put off by the fact that for the British KS projects you have to enter your CC details on the KS page itself, instead of going through Amazon Payments. I've seen a lot of idiots complaining about not trusting KS and that that's the reason they haven't pledged to British KS projects.

Burning Bridges

It has been noted in the Kickstarter Watch thread since it was launched: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-58#post-2346789

I would love to see this and Sui Generis funded, but, unless something MAJOR happens, they don't stand a chance to make it. I have pledged £150 to Maia and £80 to Sui Generis ever since launch, but that's not going to make any difference, unfortunately. Among other things, I think a lot of retards are put off by the fact that for the British KS projects you have to enter your CC details on the KS page itself, instead of going through Amazon Payments. I've seen a lot of idiots complaining about not trusting KS and that that's the reason they haven't pledged to British KS projects.

With "don't stand a chance to make it" you're exaggerating a bit, because both projects could still absolutely make it if the pledges would increase in the last days, for example if all backers increased their pledge by 10 quid.

The credit card page put me off too, and almost kept me from pledging. The thing is, using the internet for over a decade has made me extremely sceptical. So when the new payment mode popped up without any explanation given (!), I had to check the new conditions before I would enter anything. It seems to be ok though, and I pledged for Maia because I believe everything is the same, except that it isn't handled by amazon. But all the same, it was a little bit of a put off at first.

Burning Bridges

I also see Kz3r0's thread is still running. To be honest I stopped following it a long time ago because it seemed to become a project to report each and every kickstarter, I wanted something that actually picks only the interesting ones (as I had pointed out at the very beginning of the thread).

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I also see @Kz3r0's thread is still running. To be honest I stopped following it a long time ago because it seemed to become a project to report each and every kickstarter, I wanted something that actually picks only the interesting ones (as I had pointed out at the very beginning of the thread).
It's a thread in which anybody can report any KS gameing-related project they find interesting. If you're interested in just one type of project, then you can check just that section of the OP.

kaizoku

Arcane
Like I said in another thread, I'm actually hoping this KS fails and he gives it another go in 1 or 2 months, and at that time he puts out a small demo.

The game has a lot of potential, but that doesn't mean it will be a good game.
(yes, this happens with all KS projects, may they be just talk or already have some gameplay video)

The same thing with Sui Generis, they have great tech, but so does Skyrim or Diablo 3 too.

Burning Bridges

With Sui Generis, I am getting the vibe that they got nothing but the tech, that's why I didn't pledge. But I do like the "generic" graphics a lot.

But this one seems quite real - the videos already create the right athmosphere, there is the right music, and all that.

What I also do like is that this guy has done the homework first, and doesn't bore me to death with vague ideas and promises to show real screenshots, in about 12 months and only if the internets provides 200,000$ up front.

Burning Bridges

I also see Kz3r0's thread is still running. To be honest I stopped following it a long time ago because it seemed to become a project to report each and every kickstarter, I wanted something that actually picks only the interesting ones (as I had pointed out at the very beginning of the thread).
It's a thread in which anybody can report any KS gameing-related project they find interesting. If you're interested in just one type of project, then you can check just that section of the OP.

Whatever rocks your boat. But I think squeezing the whole crowdfunding scene into just one thread is a bit too much, and I said so from the beginning. Perhaps a forum with only "upcoming games and kickstarters" would be nice, with only 1 thread per game allowed, and someone who merges them if necessary.

kaizoku

Arcane
Yeah, the music in Maia creates a great atmosphere.

That KS thread is good as it is. It's a "news" thread.
For worthy projects people will either start a thread about the game, or it will eventually pop up in the codex news.

skuphundaku

Patron
Could there still be some hope for Maia and Sui Generis? There seems to be a start of an increase in pledge amounts and backer counts that could mean a massive final push for both games:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1438429768/maia/#chart-daily
dailypledges.png

dailybackers.png

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis/#chart-daily
dailypledges.png

dailybackers.png

Overboard

Arcane
I hope Maia makes it, been backing them early on but disappointed by the early updates and general lack of progress in funding.

Fuck so generic.

Burning Bridges

They need 5,500£ per day which is a steep goal but not impossible.

I also think when a project gets so close to funding it should definitely work on the second try.

I mean this is quite a lot of money already: 60,000£ = 74,000€ = 95,000 US$ pledges so far.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Pledged 10 pounds. Only second KS I pledged since they actually look like they've got something.

Burning Bridges

Wow in the last two days pledges are 5000£ and higher. This is going to be very close. Although with just 3 days left they are really going to need 8000£/day now ..

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Good. I really hate to see these humble, yet promising projects fail... it's especially sad when they fail twice in a row.

In a world where AAA studios are allowed to crank out turds and still hang onto their day jobs, the little guys deserve a chance.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems like TotalBiscuites video gave them a boost.

I would pledge, but only if one of the 5 or 7 pound options became available. 10 pounds is too much for me right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom