Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i think i should have plenty of worthless crap i am willing to throw in your beggars hat.

send me your username via PN
(along with what you need/want, i have just too much to make it all tradable)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Forge works on Android, but I don't have a device good enough to run it well. Probably any recent phone or tablet should be good enough, though.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There have been some interesting leaks:
kozilekthegreatdistortion.jpg
wastes.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg

6th type of mana? Forced colorless? It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

deuxhero

Arcane
Does an Android phone have Java installed by default? I'm not putting that shit on my PC because Adobe is security hole inc, but if the phone (which I barely use for anything but calls) has it by default I'll try it.

edit: Wait, Java isn't adobe, it's just shit.

Also playing random Manalink stuff. What's a good way to stop a mono-white Samurai tribal deck from being fucked over massively by burn spells?

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Does an Android phone have Java installed by default? I'm not putting that shit on my PC because Adobe is security hole inc, but if the phone (which I barely use for anything but calls) has it by default I'll try it.

What, you mean for Forge or what?
If yes, you don't need Java or whatever, you just install the Forge app.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
wastes.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg

6th type of mana? Forced colorless? It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

So... run another type of land that doesn't help you cast most spells, thus making your deck clunkier in order to play your 10 mana win condition.

I'm sure that there will be some dumb control deck with this shit that barely ekes into T1, but it seems pretty weak overall.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
wastes.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg

So... run another type of land that doesn't help you cast most spells, thus making your deck clunkier in order to play your 10 mana win condition.

I'm sure that there will be some dumb control deck with this shit that barely ekes into T1, but it seems pretty weak overall.

Phage, I am disappoint. The best theory so far is that "diamond mana" is colorless mana. As in, you need sources that produce colorless mana specifically to cast them.

That would make the system pretty backwards compatible.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
wastes.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg

Phage, I am disappoint. The best guess so far is that "diamond mana" is colorless mana. As in, you need sources that produce colorless mana specifically to cast them.

That doesn't change what I said. You'll still have to clunkify your deck with a colorless mana generator(s) in order to play this 10 mana wincon. Unless they're reprinting PrimeTime, this shit looks pretty weak; though I'm sure some controlfags will find a way to make it work.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
this shit looks pretty weak

Ah, you weren't talking good/bad design but weak/strong. In that case, Ulamog isn't the shiznick either. The ramp deck that plays him is decidedly tier 2. I suspect that if their intention is to have Eldrazi be a part of the strongest decks in the meta, it won't happen until later down the line.

Hardly much incentive to play colorless spells when the mana enables to you play whatever you damned well feel like.

EDIT: Also, the word from my dirty Commander-playing friends is that their has been outcry for a basic colorless land for a while, since currently you can't play colorless Commander decks. I don't give a toss since I hate Commander, but it does bring in cash for Wizards, so...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Ah, you weren't talking good/bad design but weak/strong. In that case, Ulamog isn't the shiznick either. The ramp deck that plays him is decidedly tier 2. I suspect that if their intention is to have Eldrazi be a part of the strongest decks in the meta, it won't happen until later down the line.

Hardly much incentive to play colorless spells when the mana enables to you play whatever you damned well feel like.

EDIT: Also, the word from my dirty Commander-playing friends is that their has been outcry for a basic colorless land for a while, since currently you can't play colorless Commander decks. I don't give a toss since I hate Commander, but it does bring in cash for Wizards, so...

I admittedly haven't really touched MTG in a a while now, (I did one battle for zendikar draft and hated it), but I have to admit that this guys seems much stronger than that Ulamog. He refills your hand after entering, and theoretically protects himself with the counterspell ability (though it's pretty RNG whether he does)

Ultimately tho, these nigs just look like trash next to Emrakul.

But yeah, that's actually a really good point on the EDHfags. I completely forgot about that format, and you're probably right that this is an excuse to give them colorless lands (and get them to buy boosters)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
wastes.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg

Phage, I am disappoint. The best guess so far is that "diamond mana" is colorless mana. As in, you need sources that produce colorless mana specifically to cast them.

That doesn't change what I said. You'll still have to clunkify your deck with a colorless mana generator(s) in order to play this 10 mana wincon. Unless they're reprinting PrimeTime, this shit looks pretty weak; though I'm sure some controlfags will find a way to make it work.
With the current painlands, if <> just means colorless it would be incredibly easy to cast since it would effectively make your painlands tricolor.

I really don't know what <> means. From a rules perspective, the simplest would be that it is simply colorless, and (#) starts meaning generic mana only (currently it pulls double duty). However, this would be weird from backwards compatibility.

It could also be a straight up "6th color". This would be weirder though.

I would not be surprised to learn what it is is disappointing as hell. That seems to be wizards thing when it comes to cool ideas lately :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I admittedly haven't really touched MTG in a a while now, (I did one battle for zendikar draft and hated it)

That surprises me. It's the most "advanced" normal set we've had in a while. You can't just throw a bunch of good cards together, cards that seems shitty on the surface are required by the best decks (like a 1/2 that drains for 1 when you play an Ally, a 1/2 flyer for 2 that mills them one and exiles, or even the 0/6 wall for 2 which is a good 5th or even 4th pick in two decks). Meaning your first 6 or 7 decks will probably turn out pretty shit. I like the format. It's not original Rise, Innistrad of Invasion block, but then again, what is?

, but I have to admit that this guys seems much stronger than that Ulamog. He refills your hand after entering, and theoretically protects himself with the counterspell ability (though it's pretty RNG whether he does)

If he is stronger, he'll see play. Ulamog is making top 8 showings somewhat routinely, though like I said, it's a tier 2 deck.

Ultimately tho, these nigs just look like trash next to Emrakul.

He does, but I'm fine with that. I played back during rise, and I think Emrakul was quite disappointing in gameplay, for both players. His powerlevel meant you never got to see his abilities in action, the game was over when you cast him.

Conversely, when the ramp deck plays the new Ulamog, there is actually a chance you can still turn things around, even after a swing. It's a huge pay-off for ramping, but not an auto-win. I like that.

But yeah, that's actually a really good point on the EDHfags. I completely forgot about that format, and you're probably right that this is an excuse to give them colorless lands (and get them to buy boosters)

Commander is becoming bigger and bigger. I keep trying to tell my playgroup that they're part of the problem when they bust out their EDH decks, but they never listen :negative:

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I do think they really, really dropped the ball with Eldrazi in BFZ though. They're just big guys without green mana requirements now. You can make an Eldrazi 1/1 with Endless One. Without a signature ability, there's nothing special about these huge void monsters. They're just big dumb guys.

So while drafting BFZ is pretty sweet, it would have been much sweeter if they hadn't bombed on Eldrazi.

Roobenator

Novice
Hey people. I have about 6,000$ worth of cards according to deckbox value calculator. I've only listed my eternal staples there. Due to an event earlier this year, it seems I have to sell my collection. Is there a price spike on on legacy/modern cards around some important events coming next year?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Ask around MTG Salvation. Sell most expensive cards seperately or as playsets via their trading forum, don't compromise on price. Sell less expensive staples in group or even bulk for expedience. Selling off all cards seperately/as playsets is a nightmare.

The above is based on experience selling off $3000 worth of cards, YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom