Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't really like banners, but I thought about trying to make something with them for a fun standard constructed deck.

They just seem too.. slow? Not that a banner can't work but you'd have to have some awesome combo planned for it to make sense i guess.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I don't really like banners, but I thought about trying to make something with them for a fun standard constructed deck.

They just seem too.. slow? Not that a banner can't work but you'd have to have some awesome combo planned for it to make sense i guess.

Yeah, considering they're too slow for limited, they're almost entirely useless in constructed - even for casual.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
en_i8avzfap3r.png
targeting
en_b0tvibfd9i.png
which was put into graveyard with
en_uaeht1tvvh.png
. SO GUD

Shit, I might actually build this deck.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
What level of competition are you aiming for with this deck, kitchen table? fnm? 5k/scgopen? PTQ?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What level of competition are you aiming for with this deck, kitchen table? fnm? 5k/scgopen? PTQ?
Do you think it could actually have any chance beyond kitchen table and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe FNM? Because I doubt it. That's ok for me though, I think reanimating stuff like Atarka and Medomai is cool enough that I don't necessarily need to win a lot of games. If you or anyone have any ideas for how it could be made good though, I'm all ears. I am admittedly bad at constructed.

635561392685196367.jpg

Fucking hell. Again?
Duh, blue is the best color.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's card disadvantage. You risk just providing your opponent with a better creature.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It's card disadvantage. You risk just providing your opponent with a better creature.
I think part of the reason why some people are mad is that you can use this on say, your goyf after it's been targeted by a removal spell, in which case you get to "counter" the removal spell and get a 2/2, all for 2 mana. That's a pretty narrow usage though, and most of the time it is card disadvantage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not saying the card is terrible. I know all too well not to make value judgments on constructed playability ;)

Just saying it has some pretty clear disadvantages. Doesn't counter Crackling Doom, by the way.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Do you think it could actually have any chance beyond kitchen table and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe FNM? Because I doubt it. That's ok for me though, I think reanimating stuff like Atarka and Medomai is cool enough that I don't necessarily need to win a lot of games. If you or anyone have any ideas for how it could be made good though, I'm all ears. I am admittedly bad at constructed.

Realtalk? It probably wouldn't win an FNM unless you got really lucky or had a really weak playing field.

If you provide an actual decklist I could give some feedback.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Real scumbag move on Wizard's part to make this utility creature a mythic.

95256.jpg

Preorders are up to $22. If it's used during the first SCO or PTFRF it will easily stick around $30 for a month or two.

Shit like this is part of the reason why I've been gravitating away from MTG.

It's no better than Pongify and that was a situational inclusion for Mono Blue.

I'm butthurt about this (and Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, and especially things like Snapcaster Mage, Delver of Secrets, Curse of Swine or True Name Nemesis) because they way they completely violate the color pie on the same stupid pretenses that Blue cards always seem to; "lulz, flavor!". Yet strangely none of these mistakes ever trickle into other colors in nearly the same frequency.

Obviously it will be shit in Standard, and probably a mid-pick, at best, in Limited (where literally Grey Ogres aren't anything to sneeze at), but things like these essentially shore up most of the weaknesses that Blue has in other formats, most notably Highlander variants. Well at least mono-Blue EDH doesn't have access to an effective suite of Instant-speed kill spells...oh wait, now they do! So when's Red going to get some countermagic, bounce, and efficient card selection/draw? In the name of :balance:?

Edit: Yeah, that guy, Monastery Mentor, and Nu-Figure of Destiny at Mythic is a crock. All reasonable utility cards, none too overpowering in Limited, and printed just to be chase Mythics. Meanwhile there's a 6-power, evasive double-striker at Rare, sure to completely wreck quite a few draft games.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Oh, ok. I thought you meant it was too strong. I can see where you're coming from, but the idea is that blue can "polymorph" enemy creatures, which seems to fit with the color pie.

Yeah, that guy, Monastery Mentor, and Nu-Figure of Destiny at Mythic is a crock. All reasonable utility cards, none too overpowering in Limited, and printed just to be chase Mythics. Meanwhile there's a 6-power, evasive double-striker at Rare, sure to completely wreck quite a few draft games

Yeah that's why im salty. Didn't realize the warden is mythic - that blows too. At least the warden isn't as much of an easy auto-include. As someone who primarily plays Abzan, I can tell you that I'd rather be playing a siege rhino or something instead of powering him up. I guess having a late-game mana sink is nice, although a lot of people are already running Soul of Theros for that reason - and we've already got Fleecemane Lion who serves a similar purpose to the Warden (stop early aggression and can scale into the game) - and Fleecemane isn't even that popular anymore.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Realtalk? It probably wouldn't win an FNM unless you got really lucky or had a really weak playing field.

If you provide an actual decklist I could give some feedback.
Yeah, I tried theorycrafting a decklist before, but I couldn't think of one that was halfway decent, even if that was before atarka got spoiled. I then started considering a villainous wealth deck, but those seemed to basically wind up being shitty midrange decks or shitty control decks. Still, I think that would be more legit than whipreanimator.dec.

I doubt warden will see much play. He's too liable to get blown up by a removal spell when his power up trigger is on the stack. Same as figure of destiny.

Jeskai has gotten two huge powerhouse mythics, I expect those colors will continue to reign in standard.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So, I made 2 decklists for what I might play when FRF comes out. The first is an artifact deck for which I have basically none of the cards. The other is a deck for which I have most of the cards, and is based on an older deck. I'll paste them here in case anyone is interested

artifact decku

4x chief engineer
4x renowned weaponsmith
4x scuttling doom engine
4x soul of phyrexia
4x illusory angel
4x ornithopter

2x ghostfire blade
4x ensoul artifact
4x dissolve
2x divination

Lands
4 darksteel citadel
4 radiant fountain
16 island

Ramp decku

3x prophet of kruphix
2x kruphix, god of horizons
3x villainous wealth
3x hydra broodmaster
4x wildcall
3x kiora, the crashing wave
2x genesis hydra?
1x see the unwritten
4x kioras follower
2x sylvan caryatid
2x torrent elemental
3x dig through time
2x dissolve
2x sagu mauler

Lands
2x polluted delta
4x opulent palace
2x shrine of mystery
2x swamps
5 island
9 forest
Also I'd like to predict that dragons of tarkir or next block will feature the return of the Eldrazi and then zen fetches. Even if it doesn't, it will probably feature some artifact/colorless matters theme. If the zen fetches are in dragons of tarkir, they will also be futureprinted for Fate reforged.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Ah. Well, I don't know how competitive your local meta is, but you'd have a fair bit of reworking to do to claim an FNM around where I live (admittedly, the level of competition near me is surprisingly high, so my view is likely skewed). For kitchen table I'm sure your friends would rather you be playing one of those decks than my tryhard Abzan midrange monstrosity ;)

Jeskai has gotten two huge powerhouse mythics, I expect those colors will continue to reign in standard.

Jeskai isn't actually performing that well. The huge influx of Mardu midrange and Abzan whip kind of pushed them out of the scene. If you look at GP and 5K/SCO results, it's barely placing at all aside from the occasional Jeskai Ascendency Combo (and let's be honest, ascendency combo is just a die roll to see if you get off or not)

It might get stronger with the new cards though - we'll have a good idea by March.

Caim

Arcane
871488.png

Run in a Sliver deck with Ghostflame Sliver. Wipe the board, charge in and beat your opponent to death.

Also combos with itself: trigger the ultimate, get one in your hand, drop it, sac the one you just triggered, activate your new one's first ability.

Slam bam thank you ma'am.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
What format are you talking about Caim?

As for discussion on Ugin as a card, I don't really see it fitting in anywhere other than UB control where he can function like a perilous vault + win con. Unless of course some Urza land like nonsense is introduced

Caim

Arcane
A format that allows him I guess.

I'm a kitchen table player, nothing resembling FNM or higher ranking stuff.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Ok I'll hijack the topic from the latest spoilers a bit.

So I finally did it. After losing like every draft like a retard I managed to 3:0 one today.
Here's the draft:
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=hmpk8

and the deck:
cb9Cj4q.png

And the result:

u65qEdg.png

I didn't lose a single game with this deck and it was quite fun to play. I didn't get to cast the claws even a single time though...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yuup, now THAT's a strong KTKx3 deck. Only questionable include is Barrage of boulders mainboard (since you can't really trigger the faulter effect)

Your link doesn't work btw

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Yuup, now THAT's a strong KTKx3 deck. Only questionable include is Barrage of boulders mainboard (since you can't really trigger the faulter effect)

Your link doesn't work btw

It works, but you have to log in. No idea if it was like that before.

About barrage of boulders. I won 2 games with it. I had the 2 canyon lurkers and also several 3/3 creatures that became 4/4s with feat of resistance or defiant strike and also the bloodfire expert with the prowess trigger. It was a bit flakey, but it was either this or a second arrow storm and I really didn't want that many 5 drops in this deck. I did sided it out for a second arrow storm 1 time.

I'm really not a fan of valley dasher. What on earth made you run 3 of them?

Usually I would agree with you, but in this hyper aggressive deck they were really really good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That's only 40 cards? Is that some special kind of tournament deck count?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom