Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering: Duels: Origins

Andhaira

Arcane
vampiregrave Since Planeswalker cards are included now for the first time ever in MtG, is Svassh Tzam (sp?) included? Any link to the card so I can read his stuff?

I know ST from the old MtG Ice Age comic I used to read in the 90s. Loved that character, was quite spooky at the time. :lol:

Andhaira

Arcane
Then I learned you only get bonus packs for finishing Gideon's campaign, none of the others. lol.

Are you 100% sure about this and that your game didn't bug out? I am also a couple battles into another campaign after Gideon (the pyromancer chick) and the only reason I am doing it is for the free 3 packs.

And yeah the game is mind numbingly sloooooooooow. Though you can turn off beginner tips and the link in the options so you don't keep getting annoying tooltips all the time.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Planeswalkers have been in the game for like almost a decade now, lol. And no, there was never a PW card of him. The only PWs in this game are those 5 faggots in the story mode, and for some reason they're all these gimmicky flip cards.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Are you 100% sure about this and that your game didn't bug out? I am also a couple battles into another campaign after Gideon (the pyromancer chick) and the only reason I am doing it is for the free 3 packs.

And yeah the game is mind numbingly sloooooooooow. Though you can turn off beginner tips and the link in the options so you don't keep getting annoying tooltips all the time.

I'm positive. You still get the gold, but Gideon is the only one with packs. (or at least liliana doesnt have them)

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
This will always be the only non-faggy flip card:

Huntmaster-of-the-Fells-Ravager-of-the-Fells-Dark-Ascension-Mythic.jpg

(And the flip Garruk was cool too)

GET OFF MY LAWN, GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

Andhaira

Arcane
Planeswalkers have been in the game for like almost a decade now, lol. And no, there was never a PW card of him. The only PWs in this game are those 5 faggots in the story mode, and for some reason they're all these gimmicky flip cards.

I read in an IGN preview of the game that 'for the first time in the game Planeswalkers will be added as minions/cards' or something like that. Why would they say that?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played for a couple more hours. Finished Liliana's campaign. The final battle was kind of interesting, killing the big demons and stealing them from the graveyard. Then I learned you only get bonus packs for finishing Gideon's campaign, none of the others. lol. I'm surprised they bothered making shitty CGI scenes at the end of each campaign. I'm just imagining Mark Rosewater jerking off to the story mode, deluding himself into thinking they've created some amazing literary masterpiece. "THE VORTHOS CROWD IS GONNA LOVE THE FINAL BATTLE WITH THE DEMONS" - I would be surprised if he hasn't said that on his blog already.
Except it's not good. The entire Liliana campaign is basically fan fiction. She's an oldwalker, so immediately upon activating her spark, she should be godlike in terms of power level. But no, she spends the next two fights against a lolrandom village witch, and a lolrandom angel.

The nongideon campaigns give you exactly enough gold to buy one booster.

And the fact that you are only allowed one of each mythic, two of each rare, 3 of each uncommon means that the top tier decks will be more restrictive than block constructed. I think magic can be fun, even with weaker decks, if they have crazy (bad) synergies to try and grind out value. Liliana's campaign deck is a good example of this. But you can't actually build that it seems, at least not with the cards I have from starter pack + 7 boosters.

I read in an IGN preview of the game that 'for the first time in the game Planeswalkers will be added as minions/cards' or something like that. Why would they say that?
This is the first time planeswalkers are in a duels game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You can't even choose what lands you tap.

If there are multiple ways of paying for a card you can press Left Control while the card is highlighted to switch between them. :avatard:
What I can't figure out is if there's any way to drop a card after you pick it. I keep picking card from my hand but then can't put them back so they get played.

you can only complete the daily quests with decks made with the deck wizard

So that's still in. So that's intentional. So it's not a bug.
I suppose it's an attempt to level the playing field for new players or something.
Well, at least you can do them against the AI.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Jaedar in case it wasn't obvious I'm agreeing with you that the story is retarded.

Are you serious that you can only put 1 copy of a each mythic in your deck?!?? What?! What the fuck is this abomination of a game? lmao

Because this is the first time that they are actual creatures that flip into a planeswalker. The real planeswalker cards were simply cast for a certain amount of mana and started off as planeswalkers. They're trying to do some stupid ass "GOTTA IGNITE THEIR SPARKS" bullshit that makes for underwhelming cards.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Also got the reconnection error at one point - my internet was totally fine but I lost out on credit/gold for a couple of tutorial things.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Are you serious that you can only put 1 copy of a each mythic in your deck?!?? What?! What the fuck is this abomination of a game? lmao

1 mythic, 2 rares, 3 uncommons, 4 commons.
Yeah.

I got 1 mythic in one of those 3 free packs, btw. I wonder if they're set to give you one.

vampiregrave

Educated
vampiregrave Since Planeswalker cards are included now for the first time ever in MtG, is Svassh Tzam (sp?) included? Any link to the card so I can read his stuff?

I know ST from the old MtG Ice Age comic I used to read in the 90s. Loved that character, was quite spooky at the time. :lol:

Nope. Full card list here.

Andhaira

Arcane
If there are multiple ways of paying for a card you can press Left Control while the card is highlighted to switch between them. :avatard:
What I can't figure out is if there's any way to drop a card after you pick it. I keep picking card from my hand but then can't put them back so they get played.

Yes use right click. It's very clunky and you have to do it multiple times/spam right click until you get a pop up toolbar that says 'cancel' or 'withdraw' or something like that. You can even do it after putting the card on the board, before your timer runs out.

But if you play a land card I don't think you can still do it; haven't tried it out though

J1M

Arcane
The saddest and most confusing part of this game's problems is that it is version six of Duels of the Planeswalkers. There is no reason for a lot of these problems to exist after seven years of development.

vampiregrave

Educated
The saddest and most confusing part of this game's problems is that it is version six of Duels of the Planeswalkers. There is no reason for a lot of these problems to exist after seven years of development.

I have to agree with that, especially considering that they removed some functionalities that were available in previous versions. Another mistake is the lack of cross platform support, and they don't even plan to release a Mac or Android version.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Huh, OK, I got a 60 gold quest and this one is to win 4 duels with a deck made in the deck builder. So it looks like the other quests indeed can only be completed with deck wizard decks.
I guess this is the equivalent of the 100 gold quest in Hearthstone?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Toady I thought to myself "You know, Magic Duels is pretty shit, but maybe I'll have a more palatable quest and after building my own deck can come up with something fun. I mean, at the end of the day, I'm just a huge whore for card games, even if they ream me in the ass."

So I logged on. "CANNOT CONNECT TO MAGIC DUELS." slam the retry button 10 times. My internet connection is totally fine.

Okay then, fuck you too.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I got Liliana, which so far has been an awesome card for me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Connection seems better but it still disconnects sometimes. Don't know if they actually fixed anything or there are just less people playing than in the first days.
Otherwise nothing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nevermind, couldn't connect at all today.

Bright future ahead, I feel.:kingcomrade:

I hear that during the time it was iFag only it had the same issues. You'd think they have figured out how to fix it since then, but nope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom