Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If it's going to be only as f2p as Hearthstone is I don't think I'm gonna bother with it. Don't want to grind like that anymore. Guess I was spoiled by Eternal and in particular Elder Scrolls: Legends which was the CCG I played lately. They both have great reward systems, making you feel like you actually progress and you can fairly easily gain good cards and build competitive decks that are not exclusively aggro shit.
Meanwhile HS throws you in disgust some 40 gold per day.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I wish I would get my beta invite soon. I was in ixalan prerealease and played duels and I still missing my invite.

:negative:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They just gave away about 70 more packs, after the 75 you get when you start.

Which will all be lost when the inevitable wipe comes.

Just wanted to complain too.

v1rus

Arcane
I also applied, but i doubt im gonna be getting the invite anyime soon since I only played duels for less than a month. Im in no hurry tho, since i wouldnt play, before the final wipe anyway.

Zer0wing

Cipher
At least it's a fun ride while it lasts. Can't expect same generosity at release, even though Magic deck are far bigger and require bigger collection.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just someone let me know when this is finally open to the Public. I'll probably play the crap out of this....

illuknisaa

Cipher
At least it's a fun ride while it lasts. Can't expect same generosity at release, even though Magic deck are far bigger and require bigger collection.

((((Fun ride))))

The current meta is extremely stale with basically every other deck being RG dinos and the rest are merfolk and vamps. I also wouldn't say wotc is very generous when arena is at least 600% more expensive than duels.

Zer0wing

Cipher
((((Fun ride))))
Remember the post was written before the first wipe when wotc needed to test the shit out of the main game. Devs provided like 140+ packs alone. I haven't touched the game since the wipe to check out how generous Arena is now. It's better than closed beta Hearthstone, for sure!

The meta comment though, it's true.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
After they wipe it's still better than what HS was when I quit.
They're testing the rewards now so it could change either way.

da_rays

Augur
Aw yeah , in close beta ( has a bunch of other people too im sure )

16 packs for the starting collection ( 4 packs of the latest 4 sets im guessing , been out of the loop for a while in MtG )

heh, first tought after opening a few pack:"Lifelink , best ability , period"

illuknisaa

Cipher
Life gain has usually been a fairly mediocre/narrow ability and is only good in limited and against burn. It's especially bad when it's stapled onto a single use effect like renewed faith but hilariously in the old arena meta (with only ixalan block cards, I don't know how the meta is with amonkhet) the best deck was UW sanguine sacrament. The deck had your usual UW stuff with removal and card draw and the wincon was one or two copies of Sanguine Sacrament, a gain x life spell.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435185
Card Name: Sanguine Sacrament
Mana Cost:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Types: Instant
Card Text: You gain twice X life. Put Sanguine Sacrament on the bottom of its owner's library.

What made SS good was that there very few answers to the card and outside of counter spells they were pretty bad. After you gain 100+ life it's very hard for normal beat face decks to really kill you and because SS puts itself back to the library you wouldn't have to worry about decking yourself. People were asking to ban SS at the forums. Funny stuff.

da_rays

Augur
Life gain , yeah , Lifelink , totally different. Like i said , been out of magic for a while and a few card standed out , Legion's landing and some various shit. Always saw Lifelink > other ability ( first strike , flying etc etc with of course some exceptions ) , and so many white vampires.

Also , LOL @ that Sanguine Sacrament deck , you dont make friends with thoses kind of deck :lol:

J1M

Arcane
This is going to be garbage because Wizards is greedy and is bad at software. Sorry.

Gerrard

Arcane

((((Fun ride))))

The current meta is extremely stale with basically every other deck being RG dinos and the rest are merfolk and vamps.
How is this different than standard in normal Magic ever since they went full jew with yearly sets? The decline of MtG is undeniable.

Erikolaz

Educated
Before you decide to give MTG Arena a try, consider that you'll be dealing with the Blue. :M

spectre

Arcane
I got into beta, been playing before the previous update.
Biggest problem I'm having so far is that WotC are keeping the lid on whatever the fuck they want this game to be. Will it be another Duels of Planeswankers one block spiel? Will it replace Magic online? Nobody knows.
I am kinda hopeful for the project to take off since they've started with Ixalan and added earlier sets - Amonkphthkp and Hour of Devastation. Supposedly, it's going quite fast as they came up with some kind of a parser tool which automatically converts card text into working code.

Not surprisingly, the game feels and plays a lot like Eternal. It's definitely much better than Magic Duels, it's smoother and runs quite well. Sometimes it goes tits up with elaborate combos with lots of triggers, but the devs are on it.

Biggest bummer so far is the economy. You start with a preconstructed deck in each color (some more shite than others). You get daily quests to earn gold, earn gold and card rewards for the first 4 wins each day, after that you get a random common each win (with chance to upgrade to higher rarity). You also randomly get wildcards (redeemable for cards of specific rarity) from boosters.
All in all, you're getting half a booster worth of gold every day, a guaranteed rare each day together with a bunch of commons and uncommons. There are also weekly handouts of boosters so all in all you're earning something close to 1,5 booster per day.

Since the previous wipe, I've been playing for 1-2 hours a day, and I've been able to build one 80% functional tier 1,5 deck and two semi-functional tier 2 decks which is not bad for doing the daily grind.

I don't mind it that much, as long as the playing field is level, but the progress can be a bit slow at times, especially if you don't know what you're working towards, or change your mind along the way. Biggest problem is that it leads to a pretty stale meta since most people are railroaded into samey decks and there's little room for the more exotic strategies like milling.

da_rays

Augur
Before you decide to give MTG Arena a try, consider that you'll be dealing with the Blue. :M

That brought back a lot of memories , I remember my first raping vs a blue control type of deck. You dont make friends with thoses . 4x counterspell , 4x arcane denials , 4x Force of will . Hated thoses ''No'' deck with a passion .

spectre

Arcane

Jeebus... no true counterspell for 2 in standard, closest thing we got is a pirate tribal mana leak wannabe, and people are still butthurt about blue when it's not just neutered but also declawed?
Current MtgArena "standard" pool has a shitton of creatures with uncounterable embalm and eternalize so if you're triggered by blue, that's your fault entirely.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Blue is annoying as usual but beatable. Play 4 duresses and you're halfway there. Still, blue players are basically cheating (I get it, it's the best color, yadda yadda. Still, you're a pussy)

Jason Liang

Arcane
Life gain is underrated, its easy to convert life to cards with something like Sylvan Library or Griselbrand

I'd rather pay 4 life for a card than 4 mana (or even 3 mana which is the standard rate).

Also, Ashes to Ashes, Snuff Out, etc...

Green has always been broken. Channel + Fireball -> the broken card wasn't Fireball. Even Summer Bloom got ban-hammered in Modern, for shitssake.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
life gain is useless 99% of the time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom