Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Berekän, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Berekän Arcane Patron

Berekän
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    With the corpse of Magic Duels still warm, Wizards doesn't want to miss on the sweet sweet F2P market and they're releasing a, yet another, F2P online version of the game.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...d-know-about-magic-gathering-arena-2017-09-07

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. RuySan Augur

RuySan
    Parrots:
    Eternal brought MTG formula much further on the context of a digital game.

Having simultaneous turns is a headache rules wise, so I really doubt this will play better than any of the current games.

I was a beta tester for mtgo, and strangely the game just got worse and worse over the years. So yes, I'm not really hopeful for this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    so they're catering to kids
    that went well for WOW and other games

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Eternal started doing what MTG should have BEEN doing a long time ago....

But MTG just has too much of a following (and brand name recognition)....

^ Top  
  5. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Because card games aren't for kids:roll:

So this is this MtG Next that Eterna developers have been working on? It looks a bit like their piece of work.
    What surprises me is that cards do not do a 90 degree rotation for tapping, I thought that shit was sacred, copyrighted and patented to kingdom come.

I'm barely interested in it because of the developer involved. They seem to know their job much better than Stainless, who developed the previous duels games.
    Keeping my figers crossed so that they can implement a few different game modes. 2HG would be nice, functional draft would be the bestest thing ever.

Hope they manage to avoid the pitfalls of the previous iterations and don't dick around changing the rules.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Parrots:
    plenty of kids playing poker
    and i guess kids are those with the money to spend on stuff

yes, i see how it makes sense

^ Top  
  7. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    It's okay to admit that you're talking about toys for children.
    Yes, sometimes the toys get expensive and the children get bigger.
    It's a fucking vidya game forum, noone's gonna judge ya. It's all friends here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Parrots:
    it was really never about kids. complex interactions and specific rules are a little too much for a kid's brain. I'd say it more for teenagers onwards. Not my point though: Magic's "core" community has always been young adults and making it "fast paced and easier to understand" and yadda yadda yadda basically means taking away that complexity that made the game great. They already did that years ago, turning the control-aggro-combo metagame to an aggro-sometimes control-but-mostly-aggro-and-it-must-have-creatures-in-it-anyway metagame. I guess it wasn't dumbed down enough yet and this is an attempt at that.

Heh, I guess I'm just an old crank, I'm just glad i was able to see Necropotence summer and the Urza nonsente (still my favorite block with tempest) and all that shit. I tried getting back into it but it felt... boring.

^ Top  
  9. da_rays Learned

da_rays
    Parrots:
    So...thats a new MtG game that is gonna be Twitch friendly? Nothing more added to the table? If so , meh , I have a hard time getting back into MtG with all the new cards games out there. And playing boardgame and some of the newest digital card game have ''spoiled'' me . Anyone feeling Devil advocate? Why should I play this instead of X digital card game?

^ Top  
  10. illuknisaa Learned

illuknisaa
    Parrots:
    Apparently Arena is made in unity.

System requirements:

• decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    Clumsy as hell that is, controls are unintuitive, yep that's Magic Duels Again. Posting this as beta-tester.
    And it shows.

^ Top  
  12. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Just got in the beta as well. Didn't get the chance to build a deck yet.

Will break NDA as soon as I can. :happytrollboy:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    :bro:
    I'm always 5-7 cards short on OP decks. Fuck this RNG factor.

^ Top  
  14. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    OK, did a couple of games.

Seems fine to me. It's very early beta, though, with placeholder graphics and stuff like that.
    And it's really not Duels.
    Duels was absolute shit. This at least took lessons from the other games and it plays (in terms of UX, of course) pretty much like Eternal.

^ Top  
  15. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    To anyone saying this is Duels: it's not. The good news is that it's way more like "real" Magic. The bad news (depending on who you are) is that they're looking to supplant MTGO with it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Parrots:
    Any concrete info on that, or just an assumption?

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    They specifically say in the FAQ that it will not replace Magic Online.

It will most likely replace Duels, and good riddance.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Speculation grounded in quotes from them. They said in an interview with MTG Goldfish that MTGO is not sustainable in the long-term future and when they announced Arena they called it the "future core of digital magic." They never called Duels core.

In addition, Duels didn't compete with MTGO at all since they were so obviously different products. This seems like it's going to compete with MTGO directly. Hell I might switch myself even, I'm playing more Eternal than MTGO these days anyways.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    Everything can change, the greed of WotC and their "paper" Magic department has upredictable side effects and sank alot of digital adaptations prior to Arena.

^ Top  
  20. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    By the way, if this will be successful it will probably mean the end for Eternal.

It's not like it's swimming in players as it is, and with a potentially good Magic client it will have even less of a chance to attract players from there.
    Their attempt to mix HS with Magic seems doomed to fail.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    They seem to be making money - there's a new set on its way. So I wouldn't count them out just yet. As I understand it they don't need many players to make a turn-around since Eternal is actually very cheap to make.

Their Draft is downright excellent. You can feel LSV's hands all over that shit.

^ Top  
  22. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    Played a few more games. The game is painfully slow and unresponsive sometimes for no good reason and even disconnected one time. I guess windowed mode with alt-tabbing is not favored by bare Unity engine game.

Also, need. Crafting. Badly. So many unplayable mythics and so short on MVP commons.

^ Top  
  23. UglyBastard Arcane

UglyBastard
    Parrots:
    Any infos about the pricing model? I guess it's not going to be f2p viable, considering it is MtG after all.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    I don't know anything yet. You can only buy packs with gold so far and it costs 1000 gold per pack.
    I needed to do 3 quests to buy a pack. I'm guessing rewards will be balanced in the future. Game is really early beta. Many things are undecided.

There are placeholders for some crystals stuff which I assume will be for crafting.

Regardless, I'm not paying anything. I didn't pay for any digital CCG and I'm not going to start to. If it's unplayable as f2p then I can just stop playing. It's not like there aren't free Magic clients.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Parrots:
    Imho, if they wanna compete with other ccgs (mainly HS), and they most prolly are, they are gonna have to make it f2p friendly, even at Hearthstones level, at worst.

That aside, lack of Voice acting (and special animations, to a lesser extent ) for cards seems like its gonna hurt the game. Perhaps they are gonna record some retroactively?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)