Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mage's Initiation: Another Quest for Glory-like Hits Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Himalaya Studios; Mage's Initiation

In today's daily Kickstarter news, a game that Hero-U wishes it could be! (Okay, so I'm half-kidding.) Mage's Initiation is a 2D Quest for Glory-like Adventure/RPG hybrid by the same team that did the VGA remakes of Quest for Glory II and King's Quest I-III. They seem to have made quite a lot of progress on the game already, too.

An enchanting Adventure/RPG set in a magical realm. Master spells, battle foes, and quest forth in this full-length game.

9611.jpg

Mage's Initiation is a Role-Playing / Adventure Game hybrid, very similar in style and execution to Sierra On-Line's classic Point-&-Click Quest for Glory and King's Quest series. It maintains all the charm of classic and timeless adventure games of yesteryear while adding 21st century innovation to the mix - like multiple game interfaces, and a free-range magical combat system!

We're all very big fans of the adventure genre here at Himalaya Studios, and we feel that Sierra's games really hit their peak in the early 90s. We're working hard to provide a nostalgic experience, reminiscent of that golden era of 2D Sierra adventures circa 1993-1994.

Mage's Initiation has a medieval / fantasy setting and it features multiple playable character classes, spell-casting, and an open-field magical combat system, complete with equippable items and monster loot drops!

Choose Your Class

Earth, Air, Fire, Water... the choice will affect your game-play. From combat strategy to spells and puzzles, each class provides a unique set of challenges. With four ways to live (and re-live) the adventure, you're sure to discover great replay value!​

There are even some $6 early bird pledges still available at the moment of writing! Check it out.

Also, you can vote for the game on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125180296.

Thanks ghostdog and FeelTheRads!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Congratulations Mage's Initation people, your game is the first game of 2013 I've backed.
Only 6 dollars, too :D

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I've had my eye on this. Combat looks promising, better than the clusterfuck that was QFG combat.

Only issue I had with this is that you can only choose mages: I want more and different classes, including Paladin. Also, more importantly, I hope they don't use the same Sierra stupid humor, and one kill puzzles with retarded solutions. I also want a more mature storyline, with less emphasis on slapstick and tongue in cheek.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
These adv+RPG hybrids have so much potential it's not even funny, especially when you consider the ridiculously low amount of examples. I'd say, add a great turn based combat system, C&C, one of those classic context sensitive pointers with look, use, talk, etc, a fairly good setting and atmosphere, and you'd have a game better than the vast majority of both RPGs and adventures out there.

Combat does look like it's weak points though, like it was for QFG. Still looks fun, but still running about while casting is not as much fun as standing and blasting away to oblivion. One of the reasons is real time combat + small screen area, so enemies are in your face fast.

UnknownBro

Savant
So true.
Not my kind of game, the combat gameplay seems to be very arcady but those backgrounds sure looks amazing, plus the art style is beautifull and $6... backed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nonpracticing robes.
funny thing, the portrait makes me think of 'party'... but nah, that be too revolutionary.

Tigranes

Arcane
Damn, saw this while in a meeting, and now the $500 are all gone. I'll be watching like a hawk for pullouts...

flabbyjack

Arcane
Choose Your Class

Earth, Air, Fire, Water... the choice will affect your game-play. From combat strategy to spells and puzzles, each class provides a unique set of challenges. With four ways to live (and re-live) the adventure, you're sure to discover great replay value!​
Locked door? Burn it to cinders.
Pesky NPCs? Encase them in a tomb of solid stone thousands of miles below the planet's crust.
Are the villagers presenting puzzles instead of coin? Time for another flood, or just magick the air out of their lungs and watch them writhe.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Love the artwork, I'll have to check out the pitch. I liked their King's Quest remakes better than the originals so they have that going for them too.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
This is definitely what the Coles should have made. I should give this game all the money I gave to their stinker...

By the way, Tom Hall's game failed because he's stupid. Why did he think anybody would fund it? It literally brings nothing exciting to the table except a game with bad art by one of the guys who made Commander Keen.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
By the way, what's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus about the King Quest remakes that these guys made? Are they worth it? I know that for the last two KQ games, they added a lot of new content.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
By the way, what's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus about the King Quest remakes that these guys made? Are they worth it? I know that for the last two KQ games, they added a lot of new content.

Can't remember which KQ3 remake was awesome but I think it was the other one, not theirs. Heard their QFG2 remake was good though. Hope to hear some more opinions.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
They've done great work with the remakes. The graphics are beautiful and the voice acting excellent and very professional. The KQ games haven't been altered much, but in the QFGII remake they did revamp the combat and they did a good job there. This shows at least that they can create some interesting gameplay.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
And here I thought kk boom was over...
Pledged more than a minimum pledge for the 1st time, really miss the rpg/adv hybrids, a pity they were never properly explored on the AAA market.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They're great (fuck the purists, KQ2 needed more of a plot)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom