Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mage's Initiation - A Classic Sierra-style Adventure/RPG

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That's a lot of words for an adventure game, even for a QFG-like. For instance, this (seemingly overinclusive) text dump from QFGIV comes out to ~188k words. (Going off the same site, QFG 3 is ~122k, QFG2 is ~92k, and QFG1EGA is ~53k.) Dunno how much was in Heroine's Quest.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, QFI was pretty big and I only get a count of like 120k or so. (The TRS file is 525 pages) Seems ambitious to say the least! Well, guess we'll keep waiting.

Bt

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
The cynic in me suspects that they may have gone a bit masturbatory in the world-building on this one...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/2119058

Whole Lotta Talkin' Going On

Hello, Magically-inclined people,

We just wanted to provide a quick update on where things stand in the voice implementation schedule.

NPCs Got the Gift of the Gab

It's most pleasing to say that we've FINALLY hit the major milestone of getting all of the NPC characters' voices recorded and completely lip-synced. That equates to a total of 3,247 lines; a process that took almost one full year! With that task now squarely in the rear-view mirror, we've started concentrating on slaying the final beast - D'arc's lines. At this point in time we're still preparing his script and haven't actually started recordings yet. However, that's on track to commence within the next few weeks. D'arc has lines. A LOT of lines. 5,712 lines to be precise. So MANY lines that it's taken several weeks just to organize his script document, add all the directional notes, and put everything in the right contextual order. It's almost like proof-checking a short novel. (By comparison, a typical NPC script takes around an hour to compile and organize). Thankfully, not all of D'arc's lines will need lip-syncing, as many of them (such as narration descriptions) will merely be thoughts in his head that don't require his mouth to move.

It's anticipated that D'arc's lines will take another two to three months to record, lip-sync, and implement into the game. After that's been sorted, we'll need to do a few final rounds of beta testing to check that everything's working properly, tidy up a few remaining bugs, and to catch any voice files that may have been missed or that might require retakes on account of having the wrong inflection or tone.

Aside from that, only the cutscene intermission movies still need to be finalized by having the final character voices and lip-syncing added, as well as some editing adjustments to make the timing cleaner and snappier. We're excited to be nearing the light at the end of the tunnel – it's approaching like a Flame Bolt to face... only less cauterizing.

Surveys Reminder
A quick reminder about rewards surveys: We sent them out to coincide with our last update(on Oct 11th, 2017), so if you missed that and you're a backer at one of the rewards tier levels, please check your e-mail accounts/spam folders from around that date and fill the form. The form makes it very easy to update your address details if you've moved houses since initially filling it out.

When all's said and done, it looks as if we're on track for a Q3 or Q4 2018 release! We'd like to thank everyone again for your incredible patience (and sometimes eager impatience) and for bearing with us through this lengthy development cycle. You'll have the game in your hot little hands before too long!

Sincerely,

The Himalaya Team

Good lord 15 months on voice acting

SerratedBiz

Arcane
FUCKING voice acting and FUCKING lip-syncing. Maybe 1 in 20 games gets the former right and the latter must be the most mindnumbingly boring work ever conceived by man.

Now watch me click and skip every voiced line because I can read 50 times faster than what it takes me to listen to it.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, voice acting in games is tough, especially indie games. I enjoy it and I enjoy having it in my games, but I don't like to waste too much time on it. You're never going to please everyone, no matter how hard you try, and as an indie game/small budget, you're never going to get amazing talent. You do the best you can, have an option for the player to turn it off and that's it. Also, fuck lipsynch, really. Only a small amount of people give a shit, and they're likely the same people that would complain about talent, so who cares. Animate them saying cantaloupe rhubarb all the time and it usually works just fine. Otherwise, it's a massive time sink for like, no payout.

Bt

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voice acting is cool when done right... but the coolness factor only lasts for about an hour, after that I will routinely skip the voice actors because I read much faster and don't like waiting for the voice clip to finish.

Sizzle

Arcane
When great dialogue is combined with great VA - like Kreia - you want to listen to all of it, no matter how fast you read.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Adventure game voice acting peaked with John Rhys-Davies as the narrator of Quest for Glory IV.

Voice acting can be huge for immersion and character. For example, I never skipped any of Tex Murphy's voiced dialogue (well, mostly monologue) his delivery is half the charm. As always, execution matters; Better to not have something at all than to half-ass it.

Yeah, but being ludicrous cheesy-sleaze is part of the charm of that series. Also, those are real actors and actresses, for the most part... of the regional community theater variety, at any rate.

Generally speaking, when adventure games produced by indie studios these days include voice acting, it typically sounds like they rounded up all the dweebs from the local community college anime club and paid them in Yu-Gi-Oh! CCG booster packs.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I still can't believe they never changed the name D'arc. Somewhere between Fryhtans in Seven Kingdoms and D'Compose from Inhumanoids. :/

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I still can't believe they never changed the name D'arc. Somewhere between Fryhtans in Seven Kingdoms and D'Compose from Inhumanoids. :/

If you want your kid's nickname to instantly become "Dork" in school (or wizard training, for that matter), name him D'arc.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The cover art seems more 2012 than 2018.
header.jpg

QFI seems more ironically self aware ...
cover.jpg

[EDIT:

Interestingly, they've removed her from the website, so perhaps it's just a matter of bringing Steam up to speed.

Slideshow_Mages.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
MRY They've come a long way:

Many years back I occasionally posted on the Himalaya forums, and I distinctly remember an undercurrent of hurt feelings that basically no one cared about Al Emmo and that it was a massive flop.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, they've given her the Nikolai Yezhov, so maybe they are going to redo the assets.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Haha, yeah, QFI's cover and design was a total nod to Frazetta and Vallejo art. It was definitely more tongue in cheek and paying homage to that kind of fantasy style. So funny that 2012 vs 2018 is just boob removal....

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming early 2019: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/2306816

Six years of development, wtf

Beta Begins

Welcome, Backers of Magic and Mystery, to yet another update!

We’ve hit our next major milestone and we’re eager to tell you all about it.

It Speaks! It’s Synced!
After a very long and arduous process, it’s most pleasing to now say that ALL the voice and speech audio for Mage’s Initiation has FINALLY been completely recorded, lip-synced, and is functional in the game! We’ve recently moved the game from alpha into beta and have launched a new beta testing phase (more on that below). We’re currently doing some final retakes and going through all the scenes in the game, listening to the voices, and adjusting them for timing in their respective scenes (i.e. so that they match up with musical cues and so that the pauses between dialogue lines with other NPCs sounds natural). We’re fixing any remaining bugs we find along the way, too.

Beta Testing Commences
The latest beta version (v 1.3) of Mage’s Initiation is currently live on Steam and ready to be tested. This build has all the character voices included.

It has been quite a long while since the alpha phase was active, so we wanted to do a general call-out to remind all eligible backers (i.e. those who backed at the $70 Shaman tier or higher) to visit the Himalaya Studios forums, log into the Mages Beta Testing Forum, and report any bugs/issues you find.

Please note that (unlike previous alpha builds) in order to test this new beta, you must enter a special password into Steam. You'll need to visit the Himalaya Studios Beta Testing Forum to obtain this password and further instructions. Otherwise, your Steam version will only function as a demo of the game's first task.

If you're at an eligible tier and didn’t previously validate your Steam key and are looking for it, please check your e-mail inbox and junk/spam folders. Search for an email from Humble Bundle dated between September 10th 2016 and January 8th 2017. If you're having difficulty, try performing a search for "Humble" or "Beta Testing", which should help.

If you haven't done so already, you'll also need to register an account at the Himalaya Studios Forums so we can grant you access to the private beta testing forum - where all bug reports and communications take place.

Release Date
Now, to the question on everybody’s lips? Exactly WHEN is this ^#$#@ game going to be released? Well, dear backers, we’re glad you asked! Originally, we had slated the game for a Q3 or Q4 release in 2018. However, now that we’re rapidly approaching the end of the year when things are starting to heat up with all the AAA titles during the pre-Christmas rush, we decided it would be prudent to hold off and release in early 2019 instead.

While the game will certainly be polished and ready for release within a month or so, we really don’t want to just rush it out at the most hectic time of year and see it get buried as a result. No, we must be very strategic about this and carefully consider how to best approach our PR campaign. This will go into action in October, and a preview build will be sent out to interested gaming media and press. After investing so much time developing this game over the past decade, we really want to maximize its chance of doing well. For that to happen, we need to allow ample time for reviewers and previewers to fit it into their busy schedules and give it a proper amount of playtime (it’s a big game!). So, yes, early 2019 is the time to look forward to. We haven't revealed a specific date yet, but that will be announced as we get closer.

Steam and GOG Status
Steam

We have a shiny new “Coming Soon” Steam store page for Mage’s Initiation! Check it out here and be sure to add it to your wish-lists. Even though you’ll already be getting a copy via Kickstarter, apparently adding it still helps with Steam’s algorithms and such. Please get your buddies, cohorts, and frenemies to add it too, if they’d be into this sort of game!

GOG

We had hoped to have an announcement about Mage’s Initiation’s availability on GOG for this update. We contacted them after they showed initial interest, but haven't heard back from them as of yet. In the meantime, you can continue to vote for Mage’s Initiation via the GOG Community Wish-list and post comments about why you believe it would be a good match for inclusion on the GOG store.

Shoutouts
We haven’t done any shoutouts for a while, but there are a couple of interesting projects to mention at the moment.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

Lori and Corey Cole, of Sierra On-Line and Quest for Glory fame recently released their first crowd-funded game “Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption”. It’s an RPG in the spirit of Quest for Glory and features a similar stats system as well as many throwbacks and references to their classics. Hero-U is also currently on sale at Steam with a 35% discount. Featuring the trademark storytelling from the Coles, and artwork from Mage’s Initiation artist JP Selwood (who worked on both games), this is definitely one to check out for old Sierra fans! You can get it here.

Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG

Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye Games has teamed-up with sometime Rock Paper Shotgun contributor Richard Cobbett to create Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG. Described as being “a brand new urban fantasy RPG”, this title is sure to have all the hallmarks and trimmings one has come to expect from Wadjet Eye’s titles and should be a real treat. There's less than 20 hours remaining in their Kickstarter campaign and they're so very close to the finishing line. Head on over to their page and get involved, if you’re so inclined.

And that about ties up all the loose ends for this go-around. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for interim updates, if you don’t already, and stay tuned for more details on the upcoming release as we finish up beta testing and approach year’s end.

Until then, stay Magical!

The Himalaya Team

Last edited by a moderator:

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While the game will certainly be polished and ready for release within a month or so, we really don’t want to just rush it out at the most hectic time of year and see it get buried as a result. No, we must be very strategic about this and carefully consider how to best approach our PR campaign.

:argh::argh:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Six years of development, wtf
If you followed their previous efforts to make a similar sort of game (QFG2 remake) the timeline isn't really all that surprising, even with a bit of funding. That said I do expect the game to be good based on their track record.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, well, at this point, I'm kinda glad it took so long, because it'll be nice to have another QFG-like game to play. If this, QFI and Hero-U all came out at the same time, we'd all just be sitting around wishing there was more, I'm sure.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye Games has teamed-up with sometime Rock Paper Shotgun contributor Richard Cobbett to create Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG.

Wait, wait, wait. If Richard Cobbett is working on this game, then who the hell is supposed to write the obnoxiously pedantic criticism of it when it finally comes out?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Criticism? Richard has called Dave the greatest video game writer of our generation.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Criticism? Richard has called Dave the greatest video game writer of our generation.

That may well be, but on the whole, I'd say that Cobbett comes in second only to Johnny Walker in the contest for most obnoxious Rock Paper Shotgun critics. But hey, one man's opinion. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Coming January 30th.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._coming_Jan_30_new_trailer__preview_build.php

So, you want to be a Mage? Then mark your calendar for the January 30 release of Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements -- a lovingly crafted old-school adventure/RPG ten years in the making.

New trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKW-32Qki_k

Steam page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/270610/Mages_Initiation_Reign_of_the_Elements/

Want to cover Mage's Initiation?
A preview build is available now, and we'll have full review copies in early January -- write to press@himalayastudios.com to request either or both! (Windows platform only for now.)

About Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements

Sixteen-year-old D'arc has spent most of his life confined to the Mage's Tower, studying elemental magic under the instruction of Ele'Wold's most accomplished scholars. Now his skills will be put to the test with three quests across a mystical land he knows only from stories and dreams.

But something's rotten in Ele'Wold: the realm's once benevolent winged guardians have turned hostile and restless redcap goblins are on the warpath. Can D'arc pass his initiation *and* rescue a kingdom on the brink of chaos?

Mage's Initiation is an adventure/RPG hybrid inspired by the venerable Quest for Glory (a.k.a. Hero's Quest) and King's Quest series by Sierra On-Line. It's the second commercial adventure game from Himalaya Studios, who have also released four free remakes of classic Sierra games under the moniker Anonymous Game Developers Interactive (AGDI).

Features:
  • Choose from four character classes -- Fire Mage, Air Mage, Water Mage, or Earth Mage -- each with unique magical spells and puzzle solutions.
  • Explore a vibrant fantasy world with hand-drawn graphics reminiscent of the Sierra, LucasArts, and Revolution adventure games of the early 1990s.
  • Select between three point & click interfaces: a Sierra-style icon bar, a LucasArts-style verb coin, or a streamlined compact UI.
  • Run into combat for an RPG experience, or avoid it for pure adventure.
  • Automatically gain new strengths, spells, and abilities as your character improves -- no stat grinding required!
  • Get your money's worth: branching storyline and optional side quests provide replay value.
  • Fully voiced and lip-synced.
Mage's Initiation Development Background

In August 2001, the team behind Mage's Initiation released their first game, a free remake of Sierra's King's Quest I with VGA graphics and a point & click interface. In the nearly two decades since, they have created three more Sierra remakes (King's Quest II, King's Quest III, Quest for Glory II) and one commercial adventure (Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine) -- each a labor of love meticulously developed by a small core team focused on recapturing the magic of the games they grew up playing.

Development of Mage's Initiation began in 2009 after a community poll identified an adventure/RPG as the type of game their fans most wanted. In 2013, the team raised over $125k on Kickstarter to supplement the development.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom