Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
But the best parts of Mafia 1 were the linear corridor shooting parts, whereas the open city map was mostly there as a hollow backdrop for travelling from one place to another, preferably staying within the speed limit and definitely not crashing and losing health on the way. It did have a few decent car chases, and the Wanted system was probably the best I've seen in games to this day, but driving around was never nearly as exciting as the intense shootouts the game had. Extreme Free Ride felt more like an afterthought and wasn't really in line with the rest of the game.

Mafia 2 made better use of the open world, but it was still pretty shit as a free-roaming game because of the tight mission-based structure and general lack of things to do aside from robbing stores (which was completely unnecessary most of the time), and for some reason it was also very lacking in the way of car chases and other driving-based challenges. You were again mostly left with the story and the shooting parts, neither of which was anywhere near as good as in the first game. The linearity of the shooting sections wasn't the problem, it was just that cover shooting has always been and will always be shit and never carries any real tension because you can sit behind a box and observe the moves of your enemies without ever exposing yourself to danger unnecessarily.

There was also something in the way the shootouts of Mafia 1 were set up, usually having a rather low number of enemies to make the scenarios seem believeable and in tone with the game's story. Killing people usually brought more trouble and generally carried a lot of weight story-wise, putting Salieri in trouble or at least bringing anguish to Tommy's character, whereas in Mafia 2 you were killing hordes of cops almost right from the start and no one seemed to care, which made it much weaker and less consistent as a story-based game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Oh right, this game is on the Gamescom Codex list too. If you have any questions for the Mafia 3 devs (or the old dev, Daniel Vávra, though he'll be interviewed for a different game), post 'em here.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh right, this game is on the Gamescom Codex list too. If you have any questions for the Mafia 3 devs (or the old dev, Daniel Vávra, though he'll be interviewed for a different game), post 'em here.

What kind of level of interaction can we expect with the open world, be it during missions or free roaming, in comparison with Mafia 1 & 2?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Mafia 3 is only relevant if the same people are making it as mafia 1.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
When I think of fitting protagonists for a mafia game, a black vietnam vet instantly pops to mind for sure. :incloosive:

86b85612e688bbca7326f00be04f5f0307fcad98.jpg__620x348_q85_crop_subject_location-1078,548_upscale.jpg
54b780bd33448f17f84a072e6fb891d46c35734d.jpg__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg
MafiaIII_Cemetary.jpg

MafiaIII_CisternShootout_02.jpg
MafiaIII_FrenchWard.jpg
MafiaIII_CisternShootout_01.jpg

MafiaIII_Harrassment.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
American Gangster: The Game?

They could have also done the classic era:

hivemind

eh admittedly I expected another "old school" Italian mob thing but this new "setting" looks also pretty interesting and it's nice that the series doesn't forever remain in the same place but attempts to look at the mafia phenomenon more widely

I like the sort of pathetic "muh family" feel from the protagonist

I wonder what it's going to be like playing a top dog kind of a guy establishing his own thing compared to the underling that you were in the previous games

also I hope that the full blood negro gangsters will be racist to the mixed race protag

overall I'm keeping my eye out of this as much as for any other interesting popamole story/action game

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
-Joe's fate will be explained, Vito returns
-protagonist: Lincoln Clay, complete orphan, Vietnam veteran
-you will fight agains the Italian mob
-you will get help from Cassandra (the afro woman) and Burke (man with moustache) as well as the returning Vito Scaletta
-you will be able to call them via a phone booth, as well as other kinds of support (snipers, drive-by)
-no coop
-your partners will only help in special missions, besides that, you are on your own
-late 60s / early 70s atmosphere in New Orleans (French Quarter, Jazz Bars, Rollings Stones)
-graphic is not as good as it looks in screenshots, textures are weak, lighting is good, facial animations seems unfinished (early gameplay version)
-"more focussed" than the Open World of GTAV
-side activities like clearing a gang hideout
-choices affect the world: do you let a informant run or not
-you will "conquer" the several districts of the map and then assign parts to administer to your friends, which one you choose will have different effects
-no "deep" economy system like in The Godfather 2
-you can shoot AND drive
-three-parted health bar with each individual bar regenerating over time
-different pistols, revolvers. shotguns and mps as weapons, as well as grenade(launchers)
-you can still sneak
-brutal takedowns are confirmed
-you can only carry two guns
-cannot pull bodies out of the way
-destructible environments
-AI does not seem stupid
-red arrows mark enemies

/edit
sorry for mistakes, this was typed in hurry and is my first thread :'D

hivemind

also youtube comments

What wrong with a black main character?. Vito in mafia 2 wasn't white so tell me wat wrong with a black character?. Also are you deaf when the guy said he was mix but viewed as black by the majority of the city.

How the fuck was Vito not white?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I... don't even... Itallian... isn't... white? WORDS DON'T HAVE MEANIGN!ANAS

bloodlover

Arcane
Oh god the music is amazing! Donnie Brasco was the first thing that came into my mind with the setting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Protagonist is so comically over the top edgy I don't even. It's like they mixed Batman with Vin Diesel and a bag of razorblades.

On the other hand the 60s and 70s cars were by far the most sexy of any era. Also music.

Without Vavra it's gonna be another bland, soulless open-world trudge with great cars and music.

Starwars

Arcane
This is a weird series to me. A lot of people love the first Mafia but I thought it was a pretty shitty game with some extremely nifty ideas attached to it. I liked the atmosphere and setting of it, the old cars that handle like shit and the "realism" of it. And it fucking had Django Reinhardt on the soundtrack. But it never really took off as a game for me. Mafia II just moved in the wrong direction and was just meh... with no real defining features to it. I suppose the setting was pretty nicely done as well but it felt way more popamole rather than developing the the ideas of the first game.

I'm guessing this will be the same. Having a game with a black protag in a time where racism is prominent is an interesting idea but... That voice. It's just all wrong. It really is a shitty Vin Diesel type of deal.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trailer looks good although the main char is too ripped for my taste. Moves like the Hulk, lel.
Could be great if they don't overdo the muh niggah gangster shit like in GTA San Andreas (still the best GTA, but not because of the main char and story), but I guess the black populace wasn't as embarassing culture-wise back in the the 60s, so there is hopw.
He was Sicilian.

trueromance.jpg
Indeed. White niggers, all of them.
03tr.jpg

Last edited:

milsiming

Literate
Typical Modder
So this is a game were black people kill white legitimate businessmen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom