Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Felix

Arcane
Seems like every game that have something remotely resemble stealth segments need to have eagle/detective vision shit nowsaday.

tormund

Arcane
It's not like they are expensive nowadays.
One issue with Mafia 1 and 2 is that you'll have to track down retail copies if you want to go with the "legal" route, since 2K removed both games from digital distribution and there are no signs that they plan to bring them back anytime soon...

I agree about Mafia 2 btw, it's absolutely worth playing. It looks really gorgeous to this day too.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Seen the gamespot preview and guess what.. Main goon has Intel Vision (tm) which is totally not eagle vision or batmanvision or Mordorvision or Hitman Instincts. The difference is you have to earn the vision in the area first!!

I also like how you can call in favors/ call for a car delivery out of the blue, because cell phones. Having this work only when you use one of gazilion payphones would not be console enough.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

I have a distinct feeling running a red light and speeding won't be a punishable offence in this city. And if I want "60s movie car chase action feel" I'll go play Driver:SF, the game that has whole premise build around it.

Fucking MafiaAnotherGTAClone III, dunno what is more terrible - the fact that they lost the Mafia feel or that they did it to become GTA clone which history has proven to be an invalid road to take (GTA clones never fare better than GTA).

In my experience, you can either have a big open world full of filler, or a smaller world which feels more hand crafted. Skyrim had an open world and lots of useless filler, Witcher 3 was a rare example of an open world where every sidequests felt distinctive, and even fetch quests were well masked through the premise and writing. Of course, Witcher 3 had enough generic collectibles/chests/monster nests, for those who like this kind of thing.

Funny because when I played it Witcher 3 seemed like a needlessly bloated open world filled with useless filler content everywhere not unlike Skyrim. Sure, main quest and sidequests felt more distinctive from a storytelling, if not gameplay, perspective than anything in Skyrim, but contracts and treasure hunts were extremely boring repetetive filler, on top of that you had a fuckload of question marks on map that usually hid completely unexciting locations with yet more boring loot. I have seen nothing in that game that improved upon typical boring shit when it comes to "open world" aspect. Not to mention that damn near every single quest involved using Batman vision to scan for glowing clues around you, that's Assassin's Creed level of repetitive tedium right there.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
witcher 3 had fillers like every openworld, but it was so strong on narrative that every filler felt less boring

witcher 3 had fillers like every openworld, but it was so strong on narrative that every filler felt less boring

"Every filler" would involve treasure hunts and reaching every stupid question mark on map, explain to me how strong narrative improved that crap.

Mazisky

Magister

"Every filler" would involve treasure hunts and reaching every stupid question mark on map, explain to me how strong narrative improved that crap.

What i mean, is that even a "pick that in that location, bring it back" can be less boring if there is a nice narrative behind, and witcher does this better than Skyrim, DAI and others open world rpgs

Lot of witcher quests are crap from a gameplay aspect, but they were saved by the narrative behind them

The same quest done on Witcher 3 and Skyrim feel more interesting on the first cause of that

It's like Wolfenstein the new order and the average FPS...despite being both shoot>move next room>shoot, the first was good cause of likeable characters and nice narrative

Ofc this doesn't work for those folks who give a shit about narrative and are only interested in gameplay but there are lot of multiplayer games for those

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Mafia 2 is alright if you accept that it's not really an open world game.

I'm playing it now. The chapters are alright, but there really isn't much else to do. Worth the $8 I paid for it, but if you planned on running through the city to find something to do, you'd be wasting your time. At some point in the game, I found a kid shining shoes. I had my shoes shined. I lost a dollar. Nothing else happened, and my shoes didn't really look much cleaner.

The missions aren't bad, but it's a big beautiful world full of nothing. All I can think of is that they must have had one hell of a project team that could stop development at a point when it came to adding background color and still deliver a good game. I'm hoping that is what happened. If they planned the game like this, I'd be really disappointed.

Also, the "Find the Magazine" mini-game is pretty good.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Racism as a mechanic in Mafia 3

"Historical pulp fiction"
“There are a lot of changes,” says Bill Harms, lead writer on Mafia III. “If you go from what the world was in the ’50s to 1968, like, just that era of social upheaval, legal upheaval, the civil rights act, things like that. This is the very first inklings of [other] criminal elements [that] were going to change [the landscape]. In the ’40s, it was World War II, and then later on it was the Korean War, [then the] Vietnam [War]. 1968 is when all of those guys started coming home [from Vietnam] and going, ‘You know what? Maybe everything you’re seeing on the news isn’t jiving with what we saw,’ and that’s when you really started seeing protests and things like that.

“I wouldn’t say it’s the polar opposite, but it is significantly different for how society viewed a variety of things from war to rights for African-Americans, rights for women, and even the music. You hear Paint It Black from The [Rolling] Stones, that is a song of the ’60s, or what I consider one of the best songs ever written, Fortunate Son. That song would not have been written in 1952. In the ’60s, that song perfectly encapsulates what is going on in a lot of ways.”"Recapture the term 'mafia' to mean more than just the Italian mob"The ’60s was also a crucial time for the Italian Mob, as this was the time period when organised crime families started to rise from other cultures. “We know that by the late 1960s, the Italian Mafia was not only being challenged by the government and the public, but also other criminal groups,” says Blackman. “Setting the game in 1968 allows us to explore that part of the Mob’s history and recapture the term ‘Mafia’ to mean more than just the Italian Mob.”Racism as a mechanicAs for threats outside of Clay’s new blood-drenched crime family, these stem from obvious places, such as rival gang members, to the less obvious historically confronting realities of being a person of African-American appearance living in the Southern United States.

“The behaviour of pedestrians and NPCs – certainly not everywhere throughout the game, but in large sections of it – there are places where if Lincoln looks out of place and seems out of place, people will react to that,” says Blackman. “There are places you can go that just being there is an offence and will elicit a police response. We aren’t so naïve to think that a single game could cure racism, but if we can get the player to think, ‘Why am I being treated differently here than in other parts of town?’ then I think we’ve done something worthwhile.”

It’s a landmark gameplay mechanic for the franchise, whereby the player will be treated as hostile just because of the colour of Clay’s skin. As a gameplay mechanic, it extends beyond the usual suspicious treatment that comes when a player enters a clearly flagged out-of-bounds area. As a narrative tool, it creates a powerful empathy between player and protagonist, bringing into question the notion of police and even civilian innocence when racist beliefs result in negative treatment, even when the player may not be doing anything illegal at the time.Racist slurs are also thrown at your character, and black people will be harassed by police in some areas.

''But if we can get the player to think, ‘Why am I being treated differently here than in other parts of town?’ then I think we’ve done something worthwhile.”

I can barely wait to see the portrayal of white people in this game and how the black dude is a criminal with the heart of an angel,can't fucking wait nigga!

A horse of course

Having the world actually react plausibly to the protagonist's race in that period is pretty cool. But then that last line indicates they're going to handle it in the dumbest, most hamfisted manner possible to make sure everyone knows they totally don't endorse racism guys. If you don't have the courage to faithfully represent a time period without apologizing for it, just fuck off back to your safe space.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Racism as a mechanic in Mafia 3

"Historical pulp fiction"
“There are a lot of changes,” says Bill Harms, lead writer on Mafia III. “If you go from what the world was in the ’50s to 1968, like, just that era of social upheaval, legal upheaval, the civil rights act, things like that. This is the very first inklings of [other] criminal elements [that] were going to change [the landscape]. In the ’40s, it was World War II, and then later on it was the Korean War, [then the] Vietnam [War]. 1968 is when all of those guys started coming home [from Vietnam] and going, ‘You know what? Maybe everything you’re seeing on the news isn’t jiving with what we saw,’ and that’s when you really started seeing protests and things like that.

“I wouldn’t say it’s the polar opposite, but it is significantly different for how society viewed a variety of things from war to rights for African-Americans, rights for women, and even the music. You hear Paint It Black from The [Rolling] Stones, that is a song of the ’60s, or what I consider one of the best songs ever written, Fortunate Son. That song would not have been written in 1952. In the ’60s, that song perfectly encapsulates what is going on in a lot of ways.”"Recapture the term 'mafia' to mean more than just the Italian mob"The ’60s was also a crucial time for the Italian Mob, as this was the time period when organised crime families started to rise from other cultures. “We know that by the late 1960s, the Italian Mafia was not only being challenged by the government and the public, but also other criminal groups,” says Blackman. “Setting the game in 1968 allows us to explore that part of the Mob’s history and recapture the term ‘Mafia’ to mean more than just the Italian Mob.”Racism as a mechanicAs for threats outside of Clay’s new blood-drenched crime family, these stem from obvious places, such as rival gang members, to the less obvious historically confronting realities of being a person of African-American appearance living in the Southern United States.

“The behaviour of pedestrians and NPCs – certainly not everywhere throughout the game, but in large sections of it – there are places where if Lincoln looks out of place and seems out of place, people will react to that,” says Blackman. “There are places you can go that just being there is an offence and will elicit a police response. We aren’t so naïve to think that a single game could cure racism, but if we can get the player to think, ‘Why am I being treated differently here than in other parts of town?’ then I think we’ve done something worthwhile.”

It’s a landmark gameplay mechanic for the franchise, whereby the player will be treated as hostile just because of the colour of Clay’s skin. As a gameplay mechanic, it extends beyond the usual suspicious treatment that comes when a player enters a clearly flagged out-of-bounds area. As a narrative tool, it creates a powerful empathy between player and protagonist, bringing into question the notion of police and even civilian innocence when racist beliefs result in negative treatment, even when the player may not be doing anything illegal at the time.Racist slurs are also thrown at your character, and black people will be harassed by police in some areas.

''But if we can get the player to think, ‘Why am I being treated differently here than in other parts of town?’ then I think we’ve done something worthwhile.”

I can barely wait to see the portrayal of white people in this game and how the black dude is a criminal with the heart of an angel,can't fucking wait nigga!
So can the main player rape girls in this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom