Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember the driving race mission was harder than any shootout in the game :)
My god, before the patch that made it easier, I think people started downloading a save in which that mission was already completed.
I tried it some 20+ times, iirc, then finally managed to win by ramming all the other leading competitors off the road in the last corner and finishing the race virtually by my own.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How's the overworld in Mafia 3? The one in 2 felt really tacked on, selling stolen cars and robbing stores was pointless since you lost all your money during several points in the story, and all you could buy were guns that you were already given for missions. Granted the first Mafia didn't have much to do outside of the main storyline either except for those side missions the mechanic gives you, they were still a lot more memorable than anything in 2.

Vavra doesn't speak about what happened during the Mafia 2 development but my guess is he wanted to make something big and ambitious, maybe overly so (what with KCD being in its fifth year of development and counting), whereas 2K aimed more or less for a quick-ish and inexpensive cash grab based on a somewhat popular IP.

Not sure what was better. If Vavra stayed and was given a creative control we'd have probably got a much bigger, complex, memorable and expensive game. But with the GTA series hoovering up the market it's uncertain if 2K could recover the ballooned investment. Maybe the market is not big enough for two giant IPs.

Therefore I'm pretty certain Mafia 3 won't even try to be a GTA killer. Just something cheap and quick to capitalize on a popular genre.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
How's the overworld in Mafia 3? The one in 2 felt really tacked on, selling stolen cars and robbing stores was pointless since you lost all your money during several points in the story, and all you could buy were guns that you were already given for missions. Granted the first Mafia didn't have much to do outside of the main storyline either except for those side missions the mechanic gives you, they were still a lot more memorable than anything in 2.

Vavra doesn't speak about what happened during the Mafia 2 development but my guess is he wanted to make something big and ambitious, maybe overly so (what with KCD being in its fifth year of development and counting), whereas 2K aimed more or less for a quick-ish and inexpensive cash grab based on a somewhat popular IP.

Not sure what was better. If Vavra stayed and was given a creative control we'd have probably got a much bigger, complex, memorable and expensive game. But with the GTA series hoovering up the market it's uncertain if 2K could recover the ballooned investment. Maybe the market is not big enough for two giant IPs.

Therefore I'm pretty certain Mafia 3 won't even try to be a GTA killer. Just something cheap and quick to capitalize on a popular genre.

Czech 2K went under anyway, so I'd rather have Vavra-off-the-leash version of Mafia 2 kill the studio instead of Mafia 2 being forced into mediocricity with obviously cut content.

Either way it would end up with Kingdom Come kickstarter :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think there's a lack of buyers for GTA-type of open world games. They are too few and far between as it is for the market to be overcrowded somehow. I guess 2k just can't pull it off from development, design and team organization perspective, maybe they lack the sheer quantity of developers and designers that Rockstar can afford.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
mafiaCarPCSpecs-full.jpg

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-pc-system-requirements-revealed

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
  • INTEL CPU: I5-2500K
  • AMD CPU: AMD FX-8120
  • RAM: 6GB
  • AMD GPU: Radeon HD7870
  • NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 660
  • VIDEO MEMORY: 2GB
  • HD: 50GB (free space)
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
  • INTEL CPU: I7-3770
  • AMD CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz
  • RAM: 8 GB AMD
  • AMD GPU: Radeon R9 290X
  • NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 780 or GeForce GTX 1060
  • VIDEO MEMORY: 4GB
  • HD: 50GB (free space)

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking pretty good. I'm a GTX 780 owner, nice to see a 2-3 years old card in the "recommended requirements".

bonescraper

• NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 780 or GeForce GTX 1060
:lol: So i guess my 970 is the missing link here?

Let's be honest, the game doesn't look much better than Mafia II, and it looks significantly worse than GTA V.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have this model. There is no 780 with 4GB as far as I'm aware, unless they released that version later. I remember reading on guru3d that they intentionally didn't release a 4GB version in order to push people towards Titan.

50 GB HDD means high quality textures though, so I think it will be about GTAV level of graphics.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Yeah, it'd never been stated but you can clearly see cut content. I remember characters in Mafia II hinting at side jobs, kind of like the car stealing side job in almost every Mafia I mission, but nothing ever came of it.

GrainWetski

Arcane
50gb is massive? still? ...

For a game that looks 6-7 years old, it is. Nothing to justify the size.

Weird how we've had no actual leap in textures or graphics, but every other game became 5-10 times bigger in size over night. Almost like devs got lazy as soon as both consoles started using blu-ray.

Mazisky

Magister
Open world + hd textures + lot of cutscenes. If the game will be quite long, 50 gb seem fair

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So it has minimum reqs about the same as the recommended reqs for GTA V. Interesting.

No real need to guess, shortly after it was released people mined it looking for remnants of the various activities and whatnot hinted at in the initial previews. They found tons of stuff in various stages of completion. Some that would have only needed a couple more months for prime-time, others barely past initial coding. Some that would have expanded on existing activities. A small chunk of them show up in Joe's DLC, but nothing compared to the larger whole.

It started as one of those 'living world' type of games, where if you bothered to look into the nearby businesses and buildings you would find side-activities and whole quest chains. Kinda like a toned down version of Saints Row II, where even goofing off on top of a car had its own little score. Then 2k decided they weren't interested in the long-term and had them hack out a bunch of stuff.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I hope they managed to finish some of that in Mafia III but from the looks of the "open world demo", taking over businesses is a cookie cutter "kill goons/perform takedowns -> win" affair.

anus_pounder

Arcane
not too sure about the d1p anymore. I dunno. I love my AAA games, but for some reason or the other this just isn't doing it for me anymore. oh well.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I watched about half of the 2hrs long video that's on youtube. After playing Witcher 3 it's disappointing to see the samey side-missions and even how the camera is completely fixed during dialogue. It's kind of hard for me to judge graphics because of the video compression and I don't know if they are playing on max details, but that's a secondary concern to the obvious problem of how boring the gameplay is.

sser

Arcane
Developer
How did they make the shootouts look worse than Mafia II? The guns have no real sound or kick to them and headshotting people is like stepping on a melting fruit roll-up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom