Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Ivan

Arcane

this actually pleases me. I always thought Mafia 2 felt too dignified to stoop to being dumb fun (shame, since it had very solid shooting and a solid cover system).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Something's telling me the #BlackLivesMatter crowd and facebook will try to conjur up a shitstorm once they get wind of this hatecrime-game. But hey, the more publicity, there more $$$ for 2K. Worked with Hot Coffee too.

Mazisky

Magister
A lot of recent hands-on (last 24 hours) are extremely positive about the game, expecially with characters and narrative, but also with gameplay that feels different from classic Gta clones. We'll see

Ivan

Arcane
as I said, the core gameplay in Mafia 2 was very solid. they just held you on a tight leash for the whole campaign. this seems to have a more bombastic tone. it bodes well for the game

Mazisky

Magister
as I said, the core gameplay in Mafia 2 was very solid. they just held you on a tight leash for the whole campaign. this seems to have a more bombastic tone. it bodes well for the game

Previews says this has the good narrative and chars of previous mafias but with a real open world, so it can really be a good game

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems like any other popamole open world trash, Mafia was a hard game. You could die on seconds on a firefight an guns had a big recoil, especially the machineguns, shootouts were fun because there wasn't Health regeneration.

I really dont give a fuck anymore for GTA and its clones, on the gameplay video above, dude gone from objective to objective cover shooting regenerating his health killing dudes with recoiless weapons with pinpoint accuracy while the ai is as dumb as a sack of bricks.

I wouldnt take the word of reviews seriously about this having a good story, afterall reviewers on big sites are uneducated, ignorant, low common denominator pop culture creatures with zero taste and just a bunch of SJW cucks, What makes their opinion even more suspicious.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Seems like any other popamole open world trash, Mafia was a hard game. You could die on seconds on a firefight an guns had a big recoil, especially the machineguns, shootouts were fun because there wasn't Health regeneration.
Yeah. Mafia had great story, writing, atmosphere etc., but it was the combat that really made it into one of my all-time favorites. All of the story-related shootouts were very memorable and intense, forcing you to stay on your toes at all times, and you were always looking forward to them. It was such a huge disappointment to find out that Mafia 2 replaced all that with a generic cover system, and because of that it took me years to properly check the full game out. None of the combat scenarios have any real punch to them, it's just the same boring shit over and over again.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah. Mafia had great story, writing, atmosphere etc., but it was the combat that really made it into one of my all-time favorites. All of the story-related shootouts were very memorable and intense, forcing you to stay on your toes at all times, and you were always looking forward to them. It was such a huge disappointment to find out that Mafia 2 replaced all that with a generic cover system, and because of that it took me years to properly check the full game out. None of the combat scenarios have any real punch to them, it's just the same boring shit over and over again.
Yep. remember the first serious shootout on the roadside dinner? Shit, you felt like getting into a fight was serious business, now you look to this crap and you are bored just of looking the gameplay trailer, it is the same shitty fight with enemies that can't really fight back for the rest of the game, over and over. At this point, they are just changing the skin colour and outfits of the fish you need to shoot in the barrel.

Nowdays, when people talk about story, they are just talking about the shitty cutscenes usualy made by third rate writers, the idea of gameplay supporting the story is too old school. You know, on Mafia 1, you dreaded getting into fights, and that is what you should feel as the life of a mob thug isn't exactly easy as your character giving up to the police right of the start makes it clear. On Mafia III, you a super black dude killing white gangster armies alone hugging walls and regenerating health. Of all open world games, those GTA clones are the most trite.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I played it back then, I almost gave up on the game right there. I just couldn't believe that you were forced to come in first place to be able to continue the story. Took multiply tries but eventually. I do remember that you could cheat in the race... was that the added thing in the patch or was it there from the start?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The cheat was there already in the 1.0 version. I think the patched version might've actually removed it while notably lowering the difficulty of the race itself.

The mission wasn't that hard anyway. It just required a bit of patience, as you could easily fuck things up in a flash by making some dumb mistake. As long as you took the lead early on and then made sure you didn't crash into anything, you were pretty safe.

Mazisky

Magister
At the time i had great experience because for years i played a lot of racing games, and i was pretty confident in playing racing stuff with keyboard, still found it difficult (but managed to do it after some repetitions).

I wonder how people who never played racing games felt and i'm pretty sure that misson ruined the overall experience with the game to a lot of dudes

Also, the graphic engine was really heavy, i had a good pc but struggled a bit, still a beautiful game, don't get me wrong

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
One thing that many people probably didn't realize about Mafia 1's keyboard controls was that you had two different steering methods — you could use either the normal WASD controls or the arrow keys (or whatever you set as the secondary directional buttons), and they handled differently, with the other keys turning the wheels instantly to an extreme position, suitable for making tight turns, and the other ones turning them gradually, allowing for more precise steering especially at high speeds. In normal gameplay this made little difference, as you were mostly just driving around the city at forty miles per hour, but in the race it was certainly useful.

The Mafia devs certainly had a lot of love for their cars. At some point they were planning on making racing its own game mode, and the game also had support for steering wheels and joysticks. Few players probably shared their feelings on the driving mechanics, though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Boy, this is worse than I thought in some respects:
- Missions consist of slightly varying one-sentence motivations to go kill some people, leading to an unrealistic bodycount that breaks the feeling of authenticity that comes from the acting/writing. The main character is forced into the role of one-man army who kills 50 thugs per side mission, and spends the rest of the time in argumentation aimed to explain the player why he actually has the moral high ground. Hint: because he is black and life is unfair to blacks, also Vietnam war. Oh my, so deep, such "moral ambiguity"! By the way not an unrealistic line of thought for a criminal, to justify his way of life, only plain boring as gameplay opportunities provided.
- I saw scripted melee takedowns of enemies shooting at the player from point blank range.
- Whistling-based 'stealth'. Stealth, my ass. No ability to move dead bodies.
- Trailing mechanics are nice, but following a car looks piss easy.
- Lethal vs non-lethal takedowns don't make any short- or longterm difference from narrative point. No equivalent of the chaos meter of Dishonored.
- Lockpicking/forcing minigame - again moronic
- Using genades as combat opener - as if it needed to get any more easy. Grenades cause completely unrealistic amounts of damage, being localised to 2-3 feet radius.
- Shootouts as a whole look repetitive shit boring.
- The only means of making cars and boats unusable to the enemy gangsters is by blowing them up with genades. Wat?
- Item, alertness and whatnot indicators all over the fucking screen.
- Enemy taking out his gun to protect his buddy, and the AI making him use the gun as a melee weapon felt very nice. The fact that Lincoln wasn't overwhelmed by the two goons was dumb though.
- Side missions look frightfully repetitive, obvious filler. Provoke unpleasant questions in the lines of "are you even trying"?
- Pathfinding/target acquisition AI glitch at 21:57 was hilarious, but it wasn't the only such occurrence.
- "You got a nice setup here, doc. Sign with me, and I'll keep you going" - yeah, right, after you killed half his workforce, you stupid fuck? Even if the hoods agreed to work for you after you killed their friends, a mass murder like that would probably lead to FBI involvement. Sacking of the facility to investigate the gruesome murders would eventually result in indictments of some mid-level mobsters, as a result the whole operation in Nawlins would be put in big danger. Basically Take2 are trying to convince us they are taking a realistic approach to their game's story while giving you cartoonish levels of violence in the gameplay. That's what never clicked right in any Mafia game. It's enough to imagine the public outcry resulting from the insane number of murders this guy preforms per minute of gameplay.
- "SEX" racket - using the word sex. So realistic, so mature.
- Overall: half an hour of gameplay like this and I would fall asleep in front of the computer.

I'm anticipating a shitstorm of butthurt and denial-struck popamole fanboys, but the game is being released soon, and I'll be returning to this post again. Sad thing really. Six years, and they come up with this banal! shit! boring! "go to point X kill bad guys dial phone" side missions? On a Mafia game of all things!?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the time i had great experience because for years i played a lot of racing games, and i was pretty confident in playing racing stuff with keyboard, still found it difficult (but managed to do it after some repetitions).

Well, the difficulty is such because Tommy obviously isn't a race driver and I think the devs tried to translate that into the gameplay.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
How's the overworld in Mafia 3? The one in 2 felt really tacked on, selling stolen cars and robbing stores was pointless since you lost all your money during several points in the story, and all you could buy were guns that you were already given for missions. Granted the first Mafia didn't have much to do outside of the main storyline either except for those side missions the mechanic gives you, they were still a lot more memorable than anything in 2.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I know, in Mafia 2 these features were not fully implemented when the game had to be released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom