Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Mafia 2 had great atmosphere and nice visuals. Too bad you had to do so much tedious trivial shit to get to the actual fun parts. A completely un-replayable game. Mafia 1 had a lot of trivial tasks too but it also managed to have a lot better pacing and more freedom in missions. Since I don't imagine they'll be returning to the style of the first game, they might as well turn the third part into GTA clone.

In March 2K Czech was rumoured to be helping Rockstar with the development of Grand Theft Auto 5, working on cutscenes and general gameplay.

Why would Rockstar need their help with anything in that department?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
the gangster sequel had been intended as a next-gen launch title, but this is now unlikely as the developer, 2K Czech, is still in the process of staffing up after the loss of some 40 staff last year.

More than 40 staff members at 2K Czech, the studio behind crime epic Mafia 2, are looking for new jobs following redundancies this week.
According to a statement handed to Develop, the cuts, which represent about a quarter of the studio's total workforce, are part of a cost-cutting drive.

*counts on fingers*

That's still a decent sized studio even after the layoffs.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Didn't the previous game lose a lot of money for the devs? Rather odd to do this gamble. More interesting would be how the next gen console games will be different from this gen.

Angthoron

Arcane
the gangster sequel had been intended as a next-gen launch title, but this is now unlikely as the developer, 2K Czech, is still in the process of staffing up after the loss of some 40 staff last year.

More than 40 staff members at 2K Czech, the studio behind crime epic Mafia 2, are looking for new jobs following redundancies this week.
According to a statement handed to Develop, the cuts, which represent about a quarter of the studio's total workforce, are part of a cost-cutting drive.

In March 2K Czech was rumoured to be helping Rockstar with the development of Grand Theft Auto 5, working on cutscenes and general gameplay.

I guess they needed help with...

...the cost-cutting-scenes!

:yeah:

Norfleet

Doesn't this nonsense belong in Consoletrash? Vaporware game for a vaporware console, at that.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Doesn't this nonsense belong in Consoletrash? Vaporware game for a vaporware console, at that.
Console trash "role-playing games" is where they go in that subforum. If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying please say so.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Mafia is comfortably in my Top 5 games.

But I have yet to play Mafia 2.

I hate cover-shooting that much.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Great, I am really looking forward to a 4 hour long game with a cliche story and compromised almost entirely of chauffer missions.

Seriously, I am still baffled by how terrible Mafia 2 was. The graphic weren't that outstanding, the shooting was sparse as were any interesting missions. The plot skipped ahead like mad and you could tell that about half of the game was cut out for some reason (God knows why, they had plenty of time).

After two years, the only thing I remember from the game is driving around town the entire time, dropping people off and picking them up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How can Mafia be the best game of all time when Mafia 3 is the best game of all time?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
How can Mafia be the best game of all time when Mafia 3 is the best game of all time?

9t01fp.gif

"An excellent question!"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How can you deny the existence of the best game of all time?!!?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-10-2k-czech-restructuring-mafia-3-moving-to-us

2K Czech restructuring, Mafia 3 moving to US?
UPDATE: 2K confirms shake-up.

By Robert Purchese Published Friday, 10 January 2014

UPDATE: 2K UK has responded, confirming the below report.

"We have relocated and consolidated our 2K Czech team from our Prague facility to centralise resources in our location in Brno. Additionally, we are transferring some development resources from Prague and Brno to 2K headquarters in Novato, CA," said 2K in a statement sent to Eurogamer.

"This transition will both strengthen the integration of the 2K Czech team with our award winning development teams, and better align cross-functional business practices. As part of this realignment, we are adjusting our staffing levels, resulting in the elimination of some positions."

ORIGINAL STORY: There are major changes afoot at Mafia developer 2K Czech, reportsEurogamer Czech.

The main Prague office, where Mafia 3 is suspected to be in development, is apparently to be closed, shedding staff to office-number-two in the city of Brno, where Mafia 2 was made. There will also be some lay-offs.

2K Prague is expected to close within a few months.

10 key developers from 2K Czech are also said to have been relocated to 2K's main office in Novato, California (it's not clear if this is the team BioShock Infinite 'closer' Rod Fergussonis leading). Why, though - is Mafia 3 development moving continents?

We heard in August 2012 that Mafia 3 was heading to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and was originally intended as a launch title. Lay-offs prevented 2K Czech fulfilling that schedule, but it suggests work on the game must already be far along.

Eurogamer Czech's information comes from well-placed sources. 2K Czech had no statement to make.

Mafia 2 came out in 2010 and was a bit of a turkey. "Mafia 2 is fascinating," John Teti concluded for Eurogamer, "not in spite of its innumerable mistakes but because of them. It's the ultimate example of a game designed to look nice in television commercials and achieve nothing else."

Bye bye, 2K Czech. :hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom