Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://twitter.com/supererogatory

mafia4hwzxz.png

Seems like they moved Mafia 3 development to the new San Francisco studio, starting from scratch.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Mafia 2 little barebones? :D. Mafia 2 was like 180 min long mafia epic cut into barely 90 minute tv-film.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Mafia is comfortably in my Top 5 games.

But I have yet to play Mafia 2.

I hate cover-shooting that much.
Too bad because Mafia 2 is an excellent game and an improvement over the original. I just replayed both of them back to back, and while Mafia is great fun, Mafia 2 is the superior game (despite some flaws). Never understood the hate it got.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Too bad because Mafia 2 is an excellent game and an improvement over the original. I just replayed both of them back to back, and while Mafia is great fun, Mafia 2 is the superior game (despite some flaws). Never understood the hate it got.
No, Mafia 1 shootouts are way harder and don't have cover shooting magic on them. Some missions even allow for different approachs while Mafia 2 are corridors and more corridors. I was bored with the way Mafia 2 story got nowhere for most of 3/4 of the game, while Mafia story has a much better pacing.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

No, Mafia 1 shootouts are way harder and don't have cover shooting magic on them. Some missions even allow for different approachs while Mafia 2 are corridors and more corridors. I was bored with the way Mafia 2 story got nowhere for most of 3/4 of the game, while Mafia story has a much better pacing.
That's true, but not all shootouts in Mafia 2 were corridors and linear. I did not mind the cover mechanic, in fact a lot of situations in Mafia 1 were frustrating because of how accurate the enemies were and how deadly.

But i love the vehicle handling and detail in Mafia 2 (i mean the tyres deform as you drive around, not even racing sims have this), love the city and the sound and the overall polish. And it looks and performs amazing, unlike garbage like GTA4.

Plus i've got all the DLC and with them there's a lot of varied missions and stuff to do. The game should've shipped with them, but i'm sure the publisher had a say in this.

Overall Mafia and Mafia 2 are very similar in structure and missions etc. So not sure why all the hate for #2.

DeepOcean

Arcane

That's true, but not all shootouts in Mafia 2 were corridors and linear. I did not mind the cover mechanic, in fact a lot of situations in Mafia 1 were frustrating because of how accurate the enemies were and how deadly.

But i love the vehicle handling and detail in Mafia 2 (i mean the tyres deform as you drive around, not even racing sims have this), love the city and the sound and the overall polish. And it looks and performs amazing, unlike garbage like GTA4.

Plus i've got all the DLC and with them there's a lot of varied missions and stuff to do. The game should've shipped with them, but i'm sure the publisher had a say in this.

Overall Mafia and Mafia 2 are very similar in structure and missions etc. So not sure why all the hate for #2.
Mafia 2 is a better game than GTA IV at the time it was released, it's a solid game but the problem is that the original is a much better game. I still remember how I needed to be careful in shootouts, enemies were deadly and even one could end you if you were in low health. After a certain point, in Mafia 2, I kinda got bored with mowing down waves of enemies. It was just another third person shooter ruined by casual mode (a.k.a cover based shooter) and with a story with terrible pacing. I was bored with the characters by the time they started doing something interesting and your character has the personality of a wooden door as well.

Divinity: Original Sin
Mafia 2 had a big city but you were constantly being held by the plot and missions. Mafia 1 had the same structure, but the structure of missions made better use of the open world, and there was no "urge" to keep inside missions, like in mafia 2.

I liked mafia 2, but mafia 1 had a more captivating story. I really felt Mafia 1 was a great homage to scorcese and coppola movies, and mafia 2 did feel like a generic shooter.

Mafia 1 also was very difficult because of its lack of saving points and accurate AI, but I can't explain why this made it addictive instead of frustrarting.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Valid points. All im saying is that i replayed both games a month or so ago, and loved them both. Mafia 2 is not inferior. Cars physics were improved, map was improved, i did not mind the cover mechanic and the game was challangeing on highest difficulty, i liked the garage and how you can upgrade your car, story was good, stealth was improved, i liked the boxing and lock picking minigames, robbing shops was fun as was changing outfits, not to mention the attention to detail was just superb.

A good sequel. May not be better, but it isn't worse either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mafia 2 was terrible. Stopped playing after three or four hours. I'm sure this will be equally bad. Also lol @ 'must have Louisiana accent.' Especially if this is set in New Orleans where most people have more of a Brooklyn-ese accent than a hickish Cajun one.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Sorry bro Mafia 2 was excellent. I played both games back to back, and Mafia 2 is in fact better in a lot of ways than the original. Stop exagerrating.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry bro Mafia 2 was shit. I played both games back to back, and Mafia 1 is in fact better in a lot of ways than the sequel. Stop having shit taste.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
News said:
10 key developers from 2K Czech are also said to have been relocated to 2K's main office in Novato, California

Brilliant!
So the protagonist for Mafia 3 going to be a Italian tranny fighting against the oppressive cis Italianwhite male gangs of ye olde days of America.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sorry bro Mafia 2 was excellent. I played both games back to back, and Mafia 2 is in fact better in a lot of ways than the original. Stop exagerrating.

possibly_retarded.png

Needs to be changed to definitely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom