Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mad Max game from Avalanche Studios

DeepOcean

Arcane
Tidbits from latest Game Informer:
  • On foot hand to hand combat still feels like the Batman: Arkham games. Rhythmic button presses, counter-attacks, and being able to roll or dodge attacks.
  • You can find various "Vantage Points" around the wasteland that are tethered hot air balloons. Going up in these you can use your binoculars to scout the area to find resources, landmarks, strongholds, scarecrows and even see enemy convoys. Discovering these adds them to your map similar to State of Decay. Some of the Vantage Points however might be chained up meaning you'll need to use the Magnum Opus's harpoon gun to free them or the hot air balloons might require fuel.
  • Save/Checkpoint system is described as "forgiving". If you find scrap or a collectible you don't lose it despite dying and when you do die the game respawns you at the nearest Vantage Point or liberated stronghold.
  • You can take out Scrotus' strongholds and doing so reduces his influence in the Wasteland and the vacant strongholds allows for other wastelanders to move in and take refuge. Likewise, totemic scarecrows littered around the Wasteland to terrorize wastelanders can be destroyed to further reduce his influence.
  • Chumbucket also acts as a sort of GPS by pointing interesting landmarks.
Ubisoft the game, again?

This looks like Just Cause on the Wasteland, hope not but this doesn't look promising. Man, all those open world games are looking more and more the same to me. Some of the best scenes of Mad Max movies are on the road on crazy chases, I don't know if this generic "let's conquer stronghold thing" that is going on on every open open world these days really fit in on the spirit of the movies. Fuck, I don't even know if I guy called Scrotus leading some wasteland gang and keeping a chain of strongholds on the fucking wasteland for some reason makes much sense. Let'ds see if the vehicular combat is more than aim guns and shoot random cars and the resource gathering is more than busy work.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That kind of open world seems popular, so that's what studios make. Asscreeds and Shadow of Mordor were painfully, mind-numbingly boring, but Just Cause 2 was p. cool fun in very small doses (granted I let my kid brother do most of the repetitive shit, kids are autistic enough to enjoy that kind of thing). I guess it's just wishing for too much, but I'd like it if ammo was very scarce like in Road Warrior, and damaging your car was a real concern.

buzz

Arcane
No Mel = No sale.
Fucking jews man, the dude is entering his 60s and still doing action/thriller movies like it's nothing. And he's just as awesome as ever. Mad Max 4 involving a really old Max would've been awesome.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
"Freedom! Player autonomy! I think that is like the absolute core, BUT, we want to give everything context, and that's what I think makes our game special!"

Aenra

i like how certain people working for "businessmen" that did just that, spawned sequels "loosely based" on the originals so as to profit, come here to call rape and explotation on other "businessmen" .. doing exactly the same ..
:M
i like it even more when same certain people have had no issues telling people that said inclined product did not have any issues whatsoever with technical factors such as say overheating PCs to the point of shutting down, and surely, it being incline(TM), this was de facto their own fault. Somehow. Nothing to do with their being occupied in said product's studio. I may not be posting long, but i sure can read.

But i am getting too cynical, i know. Must re-check my double standards, they seem to be suffering from an equilibrium condition as of late. The horror.

Yes, it was incline, even if one did not love it, even if only due to initiating the KS craze
No, this really is what happens when you both work somewhere, and post under the same name everywhere. Honest, and to be appreciated, but morally problematic. If only potentially.
Of course i am not the one bringing the money in the Codex with special prizes and contests, so i know which way the gavel swings, but truth be told and all that yeah?

And yes, i too think think it will probably be shit. But most definitely NOT because someone saw 'profit'. Nothing wrong with that per se :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks apocalypse-pretty, but batman combat. Part of the new formula for open world games?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
That's because it is dumb but it also looks pretty. Also it will be released on Linux.

Off-topic: The thread title should be corrected: the new Mad Max movie is clearly decline but the new Mad Max game cannot be decline because it is not like we already played a better Mad Max game.

Ivan

Arcane
Avalanche games are unabashedly dumb. Do you remember the final rocket riding mission of Just Cause 2? I don't think they can do grimdark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom