Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking - Inspired by Ultima 3 (released)

k0syak

Cipher
Some more stuff (forgot to DL the updated executable, so everything is for 1.0.3):
Tara the cloak seller in W.Dispertine is bugged (run-time error 9) and crashes the game when you try to buy from her;
Shield of Deflection - checked and it can't be equipped;
Any chance to get a (at least slightly) bigger version of the world map? I haven't mapped shit for a very long time and get confused easily, went into some secret passage in the mountains south of the lake and almost got lost :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Rats. Sorry about that. I will check that out when I get home this evening. Thanks!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
(alt.bro) Hmmm...Kind of struggling with how to change the map. It was actually not an easy feat post-fact to create (required some work in R with the heatmap function and a lot of watching youtube videos on photoshop). I will think about it, but the best i could say for now is walking in any one general direction should bring you to a road, and roads pretty much always lead to safety. Really the only way to enhance what was done would be an old nintendo power magazine-style screenstitch, and that would be cheating.
We *could* overlay a grid ontop, so that once you got a key item that gives you X,Y location in the game, you could figure out where you were, but by that time you will probably have a good lay of the land...?

k0syak

Cipher
Ended up upscaling the map image to 200% and drawing over it (on another layer), so far pretty manageable.
Also couldn't stop myself from peeping into files under 'convo' to see if I missed anyone important - are numbers under NPC names coordinates? :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Also couldn't stop myself from peeping into files under 'convo' to see if I missed anyone important - are numbers under NPC names coordinates
Whoooooaaaaaaaa. You are only cheating yourself, man....I knew we should have encrypted those. Stupid honor system....
:o

k0syak

Cipher
Also, is it me or the 'Travel Song' sounds like 'Hairless Heart' by Genesis?
(it even seems to flow into 'Counting out time') :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I just posted v1.1.0 to itch.io

o I fixed the vendor bug (Tara in W. Dispertine) and the Shield of Deflection equip bug.
o Included in this build is the option to safely and instantly bypass the full night phase of the day/night cycle by pressing [Z].
o Also, both MIDI and MP3 music is included. The default music is now MP3, but you can switch back (and forth) to MIDI during game play by pressing [F1].

This update needed to be a complete package since I needed to edit some of the game data files so view the ReadMe in the package for instructions on importing your data (you basically just replace the 'Data' folder in the new build with the one you have been using). If you are using any custom music files, that is fine too; they just need to replace the ones in the Music folder of the new build.

Many thanks to all of you giving this game a try and providing great feedback and discussion. Would love to hear from anyone who is getting deep into the story. Back to working on L2. Cheers!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
This is a very entertaining game, I'm loving the exploration so far and combat while simplistic is quite effective.

I have been unable to find any penalty for having party members killed other than backtracking to the free healer, am I missing something? I think this game would greatly benefit from having a perma-death system like in Ultima 3, or something equally assholish.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
It was initially so difficult to get started without your whole party dying that we added the free healer. She cuts you off after like level 3 and basically tells you to get a job and pay for your own healing. Tough love.

k0syak

Cipher
The "z" key is finally working (and is nice), but Shields of Deflection still can't be equipped. Maybe something to do with carrying the save over from previous builds?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Thought for sure I had that so I didn't test it. :) I will take care of it. Thx

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Shields of Deflection still can't be equipped. Maybe something to do with carrying the save over from previous builds?

Nope. Something to do with a 'Can't Equip' flag in the item record being incorrectly set. Had to fix another item as well. If you download this new items file and replace the current one in LurkingData/Data you should be good to go. If that doesn't work, open the file with a text editor, search it for reflection shield, and change the description to "broken item". :)

https://goo.gl/br22Z3

k0syak

Cipher
Gonna try it later, must acquire larger graph paper first (and it's weekend already) :)
25oueyb.jpg

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Emojis could not even express what I am feeling right now. I am speechless.

B0rt

Novice
combat while simplistic is quite effective..

worth mentioning if anyone's just downloaded this -- don't worry, combat unfurls a bit as you play. not U6 level or nothing but still, it's nice. simple is OK when it's this smooth eh

k0syak

Cipher
Bought some (a lot actually) A4 graph paper for some PROPER mapping :)
Also processed the maps I did on small paper
avmz6a.jpg
BTW, what are the Troll Claws for? I've got Forge Fists (which boost stats) on everyone, is it worth swapping?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
BTW, what are the Troll Claws for? I've got Forge Fists (which boost stats) on everyone, is it worth swapping?

Nice job mapping, and thanks for the spoiler tag. Forgefists and troll claws have equal protection, but troll claws give you a health boost whereas Forgefists give you a strength boost, I believe.

k0syak

Cipher
Report inbound :)

Some bugs/issues:
- In the map image that you posted Meridia is totally misplaced to the east :)
- When playing Eternal Rest, other characters (not the bard, usually position #1, sometimes #2 as well) miss turns while undead get dissolved.
- When playing a song that lasts for several turns, "_charname_ continues to play" - displays name from save #1 (I'm playing on #2).
- Typo: Faramore in E.Dispertine reacts to "MEWIPS" instead of "MEWLIPS".
- Tempeste in Krow doesn't teach the spell, gives a scroll instead (intended?).
- After using ICE9, entered Stormpeak and left - the lake is back to normal; had to cast Escape, go back to Thalasea and ask for ICE9 again.
- Minstrel Ring is equipped to the same slot as the instrument, oversight?

Gameplay questions:
- How do Dragon Claws compare to Forge/Troll gloves?
- Is "Dirge of Darkness" useful outside of the quest?
- Found a small gem somewhere, is it a quest item? Haven't seen other gems, but it's sellable.
- Can I drop the letter to Perry and Calxacerbus tome after using them?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Thanks for great feedback!
Troll claws give 2 protection and +1 to combat skill. Dragon claws give 3 protection and +2 to combat skill. Forge fists give 2 protection and +3 to combat skill.
Dirge of darkness has only one use related to the quest.
You can drop those items after using them. Dropped items remain in a chest. Critical items that you find and drop can always be returned to you for a small fee by consulting Nick in the castle. Rings and music instruments both equip to special so in most cases a musical instrument does not need to be equipped in order to play a song. The other bugs you mention in spoiler I appreciate you finding very much. If you get a chance please zip up a copy of your game data folder and email it to me... That will help greatly with the ice issue which is the only one I'm not immediately sure how to fix. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom