Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Image of ship carrying your party remains static regardless of the direction of movement.

• Major decline. Well worth at least an image for four cardinal directions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Btw, it is not in the read me yet but since all spells must be learned, if you rolled up a mage with magic skill 4 or better you get a ranged magic attack from the start. To use it, make sure the character has either no equipped weapon or a staff equipped for upped damage. Cost is 2mp per channel magic attack.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm. Just started up the demo and made a new party and started the game with success. Has anyone else tried the full game and/or demo and encountered this?

The demo started and played fine here. The only bug I found was that the game locked up in the Settings menu, but I can't seem to reproduce it.

Would you mind sharing what windows version? I am trying to rule some things out trying to fix this.

Windows 10

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
. The only bug I found was that the game locked up in the Settings menu, but I can't seem to reproduce it.

This was a bear. Couldn't be reproduced because it only happens the very first time you start the game. Thanks for letting me know and thanks brother Justin for locking down when it happens. Fixed for next update.

V_K

Arcane
Ok, I've finally tried to run it, and I have the same issue as with L1: mp3 sounds/music. If the mp3 files are in their directories, the game freezes at title screen. If I delete all the mp3s, I can create a party, but pressing "journey onwards" produces and "unexpected error" (503).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Ok, I've finally tried to run it, and I have the same issue as with L1: mp3 sounds/music. If the mp3 files are in their directories, the game freezes at title screen. If I delete all the mp3s, I can create a party, but pressing "journey onwards" produces and "unexpected error" (503).

Thanks for letting me know. Still working on the Error '5003' for JD. MP3 thing might be separate. What Windows version?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
If anyone has successfully run Lurking II (beyond 'Journey Onward') on other than Win10 please let me know.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Looks like (oddly enough) the 'Unexpected Error 5003' was related to the L2 game icon of all things. I have replaced it with an 8bit version which actually looks identical but should be compatible with all windows systems. I have updated both the full game and the demo on itch. There are a few more minor updates associated with these files but nothing critical. Please let me know of any further issues. Thanks! :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Made some good progress on the documentation today. Decided to start out with an html format that will display in browser. Should have a version to put out there before I head out for vacation at the end of this coming week.

Princess Rage

Novice
o Just did some work on mon AI to back out of or sidestep situations where 3 or more party members are threatening. Needs a bit of work but def seems to make combat more challenging.

o Little brother reported to me over the weekend that convos are about 25% done.

Here is where I would love some input: I set up battle turn order based on mon speed (slow / med / fast) and character agility (1-10) such that the fastest get a turn every round, med get a turn every other round, and slow get a turn every third round. Not really working. I liked the idea of faster getting multiple turns per round but it just seems awkward the way the turn jumps around and a party of five can just beat the crap out of a single slow monster like a giant. I am thinking of assigning mons an agility of 1-10 (same as chars) and just running through the order from fastest to slowest but each gets a turn in battle each round. I could also do this but give multiple turns in a row for faster chars and mons. At a bit of a loss as to what might work best.

Didn't feel like creating a new account so I'll just keep using my bro's account for a bit:

I'm guessing you're still thinking about this and working on it since it was only a few weeks ago (My apologies, but I'm not planning on going through the thread to check)

The thing about the initiative = more moves thing is that it can make determining turn order much more of a pain in the ass. I see that you're game doesn't have a turn bar but even with a turn bar that let's you go ahead as far as you like (never seen a game that does have such a turn bar by the way) it still creates ass pain. For example, to figure out what the new turn order will be after casting an AoE haste or some such can be quite a pain when you've got units with a bunch of different initiatives. On the other hand you could just choose to accept ass pain and/or imprecision. I guess I live with it in the HoMM games but I did find it to be a bit of an issue.

I'm not necessarily saying this is the best idea but an option to consider would be something like more action points for faster creatures or simply having them have multiple turns in a row.

Also, you might want to consider separating the speed of different actions. It makes sense for a man with a large machine gun to be able to attack much more frequently than a man with a crossbow but it doesn't make sense for him to run several times faster than him, for example. You could have something like a Time Point (TP) pool (representing simply a "turn's worth of time") and then different costs for different actions depending on various game factors. The machine gunner would use few TP for an attack but many TP for moving a certain distance.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
o Just did some work on mon AI to back out of or sidestep situations where 3 or more party members are threatening. Needs a bit of work but def seems to make combat more challenging.

o Little brother reported to me over the weekend that convos are about 25% done.

Here is where I would love some input: I set up battle turn order based on mon speed (slow / med / fast) and character agility (1-10) such that the fastest get a turn every round, med get a turn every other round, and slow get a turn every third round. Not really working. I liked the idea of faster getting multiple turns per round but it just seems awkward the way the turn jumps around and a party of five can just beat the crap out of a single slow monster like a giant. I am thinking of assigning mons an agility of 1-10 (same as chars) and just running through the order from fastest to slowest but each gets a turn in battle each round. I could also do this but give multiple turns in a row for faster chars and mons. At a bit of a loss as to what might work best.

Didn't feel like creating a new account so I'll just keep using my bro's account for a bit:

I'm guessing you're still thinking about this and working on it since it was only a few weeks ago (My apologies, but I'm not planning on going through the thread to check)

The thing about the initiative = more moves thing is that it can make determining turn order much more of a pain in the ass. I see that you're game doesn't have a turn bar but even with a turn bar that let's you go ahead as far as you like (never seen a game that does have such a turn bar by the way) it still creates ass pain. For example, to figure out what the new turn order will be after casting an AoE haste or some such can be quite a pain when you've got units with a bunch of different initiatives. On the other hand you could just choose to accept ass pain and/or imprecision. I guess I live with it in the HoMM games but I did find it to be a bit of an issue.

I'm not necessarily saying this is the best idea but an option to consider would be something like more action points for faster creatures or simply having them have multiple turns in a row.

Also, you might want to consider separating the speed of different actions. It makes sense for a man with a large machine gun to be able to attack much more frequently than a man with a crossbow but it doesn't make sense for him to run several times faster than him, for example. You could have something like a Time Point (TP) pool (representing simply a "turn's worth of time") and then different costs for different actions depending on various game factors. The machine gunner would use few TP for an attack but many TP for moving a certain distance.

All the things you mentioned and more turned out to be a major mess when I tried to go down that road. I also am too lazy to go back and check the date but it feels like a long time ago. It just didn't work nor could I make it feel right and I backed out. L2 combat is WAY better than L1 and the algorithms that stuck make for some very interesting 'strategery'... Some of which was not planned but just works out so I take that as a good sign. You make some good points that I will definitely consider, even moving in to my next project as well so thanks. Hopefully as L2 is played more I will get a better idea from feedback as to how my combat goes over and what needs to be tweaked.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
One example is that Justin keeps telling me that mons move/act too quickly outside of battle mode. My position is that one of your characters gives warning of foe type and general direction ahead of time so the point is to either flee cross country or enter battle mode and start to form up (or pause the game if you need to think about it for 5 minutes). Even the fastest mons can be outrun (albeit with some slight challenge causing you to use terrain to your escape advantage).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I'm not necessarily saying this is the best idea but an option to consider would be something like more action points for faster creatures or simply having them have multiple turns in a row

BTW, this is a GREAT idea that actually did occur to me and that I thought would be nice. Problem was that development moved pretty fast and by the time I realized the cool implications of this, I was at a point where implementation would require a major overhaul of the combat system and especially mon AI (to effectively utilize consecutive turns).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Although incomplete, I have added a download of the L2 manual to the L2 itch page before I head off to warmer climes for a few days. In particular, the journal of Doktrojusi will obviously be greatly lengthened. If you have played, please advise me of any absent content that you feel should be added. Thanks!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
The L2 release trailer is... finished? I do not envy those who make videos because I find the work irksome and tedious. Before we go live with this, please check it out and let me know your thoughts on it. If changes need to be made, I would like to make them and forget this experience forever. :) Thanks!

https://youtu.be/j0htgLgz5-8

KA_moose

Novice
Maybe I'm a moron but I had to pause the video to read the text because of the font used.

V_K

Arcane
Font definitely needs changing, and the text needs some editing. I'm not a native speaker but "some there were who resisted" sounds very grammatically incorrect to me. Couple of questionalbe articles in other places too.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I'll buy the game on itch, will I get a Steam key (if released) ?

V_K

Arcane
Readability is definitely better, but it clashes with the atmosphere a bit. Why don't you just use the font from the combat log?
I'm not a native speaker, so I might be wrong, but I'm bugged by "one by one the people began to fall". I think it either needs a specification ("the people of Whereveria") or doesn't need an article.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
In the absence of any issues reported, Lurking II: A Madness is now officially released. This game is the intense work of just two individuals over a period of about 18 months. Production cost: $0.00, heart, soul. We are so proud of what we have created. I have lowered the price to $5.00USD because after all, we just want people to experience our game. It can be downloaded from itch.io at the following link…

https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeANOPY4WAw&t=14s

Journey Onward!

PS, the only thing that could possibly motivate me to make another game is the appearance of a Vermys. :)

Jinn

Arcane
In the absence of any issues reported, Lurking II: A Madness is now officially released. This game is the intense work of just two individuals over a period of about 18 months. Production cost: $0.00, heart, soul. We are so proud of what we have created. I have lowered the price to $5.00USD because after all, we just want people to experience our game. It can be downloaded from itch.io at the following link…

Will be purchasing very soon on itch.io, or directly off of steam if that is soon to follow. Game looks great and your passion shines through. Congrats on the release, friend!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Journey Onward!

PS, the only thing that could possibly motivate me to make another game is the appearance of a Vermys. :)
Damn, just let me get my cards sorted and I'm buying.

KA_moose

Novice

Journey Onward!

Picked up a copy on Itch. It has been fun watching your development on here, I hope you see some success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom